Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree on the Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite criticism. What were they thinking with the art style? All of the models and animations for that game look shoddy, especially compared to some of Capcom's other recent games. And when you hold it up to the new DBZ fighting game? Forget about it. Arc Systems has their 3D-that-looks-like-2D style perfected. Applying it to DBZ is an easy fit. Those videos looked incredible, and that game isn't even in a finished state. Marvel vs. Capcom just looks garrish, plastic, and fake.

Everything is too shiny and polished and crisp that it just looks fake without being good cartoony.  The shadows and the shading are all wrong.  It reminds me of the first Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe game where they did away with the blood and everyone looks like they're made out of plastic. 

That new Dragonball Fighter Z however, holy wow that looks incredible.  The animations look straight out of the show!  That game will be an instant success. 

Nice, the Nintendo E3 Spotlight starting off the right way with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 footage.  The game is still slated for Holiday 2017 too.

"Game Freak has begun development on a core Pokemon title  for the Switch."  no timeline for release, it may be more than one year.

Metroid Prime 4 now in development for the Nintendo Switch !!!  omg

Fire Emblem Heroes still slated for Fall 2017.

Nintendo is coming out guns blazing with core game announcements so far!  I can wait.  These are all things we have been asking for for ages. 

I know they have almost nothing to show for Metroid, but I'm still excited for Metroid. Metroid. :)

I also really like the look of the new Kirby game, and the Yoshi title. Both of those are looking like solid platformer/puzzle games.

Now that's how to do it for a presentation. Nintendo showed a lot of stuff coming this year with new footage and for stuff coming with brief but good announcements. Developers seemed pretty cool, and a lot of games were shown. Just was a fun direct honestly, and honestly I will have a Switch by next year i'm pretty sure. Good job!

Yeah, Nintendo won E3 with just 3 words. Metroid Prime 4. lol

Then again, the E3 presentations from the other companies were pretty shitty. But Nintendo actually did a good job in a 25 minute span.

I wonder what the Champions Ballad DLC for Breath of the Wild will have... I't would be cool if you could play as any of the Champions, but I guess that is out of the question.

Imma just say Nintendo killed E3 for me. Actual new game announcements.
Nintendo wins E3, and it wasn't close.

I've watched all the major conferences so far. Devolver Digital press conference was amazing too, you have to watch that if you haven't seen it.

Yeah, nothing for me from MS, except Cuphead, which has been in development forever. Shadow of the Colossus was the most interesting thing for me from Sony, but that is a remake. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was nice to see, but to early to call.

I would for sure say Mario, Yoshi, Rocket League all look good and very surprising. Rarely do I give "N" the E3 top honors, and while everyone else had below average showings, I'll give credit where it's due. Still not rushing out to buy the NS, but I think they will continue to have  good year at retail. Especially with Mario coming sooner than expected.

I guess I'll have to start trying to get my son one sooner, than later, so I can mooch some play with Mario. LOL

Creative Mario games always sell me on systems like Mario 3D Land and the Galaxies and such. Mario Odyssey looks like it will be fun. Whenever the SMT game is out....will be the day I have the Switch though. Also it's sad but Mario in a serape made me smile haha going around in some Mexican pueblo. I'm easy to please sometimes haha.

.hack//G.U. Remaster was pretty requested. I never played them, though I wish they would have done the other 4 previous games first, though I believe these have better gameplay.

For me E3 has been the Atlus announcements, Monster Hunter (don't care about Shadow of Collosus remake, even though I'm not a fan of MH gameplay) and hopefully something cool from Nintendo. I also think that prison break game looks neat and Skull & Bones looks cool too, since i'm a pirate games fan, and there just isn't too many of them. I hope NISA announces something too since their plate is looking a little light after September releases.
All of this is how I feel too

Buy these Yakuza games please everyone! Zero is awesome and I'm glad Pocket Circuit racing is returning in Kiwami

No wonder KH3 is taking so long... and my TWEWY sequel

Yakuza Kiwami is a no brainer with a cheap price and a steelbook. Also Yakuza 1 had a decent story IMHO and this should help the somewhat antiquated gameplay (still good mind you on the PS2). If they remake Yakuza 2 will be another wishlist item.

And now we know why Nintendo jumped on the fan-remake of Metroid II like a rabid wolverine. Normally it takes them a little longer to get their cease-and-desist shenaningans going, but they hopped on that fan project with both feet. Turns out they already had their own version on the back burner.

I'm excited to see the new official Metroid II remake. (but I'm also going to be hanging onto the version of the fan-game that I downloaded and backed up)

.hack//G.U. Remaster was pretty requested. I never played them, though I wish they would have done the other 4 previous games first, though I believe these have better gameplay.
If we say that G.U. improved on the gameplay of the original quadrilogy by about 1.5x, then I think it's fair to say the writing and plot is about 20x worse. I honestly would have preferred they just jump directly into a new game. Maybe get the writers from .hack//Quantum, that was actually pretty good.

Metroid: Samus Returns Gets New Amiibo and a Special Edition with Retro Reversible Cover

33kuoec.png

Metroid Prime 4 Not Being Developed by Retro Studios; New Team and Series Producer Kensuke Tanabe Onboard

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony Get New Trailers from NIS America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EjGE3FUo5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhDI-Dt57xo

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with the hype train when I say this (I too am more excited about the Big N):

But of course Nintendo had "the best showing." They have the newest system and the fewest games already released for said system.  If they can't generate more excitement at this point in time than Sony or Microsoft, then they'd be better off just hanging up the small green boxing gloves for good.

Nintendo sequels generate excitement.   Several franchises go years or a decade without an appearance on home television consoles.  Everyone is sick of all the dudebro shooters and the open-world Ubisoft formula.

People on CAG probably think I'm a giant Nintendo fanboy and I'm really not.  I spend all of my time gaming on my PC and my PS4.   It's just that Nintendo breathes some much-needed fresh air into everything.  The cartoony escapism just works, when everything else is going for realism or a serious tone. They bring you full circle back to the root of video games.

Sony is against online crossplay to protect the children!

this is a very funny read:

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.

So there you have it. If you're playing Minecraft or Rocket League or any other game on PS4, don't expect to play with Nintendo Switch or Xbox One owners.

I'm so divided on Xenoblade 2. The music is great, but the voice acting is terrible, and the art style makes it look like a shitty Tales game. The battles seemed okay, but running very slow. Makes it hard to believe that the game is supposed to come out this year since the world looked pretty empty. 

Metroid Prime 4 could be good, but 3 wasn't that memorable so I'm not really expecting a whole lot there. 

I'm glad Nintendo showed actual games, but it's nothing that makes me want to go out and get a Switch any time soon. Mario looks fun, but doesn't really seem as essential as the Galaxy games were. 

Tokyo Game Show is the only gaming event that I really look forward to. E3 is always just moviegame bullshit and huge presentations for games that won't be out for at least two years. 

Fire Emblem Warriors Gets First Gameplay and Plenty of Beautiful Screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KQp71d5OU

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Gets Fantastic Screenshots and First Gameplay Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGk6VMcJsw

35 minutes of Metroid: Samus Returns gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H09GVFbxFkI

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions Confirmed for 3DS: Gallery & Gameplay Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI54_yxpwkY

Nintendo Shows off Gameplay for Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and Screenshots for Rabid Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEn3MZHWOtU

Ni No Kuni II PS4 Gameplay and Screenshots Look Fantastic; Shows Giant Boss and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kufs9c3QMc

Looks like DOA5LR Season Pass 4 didn't go on sale even though it's delisted next week. Maybe it'll show up in a weekend sale? (..Or just not go on sale at all)

It builds the lore and the characters despite the large abundance of slice of life. If you're fast forwarding in a visual novel, why even bother playing it?
I doubt it adds anything people didn't already know from the anime thus my earlier point of skipping crap since nothing important likely happens that you don't already know. As for why skip because its also an srpg which is the part I am interested in.

If we say that G.U. improved on the gameplay of the original quadrilogy by about 1.5x, then I think it's fair to say the writing and plot is about 20x worse. I honestly would have preferred they just jump directly into a new game. Maybe get the writers from .hack//Quantum, that was actually pretty good.
The first games writing wasn't too bad. Much more heavy on the cheese than I would like. Now the second game in the trio on the other hand was filler and offensive as hell regarding what they did with a certain character from the prequel anime roots.

I doubt it adds anything people didn't already know from the anime thus my earlier point of skipping crap since nothing important likely happens that you don't already know. As for why skip because its also an srpg which is the part I am interested in.
Buh? The first anime is based on a different game than Mask of Deception/Truth. The second (most recent) anime is very different than the actual game with events, but based on Mask of Deception (Not Mask of Truth as it ends before the game). The entire end of the anime is COMPLETELY different than the game, leaving out a ton of info and a lot of the stuff that happened through it is very different than what happened in the game.

The first game from 2002 can be skipped over in favor of the original anime season from 2006 though.

Quite late on this today, been busy mostly. Here's the free weekly PSN junk:

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX

PS4

Additional Scene

Theatre

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

PS4

Demo

World of Tanks

PS4

Girls und Panzer Theme

Some more Cold Steel II avatars are up on PSN as well, but they're not free. There should be more coming at some point as well. Also, there's the Best of E3 Sale going on that has a couple games. Nothing really exciting though.

You can get 10% off $100 or more spent on gaming gift cards from Paypal Digital Gifts.

http://www.ebay.com/sme/paypal_digital_gifts/Extra-10-off-when-you-spend-100/so.html?_soffid=5031582804&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Includes: Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, Steam, GameStop, ThinkGeek

I think the PlayStation spend $100 get $15 is a better value, but this is less cash up front. You could also stack GameStop gift cards for an Xbox One X if you're so inclined (or a different console you don't have yet, PSVR, etc).

I could add up to $200 GameStop for $180 to my cart after already claiming the discount on PlayStation Store ones - so you may be able to repeat to any dollar amount, not sure.

You can get 10% off $100 or more spent on gaming gift cards from Paypal Digital Gifts.

http://www.ebay.com/sme/paypal_digital_gifts/Extra-10-off-when-you-spend-100/so.html?_soffid=5031582804&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Includes: Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, Steam, GameStop, ThinkGeek

I think the PlayStation spend $100 get $15 is a better value, but this is less cash up front. You could also stack GameStop gift cards for an Xbox One X if you're so inclined (or a different console you don't have yet, PSVR, etc).

I could add up to $200 GameStop for $180 to my cart after already claiming the discount on PlayStation Store ones - so you may be able to repeat to any dollar amount, not sure.
Nice thanks! The two deals would normally stack. Usually the spend X get Y back from psn is just from your wallet :) Not sure if this promo is different this time tho.

The first games writing wasn't too bad. Much more heavy on the cheese than I would like. Now the second game in the trio on the other hand was filler and offensive as hell regarding what they did with a certain character from the prequel anime roots.
If it's the that one I'm thinking of, then I miss him :c

bread's done
Back