Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the internet surprises me with disappointment (as opposed to the times I see it coming). I really thought I'd be able to find the guns from the game photoshopped with Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder's faces.

So, here's this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH26boHgfQw

Honestly the actual weirdest part about the DMC MH stuff is the fact that the weapon is a charge blade. Seems like the shield portion is just magic energy stuff around his arm? Really strange setup.

Instead of DLC they should, I don't know.....maybe fix their game first?

The thing is a giant mess. I regret picking it up on launch. (Damn my weakness for steelbooks and pre-order outfit DLC...)
You should of done what I did.

1. Pick up the game with the steelbook and preorder dlc

2. Return the game and keep the steelbook and preorder dlc

Of course I did this after founding out how bad the game was.

For me, the Switch is exclusives and franchises that are mostly on Nintendo consoles, like Harvest Moon.
Yeah, I agree. I pretty much only get exclusives on the Switch. I like doing achievements so if something is also on a Sony or Microsoft platform, I generally go with that. For Shining Resonance, I ordered it on PS4.

I thought it's laser drills now.
laserdrill.jpg

The Death Star was too obvious.

I'll likely give Cross Channel a third go. I always get bored and get like 2-3 endings. It's so lauded though, but it always kind of tires me into not finishing it past 2 or 3 endings.

Shining Resonance: PS4 or Switch?
Depends if you prefer better performance or a portable experience.

If you prefer nicer graphics and performance then go with the PS4.

If you prefer playing mostly portable then go with Switch PS4 + Vita Remote Play.

Attack on Titan 2 came out today on steam in Japanese. The english release will come out on 3/20 and will patch in the english translation to this release. This is a really interesting way to release it. Aside from the fast localized release, it's pretty cool that we're getting access to the Japanese version of the game on the same day Japan gets it and then it'll basically get the english translation next week.

Wouldn't it be great if we get access to Japanese games on release and then without having to buy it again, it gets an english patch once the translation is done?

Attack on Titan 2 came out today on steam in Japanese. The english release will come out on 3/20 and will patch in the english translation to this release. This is a really interesting way to release it. Aside from the fast localized release, it's pretty cool that we're getting access to the Japanese version of the game on the same day Japan gets it and then it'll basically get the english translation next week.

Wouldn't it be great if we get access to Japanese games on release and then without having to buy it again, it gets an english patch once the translation is done?
My PS4 collection would be a lot smaller if I didn't double-dip on so many titles because I was impatient...

If you prefer playing mostly portable then go with Switch PS4 + Vita Remote Play.
portable ....stream it through your phone and use a DS4 controller to link to your phone to play it.. :whistle2: though... maybe thats just me

Anyone played The Caligula Effect and would recommend it? I'm tempted to pick it up during the current PSN sale but all the reviews for it are so negative.

Anyone played The Caligula Effect and would recommend it? I'm tempted to pick it up during the current PSN sale but all the reviews for it are so negative.
An improved remake with extra content is almost finished development, and if I'm remembering correctly localization has been confirmed, so I'd hold off if I were you.

I feel this is the answer every time when asking which multi-platorm game to get on either the PS4 or Switch. (I am only talking about actually playing Switch and not the Vita as above) I, myself, only get exclusives and, obviously, 1st-party titles on Switch. Otherwise I get all other games on PS4 because of graphics and performance. (I rarely use the Switch as a portable as its docked all the time)

I don't recommend it honestly unless that overhaul overhauls a lot of the mechanics. The battle system is weird and flawed and the story itself isn't too great. I didn't play for more than 5 hours or so, but played enough to be kind of bored. The music is pretty good though as well as the atmosphere.

I don't recommend it honestly unless that overhaul overhauls a lot of the mechanics. The battle system is weird and flawed and the story itself isn't too great. I didn't play for more than 5 hours or so, but played enough to be kind of bored. The music is pretty good though as well as the atmosphere.
Overdose is supposed to refine the battle system. I never played the original, so I have no point of comparison, but they are at least aware that it was problematic for players. Here's a couple articles about it; the second one has a trailer that's supposed to highlight some of the changes, and there's some battle footage in the last third or so if you're curious.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/08/caligula-effect-overdose-shows-off-game-refined/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/23/caligula-effect-overdose-goes-whats-new-unreal-engine-4-remake/

It does look like I may have been mistaken about the western release confirmation, I can't find anything about it, but it's probably still early days for that since it releases in mid-May in Japan.

bread's done
Back