Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, beat Ys VIII and figured I'd share some thoughts (not a review). I enjoyed it, but I didn't really like interceptions. They're like horde mode without the fun that I typically get from horde modes. Most because it's less trying not to die as it is to kill enemies as quickly as you possibly can to try and get a high rank. Just about every one after the first one I was under-level and eventually ended up under-level by like 10-15 levels. Suppression on the other hand I found a bit more enjoyment out of, but I think they also need a redesign if they're going to be re-used. They're stupidly easy, but because of the maps used it can be a colossal pain in the ass to try and get an S rank in that. Both makes sense storywise, but man they were the low point of the game for me.

Characters were fairly decent. Everybody classifies the first party member you get as a tsundere and many end up hating them, but their personality isn't actually much of one. It's more that they're out of their element and don't know how to act due to their upbringing and grow out of it by the end of the game due to actual life experience. So you've got some strong vibes at the beginning, but they're not a thoroughbred through and through. However I guess this is typical Falcom where they define a character by a huge trope at the introduction and then turn around and show you that they aren't exactly a one-dimensional character much like the Trails games do.

The other characters were more or less fine personality wise, but I felt a couple of them were a bit more flat than others. Combat wise though, I didn't care for the second recruited party member because of their slow attack speed. They are great when it comes to skills because of their stupidly high base strength stat however. Then the second pierce attack character you get just didn't feel right with me, so I never used them.

Dana combat on the other hand was actually pretty interesting. I won't spoil anything about it, however it's actually fairly varied. Though I don't really like being limited to four skills while you're in the Dana only segments. Granted there isn't a ton of combat with her compared to Adol's exploration team.

The only thing I wish I knew sooner was that you could flash guard while you're still attacking. It never occurred to me to do that since most games you have to stop your attack before you can properly guard. Due to that I didn't get the 100 Flash Guard trophy until much later in the game. I think my final amounts of Flash Moves was around 750 while Flash Guards was only 150 or so. Many of the Flash Guards being during Flash Move, sometimes chaining them multiple times without leaving either Flash bar.

Drops rates are pretty fair I think, but I had Drop Rate+/++/+++ on my arms at all times and Rare Drop Rate+ accessory on quite often. After I beat the post-game dungeon, I was able to craft everything but like 4 items. Since I was so close, I farmed for 10-15 minutes and finished off crafting those to get my 100% Item Collection trophy. I also got most of the other trophies through the playthrough except for playing 4 characters 5 hours each, 100 EXTRA Skill uses (I didn't use it much) and get the true end on Nightmare difficulty.

I went through it on normal and found it rather easy. Probably should've done hard, but I don't usually care to increase difficulty just for the sake of difficulty. I'd wager it took me 55-60 hours to more or less 100% complete the game minus the few trophies I don't care about (mentioned above). I definitely do recommend it if you enjoy Ys or enjoy action games. You don't need to play other Ys games prior to this, but you'll definitely get quite a lot of references if you have played the others. However some of them may not immediately click because of NISA's translation doesn't match up words with XSeeds translation of previous Ys games.

Finally I suppose I should also say that the translation is pretty sub-par and dry. So there will be times where you'll need to re-read something to understand what the hell NISA was trying to say. Other times when you read things like 'Big Hole', you'll just facepalm at the bad translation. Do not expect it to ever get fixed and I wouldn't pass on the game because of it either.

Oh and enjoy the 'True End'. :ziplip:

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth 'review' will probably be coming in the next couple of days too.

Resident Evil 7 Gets A New Gameplay Video For Its Not a Hero DLC Featuring Chris Redfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTZLygUUzc

NieR: Automata Surpasses 2 Million In Worldwide Shipments And Downloads

Kadokawa And KLab Announces Mixed-Media “Project Parallel” With A Theme Of “Magic x Idols”

Hokuto Ga Gotoku and Yakuza Kiwami 2 Get New Trailers Full of Guts and Awesomeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOmCyIzLbEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkZjSxIQgI

Yakuza Kiwami 2 TGS 2017 Gameplay Footage Shows New Clan Creator And Gravure Shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nd2sf6b3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_UdHD3Px0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddm2ZmlH-W0

13 minutes of A Certain Magical Virtual-On gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laDWgM668Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEH4vy3PXM

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case coming west in 2018

Unfortunately that's just George Kamitani's New Year greetings art he drew for the year of the monkey (2016).

I've been saying a xi you ji style of Chinese legendry would make an amazing backdrop for an Odin Sphere/Muramasa-like game ever since, but alas, the art has nothing to do with the recruitment,
I am disappoint.

Wow what in the actual eff is going on in this thread?

As far as DLC stuff is concerned...look...if you like it, buy it. If not, don't buy it. If you feel compelled to send a company a message, don't buy the game until it hits a Humble Bundle price.

Says the guy who bought all of the Trails DLC...In my defense, I want to give Xseed as much money as possible so they can bring the Crossbell arc and Sen III to the US.

Finally I suppose I should also say that the translation is pretty sub-par and dry. So there will be times where you'll need to re-read something to understand what the hell NISA was trying to say. Other times when you read things like 'Big Hole', you'll just facepalm at the bad translation. Do not expect it to ever get fixed and I wouldn't pass on the game because of it either.
I saw on Twitter posting a line where someone mentions taking a dookie. Funny for all the wrong reasons.

I'm wondering how the PC version is gonna look when they actually launch it. Too bad I never got a beta code. I take it you didn't either Drake? Man if only they let US play the beta two weeks beforehand! Sadly I tried to see if any news was updated on the Steam thread. People are just in a flame war, so don't even bother even loading up the Steam page for the game right now. Lol.

Oh and not sure if this got posted but Zwei The Ilvard Insurrection got pushed back to Fall 2017. Oddly they delayed the game one day before their release window closed similar to what NISA did with Ys VIII...but then again Xseed gives windows and then drops the release date two weeks before launch. Make of it what you will folks.

Either way, more time for me to play Ys VII, VIII, Destiny 2, and...oh what the heck was I gonna play? Everything. What will I finish? The world may never know.

I saw on Twitter posting a line where someone mentions taking a dookie. Funny for all the wrong reasons.

I'm wondering how the PC version is gonna look when they actually launch it. Too bad I never got a beta code. I take it you didn't either Drake? Man if only they let US play the beta two weeks beforehand!

Oh and not sure if this got posted but Zwei The Ilvard Insurrection got pushed back to Fall 2017. Oddly they delayed the game one day before their release window closed similar to what NISA did with Ys VIII...but then again Xseed gives windows and then drops the release date two weeks before launch. Make of it what you will folks.

Either way, more time for me to play Ys VII, VIII, Destiny 2, and...oh what the heck was I gonna play? Everything. What will I finish? The world may never know.
He probably says the same thing in Japanese, but what word and context they used for it could be something else entirely. So I can't really comment on whether NISA was at fault there for that. It's not unusual for Japanese characters to be candid about their habits when they're from the countryside. It's one of the lesser issues the translation has anyways.

And no, I did not get into beta. Played a friends copy on the PS4. Durante has some playtime, but very little (less than an hour). I think it appeared on his Steam profile after their delay. Whether or not that means anything is anybodies guess. He's mostly playing Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Yes, Zwei was delayed. No real surprise there. There was less than two weeks before Summer ended, so they figured they ought to update it to fall. Seems like it's mostly done, just fixing all of the bugs and what not. They also put up a Localization Blog #3 about it as well.

That Soejima one looks amazing. Where did you buy it from and how much was it? A quick Google search showed that it was sold out from the usual suspects.
I bought the Japanese version because the English version is 100+ bucks, and there's relatively little text like BRW mentioned

I got it using ShoppingMallJapan as proxy for Yahoo JP auctions

Looking at preordering RIVE last minute from PlayAsia to get entered in the contest. Anyone buying both variants? Since it’s saying one entry per person I’m thinking I’m going to buy one and buy the other when I do a big purchase down the road for all the available exclusives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why this DLC is taking more than 8 months to release...

Yakuza Kiwami 2 TGS 2017 Gameplay Footage Shows New Clan Creator And Gravure Shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nd2sf6b3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_UdHD3Px0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddm2ZmlH-W0
*sigh* I was hoping that they would have updated the Dragon Engine for Kiwami 2....Guess not. Everyone still has those expressionless faces during in-game cutscenes and ragdoll physics still looks present.

Oh snap, it's happening:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35150&Title=Muv-Luv+Alternative

Muv-Luv Alternative

Platform: PS Vita
Rating Category:
Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content, Strong Language, Violence
Rating Summary: This is a sci-fi visual novel in which players follow the story of a man (Takeru) trying to save humanity from an alien invasion. As players progress through the narrative, they can observe several animations and still images, some of which depict violent acts: gun-wielding mechs fighting alien creatures; aliens struck by bullets; a mech holding up a severed alien head. A handful of scenes show human characters with bloodstained faces or clothing. The game contains some sexual material: characters in bed together while moaning is heard; dialogue/on-screen text describing touching/caressing (e.g., “Lying here—with her skin against mine, and her inner warmth cradling me on all sides..."); an image of a man accidentally grabbing a woman's breasts (e.g., "What the hell did I just grab, and why is it so soft?"); a female character describing being tortured and repeatedly caressed by alien appendages (a still image depicts appendages in her mouth). A handful of still images also depict characters with large amounts of their breasts exposed. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “a*shole” appear in the dialogue.

I bought the Japanese version because the English version is 100+ bucks, and there's relatively little text like BRW mentioned

I got it using ShoppingMallJapan as proxy for Yahoo JP auctions
Ahhh cool, thanks for the info. I saw a couple on eBay for 40ish, so I wasn't sure if those were legitimate. I'll look into it some more, thanks again.

Never been worried about Muv Luv getting here, since they have been giving consistent updates every so often and the team seems to be actually passionate about the everything.

Never been worried about Muv Luv getting here, since they have been giving consistent updates every so often and the team seems to be actually passionate about the everything.
It's just Sekai Project giving localization of VNs to the Vita a bad name. They've promised a lot, shown nothing for it and don't keep anybody updated on what the hell they're actually doing. They probably have some unpaid intern the only person working on getting the Vita versions done, if any at all.

Just saw I got an e-mail earlier today that my Senran Kagura Peach Beach Slash shipped.

ce4.gif

Can't wait to play with you all in the battlefield pool!

It's just Sekai Project giving localization of VNs to the Vita a bad name. They've promised a lot, shown nothing for it and don't keep anybody updated on what the hell they're actually doing. They probably have some unpaid intern the only person working on getting the Vita versions done, if any at all.
They announced their partnership with LRG last year ago. Nothing yet. Lul

Bullet Girls Phantasia confirmed for Asian-English release:

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/910806046159065089
Faaaantastic. Now give me omega labyrinth z and I would have all the import games I want.

Guess I'll be getting the vita version. Hope it doesn't get gimped too hard. Looks like a musou so probably just fewer enemies on screen and lower framerate like Extella.

Faaaantastic. Now give me omega labyrinth z and I would have all the import games I want.

Guess I'll be getting the vita version. Hope it doesn't get gimped too hard. Looks like a musou so probably just fewer enemies on screen and lower framerate like Extella.
The first two were comparable to the Senran Kagura games, so essentially ecchi musou.

I want OMZ as well, but ever since the Heavy-Arm incident I'm very doubtful it'll get any English support. I have a long list of games I'd like to see come over, but the only one that looks like it's still a possibility is Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain because of the PS4 "Plus" version.

Oh no, I understand completely when it comes to issues with Sekai Project. It just seemed there were some who were worried the issues would befall Muv Luv, because as you mentioned when it comes to VNs, Sekai's name has tainted the pool.

Got my shipping notice for PBS tooo!

I guess these are all the characters who are going to get new voice overs to some of their lines for the PC port of Cold Steel II?

Direct Twitter Link
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/910992549300510720

[customspoiler='Twitter Image']
DKR-0n8UQAAm2oK.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Sad that I don't see Becky on that list. Good that we'll see Fast Arts Man #2 voiced. More Duvalie is absolutely fucking awesome though. She was a riot.

And seeing [customspoiler='this screenshot']
DKIy21zXUAAkehz.jpg
[/customspoiler] of Cold Steel III just brings up so many questions I don't really want answered, ever. Guess I'll need to start avoiding Trails threads for a while since the game releases in Japan next week. Now for the long, long wait.

I guess these are all the characters who are going to get new voice overs to some of their lines for the PC port of Cold Steel II?

Direct Twitter Link
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/910992549300510720

[customspoiler='Twitter Image']
DKR-0n8UQAAm2oK.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Sad that I don't see Becky on that list. Good that we'll see Fast Arts Man #2 voiced. More Duvalie is absolutely fucking awesome though. She was a riot.

And seeing [customspoiler='this screenshot']
DKIy21zXUAAkehz.jpg
[/customspoiler] of Cold Steel III just brings up so many questions I don't really want answered, ever. Guess I'll need to start avoiding Trails threads for a while since the game releases in Japan next week. Now for the long, long wait.
I was wondering what that picture meant. And as far as the wait, I still feel like:

1vy0k8.jpg

I was wondering what that picture meant. And as far as the wait, I still feel like:
If you're referring to the twitter pic, some of the voices may also be for Cold Steel I. They couldn't get everybody they wanted in prior to release, so some got shoved to when they were going to do the recordings for Cold Steel II PC.

The second pic, I have no words.

The first two were comparable to the Senran Kagura games, so essentially ecchi musou.

I want OMZ as well, but ever since the Heavy-Arm incident I'm very doubtful it'll get any English support. I have a long list of games I'd like to see come over, but the only one that looks like it's still a possibility is Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain because of the PS4 "Plus" version.
i hope this new one is musuo style because the first one had very few enemies at once. about 4 or 5 most but usually only 2 at a time.

still waiting for owz in English too, along with the moe chronicles ones.

If you're referring to the twitter pic, some of the voices may also be for Cold Steel I. They couldn't get everybody they wanted in prior to release, so some got shoved to when they were going to do the recordings for Cold Steel II PC.

The second pic, I have no words.
Hmm I wonder if the girls are going to get shirtless options :p It's only fair ;) Also who's the silver haired guy with the pony tail? Is that a new character?

I'll never forgive Capcom Japan for Legends 3.

Monster Hunter World will be, I think, the second Capcom game I've bought since the Legends cancellation.

Annnnd I missed all the Capcom discussion by a page or two >_>

For those still interested in the Project Diva DX controller Amazon.JP sorted out their ridic shipping cost & It's now down to $140 shipped.

I haven't seen it in any of the articles posted, but Atelier Lydie & Suelle has been confirmed to be coming to PC/Steam like the past two games. Just need to hope Koei Tecmo does a better job, but anybody who has watched their PC ports over the years know that isn't going to happen.

I don't remember if it was originally announced to include PC or not. Usually they aren't.

I haven't seen it in any of the articles posted, but Atelier Lydie & Suelle has been confirmed to be coming to PC/Steam like the past two games. Just need to hope Koei Tecmo does a better job, but anybody who has watched their PC ports over the years know that isn't going to happen.

I don't remember if it was originally announced to include PC or not. Usually they aren't.
No it wasn't but it was kind of a given seeing as we're getting blue reflection soon and nights of azure. I'm glad gust(kt) is embracing the pc market. Planning to buy the bundle and season pass for blue reflection on pc.

Ooh they have dual attacks. Which we know but it looks cooler than I thought. I wonder if everyone will have a unique pair attack. Also I don't get what the criteria is for Suelle to perform the extra attacks. She seems to be activating it every time but Sophie didn't support attack once. Nevermind, seems sophie support attacks when you use items I guess? Still not sure but it seems like each of them has a different requirement. Lydie always heals when you attack or take damage.

I for one can't wait till they don't have to do cross PS4/Vita releases. Maybe it's just me, but I'd wish they concentrate development on just PS4/PC for niche games, except simpler ones like VNs, dungeon RPGs, or things like that.

bread's done
Back