Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if there are any plans for a Western/English friendly re-release of Yakuza 2? I am aware that the PS2 version got a reprint, but I'm curious to know if the HD version that came out in Japan is headed stateside.

I'm not sure how niche it is, but rare, yes. I emailed Heavy Arms and he told me that they were getting a restock of the Asia/English Nintendo Switch version of I am Setsuna "in the middle of May." (This is the one with the English-lettering box art.) I put in a preorder as $49 + $10 shipping is better than the hellacious Ebay prices people are charging. So I advise you to email him and secure one if you were looking for it. Not sure how low the print run will be, but it's looking to be kinda rare. (I just wanna play it portably.)

heavyarm8@gmail com

I'm not sure how niche it is, but rare, yes. I emailed Heavy Arms and he told me that they were getting a restock of the Asia/English Nintendo Switch version of I am Setsuna "in the middle of May."
I barely missed the April allotment so I locked in a May one & Sold my JP version of the game.

Rather get this one.

It's a 10 for me, assuming that "10" means that a game is at the absolute top level of what's been released, not necessarily flawless. I've yet to find a game that is completely flawless.
Good point! No game is perfect. In that case, my highest scoring game is GTA V with 9.75, if I shift the scale, Persona 5 will end up with around 9.7, same score I would give The Witcher 3, and slightly higher than Fallout 3 and Half Life 2. All games I would put in my top 10.

I got to say though, I do understand Persona 5 is still a niche game in its core. It's definitely not meant for everyone, and some people might be used to games with more freedom like GTA, Zelda, or Mass Effect. I can understand how some find it difficult to deal with it's limiting mechanics, and end up finding the game too hard. I want to say that it's not necessarily a flaw of the game, more like a niche genre most aren't accustomed to. I definitely don't want this genre of gaming to die out and get replaced with a more simpler system, I like the unique challenges it poses.

I'm also not sure if you need to get max confidant links with everyone to get the true ending or something (past Persona games didn't require it.) So a casual player just playing for the story and not trying to be a 100% completionist, might be pretty content with the full package, at least in one playthrough.

I actually want to know why I can't pay money to fuse Persona in my compendium that aren't in my current persona inventory. Pretty sure that was a feature of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse which was the last Megaten game I went through prior to Persona 5. I was really disappointed to find out that I have to make a bunch of room, go to my collection and buy what I needed. Then move back through menus and fuse them. Then repeat the process until I get what I want ultimately at the end of this long tedious process just like the older Megaten games. It's not particularly enjoyable when you could cut that tedium time down significantly.

Hype didn't bother me. Hell, it doesn't even come close to my hype levels for Trails in the Sky the 3rd that releases next week. For me it's an 8/10 with a bunch of issues that I was hoping would be improved. Granted some of it is just because culturally Japan is very different than the west.
p5 was likely already done before apocalypse was even started. You also forget that they both released the same year.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will just jump right into 5. If I really enjoy it then I'll go back to 3&4 someday.
like the other posts said if you do go back p3p and p4g are the better versions for both titles. though p4 doesn't have as many quality of life issues as p3 vanilla does.

So Morgana is a brotha... good to know.

9MugIX3.jpg

Also, is it just me or is the P5 protag the most handsome one yet...?
I think P3 Protag is more handsome. :p

Morgana isn't a bro. He keeps telling me to go to bed. Can't you let me make some goddam tools? I rather have my Brain tell me to sleep. Not a cat. :p

easy would have been being able to get it done in the first place.
I'm saying itll be easy now that I have fore knowledge of what I need to do. Not sure why you're putting words in my mouth saying it'll only be a little easier. No it'll be easy. And I can do it even if I have to redo the stats.
You sure got a lot of complaints for a guy who hasn't played the game.

I thought he played the game?
Every indication says no. He always uses p3 and p4 as the basis for his complaints. I mean yeah those games are legitimately hard to max social links without a guide. Not p5 though.

Every indication says no. He always uses p3 and p4 as the basis for his complaints. I mean yeah those games are legitimately hard to max social links without a guide. Not p5 though.
Can't you spam Fortune's Confidant Perks and Temperance's to help you reach MAX Links? I was under the impression you could.

Can't you spam Fortune's Confidant Perks and Temperance's to help you reach MAX Links? I was under the impression you could.
You can. I did them way too late in my initial playthrough though. Amongst other numerous mistakes made.

agree, Nintendo was always a strong brand name an the first year is a solid line up when it hits years 3+ an is still selling 3 mill+ a year then i will be impressed. Thu truthfully i hope it don't as am not big fan of old tech with new gimmicks, not saying i also won't add a +1 to those numbers one day as i still want play Nintendo games.

Nah switch was always going to start out well. If it will be able to keep it up was always the bigger question.
Everyone's so positive about it including casuals. I can't imagine the success not carrying through to the holidays at least with Mario oddysey.

PS+ Games for May are:

:ps4: Tales from the Borderlands

:ps4: Abzu

:ps3: Blood Knights

:ps3: Port Royale 3: Pirates and Merchants

:vita: Laser Disco Defensers (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

:vita: Type:Rider (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

Nothing relevant to this thread this month either. However the PS4 games are pretty decent and Type:Rider seems to have some decently positive reviews too.

Also Golden Week starts the 29th, so we are likely to see some Japanese game sales as per the usual yearly tradition.

Everyone's so positive about it including casuals. I can't imagine the success not carrying through to the holidays at least with Mario oddysey.
No doubt it should have a good holiday. Depending on what they announce at e3 we'll see how it does between August and November.

I think it's safe to say Mario will be out in November. With splatoon 2 out in July there is potential for a dry spell between these 2 titles.

Always possible the announce something 1st party between those 2 titles so we'll see.

You do have FIFA and NBA in September at least.

Not having red dead 2 cod destiny 2 and star wars battlefront 2 is kind of a big blow but I wouldn't be shocked if some form of cod and star wars makes it to the switch this year.

Good point! No game is perfect. In that case, my highest scoring game is GTA V with 9.75, if I shift the scale, Persona 5 will end up with around 9.7, same score I would give The Witcher 3, and slightly higher than Fallout 3 and Half Life 2. All games I would put in my top 10.

I got to say though, I do understand Persona 5 is still a niche game in its core. It's definitely not meant for everyone, and some people might be used to games with more freedom like GTA, Zelda, or Mass Effect. I can understand how some find it difficult to deal with it's limiting mechanics, and end up finding the game too hard. I want to say that it's not necessarily a flaw of the game, more like a niche genre most aren't accustomed to. I definitely don't want this genre of gaming to die out and get replaced with a more simpler system, I like the unique challenges it poses.

I'm also not sure if you need to get max confidant links with everyone to get the true ending or something (past Persona games didn't require it.) So a casual player just playing for the story and not trying to be a 100% completionist, might be pretty content with the full package, at least in one playthrough.
(Not picking on you, just using your comment as a jump point).
I've never understood the point of having a 10 point scale if nothing could ever reach that tenth point. Of course nothing is perfect, but nothing is perfect about the number 10 either. Seems silly to me. Really, what's the difference between 9, 9.5, 9.75 and 10 when it comes to a video game? Texture pop-in? ;)

As for P5, I'm only 3 Palaces (almost typed dungeon!) in, but it fully "exceeds expectations." I was looking forward to an interesting group of characters and a tying narrative and that seems to be as expected. Where it 'exceeds' is in the battles. I loved the life-segments of P3 and P4 and tolerated the battles, but I find myself actually liking the battles of P5. Whereas in P3 and P4 I rushed through the dungeons in one day just to get to the next story bit, I actually debate in P5 spending an extra day or two in Mementos just 'cause I like the flavor-text conversations in the van and the fights feel good. That was really a surprise to me. Maybe a bit of that is the art style too, particularly the all out attack splash screens. Though there was an obvious miss of not continuing the "Too Booty" theme of 2017 with Queen's AOA splash.

(Not quite ready to go all in on the 'Great Waifu War' but there are only 2 strong contenders so far...)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-W5LDUg18[/media]

Gundam Versus is coming to the West for the first time in 2017.

Never expected this. Maybe we'll get more Gundam games in the future if it does well enough

There are two types of people in this world:

1) The Switch naysayers and skeptics

2) people that are going to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in 2017, and Fire Emblem in 2018

2) people that are going to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in 2017, and Fire Emblem in 2018
Nah I own a switch. Bought it day one and plan to buy both those games as,well as Mario and fire emblem warriors.

Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion that isn't "the switch is the greatest console ever and going to sell over 100 million life time."

Breaking down a complex discussion into something simple is just fanboyism.

I still haven't played a Xenoblade Chronicles game...have the one for 3DS at least and never had a WiiU. If/When the SMT game announced is released for Switch i'll be there. Also the Fire Emblem game....I want some sexy graphics OK...

Also not a fan of the PS+ games but we'll see if any are cool. Abzu is highly regarded at least. I hope for golden week sale they offer up the Vita version of Shallie. I always buy those when they go 50% off or so on PSN.

Finally beat Persona 5 yesterday at 109 hours.

I really enjoyed the game and would probably give it a 9 out of 10 (or 9.5 if I ignore the issues I have with the game's length)

Now I can finally go back to my never ending backlog lol. I plan on doing a New Game + for Persona though, just not anytime soon.

P5 talk: It felt really satisfying to earn 1.5 million yen in 2 Mementos boss battles last night over the span of 1 hour thanks to the confusion trick. I could have gotten a lot more, but dumb work forced me to go to bed.

Is it possible to be both? I own a Switch but I am not impressed with those sales figures. Even the Wii U sold more than the Switch (3.06 million) in its first 6 weeks on the market. I know that doesn't mean much, since the Switch's sales are still limited by supply rather than demand, but either way, those numbers don't impress me at all.

Re: Switch

I'm mostly worried about the charge cycles on the Switch. Playing Zelda portable for 100 hours or so is already 50 charge cycles. It's going to hold like 10 minutes of charge a year in. We have one, but I'm definitely tired of Nintendo's crap.

Re: Persona 5

My complaints are not that it's too hard to max. My complaint is that it's hard to actually figure out yourself the first time without using a guide. I'm doing it without one, and without using google/poll the audience, so that's where my frustration comes from. Most of that is because of the unpredictable lock-outs. Often times, that's weeks of in-game time.

As for battles, I'm playing on hard and still below average level, and I feel like I level too fast still.

Re: Perfect 10

There's a difference to me between the quality of the game objectively, and my enjoyment of it. There are games I might rank a 6 that I love, and a game that I might rank a 9 that I hate. Some of my favorite games have major flaws, just like some of my favorite movies. That said, at the end of palace 5, I'm still hovering around an 8/10 for Persona 5.

It's like how most ratings for RPGs are typically 2 or so points lower than people here think they should be. Because you're already a Persona fan, you can add points to the general consensus to know how much you'd like it. But a non-Persona fan probably would see it as an 8/10. And guess what, that's ok!

Re: Switch

I'm mostly worried about the charge cycles on the Switch. Playing Zelda portable for 100 hours or so is already 50 charge cycles. It's going to hold like 10 minutes of charge a year in. We have one, but I'm definitely tired of Nintendo's crap.

Re: Persona 5

My complaints are not that it's too hard to max. My complaint is that it's hard to actually figure out yourself the first time without using a guide. I'm doing it without one, and without using google/poll the audience, so that's where my frustration comes from. Most of that is because of the unpredictable lock-outs. Often times, that's weeks of in-game time.

As for battles, I'm playing on hard and still below average level, and I feel like I level too fast still.

Re: Perfect 10

There's a difference to me between the quality of the game objectively, and my enjoyment of it. There are games I might rank a 6 that I love, and a game that I might rank a 9 that I hate. Some of my favorite games have major flaws, just like some of my favorite movies. That said, at the end of palace 5, I'm still hovering around an 8/10 for Persona 5.
For the Switch, it depends on the battery. If it's a decent one, you should be OK. I've been playing and charging my launch Vita 1-2 times almost daily for the last 2-3 years, and it hasn't really lost much charge length at all. If the Swtich battery is anything like that, you shouldn't have a problem.

You run your Vita down 1-2 times daily for the last 2-3 years?

Batteries only have so many charge cycles. It doesn't matter if it's quality or not, there's a limit. If they're good for ~500 charge cycles and you charge your Switch twice a day for 4 hours of play, you'll have a greatly depleted capacity after a year.

On a Vita, after 4 hours, you're really only maybe doing half a charge cycle at most. Meaning 4 years of daily 4 hour use will be roughly equivalent to the 1 year of similar Switch use.

You run your Vita down 1-2 times daily for the last 2-3 years?

Batteries only have so many charge cycles. It doesn't matter if it's quality or not, there's a limit. If they're good for ~500 charge cycles and you charge your Switch twice a day for 4 hours of play, you'll have a greatly depleted capacity after a year.

On a Vita, after 4 hours, you're really only maybe doing half a charge cycle at most. Meaning 4 years of daily 4 hour use will be roughly equivalent to the 1 year of similar Switch use.
This is becoming a growing concern of mine considering I get my Switch battery down to 15% or less almost every time I use it.

bread's done
Back