Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get "Akiba's Beat." The joke with Akiba's Trip was that it was written ambiguously so it could have been Akiba Strip. Maybe they didn't have anymore wordplay left in them.

I still need to beat Akiba's Trip, I like what I played of it. I hope after the sequel to that we can get a new Way of The Samurai for PS4.

I don't get "Akiba's Beat." The joke with Akiba's Trip was that it was written ambiguously so it could have been Akiba Strip. Maybe they didn't have anymore wordplay left in them.
Perhaps the tag line will be something like: Akiba's Beat: Your Meat.

There might be a translation thing where it has a word pun in Japanese, but not so much in English.

All I see when I hear Akiba's Beat is this:

tumblr_inline_o7wvvtcnY71r9hyvx_250.png

Maybe...

Akiba's Ex

Akiba's Punk

Akiba's Tart

Akiba's Perm

Akiba's Ass

AkibaScum

Akiba's Tocking?

I guess I'm in the fifth grade again...

Perhaps the tag line will be something like: Akiba's Beat: Your Meat.

There might be a translation thing where it has a word pun in Japanese, but not so much in English.
I'm guessing the B is silent and it'll actually be a game about trying to get a seat in the fine dining establishments in Akihabara.

Still looks more fun than the boring, delayed mess that is Star Citizen
yeah all the stuff that the head guy is doing to those workers who cant work out the game when he keeps changing midway through the development or canceling the previous work, may never come out, glad i didnt pay all that money for ships and just the base game, i am pissed that the actual space map that was supposed to cover everything got dumbed down like that

A bit off topic, but I forgot how expensive next week is going be be in terms of new releases.

Atelier Sophie, Odin Sphere and Mirror's Edge.

My wallet is in pain.  :cry:

I guess I should mention that there's no free DLC on PSN this update. I expect some next week for at least Atelier Sophie though. There is an unrelated free Witcher theme this week. Also a lot of Neptunia avatars for $0.50 that showed up last Wednesday.

Hey, had few questions about photokano kiss...

How difficult is it for english only speakers to navigate? how about getting trophies?

Is there an english guide online anywhere?

Is there really any point if you can't understand any of it?

Does this work with PSTV? I believe it doesn't

Thanks 

How difficult is it for english only speakers to navigate? how about getting trophies?

Is there an english guide online anywhere?

Is there really any point if you can't understand any of it?

Does this work with PSTV? I believe it doesn't

Thanks
Isn't photokano a vn? I imagine it'd be pretty difficult if you don't know japanese. You can ogle the girls in photo mode sure, but you can do that in a few other games too.

You can also try emulating the psp game to get an idea.

How difficult is it for english only speakers to navigate? how about getting trophies? difficult.

Is there an english guide online anywhere? no

Is there really any point if you can't understand any of it? only if you're a fan and/or willing to do a blind playthrough

Does this work with PSTV? I believe it doesn't probably not. It would say so on the back.

Thanks

Mary Skelter ‘Mad Nightmare’ trailer; Blood Skelter Mode, protagonist actions, and three desires details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKmXylSg-38

PS4 Gets New Free Themes: The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars and One Piece: Burning Blood

One Piece. The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars - The theme will be available only until August 28th. Bandai Namco did something peculiar: the theme is available only from the store directly on the PS4, and not on the web store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfxbpn_cqSk

Final Fantasy XV’s Character Profiles Tell Us More About Noctis And His Bros

Tales of Zestiria the X’s New Trailer Shows More Of Sorey And Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5iZ_osbJE

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE story trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkk2fEw8QvA

Harvest Moon: Skytree Village announced for 3DS

Resident Evil 20th anniversary video interview: Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Yasuhiro Anpo

Discussing their memories of working on Resident Evil 5 and touch on the anticipated Resident Evil 2 remake.

Akiba’s Beat Gets First Screenshots and Art on Famitsu

Fate/EXTELLA Gets New Screenshots on Famitsu, Reveals Servants

XBlaze Lost: Memories launches June 21 in Europe

Sega “looking into” Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X for Europe

Criminal Girls 2 coming west in September

NISA noted that in order to bring this game westward, it had to modify four aspects of the game from its Japanese release

I can't quite decide which I want. $50 for the LE is a decent price given its just a tiny art book with CD and an outer box.. Basically an Atlus tax price and edition xP

The extra stuff in the party bag doesn't seem interesting. The art prints are nice, but there are better games/characters to have prints of (imo).
So $25 with free shipping and basically just meh art prints, or $50 LE and get NISA to combine with my Touhou LE order for free shipping that way. I'll probably do the latter and hope neither game gets delayed.

Criminal Girls 2 LE's are also up on NISA Store. $50 LE, or $75 for LE + Party bag (It will also hit free shipping if you do this)

LE

http://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/criminal-girls-2/criminal-girls-2-party-favors-limited-edition

cg2_3d-retail-esrb-rp_1.jpg

LE + Party Bag

http://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/criminal-girls-2/criminal-girls-2-party-favors-party-bag-edition

cg2_3d-partyedition-storefreeship.jpg

\
The party bag version looks good.

I like that they included a list of changes being made

1 - Redrawn art.
We had a bit more time to work on this title. We didn’t want to make any alterations to the game that would be jarring to the experience or feel “off,” so we worked with the original artist of the game who redrew the art for the Motivation scenes that might have caused issues due to their explicit nature. We didn’t want the game experience to change though, so we are also investing the extra effort into incorporating Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors’s unique Live 2D effect into the new art.

2 - Terminology changes.
As with the first in the series, Criminal Girls: Invite Only, “Punishment” will be framed as “Motivation,” and other terminology changes from the first game will also apply here. There may be a few other translation changes as well. This reduces the power distance between the player character and the girls in the Reformation Program and makes the activities of the game more consensual.

3 - No native language dialogue.
Like with Criminal Girls: Invite Only, we will not be dubbing the game in English. The game’s text will be in English, but the spoken dialogue will be the original Japanese voice track.

4 - No Motivation scene dialogue.
Some of this could cause an issue with power distance, or perceived consent of the activities of the game. This dialogue also represented a technical challenge to localization, because there are no subtitles. Thus, another reason this dialogue was removed was to avoid a situation of no text to accompany several lines of untranslated Japanese being spoken.
1 actually sounds like an improvement. 2 is silly but it is what it is. 3 is generally desired and 4 sounds like a "hands tied" situation.

It's refreshing that they at least address the situation. Only time will tell though, as gameplay video becomes available.
^this. I love how transparent they are being about the changes, instead of the vagueness that we usually got in the past. The picture they included really helps with what to expect.

Oh I liked Criminal Girls 1....not bad at all. I will likely get the game with the GCU discount....I really don't do LEs anymore though I would use that microfiber cloth.

^this. I love how transparent they are being about the changes, instead of the vagueness that we usually got in the past. The picture they included really helps with what to expect.
Exactly! This is great especially compared to some large tight lipped company that tries to pass the blame for changes onto the developers.

I'm also a huge fan on NISA being open about it. Part of the frustration is having to guess what's going to be different. If a good reason is given and the changes are detailed to temper expectations it's much more tolerable.

My favorite part about changing stuff in these kinds of games are that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who will either buy it and never play it or never play enough to ever see the scenes that were changed.

My favorite part about changing stuff in these kinds of games are that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who will either buy it and never play it or never play enough to ever see the scenes that were changed.
I platinumed Criminal Girls and didn't feel like it took away from the game at all. Of course, it isn't a game that I would play in mixed company or publicly. I felt it was a pretty decent dungeon crawler, with enough humor, and a decent enough battle system to buy the sequel.

Gonna pass on CG2.

I had to laugh at the wordplay, they call censorship "changes" just like punishment is called "motivation".

Clearly they were told that the west can't handle seeing women being punished or what could be

misconstrued as "abused" even though the tittle of the game clearly states they're criminals,

so you'd think it's not unwarranted in a way.. haha

The mind gymnastics to actually make sense of all that is just funny.

*gets off soapbox*

You also forget complain and are never intending to buy it, but want to join in the complaining game. People complain about everything. Instead they should be about the good stuff...that girl has nice feet, I like the way her character looks....that arse.  =P~

I asked NISA Support if they had any better samples of the art cards since you can barely see the leftmost 2-3, and they said they'd be updating the page (no estimates, just 'soon') if anyone else is also interested

I don't know if this has been mentioned but on their Facebook page NISA mentions the Party Bag edition being exclusive to their store so there's a chance the limited edition could show up on Amazon/Best Buy for 20% off.

I never finished Criminal Girls but I played enough of it to unlock most of the punishment scenes and eventually made Tomoe a knight. The purple haze wasn't that bad and if I really wanted to get off on the picture/punishment I was doing I probably could.

However, I rarely played on the bus unless I was in long stretch of dungeon crawling and I didn't need to "motivate" any of the girls.

I want to see the changes that they do in a gameplay video and I'll make better judgement if I want to purchase it but I'll probably wait until it a little cheaper but it might one of those rarer titles unless they have a digital version.

Why does everyone run off assumptions of what the ESRB will say? Why not take them an unaltered version of the game (the Japanese one) and see what they have to say before you go making changes you think are doing to appease the board?

As with the first in the series, Criminal Girls: Invite Only, “Punishment” will be framed as “Motivation,” and other terminology changes from the first game will also apply here. There may be a few other translation changes as well. This reduces the power distance between the player character and the girls in the Reformation Program and makes the activities of the game more consensual.

They showed some serious restraint leaving the word patriarchy out of this paragraph. Glad to see NISA realigning someone else's art to fit western marxist's values. Top shelf work, guys. Stop apologizing for these chucklefucks. If you're desperate to play the game pick up a used copy on ebay after release.

Why does everyone run off assumptions of what the ESRB will say? Why not take them an unaltered version of the game (the Japanese one) and see what they have to say before you go making changes you think are doing to appease the board?
That costs time and money
The rating process takes forever, a dev would only want to go through it once.

I get the aspect of people wanting the "full game" or whatever, but when what the people are arguing for is more virtual pedophilia, I really gotta wonder.

I get the aspect of people wanting the "full game" or whatever, but when what the people are arguing for is more virtual pedophilia, I really gotta wonder.
"what the people are arguing for is more virtual pedophilia"

for me, i ague that am a adult an should be allowed the same entertainment as another state/country with out the world fearing am out for someone kids or a closet case pedo hunter.

i get it the majority find it perverse an want control what accessible for fear the pedo seekers will come out in force an for some reason before they left kids alone but now that we accepted these games/anime/manga, we will now spiral down a deeper hole of sin, incest an any other dark things less we control the masses with censorship...

bread's done
Back