Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: [customspoiler='I will never be this good though.']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg[/customspoiler]
That Nioh video is just. wow. I am not good at these games like that guy. But I will die a bunch, learn the levels, and will eventually beat the game. They just feel so rewarding.

So I just got my Yakuza 0 and Kingdom Hearts LE in the mail today from BestBuy, they shipped them in a gigantic bubble mailer. The Yakuza 0 game had it's plastic on the back ripped off and a few dings in the box, Kingdom Hearts with a few dings in the box as well. I'm surprised they didn't arrive squished.

Edit: This was BestBuys response when I told them to kindly ship them in boxes instead of a gigantic bubble mailer.

"Thanks for your feedback and your business! ^JD"

I was thinking how the Nioh release must be pretty cool for the guys at From Software.  They will be able to play through something that spawned from their very own ambitions and ideas.  They'll get a brand new Souls experience, but with a game they didn't actually create themselves. So they can have some fun going through it blindly.   It'll be a new perspective and experience that will in turn give them fresh ideas for future games.  It'll be a tribute to their game creation skills.

So I just got my Yakuza 0 and Kingdom Hearts LE in the mail today from BestBuy, they shipped them in a gigantic bubble mailer. The Yakuza 0 game had it's plastic on the back ripped off and a few dings in the box, Kingdom Hearts with a few dings in the box as well. I'm surprised they didn't arrive squished.

Edit: This was BestBuys response when I told them to kindly ship them in boxes instead of a gigantic bubble mailer.

"Thanks for your feedback and your business! ^JD"
should do store pickup. when the games (or anything in general) arrive at best buy stores, they're neatly packed in boxes. then from the boxes, they just sit on the shelves at customer service.

i always do store pickup unless it's for something niche and last min, then i have no choice but to pick the shipping option.

should do store pickup. when the games (or anything in general) arrive at best buy stores, they're neatly packed in boxes. then from the boxes, they just sit on the shelves at customer service.

i always do store pickup unless it's for something niche and last min, then i have no choice but to pick the shipping option.
You must have a great Best Buy because when I was regularly doing collector's editions for store pickup, they often were dented and broken, covered in a large sticker that was hard to remove and in two cases, they didn't even receive my game and/or they put it on the floor and let someone else buy it. In short, BB store pickup was a disaster for me.

You must have a great Best Buy because when I was regularly doing collector's editions for store pickup, they often were dented and broken, covered in a large sticker that was hard to remove and in two cases, they didn't even receive my game and/or they put it on the floor and let someone else buy it. In short, BB store pickup was a disaster for me.
they do slap a sticker with your name on the box. i'm good at peeling stickers so that never bothered me. if you're having a bad experience at one location, maybe it's time to switch to another store (or you could take your chances with delivery).

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying all best buy will handle your box perfectly but i've never had a problem with any of the best buy in my city. i used to work as a receiver for best buy in another state while attending school, so i know they come neatly stacked in boxes in mint condition. what happens afterward just depend on the employees... maybe some are field goal kicking it in the back.

One final Overwatch speculative post before the event goes live tomorrow and I make a proper post about it.

https://gfycat.com/DeadlyPrestigiousCatfish

The leaked video (of bad quality) above shows a Mercy/Symmetra (and maybe Tracer?) skin and the event arcade mode potentially being capture the flag with Tracer? Dates seem off for the video, but who knows, it's supposedly about some "Special Offer". So who knows what that means, but maybe a discount for China on buying Overwatch since the week before it is a free week for them.

EDIT: Changed video to GIF.

One final Overwatch speculative post before the event goes live tomorrow and I make a proper post about it.

http://streamable.com/mcld9

The leaked video (of bad quality) above shows a Mercy/Symmetra (and maybe Tracer?) skin and the event arcade mode potentially being capture the flag with Tracer? Dates seem off for the video, but who knows, it's supposedly about some "Special Offer". So who knows what that means, but maybe a discount for China on buying Overwatch since the week before it is a free week for them.
Arcade mode is supposed to be a 1 flag CTF or something.

Someone said the dates shown was how long the event was active for, which would be a week and it made people freak out including me. But apparently someone translated the Chinese writing in the video, and it was the dates that Overwatch would be on sale for a special price in China. Someone on Bum's stream told me so take it with a grain of salt.

ermehgerd new Overwatch loot boxes and skins! 

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Someone said the dates shown was how long the event was active for, which would be a week and it made people freak out including me.
Who knows what the hell they were one when they thought that. There's no way Blizzard would release an event tomorrow without having a game mode to go with it at this point, even if it's a very basic game mode. I think it's just a discount on the game for a week since they have a free week the week prior to those dates. They're likely just trying to generate sales over there and it makes perfect sense since the holiday for China is huge.

I'm pretty sure the event will last three weeks as per usual with the 100+ items added. Valentines day is basically right after too, but since it's so close I doubt they'll do one for it. However it'd be nice to see some characters who haven't gotten much in the way of skins get some new ones. They need some love and it'd be a perfect time to show it.

I really hope Blizzard doesn't do away with Mystery Heroes during the event since that's my main game mode though.

I'd be fine if Blizzard added in non-event skins on Valentines day. Not themed towards that holiday, just to show love for characters who haven't gotten much in the way of skins since release.

I really want to play Berseria...but I also really want to play Yakuza 0 and I need to start Gravity Rush 2. Need more time.

I have to say for Da Capo 3....man it's really long haha. I kind of drudged for a bit since the story kind of reminded me of that love and chocolate and elections VN (forgot the real name). It wasn't anywhere near as good and was more a bunch of silliness thrown in with the seriousness of other parts of this. It seems like a pretty good game, but it sometimes seems way too slow for its own good. All I know is I was somewhat thrown off by the prologue....the main game....really doesn't have a lot a lot to do with it so far. I mean i'm sure once I finish this route it will all come back to it. I think i'm on right now possibly 10-12 hours into this and still no ending yet. I'm a  very fast reader too.

I really want to play Berseria...but I also really want to play Yakuza 0 and I need to start Gravity Rush 2. Need more time.
An incredibly packed week for game releases with resident evil 7 coming out tomorrow as well. The last time I had 3 games that I wanted to play come out in such a short span I only played 1 of the them for several months :eek:
I'll probably play berseria hoping it's as good as vesperia and probably be disappointed, but maybe it'll come close

An incredibly packed week for game releases with resident evil 7 coming out tomorrow as well. The last time I had 3 games that I wanted to play come out in such a short span I only played 1 of the them for several months :eek:
I'll probably play berseria hoping it's as good as vesperia and probably be disappointed, but maybe it'll come close
I decided to put RE7 last on my list. I think I'm just more interested in the other games. I'm also in the middle of Fate/Extella...

I'll just sit here waiting until Thursday for PC Berseria because digital never unlocks early and they didn't do a true simultaneous release. At least I'll have Overwatch event tomorrow and Wednesday to tide me over. Unless they remove Mystery Heroes in which case I'll just lament.

I got RE7 preloading on steam. I want Tales but I can wait for a sale. Also got a ps4 coming in. Would have been in today but usps decided to send it to the wrong city. 

I'm glad people got to try out Tales of Berseria on Steam. It pretty much convinced me to buy it on PC after how well the demo ran. 

Anyway, I need some advice.

There's a 10% discount ($49.99 retail) for preordering the game if I have Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Zestiria on steam. They are on sale for $4.99 and $12.49 respectively on the humble store. 

Which game should I get? I'm leaning towards Zestiria even though its more expensive since it is a much better port.

I'm glad people got to try out Tales of Berseria on Steam. It pretty much convinced me to buy it on PC after how well the demo ran.

Anyway, I need some advice.

There's a 10% discount ($49.99 retail) for preordering the game if I have Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Zestiria on steam. They are on sale for $4.99 and $12.49 respectively on the humble store.

Which game should I get? I'm leaning towards Zestiria even though its more expensive since it is a much better port.
I didn't like Zestiria at all personally. A lot of people consider Symphonia one of the best.

completely different gameplay than vesperia so you more than likely won't like it as much. It is more of a side ways bump from zestiria. Have you tried the demo?

I didn't like Zestiria at all personally. A lot of people consider Symphonia one of the best.
I feel like I could emulate it on Dolphin and it would still run better lol. There are probably better options to play Symphonia than Steam right? I might as well play the best version possible.

this^ zestiria just had so many problems and limitations. Practically no point to have costumes for the characters anymore when they are limited to cutscenes and battle only.

I feel like I could emulate it on Dolphin and it would still run better lol. There are probably better options to play Symphonia than Steam right? I might as well play the best version possible.
yeah go with gamecube symphonia if possible. No reason to play the other versions for the minor number of costumes and artes they added when you lose half the framerate in exchange. Now if the steam version had mods that would be another thing. playable yuan and seles, able to have kratos and zelos in the party instead of either or, controllable overlimit, free run ect.

yeah go with gamecube symphonia if possible. No reason to play the other versions for the minor number of costumes and artes they added when you lose half the framerate in exchange. Now if the steam version had mods that would be another thing. playable yuan and seles, able to have kratos and zelos in the party instead of either or, controllable overlimit, free run ect.
I'm not aware of any mods that change gameplay. I only know of the texture and bug fixes on the steam discussion forums.

So I already put a few hours on Berseria (basically past the point you get to see on Tales of Zestirias X anime) & I gotta say this game looks really good. Dunno if it's the PRO juicing it up or what but it just pops! 

I'll try to post a review once I get a full feel of it but loving it so far.  :whistle2:

I'm not aware of any mods that change gameplay. I only know of the texture and bug fixes on the steam discussion forums.
I was just speaking in hypotheticals. As those kinda things are what would make me want to replay it again for a 9th time (I played it 8 times to get all character endings/flanoir scenes) Wish I knew how to mod as there are so many things I would do.

So I already put a few hours on Berseria (basically past the point you get to see on Tales of Zestirias X anime) & I gotta say this game looks really good. Dunno if it's the PRO juicing it up or what but it just pops!

I'll try to post a review once I get a full feel of it but loving it so far. :whistle2:
Maybe. I played it on my regular ps4 and it looked pretty good but not amazing outside some of the stuff in the background

bread's done
Back