Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:

I normally play games with English voices when I have the choice but I will most likely go with Japanese for this one. The demo felt odd with the characters speaking English considering the setting.

Octopath Traveler Prologue Demo is out on the eShop for the Switch. It will carry over progress to the game when it releases. It's a 1.6GB download and I believe will last about 2-3 hours in length.

I'm kind of tempted to find another doorstop and dust off my Switch to try out the Octopath demo. REALLY wish it was multiplatform though.

Any place I can order the asian english version of Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition for PS4?
Play-Asia has it backordered for $36.99. https://www.play-asia.com/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-greatest-hits-english-japanese/13/708qt1

There's a seller on eBay that has it for $29.99 + $19.99 shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PS4-DMC-4-Devil-May-Cry-4-Special-Edition-Asian-English-Japanese/222852829736?hash=item33e3105228:g:KpUAAOSwLlJa1XiO

Amazon has a 3rd party seller listed at $99.99. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B010ULRCPE/

Did the market skyrocket because of the DmC5 announcement? Tempted to list my copy on Amazon and see if it sells at just under that lowest.

Any place I can order the asian english version of Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition for PS4?
Actually, now that I think about it the Japanese version (which is the one I have) has full english. That one appears more readily available.

$42.40 shipped from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00V4HFTE0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

$38.83 via ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS4-Devil-May-Cry-4-Special-Edition-Official-Japan-Import/153045922428?hash=item23a23f727c

from what i saw of the demo it seemed like it had promise but it's just far away from being shown. Perhaps next E3 it is will be more predominant. They've got a lot to do with the animations.

Play-Asia has it backordered for $36.99. https://www.play-asia.com/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-greatest-hits-english-japanese/13/708qt1

There's a seller on eBay that has it for $29.99 + $19.99 shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PS4-DMC-4-Devil-May-Cry-4-Special-Edition-Asian-English-Japanese/222852829736?hash=item33e3105228:g:KpUAAOSwLlJa1XiO

Amazon has a 3rd party seller listed at $99.99. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B010ULRCPE/

Did the market skyrocket because of the DmC5 announcement? Tempted to list my copy on Amazon and see if it sells at just under that lowest.
I didn't realize that this had occurred. No way this is gonna stay out of stock right?

I normally play games with English voices when I have the choice but I will most likely go with Japanese for this one. The demo felt odd with the characters speaking English considering the setting.

I'm kind of tempted to find another doorstop and dust off my Switch to try out the Octopath demo. REALLY wish it was multiplatform though.
The demo is basically the full game minus some high level ateas.
The demo stops after your save file hit 3 hours. Then it forces you to make a final save to import to the full version. You can still create a new save and restart from the beginning again.
I was excited from playing the 1st demo, and this prologue is way better. Can't wait for full release in July.
Also, the English voice acting is quite good.

^ You have to delete your save to play a new route after your three hours are up though as the demo only allows for one save slot. Not sure if there's a way around it at all as I didn't look much into it. Just thought I'd mention that.

I started with the merchant Tressa and she's kinda interesting. Probably try the Scholar next as I have a bit more affinity with magic classes. Going to try and not play routes I'm interested in much more than an hour since I have to discard previous progress to try new routes after three hours are up.

EDIT: Made one minor correction.

^ You have to delete your save to play a new route though as the demo only allows for one save slot. Not sure if there's a way around it at all as I didn't look much into it. Just thought I'd mention that.

I started with the merchant Tressa and she's kinda interesting. Probably try the Scholar next as I have a bit more affinity with magic classes. Going to try and not play routes I'm interested in much more than an hour since I have to discard previous progress to try new routes.
That’s not right. Once you finish your first charater’s chapter one, you get free roam to go find others. Upon finding a new character, you can “recruit “ them which puts you in their chapter one, as if you had started by picking them.

I was much more impressed with the demo then I expected, since I heard it was by the Saga Frontier team and I hated that game.

I tried out the hunter, biggest issue was no real way to see enemy health, since she captures weakened enemies.

So it resets/suspends your time when you try out another characters first chapter or each character has their own time? Otherwise you're forced to delete the save if you want to try other characters beyond the three hour mark. I haven't had more than an hour of playtime thereabout and can only go from what I've read.

So it resets/suspends your time when you try out another characters first chapter or each character has their own time? Otherwise you're forced to delete the save if you want to try other characters beyond the three hour mark. I haven't had more than an hour of playtime thereabout and can only go from what I've read.
Three hours of total playtime. I believe the chapter ones are unique, in that you can only use the specific character, but you can take anyone you’ve recruited into other chapters. I didn’t try chapter two, because it was recommended level 27.

I didn’t delete the save file, but I think you could delete it, start over fresh with a new three hours. Maybe.

from what i saw of the demo it seemed like it had promise but it's just far away from being shown. Perhaps next E3 it is will be more predominant. They've got a lot to do with the animations.
Yeah, that's always the hardest part for me every E3. I have to remind myself that the stuff I get excited about is usually a year to a year and a half out.

Three hours of total playtime. I believe the chapter ones are unique, in that you can only use the specific character, but you can take anyone you’ve recruited into other chapters. I didn’t try chapter two, because it was recommended level 27.

I didn’t delete the save file, but I think you could delete it, start over fresh with a new three hours. Maybe.
Pretty much what I thought then. Unfortunate, but it will give me something to play here and there until its release. I don't know how much your first character choice makes in the overall scheme of things, if anything, but I'll go with the hope that it does however insignificant.

The more and more I hear about Sekiro, then less interested I become.  I like Souls games for their RPG stat systems, equippable loot, and sidequests and secrets to hunt the unique loot and items.  Apparently this is going to be more of a Tenchu / Ninja Gaiden kind of game.  Which is fine, but it doesn't have the hallmarks of a souls-like game. 

Do Ys games have decent print runs? I'm thinking of picking up Ys VIII but I'm already picking up Mario Tennis and Steamworld Dig 2 this month. It would be nice to wait for a sale on it, but it wouldn't shock me if the game wasn't readily available everywhere.

Yeah it's crazy.  Same with Danganronpa 3. 

Good for NIS though, that's the way a company ought to treat its own franchises.  It makes people feel better about buying the CEs too.  Or picking things up on day1.  Instead of the American way of companies cannibalizing the value of their own IPs through massive price slashing after four weeks. That causes everybody to feel ripped off when they buy games right away, or else it causes them to wait to purchase new games.  Someone finally started paying attention to Nintendo's software model. 

Yeah it's crazy. Same with Danganronpa 3.

Good for NIS though, that's the way a company ought to treat its own franchises. It makes people feel better about buying the CEs too. Or picking things up on day1. Instead of the American way of companies cannibalizing the value of their own IPs through massive price slashing after four weeks. That causes everybody to feel ripped off when they buy games right away, or else it causes them to wait to purchase new games. Someone finally started paying attention to Nintendo's software model.
Whats this guy talking about all of their other games tank so fast.

Code Vein Producer Yusuke Tomizawa Answers Questions About the Game

Athena Asamiya Is Becoming A Virtual Youtuber

athenavtuber.jpg

Don't Worry, Ghost Of Tsushima Isn't As Challenging As Bloodborne

FromSoftware Learning Unreal Engine, Will Return To “Games We’re Known For”

Octopath Traveler Receives Three-Hour Demo, Full Game will be 80-100 Hours Long

Resident Evil 2 Remake Apparently Utilizes Unused Concepts From Resident Evil 1.5

Re: Octopath Traveler

Pretty fun. Pretty much liked everything except:

1. Random battles, especially when mixed with...
2. the maps having a lot of hard-to-see paths that cause you to walk more than you'd like.

Combined, it was starting to annoy me.

Really really really reminds me a lot of Seiken Densetsu 3, which had 6 characters and 3 intertwined storylines.

Looking forward to the full game.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

2. the maps having a lot of hard-to-see paths that cause you to walk more than you'd like.

Yeah, the extreme Depth of Field effect is really annoying when you pair it with the games random encounter rate. The rate is a bit too high and will definitely get on my nerves. Especially with how many little short paths they have to random chests all over the damned place. They're easily the worst things about the game thus far.

Huh, two weeks in a row without PS Blog doing their Weekly Drop posts. Oh and I guess it's Father's Day today. Anyways, I'm not seeing anything that really stands out to me. I'm also not going to be listing the clone-like low effort visual novels that I mentioned last week from here on out either.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- A Light in the Dark (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (June 17th - June 23rd)

Anima: Gate of Memories - The Nameless Chronicles
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: PC release just has a 'June' release date, but listed it this week anyways.

Musynx
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Switch
- Genre: Music / Rhythm

SteamWorld Dig 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: Metroidvania

The Lost Child
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Switch
- Genre: RPG / First-Person Dungeon Crawler

New Gundam Breaker
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action
- Online: Yes?

Anima: Gate of Memories: Arcane Edition
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Contains both Gate of Memories & The Nameless stories.

Destiny's Princess: A War Story, A Love Story
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Lost in Harmony
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Music / Rhythm / Runner

Pode
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: Yes?
- Comments: Has co-op, but not sure if local, online or both.

Mario Tennis Aces
- Genre: Sports / Tennis
- Online: Yes.

Slime-san: Superslime Edition
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Action Platformer / Speed
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Switch & PC.

Arcade Love / ゲーセンラブ。
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / SHMUP / Arcade

HEROES TRIALS
- Genre: Action-Adventure / RPG?

Deep Dark L♂byrinth
- Genre: Visual Novel / Horror / Parody

Valerian Tales
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery
- Comments: Spanish dev?

Let's Split Up
- Genre: Visual Novel

Sudoku Original
- Genre: Puzzle

Past Releases
June 10th - June 16th
June 3rd - June 9th
May 28th - June 2nd
May 20th - May 26th
May 13th - May 19th

Ys VIII hasn't received a price drop and is falling in and out of stock at various places. I finally caved and bought the CE from NISA.
Ys VIII is really annoying. It won't stop being $60.
Hmm ok...I think I'll just go ahead and order the standard switch edition of Ys VIII. Thanks for the input.
The Switch version launches on 6/26. No surprise that it hasn't had a price drop yet. Question is whether there's enough stock across PS4 and Switch to last enough for retailers to drop prices.

I would also add that I think they go a bit far with the old timey talk, reads a bit weird to me at times. Still day one for me though.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience releases June 28th

I saw that get posted on twitter, which is perfect for me since I've been wanting to play it and apparently that's the whole package.
There's already a definitive edition with all the DLC out like the Quiet package, don't think any new DLC has been released since then so it's likely the same edition. Don't remember where I read this, but someone mentioned the significance of this listing isn't that it's a new version, rather that they slapped the Playstation Hits label on it, which the US doesn't have, but places like Europe does. Kinda like those red labeled Greatest Hits versions the PS3 got, which is essentially a reprint of the same version.

nice to have the dmc 5 confirmation. 

Tales of wise I guess no news is good news.  Most people already knew they wouldn't be announcing anything until at least next year since development is about 2-3 years between console gens and we are due for a new engine again after 4 games using xillias graphics engine, monster animations ect.  Whatever the new game is it will be the first ps4/switch/pc and such game developed for those in mind where as zesty and berseria were all developed for the ps3 first and in the formers case it didn't get a ps4 version until after it was localized.

It's a shame people got their hearts set on legendia r over nothing.  I do want a legendia r myself though.  And a sequel taking place in the mainland.  Hell they could throw another sequel for the ferines considering they live in the ocean and our blue is like 90% water.

Has anything been said in regards to 4K/HDR support for Tales of Vesperia on Xbox One X? Can't decide what platform I want to buy it on. If there's no 4K support I'd rather buy it on the Switch.

A character named Nelke in Atelier Firis was translated as Nerke so don't get too comfy with that name. Then again they changed translation companies.

bread's done
Back