Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragon Quest isn't popular enough over here. Final Fantasy is more popular because we're graphics whores in America, and Dragon Quest never pushes what the platform can do, providing a solid and heartwarming adventure instead.

Anyway, I'm excited about Yakuza 0, the game that will get me to buy a PS4. That trailer is slickly produced and I hope the subtitle size is the text size ingame because this tiny text crap is BS in 2016.

I don't like how Dragon Quest XI apparently hasn't been confirmed for localization and that its likelihood might be based on how DQ Builders does here. :???:
I fully expect them to just not say anything. Then once 2019 rolls around they'll be like "30th anniversary for Dragon WARRIOR in NA! We're releasing Dragon Warrior XI! Oh and PS4 only."

I fully expect them to just not say anything. Then once 2019 rolls around they'll be like "30th anniversary for Dragon WARRIOR in NA! We're releasing Dragon Warrior XI! Oh and PS4 only."
as long as they keep the monthly fee, they refuse to put up any servers in the west for it

Just a heads up that the Steam Summer Sale begins in a week, Thursday the 23rd. It will last about two weeks.

Adult western gamers struggle with cartoon graphics apparently.  And consoles didn't catch on in the west until the Playstation!  lol..

Apparently I have been sending the wrong message by buying every DQ game at retail.  Maybe they should actually develop a TV console game for once?  Because the last one we got was DQ8 on PS2 11 years ago in 2005.  They have made exactly two dragon quest console games since "consoles caught on in the west with Final Fantasy 7".  Talk about making yourself look foolish and making the company look incompetent and unappreciative.   You were perfectly fine with  cashing in on all those DS titles at the time. 

Not to mention JP execs never seem to take any accountability for the quality of their games.  It has to be outside forces why their game didn't sell well. 

DQ RPGs are so old school I can usually stand only 1 or two a year. There stories are alright, the gameplay is consistent, the music is great, and the graphics are alright but not great. I will support the remakes on 3DS at least. I've been waiting to play this DQ7 remake forever, as I played some of the previous PS1 version, but even back then it looked like poop and was ultra slow. I should have given it more time, but will do so with the remake in September. I can't wait for it it will be my portable RPG for September while my console RPG will be Final Fantasy XV. A good month.

DQ RPGs are so old school I can usually stand only 1 or two a year. There stories are alright, the gameplay is consistent, the music is great, and the graphics are alright but not great. I will support the remakes on 3DS at least. I've been waiting to play this DQ7 remake forever, as I played some of the previous PS1 version, but even back then it looked like poop and was ultra slow. I should have given it more time, but will do so with the remake in September. I can't wait for it it will be my portable RPG for September while my console RPG will be Final Fantasy XV. A good month.
I've actually considered snagging the DQ remakes on the 3DS just to support them being released here. My son owns a 2DS and wants a "new" 3DS XL...so I might just snag his 2DS.

In summation: Dragon Quest has become non-relevant and we blame western tastes.

Ni no Kuni says hi.
That game was able to captivate some of my friends that weren't very big JRPG fans. I had one linking me the E3 info on the sequel and thanking me for turning him onto the first one.

In unrelated news, my persona 3 team has been assembled!

5c2f61e5a5.png

Adult western gamers struggle with cartoon graphics apparently. And consoles didn't catch on in the west until the Playstation! lol..

Apparently I have been sending the wrong message by buying every DQ game at retail. Maybe they should actually develop a TV console game for once? Because the last one we got was DQ8 on PS2 11 years ago in 2005. They have made exactly two dragon quest console games since "consoles caught on in the west with Final Fantasy 7". Talk about making yourself look foolish and making the company look incompetent and unappreciative. You were perfectly fine with cashing in on all those DS titles at the time.

Not to mention JP execs never seem to take any accountability for the quality of their games. It has to be outside forces why their game didn't sell well.
I've got a huge appreciation for DQ, owned the original(back when I had no idea it was called anything but Dragon Warrior) on the NES and loved it. I agree with everything you said.

Has anyone ever heard of people getting in trouble for sharing Play-asia codes? I never noticed it's prohibited before. I've given and received codes before without problem.

Has anyone ever heard of people getting in trouble for sharing Play-asia codes? I never noticed it's prohibited before. I've given and received codes before without problem.
I've read where someone has used a code and when they had to contact support, the rep said it was tied to someone else's account. They didn't seem to care enough to make a fuss over it. My thinking is, I don't care if someone is sharing a $5 off code when they have to spend $60 to use it.

I'm a huge DQ fan. I just always thought it was poorly marketed in the west, and that is why it did poorly. There are so many people that would like it and just don't know of it or much of the series. Final Fantasy VII on the other hand was marketed like crazy. I think I read that Sony did a lot of the marketing for FF VII, to help push the ps1.

The last line of that article makes me nervous. I actually was pretty confident that we would be getting DQ XI when I saw it announced. Now he makes it sound like we might not.

Final Fantasy XV Gets Tons of Info on Gameplay, PS4 vs Xbox One Differences, Game Length and Much More

The team will anticipate 40-50 hours of gameplay just for the main story, but there are a lot of extra sidequests. Just the extra stuff alone is about 100 hours. The whole game, everything included, is probably going to take 200 hours to complete.

New Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past E3 2013 Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjtx8xIsgY

Watch 30 Minutes of New Yo-Kai Watch 2 E3 Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMDkEqktyw8

Capcom wants to localize The Great Ace Attorney, “certain circumstances” preventing it

10 minutes of off-screen Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XRtUXz3KRw

What don't you get? He seems to imply that it would be too difficult to localize because it would be too difficult to sink the voice movements when dubbing the game. My point is why worry about dubbing it at all? The game has an English speaking character, which apparently isn't a problem for Japanese speakers. However, it's not ok for Westerners to play the game, in it's current state, because other characters in the game speak Japanese.

Is the framerate for RE6 always this bad? I just played the opening after buying the ultimate edition from that recent sale and the game looks and plays terrible. QTEs everywhere and framerate dips constantly.

Not happy about the Digital Only Release fr Caligula. 

When you wish ATLUS did limited physical print runs

Jim Sterling playthrough/review of Mighty No 9.

[media]https://youtu.be/QqGrhkF0AXQ[/media]
Not that I actually have much desire to play this anymore after all the drama involved, but is anyone else a little bitter they're sending review copies out prior to backer copies?

Well considering you got a manual with the game it's comparable to some of the piss poor CE offerings anymore. ; )
Fair point lol, but a $99 CE that only included a manual would still get raked over the coals nowadays. I mean, those $49 Atlus first press editions come with more than that and we still complain about those.

Hopping in the Dragon Quest conversation. I've played 8, and DQM. I also own Heroes, but havn't played a lot of it. I loved DQM because of the Pokemon/Digimon like system. As for 8, it is in the top 5 games of all time for me. I've bought it multiple times over the years and I cannot wait for a remake. I'll buy every game that comes out to enjoy it. And I'm learning Japanese so hopefully I can import if needed. But they need to give us more over here.

It's terrible in every which way. Sorry for the loss of your money.
Thanks. I'll just order the ps4 version then since it runs at 60fps, I'll just have to count the losses on the PS3 version. An action game that runs below 30fps is just terrible.

Edit: Just walked into this dining hall in Leon's story and the framrate is dipping below 30fps AGAIN. Damn son this game is a mess for a RE game.

I remember paying $99.99 MSRP for Phantasy Star IV on Sega Genesis. This was a standard edition, there were no CEs back then.
And that was a wonderful game. My first taste into JRPGs was Final Fantasy III/6. It was my friends, and before I had enough money saved for a SNES, and FFIII/6, I was able to talk my mom into buying me Phantasy Star III from the bargain bin....it's not such a great game. Luckily it was only $14.99. My point for that story is, how much did it such when we would pay $70-$100 for a game and it ended up being terrible?

Oh you simply had to play games before dropping the money back then.  Either rent it or if it was obscure enough you would go to Funcoland and try out any of their used games.  I really don't know how big of a presence Funcoland had outside of Minnesota though.  They all merged with, but then were acquired by, Gamestop shortly after the turn of the century. 

bread's done
Back