Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, just a heads up regarding Amazon Pre-orders and the double discount. 

If you are using a gift card to pay for a game and the discount is applied (or the double discount) it will show you have a negative balance on your order. For example, it showed I had something like -$26 after the Stranger of Sword City LE had the discount applied. I didn't know how I would be credited that money. 

Turns out it is easy. Open up the order, and to the left of the totals you will see "Apply Gift Card Balance." Just click apply, and the difference between what was originally taken for your gift card and what the item actually costs will be applied back to your balance. 

I was a little worried to test it, but it worked like a charm, and the $26 or whatever was added right back onto my gift card balance. 

Sorry if this has been posted before! 

I love Miku as much as anyone else, but is Mirai DX worth it for the sale price? Hate to see the vocaloid squad in a resolution worse than a PSP.
I had trouble getting into Project Diva because of the difficulty. I loved Mirai and still play it regularly. BTW, anyone have the Mirai soundtrack CDs? Worth it?

I love Miku as much as anyone else, but is Mirai DX worth it for the sale price? Hate to see the vocaloid squad in a resolution worse than a PSP.
Try the demo.

The nendoroids grow on you.

Shiren is the definitive roguelike, IMO (I specify roguelike because Rogue would be the definitive of the genre by default). All the roguelike staples are there, plus the difficulty is always high without being unfair.

In the SNES/DS game, some of the monsters toward the end of the game will screw you up pretty bad if aren't careful (and often when you are). There are a few monsters the mere sight of whom will make you go "wait; what?? NO! HOLY CRAP STAY AWAY FROM ME!!"

..So yeah, great roguelike.
Look at it this way, the Mystery Dungeon franchise is so strong that almost every single roguelike put out by Japan since looks more like MD than any other western style of roguelike.

It's an incredible game system that has, unfortunately, been screwed up more than it has been done right. Sorcery Saga and EMD were fine experiences but really lousy games.

But DS Shiren is an incredible game and my favorite roguelike by miles. The spoilers you need to know can fit on an index card, rather than the CONSTANT googling needed in the Nethack or Angband styles. It's incredibly elegant and still some of the strongest of the genre to this day.

It's quite possible, in fact almost likely, Shiren 5 will mess it up but I'm taking that bet all the same.

"Mandatory Happiness"? Wonder if someone was listening to Weird Al's "Mandatory Fun" album a little too much.
Well in psychopasses world you are either happy or you die. Unless you are happy about death/other bad things. Psychopass is the world where they give the rape and kidnap victim the death penalty :shame:

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary - March
Criminal Girls: Invite Only - April

coming to PC

Grand Kingdom has been officially dated for June 21st.

NIS America now moving on to Stranger of Sword City, which is out on April 26th. 

Touhou Genso Rondo coming to the West this summer for PS4. Holy shit. Pls be coming to retail.

Need that Criminal Girls sequel to be announced for localization...I liked the original more than I thought I would.

Yomawari: Night Alone coming out late 2016 in the West for the Vita

Before ending the Press Event, they also teased Criminal Girls 2

Touhou Genso Rondo coming to the West this summer for PS4. Holy shit. Pls be coming to retail.
The PS Blog says that it is a psn release :cry: We’ll be bringing a heart-pounding competitive shoot ’em up Touhou Genso Rondo (Working Title) to PS4 via PSN later this year.

Just A reminder Beat Blades Haruka Mangagamer 18+ game coming out next week 02/29/2016:

$31.45 pre-order

Link 18+ NSFW

I'm really iffy on this though i'm sure i'd like it. Anyone play this one before?

Went ahead and ordered Mirai DX from the Best Buy sale. The demo's good, but I'll probably have to stick to tap play because I can't over the button placement. 

According to The O Network
Yomawari Physical Editions: If they do it will be VERY limited. stay tuned. Just like Firefly Diaries

https://twitter.com/tononet/status/701981079851249664

Just got my cancellation too.  "Out of Stock" huh?  If you say so.  They'd better have that 8.00 per-authorization charge off my account by tomorrow.

Square Enix Revives Xenogears with Figureheads Crossover; Full Reveal Inside

Square Enix fully revealed their Xenogears crossover with their upcoming mecha game Figureheads, which will enter its pre-beta phase on PC on February 25th. Several characters from Xenogears will appear in the new game, including Fei Fong Wong, Elhaym Van Houten, Citan Uzuki and Bartholomew Fatima.

Caligula Announced For PS Vita, An RPG With Persona 1 And 2 Scenario Writer
The Legend of Legacy makers FuRyu recently teased a new title, and this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine reveals it as Caligula for PlayStation Vita.
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana Will Have Two Protagonists

The character in question is “Dana,” the mysterious blue-haired girl that appears in Adol’s sleep. While Adol dreams, he’ll get to relive her life and experience it for himself. Dana is said to have more power and speed than the veteran hero Adol.

Uppers delayed to unannounced date in Japan

“One reasons it that the number of pre-orders haven’t reached the amount we thought they would,” Takaki said. He added, “If we consider today’s market, they’re not numbers that we can realistically swallow.”

Persona 5 Director On Its Voluminous Content, Characters, And Its Social Link System

Series chief director Katsura Hashino recently shared the latest on the development of Persona 5 in the March 2016 issue of Persona Magazine.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Adds Naotora Ii From The Samurai Warriors Series

Koei Tecmo announced that Naotora Ii from the Samurai Warriors series will be joining Dead or Alive 5: Last Round as a guest character on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and arcade. Famitsu provides us with a first look.

Persona 5 Director On Its Voluminous Content, Characters, And Its Social Link System

Series chief director Katsura Hashino recently shared the latest on the development of Persona 5 in the March 2016 issue of Persona Magazine.
oie_z_MPb_O2p_Qinh_N.jpg

Yet another early PSN update, so here's the free junk list for this week:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (as mentioned by UltimateIdiot911)

PS4 Mission Packs:

2 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-2/cid=UP0700-CUSA02966_00-DSDLCQUEST001102

3 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-3/cid=UP0700-CUSA02966_00-DSDLCQUEST001103

4 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-4/cid=UP0700-CUSA02966_00-DSDLCQUEST001104

Vita Mission Packs:

2 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-2/cid=UP0700-PCSE00755_00-DSDLCQUEST001102

3 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-3/cid=UP0700-PCSE00755_00-DSDLCQUEST001103

4 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-mission-pack-4/cid=UP0700-PCSE00755_00-DSDLCQUEST001104

Megadimension Neptunia VII (Colosseum Battles)

Duel Shock Weapon: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/duel-shock/cid=UP0031-CUSA03133_00-DLC0000000000006

Gamindustri's Dark Demon: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/gamindustri's-dark-demon/cid=UP0031-CUSA03133_00-DLC0000000000010

Invading Squeed Aliens: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/invading-squeed-aliens/cid=UP0031-CUSA03133_00-DLC0000000000007

It's Hard for Unpopular Men: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/it's-hard-for-unpopular-men/cid=UP0031-CUSA03133_00-DLC0000000000009

Tokimeki Memory (From last week because I think I missed it)

Amazon Has A Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei Pre-Order Promotion
Aksys has announced a special pre-order promotion for Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei through Amazon. People who go through the site to buy a copy of the game will receive an art book and soundtrack CD. The Amazon product page has not been updated to reflect the Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei offer as of yet. However, Aksys is promoting the deal.

Dragon Quest Heroes II details Torneko, Meena, Maribel, Gabo, Carver, and Angelo

Project Update #26

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1499145?ref=backer_project_update

1. Last chance to join the campaign!

As we mentioned in the previous update, we'll be locking down BackerKit by the end of February. We're giving one last chance for to join BackerKit for those who missed out!

Simply email us at [email protected] to get an invite. Upon receiving BackerKit email, be sure to select "Upgrade Pledge" (same goes for all $1 Backers -- otherwise you won't see any survey questions at all!)

So if you have any friends or family who missed out on the Kickstarter be sure to tell them about this!

2. We will be sending out BETA keys to all Backers who've contributed $25 or higher by March!

The translation is taking a little bit longer than we originally anticipated. That being said, Muv-Luv Extra will be ready by the end of March! You'll get a BETA steam key so you can access it as soon as it's ready. Muv-Luv Unlimited should be available by the end of April/early May which is when we'll be doing our public release on Steam.

I got the same message.

Though they're not lying to us, they do not currently have any copies of that unreleased game in stock. :roll:
Well they are lying to us about the reason for the cancellation, and I hate when companies do that. We get it, you made a price mistake, Own up to that as he reason my order is canceled. Don't make up some lie about a preorder not being in stock.

Oh, and look, it's been relisted with a $49.99 price tag. That one technically isn't in stock either, will they cancel if I order it?

Well they are lying to us about the reason for the cancellation, and I hate when companies do that. We get it, you made a price mistake, Own up to that as he reason my order is canceled. Don't make up some lie about a preorder not being in stock.

Oh, and look, it's been relisted with a $49.99 price tag. That one technically isn't in stock either, will they cancel if I order it?
I believe you misunderstood who those eyes were rolling at.

I believe you misunderstood who those eyes were rolling at.
Yeah, totally missed the eyeroll the first time lol. I agree with you, I was just venting that I hate when companies are dishonest to their customers about stuff like that. It's OK, we can take it that you had to cancel because you made a mistake in the listing. Shit happens. But no, they have to make up some stupid shit to cover it - whether its the item isn't in stock or another favorite, that the payment was denied by the credit card company.

Woohoo my FE order came in. Gamestop didn't let me down for once.

1456260119449.jpg

Oh, the box is a little dented because it came in one of those brown envelope mailers that don't even have bubblewrap. And the dent transfered to the corner of the hardcover artbook. Other than that, it's fine. I can live with it.

bread's done
Back