Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Noctis as the next Tekken DLC characters is kinda dumb to be honest. They missed out on a much better choice.

Tekken7Kazuma.jpg
Nice, but seeing this makes me want a playable Goro Majima (and his umbrella) in the next Soul Calibur, whenever that happens.

The TMNT in Injustice may just be the best DLC announcement of all time. I like how they resemble the turtles from the original 1990 film, and not the horrible versions from recent movies.
Yeah, to me it might be the coolest fighting game DLC character ever announced. Look forward to getting some games in with you again!

is the season pass really the only way to get the characters?
ughh, doesn't even include eliza.
I don't know yet since they haven't released them, but I think they might sell them separately, but for much more. Tekken Bowling DLC 1 is released apart from the season pass too, so I think they'll do it like that for the other ones too. Eliza should still be a code inside new copies also.

I wish Arc Systems would include Skullgirls in Battle Tag. They did the JPN release. And they did their version of Filla
There's a couple of mystery characters spots in the character select screen for CTB, so that's always a possibility. Would be pretty darn sick.

7 in fact. So maybe... P5 characters? DBZ? Guilty Gear? Tekken? Neptunia?

DLYqrQtWsAAYiFO.jpg

I think you misunderstood the whole console exclusive comment I made. I meant to infer how one iteration of Soul Calibur had PS get Darth Vader, XB had Yoda, and Nintendo had Link. It was a while ago that they did so I was thinking that's what they would do here. Buuut for whatever reason, I thought FFXV only released on PS which is why I said what I said, but I was wrong there so no exclusive either way.
My bad, I sort of misunderstood. I knew about the platform exclusives for SC4, but FFXV is multiplat like you said. I was gonna say if they do it like that, which would be cool, they could also have like Lara Croft for XB1, and something else for PC.

I'm curious though, is Noctis going to come out before FFXV hits PC?

Too many characters of little significance like Raditz, Nappa, and Bardock, and also like you said, too many rehashes of Goku and Vegeta. Where's the other story heavy characters like Goten/Kid Trunks, Gotenks, Adult Gohan, Super/Kid Buu?
Would have been cool to have the character that's both Goten/Trunks that can use energy bars to fuse.

But I don't think the original Seiyans are of any little significance.

Edit: Also, Yang from RWBY would be awesome in Tekken.

The old Soul Calibur games were really good. I assume most people want to see a return to form rather than a continuation of 4/5's trends (or a lootbox-riddled cashgrab).
Definitely would love a return to form. The hours I put into Soul Calibur on the DC... One of my all time favorite games.

Just beat Blue Reflection and have to say it was a flawed but enjoyable game and I hope they manage to produce a sequel down the road. I also hope they don't pull an Azure Nights 1 to 2 on it. As much as I enjoyed Blue Reflection, I am not sure it is one I could easily recommend to anyone but the most nichest of the niche JRPG fans. Next up 4 Goddesses Online then over to Y's VIII. 

Just beat Blue Reflection and have to say it was a flawed but enjoyable game and I hope they manage to produce a sequel down the road. I also hope they don't pull an Azure Nights 1 to 2 on it. As much as I enjoyed Blue Reflection, I am not sure it is one I could easily recommend to anyone but the most nichest of the niche JRPG fans. Next up 4 Goddesses Online then over to Y's VIII.
I've watched a lot of reviews on Blue Reflection and it looks like a game I'll be waiting for it to get closer to $20. Right now I'm playing Summon Night 6 and will go to Ys VIII afterward. SN6 is okay so far. Feels like a visual novel with a few battles in between events.

I've watched a lot of reviews on Blue Reflection and it looks like a game I'll be waiting for it to get closer to $20. Right now I'm playing Summon Night 6 and will go to Ys VIII afterward. SN6 is okay so far. Feels like a visual novel with a few battles in between events.
Ys 8 is fantastic, but it's getting a full overhaul of its written and spoken dialogue early next year. you may wanna wait.

That is the biggest reason I have not started it yet and figure it can go to the back of my current backlog. I would hate to be halfway through the game and then boom new localization patch and no longer able to find the Archeozoic Big Hole.

Biggest complaint I have with Blue Reflection is the silly points system required to progress, requiring you to pretty much do the same 4 sub-quests, with slight variation, over and over to earn the required amount for the chapter. Because of this it causes the game to have some odd pacing issues and kills any sense of urgency between plot points. That aside, the voice work is top notch, music is really good and the art is par for the course for recent Gust games. 

Would have been cool to have the character that's both Goten/Trunks that can use energy bars to fuse.

But I don't think the original Seiyans are of any little significance.
You are right in that they are significant. But gameplay wise they are much to be desired. Like we already have a lot of the same saiyan archetype with strong fast punches and kicks, and energy blasts. I don't think Raditz or Nappa add much more variety. Plus, there's only a few episodes each one is in, so we never got to see a large amount of different moves from them. Whereas other more strange characters, like the Kais, or the Buus, or Uub, or any of the movie characters have more shown and provide a different approach to fighting.

Yeah the fusion idea would be sick. Like if you have full meter, you can fuse two members of your team that are fusible, like Goku/Vegeta, Goten/Trunks, and they get one lifebar, but you lose a character slot, but also get new moves and stats.

This EA Battlefront 2 stuff is getting out of control, just gonna leave this here so you know what you're getting into if you plan to pick up the game. 

Bunch of self-righteous devs and publishers that think their shitty games justify the inclusion of loot crates.   fuck loot crates.   I'm so fed up with western games lately.   Honestly, I might make a resolution to not buy any loot crate games going forward. 

I don't care about the loot crates. The game's not competitive anyway. What makes me really mad is

(real campaign story spoilers)
you betray the empire after 2 missions and then it's just a rebel scum campaign. Glory to the empire!

This EA Battlefront 2 stuff is getting out of control, just gonna leave this here so you know what you're getting into if you plan to pick up the game.
Thank you for posting that. Wow, I just watched the whole video and ugh... that part where they showed the loot crates you buy with money will give you additional credits too was disgusting. I still don't really get it to be honest, I feel like they made it so complicated and put in stuff like level restrictions is to cloud the heavy impact that microtransactions have on the game.

Like from what I watched, buying the crates will give you all the materials you need (credits, cards, and crafting parts.) You are provided cards that help you level up. Cards also give you abilities. Weapons to use that you no longer need to do a challenge for to unlock. Credits to unlock heroes (of which you might have cards for but cannot use unless you unlock.) Credits to buy additional loot crates. And crafting parts to unlock further cards as well as upgrade them, which will make the cards stronger, which in turn will level you up.) So pretty much the more money you spend, the better off you are in every scenario? Does that sum it up?

I don't care about the loot crates. The game's not competitive anyway. What makes me really mad is
(real campaign story spoilers)
you betray the empire after 2 missions and then it's just a rebel scum campaign. Glory to the empire!
Are you serious? Ugh such an outdated story mechanic. Was hoping to see a "different" perspective.

Oh well. I'm contemplating on getting Peach Beach Splash with the disappointment from shooters lately.

Guess I'll give them a mulligan. Get it right this time!

Interesting..I didn't know this was coming. As someone who recently played through both S;G and S;G 0.. and then watched the full anime series.. I can say that I enjoyed the storytelling in the original games and voice acting much more than the anime with english dub. So I'm not sure I will like this new product.. although I will admit I don't watch any anime outside of jrpg cutscense so I don't have a taste developed for it. Regardless, I'm glad the series is getting attention and the new rework of S;G seems like it will be a great fit on Switch. Might even rebuy if I can get the original voice acting.

Thanks for these updates, Supplice. I should check this thread more often.

Thank you for posting that. Wow, I just watched the whole video and ugh... that part where they showed the loot crates you buy with money will give you additional credits too was disgusting. I still don't really get it to be honest, I feel like they made it so complicated and put in stuff like level restrictions is to cloud the heavy impact that microtransactions have on the game.
I too watched the video and am truly impressed at the level of work that went into designing, coding, an implementing such an elaborate system to screw you out of your money. End of the day folks are going to buy it, EA will make a killing, Disney will wonder what all the fuss was about, nothing will be learned and the cycle will start anew next year.

Looking forward to the next Atelier game. I keep buying them but have not really played much of any of them. I think Too Many Shallies was the last one I really enjoyed.

Random question:

Does Best buy charge when you purchase it? 

Do they put a Temp charge and then clears and charges when ships?

Thanks in advance

Wanna switch my Ni No Kuni 2 from Amazon to Best Buy for the GCU

Weekly free PSN junk:

Little Nightmares

PS4

- Demo

Not seeing anything else this week. Seems like Dungeon Travelers 2, Lost Dimension, Jet Set Radio & Citizens of Earth are (still?) on sale. Other than that, there's no special sale this week.

Its strange having a choice of system, but I went with Switch for the LE. No need to remote play and my poor PS4's fan can have a break.

Random question:

Does Best buy charge when you purchase it?

Do they put a Temp charge and then clears and charges when ships?

Thanks in advance

Wanna switch my Ni No Kuni 2 from Amazon to Best Buy for the GCU
They do a temp hold, but I swear it last for weeks. As I see it for extended periods each and every time I buy something online with them.

I've gotten every Atelier LE so far, so I guess I'm getting that new one as well. 

It'll be a gift to myself since my birthday is 4 days after release. *tryingtojustifyanotherLE*

I've gotten every Atelier LE so far, so I guess I'm getting that new one as well.

It'll be a gift to myself since my birthday is 4 days after release. *tryingtojustifyanotherLE*
I've gotten the PS Vita releases that are physicals, but none of the PS4 releases. I'm a sucker for physical PS Vita releases.

I think there's two, maybe three things to consider.

1. How badly do you want the ability to play it on the go?

2. How much does the (potential) quality/performance difference bother you? Probably the best you can look to for this are reviews of Nights of Azure 2 on Switch:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/nights_of_azure_2_bride_of_the_new_moon

3. ..Trophies? Do you care?
Guess I will pick up the PS4 ver. then. Don't really play on the go and if there is some performance issues on the Switch might as well just stick with the PS4 ver. then.

The only reason I picked up Nights of Azure 2 on PS4 is because I have the original on PS4 as well. I felt like I should keep the series on the same platform for some reason.

Atelier will be a little hard for me to decide a platform. Atelier games have recently had alternating platforms (PS3/PS4/Vita and now Switch).

I guess the portable aspect in Atelier is a winning factor for me, so I'll likely get the Switch version.

bread's done
Back