Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a squad invite. I'm already over 100 hours in. This has been the first game to truly pull me away from For Honor for more than a day or two since last February. Though they'll be pulling me back once season 5 hits.
Shoot me a friend request, my PSN name is the same as the forum (or you can easily find it high in the thread's PSN community as I'm modded there). Then whenever I'm on and not on Netflix/Amazon Video, send me a message or a game invite to join your lobby and I can invite you once we're in the same lobby.

Got my hzd gear tonight. Just realized you can repeat the specific monster hunt quests tonight as well. I had been doing investigations to farm gear.

Anjanath wasn't too bad but I did have a tailrider.
I actually had a easy time with Anjanath during the story mission. Killed it on my first outing simply because not once but twice it got into a turf war with the local Rathalos and got drop on it's head for 750 dmg each time. It was a rather amusing sight. :lol:

Black Rock, no worries about the d/c, we figured that's what happened. Yeah, Bradley's a pretty bright kid, and he's super into the Monster Hunter now, so he's picking up and figuring out a lot of stuff in the game. He's become pretty well versed in gaming for a little kid, he cleared the campaign in Titanfall 2 and platted Skylanders Imaginators last year, and he just finished Super Mario Odyssey on his own a few weeks ago. I'm pretty proud of him, though my wife isn't quite as enthused as me about the amount of time he spends gaming. At least he's still in Little League lol.

Draekon, bringing Bradley into the group would be great. He'd be really happy about being included, and it definitely saves me a lot of invites having to be sent. Thanks!
Thanks for jumping in last night and trying to help me on that hunt. Sorry I carted before we could get the kill. That Bazelgeuse dropping in out of nowhere kept OHKO me.

Gah the first high-rank Anjarath main scenario quest = no thanks.  It can 1 or 2-shot you even in the best available armor to you at this point in the game.  This is the first temporary wall the game has thrown at me so far.  I failed it twice before I had to go to bed last night. 

I'm trying to get to the 7* quests today and complete them for limited weekly rewards before the weekly reset, but I don't think I'm going to make it.  What time is the weekly quest reset?

Gah the first high-rank Anjarath main scenario quest = no thanks. It can 1 or 2-shot you even in the best available armor to you at this point in the game. This is the first temporary wall the game has thrown at me so far. I failed it twice before I had to go to bed last night.
I feel ya, it stomped me the first time I tried it, fire bad! But if you upgrade the armor sets you have now, bone is a good choice, it is a lot easier. You could also send up an SOS flare after the cutscene where you spot him. I got help to down him the first time.

Only his photon cannon is anything to fear. Died to him first time because I ran into a tunnel and it went through walls.

iron_man_photon_cannon_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

I'm trying to get to the 7* quests today and complete them for limited weekly rewards before the weekly reset, but I don't think I'm going to make it. What time is the weekly quest reset?
Not sure the exact time but last week it happened later in the day I believe. Wouldn't sweat it too much honestly though, the rewards from the bounties are a nice bonus but it's nothing all that special.

Solo hunters unite! Er, don't unite. Solo hunters stay apart and work by yourselves!

That... just doesn't have the right ring.
Feel free to join us! Honestly, this is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in a while. The process is just so smooth and streamlined, with the exception of a few hiccups (like the squad leader invite thing.) Everything is laid out well, you join a squad/friend's lobby, then either do your own thing and have others join you if they want to, or look up what others are doing if you want to join them. And if there's nothing going on in the lobby, you can search for SOS flares in other lobbies, or use your own to get help from others. And even when you search for those, you can set specific criteria to find a monster you want.

The only things I would improve is the squad leader invite, and a way to invite someone directly into a quest without first having them join your lobby.

I would change the 2.7x scaling. Should be like 1.9x with 2 people, 2.7x for 3-4.

As someone who solos a lot, I did all the stories solo. I think I got the SOS trophy 70 hours in because I was dualing with a friend. But it's still fun to run into other people's SOSes, especially when you're looking for a specific monster to hunt.

Lol, am I the only one who didn't pick up Monster Hunter?!
I'm waiting for the PC version, so I'm out of the loop, too. This thread has kind of turned into the MH:W discussions thread, though. I'm thinking we might need a new thread for all of this outside of the deals forum. :3

For you people who are still interested in Overwatch:

The Lunar New Years Event has started and will last for 4 weeks (February 8th - March 5th), which is one week longer than normal due to Chunyun since Chinese players complained about not being able to play much last year. Capture the flag is back and it doesn't look like a secondary event type is taking place. However the rules have changed slightly and there is a new CTF only map as well.

Skins, Intros & Emotes

[customspoiler='Event Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOQTRKamqM[/customspoiler]

As per usual here is a link to an item tracker, but it will probably be up to 24 hours for it to be updated with Year of the Dog items.

For those who haven't played recently, there are recent changes to Mercy and Junkrat that can be found here.

Feel free to join us! Honestly, this is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in a while. The process is just so smooth and streamlined, with the exception of a few hiccups (like the squad leader invite thing.) Everything is laid out well, you join a squad/friend's lobby, then either do your own thing and have others join you if they want to, or look up what others are doing if you want to join them. And if there's nothing going on in the lobby, you can search for SOS flares in other lobbies, or use your own to get help from others. And even when you search for those, you can set specific criteria to find a monster you want.

The only things I would improve is the squad leader invite, and a way to invite someone directly into a quest without first having them join your lobby.
I don't play nearly enough multiplayer to make PS+ worth it, so that'd be impossible.

The Lunar New Years Event has started and will last for 4 weeks (February 8th - March 5th), which is one week longer than normal due to Chunyun since Chinese players complained about not being able to play much last year. Capture the flag is back and it doesn't look like a secondary event type is taking place. However the rules have changed slightly and there is a new CTF only map as well.

Skins, Intros & Emotes
[customspoiler='Event Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOQTRKamqM[/customspoiler]

As per usual here is a link to an item tracker, but it will probably be up to 24 hours for it to be updated with Year of the Dog items.

For those who haven't played recently, there are recent changes to Mercy and Junkrat that can be found here. For whatever reason as of this post, the patch notes for today's patch isn't up yet, but here's a leaked screenshot of what it should include.
Those guardian deities skins are all pretty nice. Just might have to play a little bit to get those IF I can pull myself away from MHW.

I'm waiting for the PC version, so I'm out of the loop, too. This thread has kind of turned into the MH:W discussions thread, though. I'm thinking we might need a new thread for all of this outside of the deals forum. :3
Well, BRW tried to move it to the Niche Backlog thread, but it kept migrating back here due to the sheer number of people playing it.

I think I’m doing MHW wrong. I don’t forge 90% of the armor, either because I don’t like the looks or stats. I’m way too picky. Ugh

I'm trying to get to the 7* quests today and complete them for limited weekly rewards before the weekly reset, but I don't think I'm going to make it. What time is the weekly quest reset?
They reset every Friday whenever the login bonus shows up. Usually, afternoon.

I think I’m doing MHW wrong. I don’t forge 90% of the armor, either because I don’t like the looks or stats. I’m way too picky. Ugh
I only forged three armors only. One for LR (set), another for HR (set), and my final one which is a complete mix for endgame.

It looks like Sekai Project told Europeans initially to create a U.S. PSN account, not realizing how shitty the Vita's account system is. This will force them to figure out a solution for all of their future digital PSN releases that aren't restricted by country. At the very least though, by European law, they are required to refund anybody who wants one as they weren't given what they were promised due to the lack of clarity during the Kickstarter and not a failure to deliver through other means. If this was the U.S. though, they'd be completely screwed outside of Sekai Project being nice and offering refunds themselves.

It looks like Sekai Project told Europeans initially to create a U.S. PSN account, not realizing how shitty the Vita's account system is. This will force them to figure out a solution for all of their future digital PSN releases that aren't restricted by country. At the very least though, by European law, they are required to refund anybody who wants one as they weren't given what they were promised due to the lack of clarity during the Kickstarter. If this was the U.S. though, they'd be completely screwed outside of Sekai Project being nice and offering refunds themselves.
I'm no expert, but based on what I've heard about Sekai, something tells me they won't learn a thing from this.

Thanks for jumping in last night and trying to help me on that hunt. Sorry I carted before we could get the kill. That Bazelgeuse dropping in out of nowhere kept OHKO me.
No worries, Bezelgeuse is such a pain at our current level. It still was nowhere near as bad as when I jumped into a Kirin hunt with these European guys. I caused all 3 faints that quest, I'm pretty sure they were cursing me in German after we disbanded.

They reset every Friday whenever the login bonus shows up. Usually, afternoon.

I only forged three armors only. One for LR (set), another for HR (set), and my final one which is a complete mix for endgame.
Would you be willing to share what your HR set and endgame mix are? I am having some trouble deciding what to make.

Would you be willing to share what your HR set and endgame mix are? I am having some trouble deciding what to make.
Your armor is really determined by your weapon choice first and foremost. You can make variation changes for certain types of fights as well as playstyle, but those could also be changed with gems and not the armor itself (the latter to a lesser extent because of set bonuses). So it won't be the same for everyone. Dual Blades for example synergizes really well with the Odogaron set.

For Bazelgeuse, it helps to bring Flash Pods (when it's in the air and/or about to divebomb) and traps. It made things really easy for my group. Only trouble I have so far is with a certain ashy elder dragon.

Your armor is really determined by your weapon choice first and foremost. You can make variation changes for certain types of fights as well as playstyle, but those could also be changed with gems and not the armor itself (the latter to a lesser extent because of set bonuses). So it won't be the same for everyone. Dual Blades for example synergizes really well with the Odogaron set.
I haven't figured out the weapon synergies with different sets yet. I've mainly been trying to match elements with what I'm going to go fight, but I see not many of you guys seem to be doing that.

Do you know which sets go well with sword and shield? That's what I've mainly been using.

For Bazelgeuse, it helps to bring Flash Pods (when it's in the air and/or about to divebomb) and traps. It made things really easy for my group. Only trouble I have so far is with a certain ashy elder dragon.
Can't stress flash pods enough, honestly for any enemy that can fly you should bring 3 pods and 10 flashbugs and use them any time they lift off the ground. Flash pods feel so OP in this game since you can aim them much easier and put crafting shortcuts on the radial menu. I honestly feel kinda bad for them, especially when they try to limp away, there is no escape.

I don't play nearly enough multiplayer to make PS+ worth it, so that'd be impossible.
Unleash your innermost CAG and make a free trial every time you feel like playing online. Takes around 5-7 minutes once you have the process down. Worth it for me, but for less-cheap people it's probably a hassle to do this haha

Steps:

1. Make temp (or permanent) email - I use 10minutemail
  2. Log out on PS4 and make new account tied to that email
  3. Add payment info
  4. Subscribe to PS plus through PSN store on PS4
  5. Disable auto renew
  6. Delete payment info
  7. Log out and sign back in to your main account
  8. ???
  9. Profit

Since the new account is automatically a Primary Account, you can play online through your main PSN account. I don't play online enough to warrant PS plus imo. Sometimes I play online for weeks then stop for months. Ooooorrrr, I'm just a cheapass :whistle2:

Edit: oh, and for the record this isn't for getting ps plus games for free and ps plus discounts and stuff - it's just for playing online on your main account

Unleash your innermost CAG and make a free trial every time you feel like playing online. Takes around 5-7 minutes once you have the process down. Worth it for me, but for less-cheap people it's probably a hassle to do this haha

Steps:

• Make temp (or permanent) email - I use 10minutemail
  • Log out on PS4 and make new account tied to that email
  • Add payment info
  • Subscribe to PS plus through PSN store on PS4
  • Disable auto renew
  • Delete payment info
  • Log out and sign back in to your main account
  • ???
  • Profit
Since the new account is automatically a Primary Account, you can play online through your main PSN account. I don't play online enough to warrant PS plus imo. Sometimes I play online for weeks then stop for months. Ooooorrrr, I'm just a cheapass :whistle2:

Edit: oh, and for the record this isn't for getting ps plus games for free and ps plus discounts and stuff - it's just for playing online on your main account
Sounds like too much trouble.

you could also just gameshare ps plus with a friend, split the cost of a year sub.
$45/50 on sale so $25 for the year each.
Sounds like too much money.

Seriously, thank you for the suggestions, but I barely play any multiplayer even when it's absolutely free and zero effort. I went through seven months worth of free XBL subscription on my 360 and never once played any MP. Any amount of effort or money is too much for the way I play.

I haven't figured out the weapon synergies with different sets yet. I've mainly been trying to match elements with what I'm going to go fight, but I see not many of you guys seem to be doing that.

Do you know which sets go well with sword and shield? That's what I've mainly been using.
My endgame set won't help you since it's the weapon of choice that largely determines what armor/skills you will craft.

SnS has a lot of great options though, but it's core is to act as support for the group. You can continue towards what your doing now and building elemental sets against what monsters are weak too. That isn't bad at all, SnS is great at that. However, it is time consuming. You can also craft a healer build since SnS can use items without withdrawing weapons to support your group. Next, SnS can also build greatly around status effects, especially Paralysis which is very strong.

Once you know what you want to do; just look for armor skills that support that goal. Then use decorations to further enhance it.

Lol, am I the only one who didn't pick up Monster Hunter?!
It may seem like that here but don't worry. Even though I picked it up, my time to play it has been minimal at best and have no idea what everyone else is talking about. To provide a metric I was feeling accomplished because I finally took down the story Great Jagras last night. Why have I not been playing this.... I cannot resist the siren's call known as Peach Beach Splash.

Only his photon cannon is anything to fear. Died to him first time because I ran into a tunnel and it went through walls.

iron_man_photon_cannon_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
All you need is some Cable. And maybe some Sentinel, Storm, and Magneto.

Dat widowmaker black chinese dress tho. (What are those dresses called anyway?) Mercy costume is also pretty nice.

This is why I wish you could change the appearance of armor while keeping the stats like in Diablo 3. I haven't looked into synergies much but I have a feeling the armor that goes best with the bow is going to look silly. Maybe I'll swtich to hammer...

This is why I wish you could change the appearance of armor while keeping the stats like in Diablo 3. I haven't looked into synergies much but I have a feeling the armor that goes best with the bow is going to look silly. Maybe I'll swtich to hammer...

All the best end game set ups are going to look terrible because the best set ups will always be mixed pieces from multiple sets that clash. Thats just the way it is. You either min max, or fashion hunt.

My endgame set won't help you since it's the weapon of choice that largely determines what armor/skills you will craft.

SnS has a lot of great options though, but it's core is to act as support for the group. You can continue towards what your doing now and building elemental sets against what monsters are weak too. That isn't bad at all, SnS is great at that. However, it is time consuming. You can also craft a healer build since SnS can use items without withdrawing weapons to support your group. Next, SnS can also build greatly around status effects, especially Paralysis which is very strong.

Once you know what you want to do; just look for armor skills that support that goal. Then use decorations to further enhance it.
I appreciate the advice. I'll start building towards paralysis then, and use extra parts/funds to fill in the missing elemental affinities. Getting my ass handed to me by Kirin also taught me that I'm probably going to have to make myself a decent elderseal weapon as well.

Yeah lack of a transmog system is by and far my biggest knock against the game, huge oversight considering mixed sets are always going to be the best stat-wise. My current longsword set is just soooo bad, like pretty close to naked save a giant belt. My insect glaive set though actually looks pretty nice since I am wearing boots/chest/gloves from the final boss which covers the majority of your body. Combine that with the dragonking eye patch and Nerg belt and it actually looks nice.

bread's done
Back