Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the console I buy the most for whether its physical or digital. There's just something about being able to play your games on the go. If only I had something like it as a kid those 9 hour family trips wouldn't have been so "long" feeling.
Same here. If Sony offered a 128GB card, I would have way more "digital" games to go with my already HUGE physical library. Sadly, my 64GB card is full, and I can't finish games fast enough to make room for more. LOL

My copy of Zero Time Dilemma Watch bonus edition is suppose to arrive this Thursday from Amazon.

Haven't heard anything from Aksys works yet so I'm guessing Amazon just doesn't care anymore and is sending it without the watch.

My copy of Zero Time Dilemma Watch bonus edition is suppose to arrive this Thursday from Amazon.

Haven't heard anything from Aksys works yet so I'm guessing Amazon just doesn't care anymore and is sending it without the watch.
Got mine with 1st day shipping hence the watch Got it today. Not happy

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers [Collector's Edition] (English) in stock at Play-Asia. I think some where interested in a restock in this thread.

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-og-the-moon-dwellers-collectors-edition-english/13/70a9tt
They raised the price by $50. Even I have to say play-asia is getting a little greedy here.

Does this game play like Super Robot Taisen OG Saga for DS?
No, turn based strategy like the GBA game.

Bit disappointed in delay....but really September was really expensive for me. Now I can focus on DQ7 portable and Criminal Girls 2. I may even check out The Last Guardian if the reviews are aight (I just feel it will be a short over hyped game....I just feel it).

You are correct - you'll be getting the game-only this week. At some point in the future us who preordered the Watch Edition are supposed to be sent the watch, but I'm still not sure how that is going to be accomplished since my order is now closed.

Not much going on this week either. Outside of Japanese games we have The Girl and the Robot (PC) which looks interesting. There's also Bound (PS4) which is Sony published and I believe the developer is Polish. Nothing other than that unless you want to see the utter devastation of No Man's Sky on its PC release from last week.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Office Lovers (Visual Novel / Otome)

Weekly Releases (August 14th - August 20th)

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: First-Person Shooter
- Demo: Only for the Blast Ball mini-game.
- Online: Yes.

- Comments: It looks like it's releasing this time.

Kuraburo Kai

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Brick Breaker
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Previously released on Vita.

Past Releases

August 7th - August 13th

July 31st - August 6th

July 24th - July 30th

July 17th - July 23rd

July 10th - July 16th

Mangagamer Otakon Announcements:

Hapymaher

A Kiss for the Petals - The New Generation! aka Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Nyuu Jene!

Sorcery Jokers

Shiei no Sona-Nyl -What a Beautiful Memories-

Rance 5D - Hitoribocchi no Onna no Ko -

Rance VI - Zeth Houkai -

Really good announcements compared to Sekai IMHO. Sorcery Jokers and Hapymaher look like must buys, while Shiei no Sona looks neat, but not sure. Rance 5D/VI are releasing as a combo pack this winter for $34.95. If it releases in December, I may get it. I don't like the idea of Rance as a character, or really Alicesoft games in general, but i'll give them a try sometime.

Two more Sekai Project announcements from Anime Fest:

This World Unknown

Connie Amarance

2 visual novels with second supposedly being an acclaimed Korean mobile phone visual novel hit. They look decent and both are coming to the PC. I may try them since though Connie will be out in 2017 and maybe the other some other time. 

Saw the opening in the Zesteria the X anime, and I was totally blown away with the song when I first heard it in the PV trailers a while back. Having ufotable's animation to back it up (even if it isn't synced that well with the music) is always a treat.

I'm a huge FLOW fan, and I think this is one of their best yet. It's a shame Berseria isn't going to be released in the U.S anytime soon, but at least we still have the music to listen to :D/

PS4 System Software 4.00 Will Feature Folders, UI Refresh, More

Folders. About god damn time Sony.

EDIT: Screenshots of some changes can be found on the JP PS Blog.

UI Refresh

We’ve made a lot of adjustments and improvements to PS4’s main user interface. That includes some changes you may notice right away, like new system backgrounds and a revised What’s New tab, to smaller changes like updated popup notifications and redesigned system icons. As a whole, it all adds up to a more refined and easy to use UI. The overall look and feel of the UI remains the same — it just has a fresh coat of paint.

Quick Menu

As you know, pressing and holding the PS button on your DualShock 4 brings up the Quick Menu. We’ve overhauled this menu to make it faster and easier to use. One big change is that the menu now only covers a portion of the screen, meaning you don’t need to leave gameplay entirely.

We’ve added several new items to the Quick Menu, letting you quickly get info without having to back to the home screen. You can see the online status of your friends, and shortcuts to quickly access your Party, Favorite Groups, Communities, and more. You can also customize the Quick Menu, removing or adding items as you see fit.

Share Menu

We’ve given a similar overhaul to the Share Menu, which appears once you press the Share button on your DualShock 4. Like the Quick Menu, it only covers a portion of the screen. It will save the last social network you shared video clips or screenshots to, making the process of sharing a screenshot or video a bit faster and more streamlined.

You can also upload longer video clips to Twitter (was 10 seconds, now up to 140 seconds).

Folders and Library Organization

One of the big requests we get is for more options to organize content on PS4. With this update, we’re adding functionality to create folders on PS4’s content launcher and Library. This will help collect your favorite games and select apps in one place for quick and easy access.

We’re also making some pretty big changes to the Library. We’ve added a new tab called Purchased, which will show all of the content you own — games, applications, demos, and betas you’ve participated in. As a result, the Games and Applications tabs focus on content currently installed on your system. This should help de-clutter your library, and make it faster to find the content you’re looking for.

There are some new sorting tools for your Library as well. You’ll be able to sort content by purchase date or install status, and search for specific games and apps via text input.

Trophy Improvements

This update brings the ability to view the Trophy offline. You’ll see a new “offline mode” option if your system is unable to connect to the network, letting you view your entire Trophy collection without an Internet connection.

We’ve also added a button that will let you view the content of a Hidden Trophy. The Trophy will still be hidden by default, but you can now choose to show the Trophy name and info.

Lastly, we’re changing the icons that show how rare a Trophy is. Instead of four boxes that fill, the icon looks like a pyramid with the ultra-rare Trophies at the top.

User Profile

We’ve updated the look of the User Profile, making it easier to see relevant info for a player at-a-glance. For instance, you can now see your Trophy progress compared with another player right from their profile. You can also add a background image to your own profile — perhaps a screenshot you took in one of your favorite games.

The update has even more features that won’t be available in the beta, so stay tuned for additional info on what to expect. We’ll be back with more info on 4.00, including its launch date, in the coming weeks.

PS4 System Software 4.00 Will Feature Folders, UI Refresh, More

Folders. About god damn time Sony.

EDIT: Screenshots of some changes can be found on the JP PS Blog.
smiling-excited-office-employee-holding-document-folders.png

Atlus is probably hyped over in Japan with that FFXV delay
And in the west...

Dragon Quest VII 3DS Remake

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

Phoenix Wright (Probably not much overlap)

Yo-Kai Watch 2

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (If it doesn't get delayed)

Shantae Half-Genie Hero (Probably not much overlap)

MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death

Valkyrie Drive (Probably not much overlap)

Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors

Steins; Gate 0 (If it doesn't get delayed & Probably not much overlap)

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (Probably not much overlap)

Dragon Quest Builders

Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky

Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls

Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet (Probably not much overlap)

World of Final Fantasy

And who knows what else on PC because I'm not going to even attempt to go through the September/October releases for that. For those who are more into the more niche Japanese games, the next two months are pretty bad release wise if you buy early/on release. I think a lot of people would forego other games for FFXV if it had released in September.

Also surprised that the date is just a little after Black Friday here in NA. That will lose them some sales, but not really enough to amount to much probably.

And in the west...

Dragon Quest VII 3DS Remake

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

Phoenix Wright (Probably not much overlap)

Yo-Kai Watch 2

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (If it doesn't get delayed)

Shantae Half-Genie Hero (Probably not much overlap)

MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death

Valkyrie Drive (Probably not much overlap)

Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors

Steins; Gate 0 (If it doesn't get delayed & Probably not much overlap)

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (Probably not much overlap)

Dragon Quest Builders

Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky

Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls

Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet (Probably not much overlap)

World of Final Fantasy

And who knows what else on PC because I'm not going to even attempt to go through the September/October releases for that. For those who are more into the more niche Japanese games, the next two months are pretty bad release wise if you buy early/on release. I think a lot of people would forego other games for FFXV if it had released in September.

Also surprised that the date is just a little after Black Friday here in NA. That will lose them some sales, but not really enough to amount to much probably.
Luckily, most of these I can wait on a price drop. With my backlog, and the fact that most of these aren't going to sell out, I can afford (literally, and figuratively) to wait for a small price drop, or when I have a month that isn't so overloaded with games. Though, I love seeing my PS Vita collection grow.

I can wait for a price drop on about 80% of those. I worry about Criminal Girls 2 (NISA store exclusive it seems...though I do have $6 in points so free shipping at least), but the rest I can worry about.

I wont get Trails of Cold Steel 2 unless I finish the first and I doubt I will by the time it comes out....MeiQ I will get for boobie mousepad....

Some of those just don't look amazing:

Exist;Archive, MeiQ (Compile Hearts can be poop or decent), Neptune vs Sega Girls (same)

You also forgot in that large list Root Letter as well, and with the FFXV delay that one is likely going on to my buy list. Looks very interesting and the art is excellent. 

Root Letter is one of those VITA games I mentioned before that surprised me that's even coming out in the west. Doesnt seem to have sold very well in Japan either.

I can wait for a price drop on about 80% of those. I worry about Criminal Girls 2 (NISA store exclusive it seems...though I do have $6 in points so free shipping at least), but the rest I can worry about.

I wont get Trails of Cold Steel 2 unless I finish the first and I doubt I will by the time it comes out....MeiQ I will get for boobie mousepad....

Exist;Archive, MeiQ (Compile Hearts can be poop or decent), Neptune vs Sega Girls (same)

You also forgot in that large list Root Letter as well, and with the FFXV delay that one is likely going on to my buy list. Looks very interesting and the art is excellent.
I really enjoyed Criminal Girls, so I've already pre-ordered Criminal Girls 2. I haven't even entertained the idea of starting ToCS, but I might snag a LE edition of #2 if they have once so they'll look the same. Exist;Archive, MeiQ, and Neptune vs Sega Girls will be games I'll snag later. Honestly, I stopped pre-ordering Hyperdimension Neptunia games after ReBirth 2. I like them, just not full MSRP like them. Root Letter intrigues me. I know very little about it, but I like sleeper games that get released. I still am holding out hopes that Moe Crystal gets a Chinese/English release.

I really enjoyed Criminal Girls, so I've already pre-ordered Criminal Girls 2. I haven't even entertained the idea of starting ToCS, but I might snag a LE edition of #2 if they have once so they'll look the same. Exist;Archive, MeiQ, and Neptune vs Sega Girls will be games I'll snag later. Honestly, I stopped pre-ordering Hyperdimension Neptunia games after ReBirth 2. I like them, just not full MSRP like them. Root Letter intrigues me. I know very little about it, but I like sleeper games that get released. I still am holding out hopes that Moe Crystal gets a Chinese/English release.
Trails of Cold Steel's LE was made to hold the first and second games, so I highly doubt ToCS2 will have a LE.

Root Letter is one of those VITA games I mentioned before that surprised me that's even coming out in the west. Doesnt seem to have sold very well in Japan either.
I played through Root Letter when it was heavily discounted soon after release. The gameplay felt tedious during investigations which don't have a lot of substance to begin with as you look for clues, the story takes you through too many filler locations which have nothing to do with the story, and the characters are mostly static in all routes until the True End. Even getting to the True End takes a bit because some events don't trigger correctly. It's a shame since the source material had promise. At least the art is well done. :whistle2:?

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV - Opening 12 Minutes

Atlus Unboxes PS4 Exclusive The King of Fighters XIV Premium Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc0IIRfjdj4

I actually have waited for drops in prices for regular copies of neptunia stuff since rebirth 1. I like the series....don't love it...just good and simple really. I actually really liked Criminal Girls also and had a lot of fun when I bought it for $16 on sale or something. Way better than I  expected and I grew to like all the characters and the story was decent as well. Battles were generally quick and boss battles were challenging. Just a good game, though the punishment stuff got a bit repetitive. I thought Criminal Girls 2 was listed on Best Buy so was going to order there, but will have to make an order for that one on the NISA website.

I really like that there is so much choice really that I can easily pass on games. There is gobs of RPGs, VNs and other types of games. This isn't even counting the mass amount of Steam stuff that releases every week. Lots of VNs, doujin games, shooters, etc....there. It's a great time to be a niche games fan.

EDIT: Just realized someone already posted the King of Fighters unboxing, woops. :p

ATLUS posted an unboxing of the King of Fighters XIV premium edition. Looks pretty solid to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc0IIRfjdj4

User Profile

We’ve updated the look of the User Profile, making it easier to see relevant info for a player at-a-glance. For instance, you can now see your Trophy progress compared with another player right from their profile. You can also add a background image to your own profile — perhaps a screenshot you took in one of your favorite games.
Believe it or not, this is what I am most excited for. So I can Nepify my profile even further.

Saw the opening in the Zesteria the X anime, and I was totally blown away with the song when I first heard it in the PV trailers a while back. Having ufotable's animation to back it up (even if it isn't synced that well with the music) is always a treat.

I'm a huge FLOW fan, and I think this is one of their best yet. It's a shame Berseria isn't going to be released in the U.S anytime soon, but at least we still have the music to listen to :D/
Yeah it really could of benefited from better sync with the music animation wise. I also think its lame that magi laphi an eleanor didn't get much screen time. The same with the villains. The one chick from the church didn't even get a fight scene.

That unboxing kind of makes me want to keep my King of Fighters. Helps that the demo warmed me up to the graphics and gameplay as well.

Just not sure if I'll have much if any time at all to play it...

Believe it or not, this is what I am most excited for. So I can Nepify my profile even further.
Pretty sure this surprises nobody. I doubt I'll ever use a custom theme/design for my dashboards. Hell, my desktop backgrounds are pretty plain and rarely ever changed.

Don't remember seeing it, but no matter.

From my list I'll only be getting DQVII, Trails of Cold Steel 2 & Shantae at release. I want Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse too, but I don't have time for that and DQVII. May as well grab the other down the road when I have time and hopefully at a 20%+ discount. The rest are probably wait for good discounts unless I hear a lot of stellar stuff about World of Final Fantasy, but even then I won't be rushing for it.

I've been tempted to skip out on trying to finish the last 25-30% of Xillia 2 & just moving on to Zesteria to try to catch up. I know opinions are mixed on Zesteria, but at least it won't feel like a worse version of a game I already played. :whistle2:\

Exist Archive looks awesome IMO, probably the best looking one on that list next to WoFF & *possibly* DQ Builders IMO. This review of the Japanese version got me really excited for it - looks like the closest we'll get to a Valkyrie Profile 2 follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBduVTOyYq8

It did get pretty bad reviews in Japan. I want to like it...but it just looks...kind of just OK. Otaku Overdrive also did a video review on it.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoASGLVejBc[/media]

Exist archive looks cool but the game just seems to lack personality.  The battle and character model graphics just kind of fall flat. 

It's not a day-1 pickup for me, but I do think it looks good enough that I want to give it a shot at some point.

And if nothing else, at least it's an actual game and not soft-core porn. :p

I've been tempted to skip out on trying to finish the last 25-30% of Xillia 2 & just moving on to Zesteria to try to catch up. I know opinions are mixed on Zesteria, but at least it won't feel like a worse version of a game I already played. :whistle2:
Have you played graces f? Then yes it will feel like a crappier version of graces.

*sigh* Amazon, are you seriously doing this to me again? ZTD is supposed to arrive "tomorrow by 8pm" (Tuesday), but it's still Not Yet Shipped.

bread's done
Back