Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The endless cycle continues. One or two more weeks left until it officially hits Christmas season and all you money shifts to that. Then afterwords, it will pick back up for a month or two again. Western wise, you've got some ports to current consoles and the still pay for a massive advantage, Battlefront II.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Harvest Life (Simulation)
- Light Apprentice - The Comic Book RPG (RPG)
- Willy-Nilly Knight (RPG)
- Punch Planet (Fighting | Early Access)
- Death Coming (Puzzle)

Weekly Releases (November 12th - November 18th)

Pokemon Ultra Moon / Sun
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG / Catch'em All
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Enhanced version of the original Sun & Moon. Has a physical dual pack steelbook available that includes both games.

Demon Gaze II
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Has two styles of art for character creation recruited demons.

De Blob
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Puzzle Platformer
- Comments: Australian dev.

School Girl/Zombie Hunter
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.

Cat Quest

- Genre: Action RPG

- Comments: Released last week on Switch & PC. Mobile port.

Knights of Valour

- Genre: Beat'em Up / Sidescroller

- Comments: Port of an old game. Not sure if it has multiplayer.

Crawl

- Genre: Action / Dungeon Crawler
- Online: Local only.

- Comments: Previously released on Xbox One & PC.

Tokyo Tattoo Girls
- Platform(s): Vita, PC
- Genre: Strategy
- Comments: I'm sure you're ready to "ink" your girls.

VA-11 Hall-A
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Cyberpunk
- Comments: Previously released on the PC. Will eventually get an LRG physical edition.

Antiquia Lost
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Digital only. KEMCO mobile port.

VVVVVV
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Puzzle Platformer / Death
- Comments: British/Irish dev.

Gachimuchi
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not Japanese.

仙劍奇俠傳六 (Chinese Paladin:Sword and Fairy 6)
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Is actually in English. Chinese dev.

Slay the Spire
- Genre: Cards / RPG
- Comments: Not Japanese.

HYAKKI CASTLE
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: More like Grimrock & has an interesting split party mechanic.

Ride with son
- Comments: Russian dev.

Starlight of Aeons
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Wild Romance: Mofu Mofu Edition
- Comments: Enhanced version of their original Wild Romance VN.

Keen
- Genre: Puzzle / Turn-Based Strategy
- Comments: Brazillian dev, Cat Nigiri.

Cicadas
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Umineko When They Cry - Answer Arcs
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery
- Comments: Second half of the Umineko series. Published by MangaGamer.

東方天空璋 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Japanese language only. Has English patch. First official Touhou available in the west.

鉄道運転士VR
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Simulation / Trains
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Past Releases
November 5th - November 11th
October 29th - November 4th
October 22nd - October 28th
October 15th - October 21st
October 8th - October 14th

Surprised to see a mobile port get a physical release even though Playstation's blog lists it as digital only. If they're going that route, I guess I'll go ahead and add it. Although I probably should regardless.

I should add Knights of Valour too and probably Crawl too. Not sure how I missed the other game though.

New leaks look at the future of Street Fighter V, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Soulcalibur VI

If these leaks are true, then what a turn of events. The upcoming DLC for MvC:I and SFV look so awesome, while the DBFZ one is meh. We might get Xmen and old favorites for MvC:I, while DBFZ gets another Goku and Vegeta. But again, these are just rumors.

Western wise, you've got some ports to current consoles and the still pay for a massive advantage, Battlefront II.
And I've read it takes 40 hours of grinding to unlock a new hero... and the devs are even talking back to the community on Twitter... what a mess.

New leaks look at the future of Street Fighter V, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Soulcalibur VI

If these leaks are true, then what a turn of events. The upcoming DLC for MvC:I and SFV look so awesome, while the DBFZ one is meh. We might get Xmen and old favorites for MvC:I, while DBFZ gets another Goku and Vegeta. But again, these are just rumors.

And I've read it takes 40 hours of grinding to unlock a new hero... and the devs are even talking back to the community on Twitter... what a mess.
Not like Z Fighter needs more versions of Goku and Vegeta. Can they just add. You know. Some more unique characters besides powered up versions of Goku. Give me Jaco.

Ill just wait for the Ultimate Version of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Not like Z Fighter needs more versions of Goku and Vegeta. Can they just add. You know. Some more unique characters besides powered up versions of Goku. Give me Jaco.

Ill just wait for the Ultimate Version of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
Right, I have been seeing the new season of Dragon Ball and to be honest I just don't like it it's all over the place I might even say it might be more terrible than GT and that got trashed way more, they need to add actual new characters to the game enough as reskins with diff colors

Draekon, while I'm sorry to correct you, Double Dealing Character was technically the first Touhou for the west, not Hidden Star in Four Seasons, which would technically be the second.
Saying you're sorry makes it sound like I did something horrendous. I always forget that Playism and DLsite exist. I think there's a third one too that handles a lot of foreign indie games, but I can't remember.

To me it's more that cards give such an insane advantage over not having a specific one via RNG. Part Disney's fault for likely not letting EA monetize it the "better" way and still mostly Dice/EA's fault for signing off on such a shitty system. I don't see it having good player retention because of the terrible card system. It makes it hard for new players to start playing, even if they aren't initially getting put into servers with people using high end cards.

DICE can't do much with their EA overlords breathing over them. That's the way I see it. 

I can imagine EA threatening them. "You want to be like these other studios?"

cEfHRJN.png

For those asking "I've already played Pokemon Sun and Moon, what's different?"

Most of the new things seen in the trailers are late game or post-credits events. If you're familiar with the current games and know when Solgaleo or Lunala come into the story, that's where the new content really hits.  Think Pokemon Platinum in the way of content changes beforehand.

That same source is saying Mother 3 English release and The World Ends With You 2 on Switch.

For those asking "I've already played Pokemon Sun and Moon, what's different?"

Most of the new things seen in the trailers are late game or post-credits events. If you're familiar with the current games and know when Solgaleo or Lunala come into the story, that's where the new content really hits. Think Pokemon Platinum in the way of content changes beforehand.
I've been wondering this. Ultramately decided to cancel my steelbook order. As good as Sun/Moon was I don't really want to play mostly the same game again.

I'm still confused on what Ultra Sun/Moon is. My copy of Sun disappeared before I finished it, so is Ultra a B/W2 kind of situation or just Sun/Moon again with some extra stuff?

Too many characters of little significance like Raditz, Nappa, and Bardock, and also like you said, too many rehashes of Goku and Vegeta. Where's the other story heavy characters like Goten/Kid Trunks, Gotenks, Adult Gohan, Super/Kid Buu?

They also said they weren't adding movie characters since the initial roster was story-based, and the movie chars aren't canon. So they could add them afterwards as DLC. So they should be adding characters like Janemba, Cooler, Bojack, etc. as DLC then, especially when there's only 8 slots to fill.

Right, I have been seeing the new season of Dragon Ball and to be honest I just don't like it it's all over the place I might even say it might be more terrible than GT and that got trashed way more, they need to add actual new characters to the game enough as reskins with diff colors
Enemy of periods.

Jaco would make a great addition.

And so does Tarbles. 

Too bad the Bulma Rumour was false. I would've played her and spammed Capsules.

I'm still confused on what Ultra Sun/Moon is. My copy of Sun disappeared before I finished it, so is Ultra a B/W2 kind of situation or just Sun/Moon again with some extra stuff?
It is a revision of Sun and Moon where Necrozma (a Pokemon that appears in the original game after catching all the Ultra Beasts) becomes the main threat of the game. The main antagonist's motive changes, but still has the same general plan to reach it so the game progresses exactly the same. Since the reveal isn't until the last quarter of the game, it just plays out like normal Sun and Moon with a couple dialogue changes.

Post credits is when things really start changing. Namely the Rainbow Rocket stuff from the trailers.

DICE can't do much with their EA overlords breathing over them. That's the way I see it.

I can imagine EA threatening them. "You want to be like these other studios?"

cEfHRJN.png
Don’t get me wrong, EA is a big company and runs itself that way, but it is definitely not to blame for the wall of sadness there.

DOeyeXDVAAAV5hM.jpg

Hope for a VC 2/3 PS4 Port guys. 

Or VC 4. 

Imagine. "We know you guys want it. So here is the announcement trailer for Valkyria Revolution 2!"

anime-crying-gif-16.gif

Swear fighting game rosters are getting some out of left field addictions lately. Hellboy and possible TMNT for Injustice, Noctis in Tekken? Whats next, Teletubbies in Street Fighter and the SNK Roster in MvC:I?
What do you mean possible TMNT? They just got announced.

I rather get a new SNK game first.

Swear fighting game rosters are getting some out of left field addictions lately. Hellboy and possible TMNT for Injustice, Noctis in Tekken? Whats next, Teletubbies in Street Fighter and the SNK Roster in MvC:I?
Unexpected to be sire, but Hellboy and TMNT are technically within that universe so it's great additions. Noctis in Tekken definitely has to be PS4 exclusive like how they did similarly for Soul Caliber, but I enjoy the console unique characters.

Can't wait to see what else comes.

Swear fighting game rosters are getting some out of left field addictions lately. Hellboy and possible TMNT for Injustice, Noctis in Tekken? Whats next, Teletubbies in Street Fighter and the SNK Roster in MvC:
I'd personally rather see the Teletubbies in MK. :D

snk in mvci would be cool i would only use them thou.
also I'm now interested in injustice 2 with it's roster of 4, that i will pretend is a tournament fighters sequel.
if noctis is dlc 3, who was 2 ? 1 was geese right? i only see eliza on the psn store as dlc.

Yeah like Olengie said, it's been confirmed. But the funniest thing was, I watched the reveal for Noctis live, and when they showed the 4 guys, Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis, someone said "OMG all 4 of them!?" Lol, someone was still stuck on the TMNT hype.

But considering that Mortal Kombat X had like Alien, Predator, Jason, and Leatherface, Killer Instinct had Battletoads, and Blazblue Tag will have RWBY, it's becoming pretty common place. Street Fighter won't have any guests like that sadly.

But it gives me hope that if they make a Soul Calibur 6, they might have 2B/Too Booty...

Unexpected to be sire, but Hellboy and TMNT are technically within that universe so it's great additions. Noctis in Tekken definitely has to be PS4 exclusive like how they did similarly for Soul Caliber, but I enjoy the console unique characters.

Can't wait to see what else comes.
It won't be a PS4 exclusive, since Tekken 7 is out for all 3 platforms, and the season pass is also for all 3. So whatever they release on one they have to release for the others.

snk in mvci would be cool i would only use them thou.
also I'm now interested in injustice 2 with it's roster of 4, that i will pretend is a tournament fighters sequel.
if noctis is dlc 3, who was 2 ? 1 was geese right? i only see eliza on the psn store as dlc.
The DLC in the season pass isn't just characters. So Tekken Bowling is 1, Geese will be 2, and Noctis will be 3. I think...

is the season pass really the only way to get the characters?
ughh, doesn't even include eliza.
i blame capcom for hanging out with namco for too much since sfxt.

Yeah like Olengie said, it's been confirmed. But the funniest thing was, I watched the reveal for Noctis live, and when they showed the 4 guys, Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis, someone said "OMG all 4 of them!?" Lol, someone was still stuck on the TMNT hype.

But considering that Mortal Kombat X had like Alien, Predator, Jason, and Leatherface, Killer Instinct had Battletoads, and Blazblue Tag will have RWBY, it's becoming pretty common place. Street Fighter won't have any guests like that sadly.

But it gives me hope that if they make a Soul Calibur 6, they might have 2B/Too Booty...

It won't be a PS4 exclusive, since Tekken 7 is out for all 3 platforms, and the season pass is also for all 3. So whatever they release on one they have to release for the others.

The DLC in the season pass isn't just characters. So Tekken Bowling is 1, Geese will be 2, and Noctis will be 3. I think...
I wish Arc Systems would include Skullgirls in Battle Tag. They did the JPN release. And they did their version of Filla

I think you misunderstood the whole console exclusive comment I made. I meant to infer how one iteration of Soul Calibur had PS get Darth Vader, XB had Yoda, and Nintendo had Link. It was a while ago that they did so I was thinking that's what they would do here. Buuut for whatever reason, I thought FFXV only released on PS which is why I said what I said, but I was wrong there so no exclusive either way.

Sega must be making their own Yakuza fighting game

Kiryu, Majima, Goda, Kazama, Mr. Libido, Pocket-Circuit Fighter, everybody

Although the main series is already a brawler, a 2D fighting game would be cool anyway

bread's done
Back