Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
PQube is very quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers. Shit, they might be my absolute favorite... I love that they're starkly against censorship, too.

Question about nis. I pre ordered silvercase on ps4 from them and God wars at the same time but I haven't got silvercase yet, will I have to wait for God wars and they ship together since they are on the same order?

Question about nis. I pre ordered silvercase on ps4 from them and God wars at the same time but I haven't got silvercase yet, will I have to wait for God wars and they ship together since they are on the same order?
Yes, that's how NIS handles shipping

My wife once texted my when I was in the same room with her (our living room, with only family so no sound restrictions) and I might have given her the look of death. That was beyond annoying to me. So nah. Mokea didnt do it for me initially and her role in the plot didnt make her any more likeable.

Oh Luka was cool too, I guess.
wireless_wizard2.png

For Shame.

(Edit: apparently the .gif I used before didn't loop)

Eh. The missus is hearing impaired, and I have pulled out my phone to text her when she couldn't understand me vocally.

Sometimes, I just skip the possible frustration.

I just stick shitty old cheap bookshelves that I have to dust. I hate to dust.
Have you tried putting an air purifier or any video game consoles near them? Video game consoles make amazing dust and such collectors. Especially the bc wii for whatever reason. Wipe that down like twice a day.

Dust is weird.  It seems to be strangely attracted to my dresser and end tables in addition to the electronics.  About every 4-6 months I have to take out all six consoles under my living room TV entertainment center and wipe absolutely everything down with Windex and 409.  It's crazy how much dust congregates in certain areas while it avoids other places entirely.  The unused Wii U Gamepad is inexplicably the biggest dust magnet in the entire house.  The playstation is a giant dust magnet while the cable DVR that runs hot 24/7 hardly gets dirty by comparision. 

For those of you who collect figures/statues, where do you get your glass display stands? I'm looking to get one.
Detolf for me as well. I also second the LED lights idea.

I also really like using this stuff (in the clear color) on the cords as it helps me manage them. I have a hard time making cables look neat, but this really helps. It's a little bit time consuming, but not difficult, to do the first time. Worth it in my opinion.

https://www.cableorganizer.com/spiral-wrap/

Home improvement stores / amazon probably also have it

It's the one month anniversary of Persona 5! We're having a War of the Waifus poll in the Backloggers Anonymous thread! You can vote here too if you want (although I prefer if you did in the other thread.)

Pretty much vote for your favorite Waifu from Persona 5, but there's a twist! In true Persona Harem fashion, you can vote up to 3 waifus, but the less you vote, the more weight your vote counts. 1 Waifu = 3 votes to your love, 2 waifus = 2 votes each, 3 waifus = 1 vote each.

Not only limited to female confidants, you can vote the guys too if ya want to show your boi Yusuke some love. I guess animals, Personas, and Shadows count too... whatever tickles your fancy. 

I'll tally up the votes and voting will end in a week and maybe something cool will happen then.

Sorry if this seems lame... just trying to lighten things up. Also, MidoriMonkey is required to vote.

It's more that if you are playing on a higher difficulty, they could potentially kill the MC before you could do anything. Whereas if the game let you get an ambush, you'd be able to dispatch them with relative ease. Basically you're playing with fire on higher difficulties when you don't ambush, even on lower level fights. Even if you don't die, you're taking needless damage that could be avoided if it would just let you toggle his ability.
While I agree with you on his ability needing a toggle, getting a phys and gun repel/null persona stacked with light and death repel/null and no elemental weaknesses with auto-defense means he should never die in that first round. The annoyance comes in having to heal up afterwards: Even if it is cheap and easy to regen SP due to how laughably easy SP Adhesive 3 breaks the game, its still annoying.

Who the hell has phys repel/null and curse+holy repel/null and no weaknesses?

And this is assuming they don't hit your team's weaknesses and get 6 turns anyways.

You'd have to do a lot of inheriting and pray that whoever inherits can actually inherit it because not all abilities are always inheritable on every Persona. It's also not something you're likely to have prior to end game or NG+ without a guide at which point Chariots ability is less of an annoyance. Unless there are null/repel cards, but I don't remember off hand if I came across any. Its been a few weeks since I beat it.

It's not a bad goal to gun for of course especially if you turn on the option to have your equipped persona to auto-reset to a specific one after battle (I think the top on the list or something?). Although I feel it's a little unrealistic to have mid-game when you unlock Chariots insta-kill ability. However I'm sure there are people out there who will somehow obtain something like that mid-game without assistance.

But yeah, you can still die if they use group attacks and hit a party members weaknesses. It just makes you a little tougher to kill.

Dust is weird. It seems to be strangely attracted to my dresser and end tables in addition to the electronics. About every 4-6 months I have to take out all six consoles under my living room TV entertainment center and wipe absolutely everything down with Windex and 409. It's crazy how much dust congregates in certain areas while it avoids other places entirely. The unused Wii U Gamepad is inexplicably the biggest dust magnet in the entire house. The playstation is a giant dust magnet while the cable DVR that runs hot 24/7 hardly gets dirty by comparision.
Huh that's weird my wiiu pad doesn't get any dust on it.

Wtf there's a way to auto reset your persona?! The things I learn about this game after having already beat it.
If you turn off "Remember Persona" (or something to that effect) under Options, whichever persona you had equipped before entering a battle will be equipped afterwards.

Pretty much vote for your favorite Waifu from Persona 5, but there's a twist! In true Persona Harem fashion, you can vote up to 3 waifus, but the less you vote, the more weight your vote counts. 1 Waifu = 3 votes to your love, 2 waifus = 2 votes each, 3 waifus = 1 vote each.
Isn't that an unfair system where voting for 2 waifus gets you 4 points to contribute versus the 3 points for the other options? Don't want the true waifu to be eliminated by some guys who like threesomes...
Sae and Makoto ftw.

Isn't that an unfair system where voting for 2 waifus gets you 4 points to contribute versus the 3 points for the other options? Don't want the true waifu to be eliminated by some guys who like threesomes...
Sae and Makoto ftw.
I know they are close in the alphabet, but they are far enough away in the keyboard that you should not have accidentally typed "S" when you really meant "T" to say TAE and Makoto right :)?

Only a scumbag would date sisters!
I once dated a girl, then dated her younger sister two years later

Hmm, according to front page of the site it looks like Fate/Extella for Vita is on sale for $26.48 on Amazon

Tempting, but I'll be getting the game for the Switch so I'm not sure I need the Vita version...

Also, speaking of waifus, I'd recommend checking out a site my friend made called MyWaifuList. You can add, vote or trash any anime, game, etc character you'd like. Looks like Makoto is in the lead on the site with Futaba in 2nd place, you can see the results here.

Sae and Makoto ftw.
Harem end is best end.

Only a scumbag would date sisters!

I once dated a girl, then dated her younger sister two years later
I've mentioned it before, but I did this, but for a far more petty reason.

Ex kept a bunch of my stuff, one of which was the shirt that came with the Catherine LE. Dated the sister to get it back

:ps4: The Final Guardian $28.46

Sae and Makoto ftw.
Yeah, I thought about that many times. The system worked better for picking games, since most people usually picked two. I guess since the game makes it really tempting to have a harem, I'll just give it more points.

Also, I'm surprised at how little love Ann gets. I remembered when the trailers first dropped, everyone was head over heels for her. Now she's actually drifted to the wayside... side girl status... feelsbadwoman. Ryuji x Ann tho!

Also, speaking of waifus, I'd recommend checking out a site my friend made called MyWaifuList. You can add, vote or trash any anime, game, etc character you'd like. Looks like Makoto is in the lead on the site with Futaba in 2nd place, you can see the results here.
That site is sick! Also, Kurumi Tokisaki is #1 in the Date A Live section, so I would say the voting is right and not rigged.

Hmm, according to front page of the site it looks like Fate/Extella for Vita is on sale for $26.48 on Amazon.

Tempting, but I'll be getting the game for the Switch so I'm not sure I need the Vita version...
If you're getting the switch version, just skip the vita version entirely. Switch includes all the costume dlc, of which there's a considerable amount. Also the vita version doesn't look that good visually.

I happened to find the last copy of blue reflection deluxe edition at BIC Camera today.[attachment=26515:IMG_3795.JPG]

I haven't played Persona 5 in three days because I've been caught up playing Dragon Warrior II on the NES.   This was the most amazing game in the world when I was a small child.  It's so draconian and punishing, yet still somewhat fair and heavily adventurous. It keeps you wanting to discover more, what's around the next corner.  It was the original Dark Souls formula. 

Games like Dragon Warrior II and the original Final Fantasy shaped my entire gaming personality to date.  I'm all about open-world RPG exploration with hidden loot and sidequests.  This game was such an amazing step up from DW1 at the time in 1990.  It was revolutionary.  I have been in awe of difficult RPGs ever since.  Not to mention it also has some of the greatest box art of all time. 

[customspoiler='New character images from Cold Steel III.']
C-0FldXWsAEvZXP.jpg

C-0FnoAXoAEclE9.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Images above taken from Gu4n. If you've played Trails in the Sky, you probably recognize them. Can't have one without the other. The time skip from TitS should make that person a year older than Estelle during the first game I think. The other being almost 30 now.

[customspoiler='Bonus Trails in the Sky the 3rd Image #1']
C-RnPskUIAAneo2.jpg
[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Bonus Trails in the Sky the 3rd Image #2']
C7IeqiwVAAAIwoe.jpg
[/customspoiler]
I bought 3rd a few days ago and just last night was able to get back to playing SC. I couldn't be more hyped for some games right now. PC gaming has taken over my attention lately. My poor PS4 has become a Netflix machine for now.

Thanks for the pics. I'm so excited for the CSIII release.

The only notable game this week is really Birthdays the Beginning and reviews seem to be all over the place for it. Other than that, not much to say. I added a couple that seemed like they might release this week since the list was a little on the light side. Granted one was more for the 'wat' nature of it. Normally I skip games that don't have a static release date set. I guess it's time to decide whether or not to cancel your Akiba's Beat price mistake order from Amazon since that releases next week though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Lily of the Valley (Visual Novel)
- England Exchange (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (May 7th - May 13th)

Elliot Quest
- Platform(s): 3DS, XB1
- Genre: Adventure / Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Not Japanese. Indie. Like Zelda 2.

Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (PS2 Classics)

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Simulation / Farming
- Comments: Digital only.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PS2 Classics)

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Survival Horror
- Comments: Digital only.

Revenant Saga

- Platform(s): PS4, PS3, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Digital only. KEMCO published mobile port.

Birthdays the Beginning
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Simulation / Sandbox / God Game?
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: It sounds like it's a traditional god game. Demo should be releasing this week.

The Grand Ball
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Campus Nightlife
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: May not actually be releasing this week, but I'm listing it anyways.

Stay! Stay! Democratic People's Republic of Korea!
- Genre: Visual Novel / Parody Memes
- Comments: Definitely not Japanese. May not be releasing, but adding it anyways.

Tomboys Need Love Too!
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Past Releases
April 30th - May 6th
April 23rd - April 29th
April 16th - April 22nd
April 9th - April 15th
April 2nd - April 8th

EDIT: Added in three PSN titles releasing this week. Made note of Birthdays the Beginning demo that is coming out this week too.

I started my merciless run of persona 5. I didn't carry anything over so I could give a 100% run a go. Pretty excited to attempt that.
So far I haven't noticed it being any harder yet. I do think having 3x damage for critical/weakness/technical hits is really weird. demon negotiation is clutch, get these enemies that can potentially kill me to give me money and exp and just go away lol
I have one more midboss to fight but I'm all out of mana even though I stocked up well on sp items, 12 drinks and 2 coffees. I'll probably just use the chewing soul I picked up to force my way through this dungeon in 1 day.
I'm only level 7 while I was level 12 on my hard playthrough, guess that's the difference when you go into the dungeon multiple times.

Update: I did finish that dungeon. I didn't even need mana for that fight since I got 2 critical. It helped to take out some other mobs though.

I bought 3rd a few days ago and just last night was able to get back to playing SC. I couldn't be more hyped for some games right now. PC gaming has taken over my attention lately. My poor PS4 has become a Netflix machine for now.

Thanks for the pics. I'm so excited for the CSIII release.
I'm actually a good way through Trails in the Sky the 3rd. I see now that people calling it Trails of Lore isn't an exaggeration at all. Holy shit has it been a ride with all the information they've dropped. You've got a ton of setup for Cold Steel, including what happened in North Ambria where Sara from Cold Steel is from. There's also some setup for whenever they visit Calvard as well as Crossbell. Also even more closure for the Trails in the Sky FC/SC arc. As well as backstories for various characters in the series.

I also got to fight a boss that I've been wanting to while playing through TitS FC/SC and it was every bit as awesome as I thought it would be. It was the second fight I wiped on and actually wiped twice as retry didn't get me anywhere. I was forced to re-evaluate all my equipment and orbaments. Played insanely defensively and I still had two characters die with the other two barely living. It was pretty crazy.

But in the end the game is structured very differently from the previous two games. It's essentially a dungeon crawler with a bunch of optional mystical doors you can go through after you meet their requirements and see a metric assload of lore. I hear the last chapter is a wild ride too, so I can't wait for it. I liked Persona 5, but for me this game blows it out of the water in terms of enjoyment. Being invested in the series definitely makes this game quite the joy to play through.

Oh and in this one you don't need to worry about using a guide to find books or gather AP. You don't have hidden items like all the other games in the series, no hidden quests, nor is there any kind of point system like bracer points or academy points. It's a pretty nice relief.

Doing the dungeon in 1 day was pointless! I can't beat the boss at level 7! Went back into the palace another to grind to level 9 smh

Do you people have jobs/school that have already sunk 200 hours into P5? I don't tHink I hit 60 yet but I am following the guide to minimize wasted time.

If I wanted to play with some TiTs (lol), about how much time will I have to put into them?

bread's done
Back