Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony Censorship Policy is Forcing Japanese Developers to Censor Themselves Even in Japan

7ea8022c01d8efc4938af4806db591da1fcb40cd-hq.gif

Shame that neither Taiko no Tatsujin have any drum kits to go with them. Also added in Hidden Folks which is a great hidden object game and should also be popular with kids. That's probably the only non-thread related game listed.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Kara no Shojo (Visual Novel / Detective)
- VANILLA - GARDEN OF JUDGEMENT (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (October 28th - November 3rd)

Chronus Arc
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: KEMCO Mobile Port. Cross-Buy. Digital only on PS4. Vita supposedly has physical?

Dream Daddy: Dadrector's Cut
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Visual Novel / Dating Sim / Gay
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Infinite Adventures
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: Digital only.

Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: A compilation of the last two compilations. I think it contains pretty much everything to date?

Paper Dolls
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Survival Horror / Adventure
- Comments: Digital only. Chinese dev.

Psyvariar Delta
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: Vertical SHMUP
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Enhanced version of the original Arcade/PS2 game. Pretty sure it has local two-player modes.

Death Mark
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Switch, XB1
- Genre: Horror / Adventure / Visual Novel

NEKOPARA Vol. 1
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on Switch & PC.

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!
- Genre: Music / Rhythm
- Comments: Digital only. Different song list than the Switch Taiko no Tatsujin game.

Gal Metal
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Music / Rhythm / Visual Novel (?)
- Comments: Has no on-screen button prompts that are typical for rhythm games.

OK K.O.! Let’s Play Heroes
- Genre: Bralwer / Action
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Save me Mr Tako: Tasukete Tako-San
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Action-Platformer

Steven Universe: Save the Light
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Yomawari: The Long Night Collection
- Genre: Survival Horror / Adventure
- Comments: Contains both Yomawari: Night Alone & Yomawari: Midnight Shadows.

Hidden Folks
- Genre: Puzzle / Hidden Object
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Kitty Love -Way to look for love-
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome / Lycanthropy

Transistor
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
- Genre: Music / Rhythm
- Comments: Digital only. Different song list than the PS4 Taiko no Tatsujin game.

Snow Daze: The Music of Winter Special Edition
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Smut

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
- Genre: Horror / Adventure

- Comments: Previously released on PSP.

Nowhere Girl

Bonds
- Genre: Visual Novel / Bondage
- Comments: Surprisingly seems to have no smut.

MarisaLand Legacy
- Genre: Action-Platformer
- Comments: DLSite published.

King of Queendoms

Past Releases
October 21st - October 27th
October 14th - October 20th
October 7th - October 13th
September 30th - October 6th
September 23rd - September 29th

That's so awesome! They just sold me on the game + season pass.

I also love how both guest characters, 2B and Geralt of Rivia both use 2 swords. Wonder if we'll get like Kratos, or Nero with the Red Queen and Yamato next or something.
I think Dante from his DMC5 version would be a great addition. But yeah, 2B definitely sold me on getting SCVI, and I think it did so for a lot of other people too. Good choice for guest character.

As for the recent sony debacle, I'm hoping it bites them in the ass and more games go over the PC and switch. Steam tried clamping down on censoring games earlier in the year and after a lot of backlash, they did a full 180 and now allow 18+ content on the store. I don't think Sony will go that far but they have to be feeling the hit from small publishers leaving the platform.

Btw, there is currently a 30% off coupon at TokyoOtakuMode for all figures. Coupon is DELIGHT72. It makes for a pretty good deal if you get the free shipping.

Not caring and actively taking a shit on them are two different things. Sony has firmly made their stance as the latter.

It's funny; Nintendo has always been my favorite platform, but I still got Sony consoles for things that Nintendo didn't offer. Now that I can get those things on Nintendo, and even as the superior non-watered down versions, Sony just made it all too easy for me to drop them in the future.

All Japanese devs have to go through Sony of America now for content approval, we're going to get a lot more censorship on PS4 and future consoles.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9212646.html

First it was Omega Labyrinth Z, then it was Senran Kagura now it's everything...
The dialogue bit from the devs working on the game.

Visual novel Silverio Trinity coming to PlayStation, hindered by recent Sony regulations

Other titles that have been affected by these regulations include:

• Omega Labyrinth Z (PS4, PS Vita): Banned from release in North America and Europe by SIE. Before that, it was banned from release in the United Kingdom by the Video Standards Council Rating Board.
  • Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party: A PlayStation 4 version of this game was never announced. A PS Vita version was released in 2015 and a Switch version in July 2018. The game’s developer, August, is reported as saying the following in a Summer Comiket-distributed booklet: “We want to release a PS4 version, but SIE’s regulations have gotten strict, so we are looking into a counterplan.”
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal (PS4): Western release delayed to remove the game’s “Intimacy Mode,” which has appeared without issue in previous iterations of the series. The mode remains implemented in the PC version.
  • Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart (PS4) : The PlayStation 4 version conceals various scenes (links NSFW) behind rays of light, including skin, swimwear, and underwear. The Switch version that launched alongside the PlayStation 4 version was released without these regulations. The PS Vita version released in 2017 is also without said edits.
  • Sakura Sakura (PS4, Vita): The PlayStation versions of Sakura Sakura trims scenes that contain sexual content (link NSFW) with black borders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FFVWEQnSM

This censorship stuff is beyond ridiculous. Video games in large part are artistic expression. They are already rated by the ESRB. It's absolutely incredible to think that Sony has no problem releasing movies, dvds, games, and music that contains misogynistic, nude, lewd, ultra violent, graphic, etc content, yet gosh forbid some animated underwear must be censored if it's in a video game. Fan service type stuff is not really my thing, but I absolutely feel that there is a ton of hypocrisy at play here. No laws are being violated in the USA or Japan by the censored content. Sony does not need to by our nanny. I feel bad for the developers and ultimately the gamers who value the types of games being censored. One has to wonder where this will all end. Animated underwear today, what will be banned/censored tomorrow?

The moment when Switch doesn't censor their own JPN games while Sony does, you know something is up with them.

Sony censored swimsuits with overbearing white light while Switch still shows it. :eek:

Not caring and actively taking a shit on them are two different things. Sony has firmly made their stance as the latter.

It's funny; Nintendo has always been my favorite platform, but I still got Sony consoles for things that Nintendo didn't offer. Now that I can get those things on Nintendo, and even as the superior non-watered down versions, Sony just made it all too easy for me to drop them in the future.
Everything costs more on Nintendo (post new release).

They also will never be a bastion in the defense of adult content. We all know that Nintendo censors and makes the decision to drop games more than anyone.

The moment when Switch doesn't censor their own JPN games while Sony does, you know something is is with them
It's simply more jockeying for position. Nintendo is playing from behind and Sony is playing with the lead. Nintendo got all cocky during the Wii era doing similar things and now Sony is playing from the position of being the market leader and making general audience decisions. These things ebb and flow.

Man if Microsoft sneaks in and makes deals with these
niche-game devs, I wonder if there's a possibility that the Xbox could start seeing more exclusives. I mean, the way I see it, this is their opportunity to get that foot in the door. I guess only time will tell... I know that the system isn't that successful in Japan, but this could be a game-changer.

Man if Microsoft sneaks in and makes deals with these
niche-game devs, I wonder if there's a possibility that the Xbox could start seeing more exclusives. I mean, the way I see it, this is their opportunity to get that foot in the door. I guess only time will tell... I know that the system isn't that successful in Japan, but this could be a game-changer.
That would be the funniest heel turn this generation but I doubt they'll ever be desperate enough to trade their reputation from having no exclusives to being The Hentai Machine. Especially when the one sold 90k units in Japan total

Well Sony did move their headquarters from Japan to the US in 2016, I'm sure they're fine with the language part.
It's the devs that have issues with the language, not sony:

Light representative:

“And we have a guy who is in charge of translating everything into English and sending it to Sony, but it’s like, ‘Don’t you guys understand Japanese?’"

Full list of Playstation games for the Playstation Classic Edition.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Full list of Playstation games for the Playstation Classic Edition.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Ah Battle Arena Toshinden

I have fond memories of that one. I remember the weekends with like 10 people at my best friend's house and all us taking turns with winner stays up. And those damn desperation attacks used to piss me the crap off! Ah fun times! This is a pretty decent list of the greats. I played all of them, so I won't grab this... I just have too large of a backlog that I am finally starting to cut a swath through, and I don't want to get slowed down on my momemtum by these games that I played in Jr. High lol.

Yeah, that's a pretty diverse list for sure, and I think it represents the PS1 rather well. For those who are fans and need to have a PS1 representation in their homes, this will fit the bill. I never buy these plug and play devices, but this one seems to have the potential to be better than most. So congrats to those who want one, but I'll for sure be saving my funds on this one.

Sony PlayStation Classic has a few different games in the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ACUOvfDEw

US list

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvR0YJqLExM

JPN list

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Biohazard Director’s Cut (Resident Evil Director’s Cut)
  • Final Fantasy VII International
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash 
  • Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind (Revelations: Persona)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier 
  • Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  • Tekken 3
  • Toshinden (Battle Arena Toshinden)
  • Wild Arms
  • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

Wow, the japanese list is way better. I mean it's still far from great and has a few wasted titles, but the inclusion of Parasite Eve and the Arc the Lad games would make it worth it to me.

It's simply more jockeying for position. Nintendo is playing from behind and Sony is playing with the lead. Nintendo got all cocky during the Wii era doing similar things and now Sony is playing from the position of being the market leader and making general audience decisions. These things ebb and flow.
Nintendo has never intervened on third party content since the ESRB.

Reminds me of GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcF5RyOiQA&index=61&list=PLebTrVJAp3ag0MwZ8oX5wH0UYwpd_7YYG&t=0s
Friendly reminder to any past GT fans that some of the former staff are Easy Allies now. Same silky smooth Brandon Jones voiceover, and even some new restrospectives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGc5nn4wUEY

I'm not cancelling my pre-order for the Playstation Classic. I do think that the list they've posted is reasonably diverse, and definitely has a number of must-have titles on it. I freely admit that there are some glaring omissions. No Suikoden title? No Mega Man Legends? No Symphony of the Night? Parasite Eve for Japan but not for the US? No Silent Hill? No Tony Hawk?

Part of the problem is just how much content is available for the PS1. The system got a LOT of games. They were a little spoiled for choice on which games to choose, but they were also a bit more limited given the sheer average size of PS1 games. (way bigger than 8 and 16-bit games) 20 PS1 games are far more costly than 20 SNES games in terms of storage size. There was never really a chance of stuffing 30+ PS1 titles on a micro system like this, not without increasing the production cost quite a bit. And there are easily 50+ "must-have" titles that you could pick for the PS1.

I am looking forward to seeing what the hacking community is able to do with it. I might get a second unit sometime during 2019 if the hacking potential is there. I've "improved" both my NES Classic and an extra SNES Classic with a list of titles far more in line with my expectations.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order for the Playstation Classic. I do think that the list they've posted is reasonably diverse, and definitely has a number of must-have titles on it. I freely admit that there are some glaring omissions. No Suikoden title? No Mega Man Legends? No Symphony of the Night? Parasite Eve for Japan but not for the US? No Silent Hill? No Tony Hawk?

Part of the problem is just how much content is available for the PS1. The system got a LOT of games. They were a little spoiled for choice on which games to choose, but they were also a bit more limited given the sheer average size of PS1 games. (way bigger than 8 and 16-bit games) 20 PS1 games are far more costly than 20 SNES games in terms of storage size. There was never really a chance of stuffing 30+ PS1 titles on a micro system like this, not without increasing the production cost quite a bit. And there are easily 50+ "must-have" titles that you could pick for the PS1.

I am looking forward to seeing what the hacking community is able to do with it. I might get a second unit sometime during 2019 if the hacking potential is there. I've "improved" both my NES Classic and an extra SNES Classic with a list of titles far more in line with my expectations.
I definitely doubt adding memory would cost much at all. Not unless they plan on buying psvita cards to put in it :lol: I can get an sd card with 65gb or something around there for under 10 bucks. hell i have a 200 something one i got online for about five bucks not counting shipping and tax.

Friendly reminder to any past GT fans that some of the former staff are Easy Allies now. Same silky smooth Brandon Jones voiceover, and even some new restrospectives:
I really like Easy Allies. Their reaction/discussion videos for big conferences and announcements are always entertaining. What I like most about them is that they all genuinely know the games they're presenting. It's not just some dude in a studio apartment screaming at the top of his lungs.

I definitely doubt adding memory would cost much at all.
Every extra bit adds up when you're talking about a physical product. And every extra bit takes a bite out of the markup for the product. When designing a product like this, you have to shave down those costs as much as possible to make the device as profitable as possible. It's true that memory isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be. But it's also not free. Nintendo had it easy with their classic systems. Even the biggest SNES titles didn't take up much more than a handful of megabytes each. The storage they had to build into those classic systems didn't even have to be measured in gigs. Final Fantasy VII takes up a gig by itself, and that's in a semi-compressed state. A 1-to-1 rip of the original discs for Final Fantasy VII would weigh in around 2 gigs.

There's a reason Sony is charging more for this thing, and its not just the licensing. A PlayStation classic is just inherently going to be more expensive to produce, and the memory is part of it. It's only one part, granted, and not the largest difference. The most expensive difference in production will be the sheer processing power needed for PlayStation emulation, which is quite a bit greater than what would be needed for SNES emulation.

The list for the PS Classic isn't too exciting. I'll still hold on to my pre-order, but I'll leave it sealed when I get it. Depending on how easy it is to hack will determine if I'll keep it or not.

There's a reason Sony is charging more for this thing, and its not just the licensing. A PlayStation classic is just inherently going to be more expensive to produce, and the memory is part of it. It's only one part, granted, and not the largest difference. The most expensive difference in production will be the sheer processing power needed for PlayStation emulation, which is quite a bit greater than what would be needed for SNES emulation.
There may be a big difference in required processing power, but it's basically nothing with today's tech. Literally an iMac from 1998 ran PS1 games at full speed (more of a stunt, but made the news "virtual game station" I believe it was called). It's like a billionaire saying he won't buy a $60k Corvette because it cost too much.

Also, Sony kinda failed by not including some of their own high profile first party games (again, only going by memory, Ape Escape, Parappa, Legend of the Dragoon). If saving on licensing was even an issue, you would have seen more first party games.

There may be a big difference in required processing power, but it's basically nothing with today's tech. Literally an iMac from 1998 ran PS1 games at full speed (more of a stunt, but made the news "virtual game station" I believe it was called). It's like a billionaire saying he won't buy a $60k Corvette because it cost too much.

Also, Sony kinda failed by not including some of their own high profile first party games (again, only going by memory, Ape Escape, Parappa, Legend of the Dragoon). If saving on licensing was even an issue, you would have seen more first party games.
Basically nothing that can run 32 bit games without a hitch still costs more than basically nothing that can run 16 bit games.

Weekly free PSN junk:

MY HERO ONE'S JUSTICE

PS4

- Playable Character: Deku Shoot Style

Resonance of Fate 4K/HD Edition

PS4

- Theme

Sale of the Dead

Not sure if Sale of the Dead is a "Week 2" sale where stuff has changed or not due to the dumb new way they show sales on the web store. So I guess I'll put up thread related multi-week sales every week regardless if they change or not.

Basically nothing that can run 32 bit games without a hitch still costs more than basically nothing that can run 16 bit games.
Or it can cost exactly the same since it would be the exact same hardware. The NES classic machine is powerful enough to run an N64 emulator. I meant it when I said the difference is basically nothing as nothing additional is required to run. Heck, the NES classic has enough horse power to run any playstation 1 game.

It's more then a proof of concept idea, the Cortex A7 chip which powers the NES classic has been running N64 emulation since 2016. FYI, the internals of the NES and SNES classic are basically identical as well, that's why some people have mod their units to run both systems (though I recommend modding a SNES classic and not a NES classic because of the controllers).

bread's done
Back