Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, Capcom's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Just watched a vid of that Marvel vs. Capcom Collector's edition with the Infinity Stones Eggs. Wow.

Really wonder what they're going to do when they run out of RE games to remaster for the thousandth time.

At this point, Capcom's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Just watched a vid of that Marvel vs. Capcom Collector's edition with the Infinity Stones Eggs. Wow.

Really wonder what they're going to do when they run out of RE games to remaster for the thousandth time.
Megaman X and Battle Network collections please

A little late, but Date A Live is one of my favorite anime.
PRda2Da.gif

Capcom will never give us anything new. They don't even want to make a new Darkstalkers because the compilation didn't meet their expectations despite selling a lot.

I must have blinked once or twice, I seem to have missed the gameplay portion of that trailer. :razz:
It was literally just them walking.

Capcom is a dogshit company but I'll take those < $20 "remasters".  They've pretty much ruined everything with microtransactions, paid DLC, cancelling franchises, and the inevitable "gold edition" that comes out a year later from every new release.   They barely create new games anymore, and the core design philosophy of everything they release is "how can we monetize this??"

I've learned my lesson so I just don't buy any new releases from them anymore. 

Capcom is a dogshit company but I'll take those &lt; $20 "remasters". They've pretty much ruined everything with microtransactions, paid DLC, cancelling franchises, and the inevitable "gold edition" that comes out a year later from every new release. They barely create new games anymore, and the core design philosophy of everything they release is "how can we monetize this??"

I've learned my lesson so I just don't buy any new releases from them anymore.
Pretty much all of that can apply to any of the big publishers/developers, and a lot of them are waaay worse than Capcom when it comes to monetizing games.

I'll never get why people love to single out Capcom though and act like they're the only company that does microtransactions, GOTY editions, etc...

Like who is worse?

Activision Blizzard, EA, Nintendo, Ubisoft...

Even smaller companies like XSEED do it. Look at the hilarious amount of DLC for stuff like Trails of Cold Steel, Senran Kagura, and Fate/Extella, a game which had a costume as digital preorder exclusive with no other way to get it. Bought the most expensive version of the game physically and want it? Too bad.

I don't see why it matters where the company is. They all do it (and in a lot of cases worse than Capcom), yet people love to single out Capcom and I don't really get why. I guess it was the cool thing a couple years ago, but didn't know it still was.

Those damn Diablo DLCs, StarCraft DLCs, and Splatoon DLCs...

Wait, which one's are worse again? Other than maybe EA?
All of them. They all monetize games, most of them do GOTY editions, they all have tons of dlc. The Overwatch GOTY edition is especially hilarious considering what it comes with. Not to mention that game literally has the same monetization structure as a F2P mobile game, except it's not free and $60 instead.

How is Capcom any worse than any of them?

Pretty much all of that can apply to any of the big publishers/developers, and a lot of them are waaay worse than Capcom when it comes to monetizing games.

I'll never get why people love to single out Capcom though and act like they're the only company that does microtransactions, GOTY editions, etc...
I don't think it's singling out anybody. EA, Activision, and Capcom are all the worst. These companies all devalue their own franchises. Blizzard is terrible too, but that's debatable. I don't buy much from any of these publishers.

Capcom also barely makes new games anymore.

All of them. They all monetize games, most of them do GOTY editions, they all have tons of dlc.

How is Capcom any worse than any of them?
The question was who's worse, not who monetizes with DLCs. There's a HUGE difference between cosmetic pieces (Trails, Tales), and selling season passes that don't include popular characters (Capcom).

Does Destiny do it? Sure. Does Blizzard? Not really.

And people also love to bitch about game companies nickel and diming people using DLCs. I guess you don't remember when SNES carts were sometimes more than games + all DLCs, even before adjusting for inflation.

Let me do the googlefu for you. $60 in 1995 is almost $100 now. Even with DLCs and season passes, we're paying less than we were before. And these are obviously much bigger productions.

The question was who's worse, not who monetizes with DLCs. There's a HUGE difference between cosmetic pieces (Trails, Tales), and selling season passes that don't include popular characters (Capcom).

Does Destiny do it? Sure. Does Blizzard? Not really.

And people also love to bitch about game companies nickel and diming people using DLCs. I guess you don't remember when SNES carts were sometimes more than games + all DLCs, even before adjusting for inflation.

Let me do the googlefu for you. $60 in 1995 is almost $100 now. Even with DLCs and season passes, we're paying less than we were before. And these are obviously much bigger productions.
Monetizing with DLC can in fact make a company worse. Season passes that don't include absolutely every piece of DLC the game with come out with aren't unheard of. I really don't see the HUGE difference between the two things. Both things are content that are being held out of the game to be sold to you separately. Maybe I care more about the missing costumes than a character I'll never use in a fighting game?

Destiny, Overwatch, and JRPGs just offer paid cosmetics.  They are also complete games without purchasing any additional extras.  You're not really missing anything if you don't buy them.

Street Fighter locked characters, Resident Evil "Gold" editions, multiple megaman legacy collections are way worse.  That's the very definition of cut content sold as additional DLC. 

I'm also surprised to hear you lump Ubisoft in with everybody else.  Seeing as they offer complete games before buying any extra content.  Their additional content model is also simplified and easy to understand if you want to support their games. 

Even Call of Duty's model is easy to understand and support if you wish.  $60 for the base game with tons of multiplayer replayability, and then you can buy the map packs if you want for another $60.   It's pretty straightforward and you're getting good bang for your buck even if you don't buy the future map packs. Most importantly, Ubisoft and Call of Duty (Activision) aren't selling complete editions at a fraction of the price one year later.   They don't have the same buyers' remorse associated with the early adopter fee.  The additional content maintains its price point. 

There are big differences between the finished games produced by all of the major companies.

Yeah, my biggest issues with Capcom currently is their lack of making new and or quality games. They used to be one of my favorite publishers, now if they closed shop tomorrow I wouldn't shed any tears. Even though they keep offering these remakes, at least there cheap, but I rarely if ever buy new games anymore, unless it's in a CE that I'm worried will sell out.

So I'm sure tons of places have adopted the nickel & dime policies of many bigger publishers, but I just vote with my wallet, and leave those games on the shelves, and then buy them cheap with everything included.

I guess as the industry has changed in recent years, many places like Capcom just didn't get out in front of the oncoming changes, and got stuck in a place they didn't want to be. And now we see those outcomes, and without some serious plans for the future, and how to get gamers back, it's all but over.

Destiny, Overwatch, and JRPGs just offer paid cosmetics. They are also complete games without purchasing any additional extras. You're not really missing anything if you don't buy them.

Street Fighter locked characters, Resident Evil "Gold" editions, multiple megaman legacy collections are way worse. That's the very definition of cut content sold as additional DLC.

I'm also surprised to hear you lump Ubisoft in with everybody else. Seeing as they offer complete games before buying any extra content. Their additional content model is also simplified and easy to understand if you want to support their games.
Content is content. That's nice you think cosmetics deserve a free pass, but I don't. It's content clearly held out of the game to be sold separately. What Capcom games are you complaining about not being complete? RE6 had a ton of content, more than any other game of that style I can think of. The DLC came down to a few extra maps for mercenaries mode. Destiny will absolutely have more DLC in the form of expansions. It's not different from extra story DLC in any Resident Evil game that had it. They're just priced relative to what you're getting.

Also in regards to Capcom not making new games, didn't MvC:I just come out? And Monster Hunter Stories? Monster Hunter World in January...

O2F3bwS.gif

Whoknows, I love you and agree with you on literally everything else. But I can't this time after being scarred by Street Fighter V. Rererereleasing Street Fighter 2 for the Switch also left a bad taste. And Marvel vs Capcom having 24/30 characters being the same, and keeping the same level 3 super animations is too much.

I'll give it to them that they're changing though, and they're not all bad. Resident Evil 7 was really good, and they are having a free DLC campaign coming out. Dead Rising 4 for PS4 is gonna be $50, not $60 and include all the DLC. They rereleased DMC4 even with the new DmC gaining traction. And all of SFV's DLC characters can be earned from playing the game and not having to spent real cash, so you don't even have to buy the season pass. I can't say that about any other recent fighting game.

Content is content. That's nice you think cosmetics deserve a free pass, but I don't. It's content clearly held out of the game to be sold separately. What Capcom games are you complaining about not being complete? RE6 had a ton of content, more than any other game of that style I can think of. The DLC came down to a few extra maps for mercenaries mode. Destiny will absolutely have more DLC in the form of expansions. It's not different from extra story DLC in any Resident Evil game that had it. They're just priced relative to what you're getting.

Also in regards to Capcom not making new games, didn't MvC:I just come out? And Monster Hunter Stories? Monster Hunter World in January...
It's not a big deal man. Just a difference of opinions. I don't think Capcom makes very good games anymore and I think they used to have a higher standard of excellence. If you like what they do, then more power to you.

Even Call of Duty's model is easy to understand and support if you wish. $60 for the base game with tons of multiplayer replayability, and then you can buy the map packs if you want for another $60. It's pretty straightforward and you're getting good bang for your buck even if you don't buy the future map packs.
Actually as of the past couple games they not only lock camos but also weapons behind microtransactions. Pretty scummy considering there's also the season pass

That aside, check out these art books I got a couple weeks ago: [attachment=28031:20170903_125315.jpg]

Actually as of the past couple games they not only lock camos but also weapons behind microtransactions. Pretty scummy considering there's also the season pass

That aside, check out these art books I got a couple weeks ago: 20170903_125315.jpg
I guess I should get around to taking my copy of that Soejima artbook out of the wrapper one of these days so I can actually look at it, I've had it sitting on a shelf for nearly seven years.

Like who is worse?

Activision Blizzard, EA, Nintendo, Ubisoft...

Even smaller companies like XSEED do it. Look at the hilarious amount of DLC for stuff like Trails of Cold Steel, Senran Kagura, and Fate/Extella, a game which had a costume as digital preorder exclusive with no other way to get it. Bought the most expensive version of the game physically and want it? Too bad.
Most of those you are right on but nintendo I don't think I've ever seen a dlc heavy title from them let alone the definitive version released later on the same system with all the dlc packs like a number of games have gotten in the past. If anyone takes the cake though it has to be atelier and their plus versions and disgaea and their plus versions. I love how the latter said they wern't going to even do an enhanced version of games anymore after 4 and lo and behold 5 got one.

Anywho tales of wise they did attempt to start character dlc via alisha but fans shot that down real quick. director was fired death threats everywhere and the dlc remains incomplete.

TGS 2017 Part 2: Post IIIIIIIV

Bullet Girls Phantasia teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjpgNY3rSdI

Earth Defense Force 4.1: Wing Diver the Shooter Trailer Shows Off Its Shoot ‘em Up Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-8n3u2Wiw

Happy Manager Gets Opening Movie Showing Characters and Events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XIektEQyoU

Earth Defense Force 5’s TGS 2017 Trailer Unleashes Its New Mecha Weapon “Gigantic Unloader Barga”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxT4ac8AqU

.hack//G.U. Last Recode Vol. 2//Reminisce Looks Awesome in Opening Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrMXDlP8uc

That aside, check out these art books I got a couple weeks ago: 20170903_125315.jpg
Nice! The Soejima one is probably one of my favorite art books of all time, besides maybe the Sonicomi one. It's got a ton of great promo art not in the games, from like special posters and cups and stuff. The art is also displayed on an entire page, or both pages, so it's got a lot of wide-spreads, unlike the books with multiple panels and covered with words which I don't really like. It's a picture book mostly, without the character bios and game design layouts like you see in other books.

There's also a lot of art from games I didn't even know existed. There's a sexy racecar girl on pages 130-131 and to this day I still have no idea what series she is from. They also show P3P a lot of love too, which is great. My favorite picture is on page 54, with the P3 family.

Was there a Bullet Girls western rlase announcement? What is the point of English subbed trailer if no western release?

That Soejima one looks amazing. Where did you buy it from and how much was it? A quick Google search showed that it was sold out from the usual suspects.

Oooooh, that artwork shown. I would love a (new) Journey to the West game, especially one made by vanillaware using that art style. Look forward to seeing what will be announced from them.
Unfortunately that's just George Kamitani's New Year greetings art he drew for the year of the monkey (2016).

I've been saying a xi you ji style of Chinese legendry would make an amazing backdrop for an Odin Sphere/Muramasa-like game ever since, but alas, the art has nothing to do with the recruitment,

bread's done
Back