Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I play Star Ocean 5 the more of a mess it becomes.

I got stuck in this one boss battle for 3 hours because the game basically forces you to have a specific role learned to make it ez mode otherwise it's a pain in the ass in which you'll keep getting a game over.

The Mechanic is to keep Anne alive thru waves of MiniBosses that destroy her in 3 seconds, not cool.

Difficulty spikes in bosses are greater and greater the further you go along & it's not fun.

Grinding only does so much, it's about unlocking roles & leveling them so your character doesn't die in 3 seconds...

I don't enjoy that at all, Mind you this is on Normal... I don't wanna know wtf Hard is like. Let the tryhards figure it out, I sure as fuck ain't.

The option is there for JP or English audio but I haven't tried it yet. So I'm guessing yes.
That was one of the major things I read was that regular fights you seem overly powered, then the it spikes for boss battles and they become utterly unfair. I quit playing Demon Gaze due to the fact that some of the end game boss battles were specific in strategy, and kept seeing my tanks get one hit killed. It was at least a fun game until that point. I can only imagine playing a boring game like that.

Monster Monpiece is definitely worth the $1.99.
I second that though the locking mechanism for leveling up some certain monsters is garbage, and pretty much forces you to play multiplayer to complete your monster girl collection. Also the game drags horribly in the last chapter and was frankly alright at that point. Still a good one overall that I actually beat and had fun with.

There's so many Tales games on PS3... never noticed

I'd like to play them... but PS4 isn't backwards compatible :applause:

The more I play Star Ocean 5 the more of a mess it becomes.

I got stuck in this one boss battle for 3 hours because the game basically forces you to have a specific role learned to make it ez mode otherwise it's a pain in the ass in which you'll keep getting a game over.

The Mechanic is to keep Anne alive thru waves of MiniBosses that destroy her in 3 seconds, not cool.

Difficulty spikes in bosses are greater and greater the further you go along & it's not fun.

Grinding only does so much, it's about unlocking roles & leveling them so your character doesn't die in 3 seconds...

I don't enjoy that at all, Mind you this is on Normal... I don't wanna know wtf Hard is like. Let the tryhards figure it out, I sure as fuck ain't.
I'm assuming you can't adjust the difficulty on the fly like in the Tales series?

Would starting the game on a lower difficulty result in a more enjoyable experience?

Glad everyone is giving their opinion about Star Ocean V.....Was going to pick it up after work, but I may wait and just get some psn stuff. I just loved the game series at one point, but there is definitely a lot of mixed opinions for the game.

Saw that movie a while ago too, but it was Yazuka 4 that got me hooked on koi-koi. I probably spent more time playing that and mahjong than getting the Platinum
Speaking of which...are there any good Mahjong games out there? There's a few Mahjong games on Steam, but nothing really enticing. Apparently nobody buys these games since there are hardly any reviews. Should I just play Yakuza 4 for the minigame instead?

I'm assuming you can't adjust the difficulty on the fly like in the Tales series?

Would starting the game on a lower difficulty result in a more enjoyable experience?
No you can't change difficulties. Otherwise I wouldn't be bringing this up!

I'd suggest if you don't want a headache to try out easy.

Thing is, the game itself isn't very hard but these weird mechanic boss battles make it extremely annoying & difficult.

Glad everyone is giving their opinion about Star Ocean V.....Was going to pick it up after work, but I may wait and just get some psn stuff. I just loved the game series at one point, but there is definitely a lot of mixed opinions for the game.
I just started playing it and graphic is awesome and Voice acting and battle system is great!!

Or he could just like the game. The metacritic for the game is bad but it wasn't universally panned. Some critics did enjoy the game.

Speaking of which...are there any good Mahjong games out there? There's a few Mahjong games on Steam, but nothing really enticing. Apparently nobody buys these games since there are hardly any reviews. Should I just play Yakuza 4 for the minigame instead?
Need to petition LRG to localize this for PS4/Vita...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Tg9mgNgPs

^__^

The mobile Mahjongg Nagomi is pretty good. The same people made a Steam version with animu girls, but I thought it was much worse.

There's also the Saki game.

There's also a few adult ones that are good.

How is Fairy Fencer F? Is the Steam port worth the $7.50.

Also how fuck ing shit is Castlevania LOS MOF HD? I remember trying the 3DS Demo and feeling unimpressed but it's $3.50. Debating on that one as well.

How is Fairy Fencer F? Is the Steam port worth the $7.50.

Also how fuck ing shit is Castlevania LOS MOF HD? I remember trying the 3DS Demo and feeling unimpressed but it's $3.50. Debating on that one as well.
Since there's a "Director's Cut" of Fairy Fencer F named Advent Force or something along those lines for the PS4, I would probably pass on it. There's a chance it may be brought to the PC which is the base game with more content and fleshed out story I believe. Though if you really want it, I think I have an extra copy sitting in my inventory on Steam that I'd give you for free. Just shoot me a friend request and I can toss it your way.

As for for Castlevania, I never really cared for any of the Lords of Shadow ones nor the Mirror of Fate. None of them really felt like the 2D games, which is what I preferred with the series.

Maybe I missed it, but does the physical release of Shantae risky beats contain every Shantae game? I was thinking about picking them up off the psn sale today

I just started playing it and graphic is awesome and Voice acting and battle system is great!!
ruPc6rg.gif

If Amazon isn't answering Askys questions, then I'm guessing they aren't on board for shipping separate, or whatever they requested they do.

This is why I don't buy any of these NISA titles through amazon. I'm more than happy to pay the extra shipping to insure a proper condition upon arrival.

Also, did anyone else get their shipping notice for ZTD from Gamestop yet? And if so, was your card charged yet? I got my tracking number although it's not active, but my card wasn't charged.

I actually had 1 copy of each version ordered, and on my order page now, it shows the watch for the Vita game as not being shipped yet, but the 3DS game no longer shows the watch at all. So I'm planning to return that one to the store once my order arrives, but I can't do that if I haven't been charged. I hope their not waiting until the watch ships to charge me, but I guess it's possible.

I can't see GS shipping any order of any kind without getting their payment first, even though they are splitting the order up because of the watch.
I called my store since I am supposed to pick up from them. They said they are delaying all the pick up orders until the watches arrive. They said they will call each customer with a preorder, so I'll update CAG'ers as it develops. Keep your fingers crossed.

Edit: they said about 1-1.5 weeks

I called my store since I am supposed to pick up from them. They said they are delaying all the pick up orders until the watches arrive. They said they will call each customer with a preorder, so I'll update CAG'ers as it develops. Keep your fingers crossed.

Edit: they said about 1-1.5 weeks
Yeah, it's been 2 days now, and no activity on the tracking they sent, WTF?!

So they are just creating shipments that they aren't going to send for a few weeks, and all that does is keep someone from cancelling, as now the order is technically shipped, but you can't change anything. So in reality, your order is just sitting there in limbo until the watches show up right?

Well at least they don't seem to have charged me yet, so I guess that is kind of OK, but this wreaks of some under handed GS tactic.

Yeah, it's been 2 days now, and no activity on the tracking they sent, WTF?!

So they are just creating shipments that they aren't going to send for a few weeks, and all that does is keep someone from cancelling, as now the order is technically shipped, but you can't change anything. So in reality, your order is just sitting there in limbo until the watches show up right?

Well at least they don't seem to have charged me yet, so I guess that is kind of OK, but this wreaks of some under handed GS tactic.
Youuusssssss guysssssssssss ezzzzzzzzz screwwwwwwweddd.

Youuusssssss guysssssssssss ezzzzzzzzz screwwwwwwweddd.
It's all good, as long as I get a watch. Normally I would have gotten extras to flip, but this time I just wanted to make sure I got one, so I order from a few different places, and I'm still not sure if I'll get one or not.

I think Askys will come through one way or another, but the waits no big deal for me, as I haven't finished the last game yet, so I'm in no rush for this at all.

Now for a lot of other guys, their going batshit crazy over this delay. Some guys even said fuck it, I'm just going to buy it digitally, and wait for the other shit to arrive whenever. I'm like, no way I would buy a game like this twice, just to avoid a few weeks wait.

I guess I was hardcore like that once upon a time, but now I could care less. I've got so many AAA titles in my backlog, that a game like this is just getting a place in the queue along with all the others, so it can arrive whenever.

I Am Setsuna artwork, pre-order bonuses announced

I Am Setsuna is due out digitally for PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam on July 19 for $39.99.
Those themes look nice at a glance, but I hope they put up some preview videos for them so I can see if they're dynamic and feature nice music to go with them.

I will be waiting on Star Ocean 5, looks decent to me but not a full price day one purchase. I would've been happier getting the PS4/Vita port for Star Ocean 2 if SE ever decided to localize that.
Was there a port of the first one, or just the second? I still have the PSP ports in my backlog, but wouldn't mind re-buying them on PS4 or Vita for easier playability. Maybe if 5 sells well there's a chance it will be brought over...

Oh yeah, there are a couple of Steam Summer Sale bundles that use their new dynamic bundle system and decrease in price if you own any of the games in it already:

JRPG Bundle

Metroidvania Bundle

They're not particularly good (Extra 15% Discount), but the only one I don't own in the JRPG Bundle is Disgaea and am able to get it for a few bucks cheaper than the Summer Sale discounted price if I decided to bite. Hopefully more developers/publishers switch over to the dynamic bundle system as owning games in the bundles often stops me from ever purchasing them.
The new dynamic bundle system is great. Already bought a game for less thanks to it. It's so much better then the old system where you just lost out. It's surprising it took so long though.

I tried that briefly at E3 and it seems cool but I was not expecting $40
Yeah, I was surprised as well. I would have thought this would have been a $20 or $30 game at most.

And speaking of Star Ocean 5, got my CE from SE today. Bigger than I was expecting, but a pretty nice set. I don't know how many were made, but my ID card was numbered 99XX (don't remember the exact number). I guess that's the number X,XXX/XX,XXX copies for this release.

That should be all the big releases for a while since ZTD is delayed. Time to go back to Tokyo Mirage Sessions :)

So not only is amazon fucking up with ZTD, My grand kingdom was given release date delivery but its not here turns out they just didn't ship it until today.

bread's done
Back