Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh man look what came in for me!!

tumblr_oytalwX50U1tctta4o1_540.png
That's a nice looking package. Looking forward to tomorrow when I pick up mine

Ys VIII localization fix, PC version delayed to early 2018

Summon Night 6’s Relationship Elements Feel A Little Superficial

ACA NeoGeo Art of Fighting 3 footage

Project Nimbus: Code Mirai ‘Protect the City’ gameplay

lucky considering its not out till tomorrow. Mine just entered preparing to ship and they charged me for shipping which is dumb since it supposed to be free.
That's a nice looking package. Looking forward to tomorrow when I pick up mine
That is the JP Premium Edition. :lol:

Well since Blizzcon is going on, they posted a new Animated Short for Overwatch so I'll throw it here for any interested:

[customspoiler='Honor and Glory']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfk5HykiEk[/customspoiler]

Also new hero, Moira who is a support healer (PTR "Soon"):

[customspoiler='Introducing Moira']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLopqeL9s8[/customspoiler]

Finally a new hybrid map (PTR "Soon"):

[customspoiler='Map: Blizzard World (Hybrid Attack-Payload)']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3Hce3_fOw[/customspoiler]

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'll mentioned they're nerfing the new Mercy by making her resurrect take longer to cast (Instant -> 1.7 seconds) and Anna is getting her damaged buffed from 60 to 70. Pretty sure that affects her healing as well.

Awesome needed another healer for Overwatch. Also has a neat design and more maps are always appreciated.

Also on another random note the box words for Summon Knight 6 Vita are great. Gushing this and that about the game. Also when talking about battle scenarios they put, "Play all of them, or play none of them and just stick this on your shelf to seem cool. We don't judge. Oh, and if it isn't enough this also has the largest physical manual for a Vita game, featuring over 70 beefy, full-color, gorgeously illustrated pages for you to caress and enjoy."

There will be much caressing done here Vic....I promise!

I'm so excited about classic WoW.

I have a lot of nostalgia for vanilla WoW. I probably won't be able to achieve half of what I did back then (clear through BWL, get Benediction/Anathema, rank 10 in the PvP system, exalted with three battleground factions, etc /brag) thanks to free time alone, but it'll still be great.

Was hoping Blizzard would restock the Tracer statue this weekend :(. Finally have a nice chunk of extra money thanks to some College reimbursements, but I bet they finally restock her the moment I'm broke again and she'll be gone for another 6+ months.

They're adding some new standard lootbox (non-event) legendary (or epic) skins too (ETA Early 2018):

Album Here

Other heroes are at least getting something too, but no idea what they may be. Twitter link.

[customspoiler='Finally, Moira Origin Story.']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETybQd4uRE[/customspoiler]

Two of Moira's legendary skins as concept art as well (Confirmed on live stream). Yes, that's a David Bowie/JoJo hybrid skin.

They're adding some new standard lootbox (non-event) legendary (or epic) skins too (ETA Early 2018):

Album Here
Would've been nice if we got the extra healer and more updates a while ago. Now the game just feels stale.

But I do absolutely love the Nova Widowmaker skin though. A Kerrigan one would be nice too, and maybe Raynor for Mccree/76.

I didn't follow Blizzcon, but I'm guessing that's all they announced in relation to Star Craft...

I didn't follow Blizzcon, but I'm guessing that's all they announced in relation to Star Craft...
StarCraft II is going Free to Play more or less. Versus is now entirely free. Wings of Liberty campaign is entirely free. If you owned Wings of Liberty prior, you get the campaign for Heart of the Swarm for free. All co-op commanders level up to 5 now with Kerrigan, Raynor & Artanis being completely free.

Besides that you have new announcements for World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm & Overwatch. Diablo got shafted. WoW and Overwatch were the two biggest reveals this year I'd say.

Album Here
At least Zarya finally gets a decent skin, and the Nova widowmaker reminds me of terran Kerrigan. I love Mei, but they really need to get some stuff out to other characters i.e. Sombra & Lucio off the top of my head.

First i win a free copy of Blue Reflection from KT's Twitter Account. 

Now i got a 20% off code on PSN in my email...i thought it was still November?!  O:)

Seriously though, not sure what i should use this 20% off on.

Feel like holding off till next week, but its the 1st tuesday of the month so the sale most likely will suck.  :whistle2:k

Finished up Zwei, which was a pretty good game. Took around 15-20 hours, which includes a fair bit of optional stuff. Not sure if I'll do a write-up for it, but I will recommend it. Voice acting sounds a little weird at times, but it seems to be decent most of the time. All the characters have quite the personalities too. The game in general has a lot of sassy dialogue, but it flows well to make that sass feel fairly natural.

Started up Summon Night 6 and it just feels... off. Dialogue doesn't really flow well in a lot of spots and the voice acting is the most boring monotone-like voices I've heard in a game in a long time. It's definitely not Chaos Wars bad, but it's not good either. Voices just sound incredibly unnatural. Combat is fine though, as expected. Don't really like how the last person to finish the last enemy in a fight gets a lot more skill points though. Should've been a shared pool that everybody can pull from honestly.

Now i got a 20% off code on PSN in my email...i thought it was still November?! O:)

Feel like holding off till next week, but its the 1st tuesday of the month so the sale most likely will suck. :whistle2:k
Grats on winning Blue Reflection!

And be careful, the coupon expires on the 13th at 11:59 pt. I had wanted to use mine on the SO4 remaster/port. Looks like it expires right before I could use it on that. :cry:

Anyone have any thoughts on Caligula Effect? I wanna use that 20% off PSN code on a digital only Vita game, and that one is on sale currently.

Anyone have any thoughts on Caligula Effect? I wanna use that 20% off PSN code on a digital only Vita game, and that one is on sale currently.
I'm considering the same, so I'd also be interested to hear some opinions about it. You might already know this, but you'll have to checkout on a PS3 system for it to work as the code doesn't work on the web store. It's kind of a bummer as I'd really prefer to mix and match a few Vita / PS4 items with the same code.

I'm considering the same, so I'd also be interested to hear some opinions about it. You might already know this, but you'll have to checkout on a PS3 system for it to work as the code doesn't work on the web store. It's kind of a bummer as I'd really prefer to mix and match a few Vita / PS4 items with the same code.
Very, very slow game play. Game play is pretty clunky but interesting with a decent combo battle system. Story is pretty interesting even though the characters aren't too great. I only played like 3 hours, but it's more cause I wanted to play another type of game. Lots of lag in the game. It's not a terrible game, but other dungeon crawlers on the Vita are much better to play. It might be a diamond in the rough, but there is plenty of rough in the game. I wouldn't recommend it much.

Imports arrived! Very happy but probably won't do this for a while, too expensive :( even with the "manual free shipping" of friends who frequently travel between US and Asia.

[attachment=28519:491277050.jpg]

Kinda sad Diablo got shafted. That game is in a state of dead to me right now and I would of liked a reason to jump back in.

Overwatch I still define as broken because some characters need reworking. Although Vanilla WoW is pretty damn cool.

In actual related to the thread news though, got my .hack in. Excited for it to sit on my shelf for a few years while I keep telling myself, I will play it soon.

Received earlier a $10 coupon from Best Buy different from the mystery e-mail one given out the other day. It works online, on pre-orders, and even digital items. It expires on November 18th so it's plenty of time to decide on what you'd like to buy. Be sure to check your e-mail account to see if you happened to get one as well. Not getting the mystery e-mail or the 20% off PSN e-mail paid off in some way.

Wb9HpiB.gif

Now i got a 20% off code on PSN in my email...i thought it was still November?! O:)

Feel like holding off till next week, but its the 1st tuesday of the month so the sale most likely will suck. :whistle2:k
shiness is part of the double discount sale. Game probably wont go any lower than this.

That's my fault for not reading the whole post.

I am disappoint
He edited the post after you and I posted so you arent at fault.

In actual related to the thread news though, got my .hack in. Excited for it to sit on my shelf for a few years while I keep telling myself, I will play it soon.
Got mine too which was surprising since I wasn't expecting it till the 10th. Shame it doesn't look like that jpn version. Surprised they got all 4 games on 1 disc plus the termina stuff.

Congratz on winning the Blue Reflection. I never win stuff like that so I'm glad someone out there is.

I used my 20% off on Caligula Effect since it's on sale.

I only started it. The music is good of course. The combat seems like it'll be interesting once you fully unlock all the features and party members. Characters and story don't seem like they will win any awards. It seems the game got quite a few QoL improvements since the initial japanese release. I think $20-$25 is a good price for the game.

Week 11 of the release bonanza or week 10 for Japanese niche only releases. This is more of a temporary respite this week. Though Nioh is coming out on PC finally and technically Sonic Forces is releasing as well. Anyways, lots of metroidvania titles this week, many of which aren't Japanese. Other than that, just be sure you've taken into account the daylight savings that took effect today unless you live somewhere that doesn't take part in it, like Arizona.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Usurper (Metroidvania / Early Access)
- One Strike (Fighting)
- Slashers: The Power Battle (Fighting / Early Access)
- Our End of the World (Visual Novel / Chinese Only)
- NEKO-NIN exHeart +PLUS Nachi (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (November 5th - November 11th)

Mario Party: The Top 100
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Party
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Local only.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (Expansion)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action / Adventure
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Obviously not Japanese.

Ace of Seafood
- Genre: Action / Underwater
- Comments: Digital only. Lead your fish armies to battle and become king of the ocean. Previously on PC.

Nioh: Complete Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Digital only. Just a package that includes all three DLC. Finally out on PC.

Wuppo
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Not Japanese.

La-Mulana EX (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Has both a Normal ($30) and Collector's Edition ($65).

Maldita Castilla EX: Cursed Castilla
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Digital only I assume. Previously released on PS4, Xbox One, 3DS & PC.

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: Western style DRPG. Not Japanese.

Sonic Forces
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, Switch & PC
- Genre: Platformer / Action

Koi DX
- Genre: Puzzle / Adventure

Cat Quest
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash / RPG
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously released on PC & iOS. PS4 releases next week but not sure if I'll re-list it.

Assault Android Cactus
- Platform(s): Xbox One
- Genre: Twin-Stick Shooter
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously on PS4 & PC.

Starlight of Aeons
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese dev? Was Greenlit before Greenlight was removed.

Eiyu*Senki – The World Conquest
- Genre: Strategy
- Comments: Previously released on the PS3. The 18+ version is available via JAST USA.

Chaos Souls
- Genre: Action / Sidescroller

Schatte ~The Witch and the Fake Shadow~
- Genre: Action RPG

Past Releases
October 29th - November 4th
October 22nd - October 28th
October 15th - October 21st
October 8th - October 14th
October 1st - October 7th

Got Mario Odyssey a couple days ago, it is indeed awesome! Feels like Sunshine in that they took a gimmick as the focus and built the game around it (FLUDD/Cappy) and it works. Insane amount of moons, almost too many haha

My Moero Crystal (import) trophies won't show up on my PSNPROFILES card, I thought they were pretty comprehensive in non-US trophy lists?

bread's done
Back