Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Is this super lazy, un-animated "Screen Shaking effect for everything" mobile looking game on current gen consoles? And then NiS slaps a $79.99 LE price tag on that, $59.99 for the standard?
Labyrinth of Refrain looks like an upscaled PS2 game.
It would be so perfect on my Vita, been waiting and prayer for it. Yet that is the version that is not localized.

I would be beyond surprised if this goes physical, and I would gladly shelve my recently bought vanilla. But my guess is that like Stranger of Sword City or Valkyrie Drive, the enhanced version would be digital only.

Speaking of Vita DRGPs, really loving Mary Skelter, and it is definitely at DT2 levels of enjoyment for me.

This would get announced a week after I buy it on Vita. I wonder if we will be getting a physical version or have to buy a DLC expansion for the extra stuff.
Fully expect this to be digital only. That said, I think it's fair to call the Switch the Vita's replacement, and it does have a bigger screen, so I'll probably play it there instead. I'm one of those people that really only likes playing TRPGs on handhelds, so this is awesome news for me.

Not seeing any new free junk this week on PSN. The weekly sale is 2K related, so nothing there either.

Also, King of Fighters 2002 is free on PC for the next 48 hours (roughly) on GOG. You can find the free link near the top of the front page.

Fully expect this to be digital only. That said, I think it's fair to call the Switch the Vita's replacement, and it does have a bigger screen, so I'll probably play it there instead. I'm one of those people that really only likes playing TRPGs on handhelds, so this is awesome news for me.
If it does end up being digital only I’ll be keeping my physical copy. I’m not a very big fan of digital only. If for some reason the Switch gets a physical copy instead though I’ll buy that one and sell the Vita version.

I hear you on playing TRPG’s on handhelds. It just feels like the way they should be played for some reason.

Not seeing any new free junk this week on PSN. The weekly sale is 2K related, so nothing there either.

Also, King of Fighters 2002 is free on PC for the next 48 hours (roughly) on GOG. You can find the free link near the top of the front page.
Thanks. Also note that Sega’s annual Make War Not Love promotion starts tomorrow... if you’re in the mood for some free Sega Steam games.

www.makewarnotlove.com

If the Switch had some sort of trophies system and a significantly longer battery life, I'd agree. But I'm still going to get it for the Vita.
Completely agree on the overall ecosystem. PSN isn't perfect, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of Nintendo's. I find the battery life to be very, very comparable between Vita and Switch, though.

I find the battery life to be very, very comparable between Vita and Switch, though.
Really? My Switch lasts maybe 3 hours playing puzzle games. My Vita (even my 1000) lasts 6+.

Edit: I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious if your Switch lasts longer, or your Vita shorter.

I

Really? My Switch lasts maybe 3 hours playing puzzle games. My Vita (even my 1000) lasts 6+.

Edit: I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious if your Switch lasts longer, or your Vita shorter.
Your Switch time is a bit worse than mine, but your Vita time is way better! Maybe I need to leave wifi off and turn my brightness down or something.

We

I use my Switch with the joycons connected, brightness on both are usually low, and WiFi for both are always on.
Well, damn. Maybe my Vita's battery is a bit on the shit side. It is a launch 1,000, but I don't feel that I've used it enough for the battery to be shot.

Puyo Puyo I've got 4 hours on Switch but anything else is much less which sucks. XB2 is maybe 3 hours tops.

There's a humble bundle for Sekai Project games on PC:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/hunie-sekai-bundle

1$ Tier

- Machina of the Planet tree -Planet Ruler-

- RaidersSphere4th

- Sunrider Academy

- KARAKARA

- fault - milestone one

- fault - milestone two side:above

Pay Average Tier (Currently $6.50)

- HuniePop

- HunieCam Studio

- Root Double -Before Crime * After Days-Xtend Edition

- Sunrider: Liberation Day - Captain's Edition

- A Magical High School Girl

- Just Deserts

- ??? Unlocked in 7 days.

$12 Tier

- Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms

- KARAKARA 2

- NEKO-NIN exHeart

- NEKO-NIN exHeart +PLUS Nachi

- NEKO-NIN exHeart +PLUS Saiha

They're not all visual novels either and for whatever reason the two HuniePot games are in there as well. All seem to be rated fairly highly.

The Vita battery is God-Tier. On my last business trip I accidentally left the Vita on sleep mode after I got off the plane and it was probably at 75%. I never played on that Vita until a month later. I hit the button and I realized I never fully shut it down and it still had 20% of its battery left.

Well, damn. Maybe my Vita's battery is a bit on the shit side. It is a launch 1,000, but I don't feel that I've used it enough for the battery to be shot.
If you need a battery replacement for you 1000, check this out.

And here's how you'll take it apart.

I

Your Switch time is a bit worse than mine, but your Vita time is way better! Maybe I need to leave wifi off and turn my brightness down or something.
Yes turning off the blutooth wifi ect and turning down the brightness a little when playing games that don't use it helps a bit for the vita. It may also be time for the battery to be replaced soon.

We

between the stupid update that one month that drained the battery and the 1000 having a high battery failure rate it could be either or that caused it.

The Vita battery is God-Tier. On my last business trip I accidentally left the Vita on sleep mode after I got off the plane and it was probably at 75%. I never played on that Vita until a month later. I hit the button and I realized I never fully shut it down and it still had 20% of its battery left.

On this note squaretrade? through ebay replaced my battery and did a wonderful job. replaced the screws with shiny new ones, polished the screen and everything. I wish I had renewed my warranty with them but sadly I didn't think about it until long after it had expired when my head phones slot failed.

My vita's been charging with a blinking orange light. It might be the cable since it's pretty ragged on the edge. The battery looks full on the top right, but it'll randomly give me a low battery warning even if it's still green, too. Launch model, too.

I would be concerned about rhe delay in Steins;Gate Elite, but I have already platinumed it multiple times on multiple systems, so I can wait a little longer 😜

Hoping Amazon matches School Girl/Zombie Hunter like they did when Gamestop had it for $29.99.  I figure that's the only way I'll get a sealed copy since most Gamestops likely got in one (the gutted display).

I'm thinking Blue Reflection will hit $19.99 at Best Buy soon enough so I could then pick it up for $15.99 after GCU.

Turns out Gamestop didn't cancel my pre-order of the Secret of Mana ps4 game unfortunately. I emailed them to do it weeks ago but never got a response. I hope it's good at least. I don't even want it.

Yeah, I just read my email from them about this. I really hope they aren't letting Rice handle all of their shipping, as that is going to be a cluster fuck on a massive scale. Hopefully they are only handling their own orders, and not the KS ones as well.
IIRC, PQube and Rice Digital usually work together, so hopefully you're right about the KS shipments handled by someone else.

IIRC, PQube and Rice Digital usually work together, so hopefully you're right about the KS shipments handled by someone else.
Yeah, I stopped dealing with Rice years ago, and would rather not have to deal with them again if at all possible. I can already see all the items from my KS order arriving smashed to shit.

Turns out Gamestop didn't cancel my pre-order of the Secret of Mana ps4 game unfortunately. I emailed them to do it weeks ago but never got a response. I hope it's good at least. I don't even want it.
Just return it then. Spend the money on something better.

Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative for PS Vita coming to North America and Europe this summer

So much for the Kickstarter being the only way to have gotten these in physical format. :razz:
Yeah...I was just reading that. I can't tell from the wording, but the e-mail sounds like Rice Digital may even be selling some collector's editions of the game.

"We're also excited to have a partnership with the Rice Digital store, well-known for its collector editions, which will also be retailing a dedicated complete set of the trilogy. The physical releases will be in limited quantities, so if you missed out on the campaign but want to grab a physical copy, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for our next few announcements!"

I'm sure they'll probably be selling some of the CEs since there were most likely a lot of canceled orders, so they got to get rid of them somehow, but hopefully they're not producing more copies of them to be sold normally through Rice Digital.

It would be pretty shitty of them to do that, and hopefully, that's not the case, but something tells me...that's the case. =/

I'm sure they'll probably be selling some of the CEs since there were most likely a lot of canceled orders, so they got to get rid of them somehow, but hopefully they're not producing more copies of them to be sold normally through Rice Digital.

It would be pretty shitty of them to do that, and hopefully, that's not the case, but something tells me...that's the case. =/
Based on the email from them, it does seem that Rice will get inventory of their own separate from KS. Technically, you can't really cancel pledges thru KS, so I doubt they have any of those unless they gave an option at some point due to the delays. But I don't remember them doing that, but it's not like I would have cancelled anyway.

That’s pretty exciting news that the Muv-Luv series will finally be released for Vita after all this time. I backed the Kickstarter like 2 and a half years ago to get physical Vita copies and I’m pretty stocked to be able to play the games. Lets just hope it doesn’t get delayed anymore and actually releases in the Summer.

It is a little disappointing that it’s no longer a kickstarter physical exclusive, but I can’t complain too much since I’m getting a copy and that’s all that matters to me. I do hope they actually keep it pretty limited though.

Also, I really hope they ship out the Kickstarter backers games and extras before they give access to non backers to buy the stuff. Seems like the fair thing to do.

Also, I really hope they ship out the Kickstarter backers games and extras before they give access to non backers to buy the stuff. Seems like the fair thing to do.
This is normally how it's done, but depending on who and what is a part of this, I'm not going to be holding my breath. I could see the public getting it first, and then KS users after the fact. But I guess that all depends on how distribution is handled, so time will tell.

Based on the email from them, it does seem that Rice will get inventory of their own separate from KS. Technically, you can't really cancel pledges thru KS, so I doubt they have any of those unless they gave an option at some point due to the delays. But I don't remember them doing that, but it's not like I would have cancelled anyway.
It's not really a cancellation, as people submitting chargebacks and what not on the purchases. ;P

Also, not worried about the inventory, but the specific version of release, but it's not terribly clear in the email. Hopefully it's a different version.

This is normally how it's done, but depending on who and what is a part of this, I'm not going to be holding my breath. I could see the public getting it first, and then KS users after the fact. But I guess that all depends on how distribution is handled, so time will tell.
Unless you're Comcept. fuck Mighty No. 9.

It's not really a cancellation, as people submitting chargebacks and what not on the purchases. ;P

Also, not worried about the inventory, but the specific version of release, but it's not terribly clear in the email. Hopefully it's a different version.
Yeah, I guess chargebacks are possible, but how many could those really be? I agree that email is fuzzy as can be in regards to details, and the part about Rice having limited qty's could be 10 copies or several hundred. I'm sure many will be asking about details on social media, so hopefully more info comes to light soon.

Hopefully the KS collector's edition will somehow be different from the Rice collector's edition. Would feel like a pretty flippant middle finger otherwise. "Thanks for letting us hold your money for a few years while we sorted our stuff out, but you could've gotten the same thing with less hassle later."

1361 confirmed for PC

734 confirmed Vita

1916 Unknown Platform (Vita or PC)

Plus an unknown amount of people who went on the Backerkit after the conclusion of the Kickstar

I personally don't think Rice Digital can match the CE the Kickstarter offered.

Kickstarter Version is all this:

Christmas-2017-Artworks-Digital
1 Director's Cut Patch
1 Muv-Luv Alternative CODEX (Digital)
1 Muv-Luv Alternative Vita Digital Copy
1 Muv-Luv Photonflowers and Photonmelodies PC Digital Copy
1 Muv-Luv Trilogy Collector's Box (Muv-Luv Japanese Team Printed Signatures on Mini-Shikishi) with physical PS Vita Cartridges, physical+digital Artbook, physical+digital OST and Sumika Figma
1 Muv-Luv Trilogy Digital Bundle PC
1 Muv-Luv Vita Digital Copy
1 Sumika Figma (They gave this to the Early Backers and this goes for around 60 bucks itself)

And shipping was $5. 

bread's done
Back