Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
This news made my day.
Ruined my day because no Vita.

As a Nep fan that plays every entry, it is hard to get excited about Artisans taking over. One, do they even Japan? Two, from the article they annouced their Vita port for their iOS game in 2016 but never came to fruition, so I don't trust them.

Ruined my day because no Vita.

As a Nep fan that plays every entry, it is hard to get excited about Artisans taking over. One, do they even Japan? Two, from the article they annouced their Vita port for their iOS game in 2016 but never came to fruition, so I don't trust them.
I think they know Japan

ZnM0Xf.jpg

Mary Skelter 2 announced for PS4. Comes with Mary Skelter and a dating sim.
Well, now I can't decide if I want to get the Vita version on sale right now.

I've truly grown to hate updated rereleases.

Well, now I can't decide if I want to get the Vita version on sale right now.
I've truly grown to hate updated rereleases.
yea I think since i don't have sketler yet I'll just wait n get the ps4 version. But it does sux when i have a vita game in the backlog that i own that gets an enhanced port for ps4. In those cases i just stick with what i already have.

2 Denpasoft/Sekai releases this week:

Tropical Liquor

Denpasoft 18+ patch

VNDB

Re;Lord 1 ~The witch of Herfort and stuffed animals~ Steam
Re;Lord 1 ~The witch of Herfort and stuffed animals~ Denpasoft (18+)
VNDB (18+)

Tropical Liquor has you playing a main player called a bum and plays like a HuniePop I believe. I'm not convinced by the game play. It shows you what's in a drink and covers them up and you match the pairs. Looks very boring. It released worldwide for $8.99 for now on Steam and a free 18+ patch on Denpasoft.

Re;Lord 1 is a fantasy story VN with gameplay where you play a guy who has his country taken over by three witches. They are turning people into puppets and this guy has the power to stop them. It's a short one, but could be alright. $17.99 for now on Denpasoft 18+ and $8.99 on Steam.

I think Re;Lord 1 might be worth playing, but the other looks like a poor matching game. Not my most anticipated releases but good enough.
Sekai Project doing the work and bringing these instead of the console ports they promised.

Re;Lord 1 is a fantasy story VN with gameplay where you play a guy who has his country taken over by three witches. They are turning people into puppets and this guy has the power to stop them. It's a short one, but could be alright. $17.99 for now on Denpasoft 18+ and $8.99 on Steam.

I think Re;Lord 1 might be worth playing, but the other looks like a poor matching game. Not my most anticipated releases but good enough.
I hope it goes well, picking up the first part of a Trilogy always scares me.

Daylight savings time reminder. Nothing that's particularly interesting this week that isn't a port except maybe Kirby Star Allies. Visual novel wise, you've got the sequel to The Silver Case which was originally a mobile game as well as another Hakuoki Otome VN. Root Double should release this week unless Sekai Project pushes it back again. The next couple weeks should be a bit more eventful than what we've had the past couple.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Re;Lord 1 ~The witch of Herfort and stuffed animals~ (Visual Novel / RPG)
- My Sweet Waifu (Dating Sim)

Weekly Releases (March 11th - March 17th)

Danmaku Unlimited 3
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SHMUP
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on PC & Mobile.

ACA NeoGeo: Aero Fighters 3
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Digital only.

Enchanting Mahjong Match
- Genre: Mahjong Solitaire
- Comments: Digital only. Not real mahjong, just the tile matching type.

Kirby Star Allies
- Genre: Platformer
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Local only.

Splatoon 2 (Starter Edition)
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Just a physical re-release that includes the strategy guide and two sheets of stickers.

Armello (Physical Release)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Strategy / Board Game
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Just a physical release of a previously digital-only game.

Devil May Cry HD Collection
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Contains Devil May Cry 1-3. 60 FPS.

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Sequel to 'The Silver Case' visual novel. Originally released to mobile in Japan in 2005.

Alchemist’s Castle
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Does not focus much on combat.

Gal Gunvolt Burst
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Also known as Mighty Gunvolt Burst on the 3DS.

Maria the Witch
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Previously released on PC. Did not review well.

Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome

Root Double: Before Crime * After Days - Xtend Edition
- Platform(s): Vita
- Comments: Was pushed back to this week. Digital only.

Soulblight
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Top-Down Roguelike / Action RPG
- Comments: Polish dev.

Episicava - Vol. 1

Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins
- Genre: Metroidvania / 2D Shooter

Shards of Eradine
- Genre: RPG / Capture & Collect

Past Releases
March 4th - March 10th
February 25th - March 3rd
February 18th - February 24th
February 11th - February 17th
February 4th - February 10th

So I preordered The 25th Ward: The Silver Case Limited Edition on Amazon when they had it on sale for $29. I went to check the site but I only see the standard edition for order. Anyone ever seen this happen before.
I just got an email that that stated my preorder of this will be delivered on 3/15. Product page is still gone though.

Anyone know what's going on with The 25th Ward limited edition? Been trying to pre order it forever but it's not even on Amazon anymore and BB has been coming soon for months. Did it get cancelled?

It was up for sale around October with an incorrect price. They probably removed it shortly after
The incorrect price was only $2 less than at Best Buy with GCU, though BB has been sold out for a while too. It does seem like very few of these were produced as Amazon, BB and NISA all sold out very quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if more got released though.

The incorrect price was only $2 less than at Best Buy with GCU, though BB has been sold out for a while too. It does seem like very few of these were produced as Amazon, BB and NISA all sold out very quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if more got released though.
Sure. But Amazon completely removed the listing.

Gundam VS: expensive dlcs, annoying target lock system, really bad camera angle when fighting giant mech up close, Bamco nerf suits here and there after every few patch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The 25th Ward:The Silver Case limited edition is back in stock at BB for $32 after GCU. Just ordered one. Good price for the game, art book, and soundtrack. Wish it had a steelbook but oh well

The 25th Ward:The Silver Case limited edition is back in stock at BB for $32 after GCU. Just ordered one. Good price for the game, art book, and soundtrack. Wish it had a steelbook but oh well
Thanks dude, placed an order. I've been dying to grab this even at retail price. GCU makes it all the sweeter

i actually like full costumes of characters rather than just their clothing and looking like a crappy cosplayer.
The only thing that bugs me are the weak stats, I want a vanity option if these costumes have weak stats.

bread's done
Back