Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody order from play asia lately? getting worried some of my orders are a little too late, expecting psykio vol 1 already since it shipped at release
I order a lot of their exclusives and my experience has been once they send a shipping email, it takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get to me.

My order for RXN -RAIJIN- [LIMITED EDITION] recently shipped 3 days ago and the tracking shows "The item is pre-advised" with the latest update as of today. Shipping method is PostNL ePac.

Looking at my orders, I haven't purchased much from them. Last order was from 4 years ago and was a digital code, which I recall had some issues. Last physical item I ordered was from 10 years ago, soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus.
yeah well i got the regular edition, curious why the shipment got delayed because they had to wait for stickers, but mine was delayed about 2 weeks

While we're on the subject, if a package has entered the US 5 weeks ago and hasn't moved since, is it safe to say the package is lost?
depends where it says, may be stuck in customs, depending on how it was packaged or shipped, my experience that if its not ups, fedex, or dhl either the tracking isnt compatible or they forgot to scan, some tracking used isnt compatible with some usps scanners, i've had them never show up, only show when its delivered. also its already the holiday season for shipping so depending on where ur at could take a little longer. i would suggest if its important to just pay up next time for the air shipping or what not to have a better chance to get it

anybody order from play asia lately? getting worried some of my orders are a little too late, expecting psykio vol 1 already since it shipped at release
Got mine last week. You should be good. Stuff from overseas sometimes gets held up for awhile in customs.

Wat. That was unexpected. I do hope they go back to the time limits, even if they're not that demanding. Just not as bad as Atelier Firis where the pacing was absolutely horrendous.

I'm sure some people will be excited for this, but I'm a bit disappointed since it's not a game I'm interested in.

Not the most exciting Level 5 announcement. I hope Inazuma Eleven...the newest one in development does get localized someday.

yeah well i got the regular edition, curious why the shipment got delayed because they had to wait for stickers, but mine was delayed about 2 weeks

depends where it says, may be stuck in customs, depending on how it was packaged or shipped, my experience that if its not ups, fedex, or dhl either the tracking isnt compatible or they forgot to scan, some tracking used isnt compatible with some usps scanners, i've had them never show up, only show when its delivered. also its already the holiday season for shipping so depending on where ur at could take a little longer. i would suggest if its important to just pay up next time for the air shipping or what not to have a better chance to get it
This honestly may be the last time I order from Heavy-Arm as I have never once received a package from them that didn't take at least a month to get to me. Though it's never really their fault, I only have problems ordering from them.

Atelier Lulula: The Alchemist of Arland 4 announced for PS4/Switch

tumblr_n6d90gzx1g1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

Thanks! Picked up Raiden and TTG. Wanted to grab Langrisser as well, but don't know if I would ever play it.
The Langrisser 3DS game is probably the worst thing on the platform, just horrible and a stain on the series legacy.

If you're curious about the series, I reccomend you wait for the Switch remakes.

It's kind of sad, but I have wanted a Mana Khemia sequel forever. I doubt that will ever happen. The games are just alright and good fun in a school setting.

Also Our World is Ended (doesn't sound like good English) look OK at best, but I support most VNs. Course one of my fave Youtubers Otaku Overdrive has a review of it. I recommend watching it before purchasing.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416ZvfpT4vw[/media]

To the guy asking about Warriors Orochi 4.

I've loved all of them but this new magic system is dumb. They start you off Tadakatsu Honda who is ridiculously OP in my opinion. For some reason I've kept playing the game and I think I've died twice playing on Hard Mode and the occasional Pandemonium when Hundun appears.

I know they're all a big button mashing grind fest, which I happen to like, but the after math where you build up your characters feels boring.

If anyone wants it for $40 shipped with decent trade feedback, drop me a PM.

That does not sound complete.
Yeah, I'm also calling bullshit on NISAs end that it couldn't be implemented. Steam has a Workshop system that allows developers to tie games into to create and post shit like this (As well as the other 'missing online features'). They just didn't want to be bothered to actually create some new code for a PC port, which they've shown time and time again with their PC ports. Not to mention they didn't even have the decency to mention that this stuff was missing before release.

In case of anyone wondering about PSN name changes in the beta. TLDR; So far, I have no issues.  :D
I still have leaderboard data on three old PS3 games and one vita game, got a platinum from an unfinished PS3 game, two trophies from a vita game with online, cloud saves are fine, no missing purchased content or licenses noticed, and the three PS4 games I played have no issues. One of those PS4 games which I tested has PS3/Vita save transferring and that went smoothly. Another one of those games was a purely 'online only' game and it still retained everything (stats, progress, etc).

It's become the main focus of the beta forums (NA + EU) to actually find games that are incompatible with name changes because no one can find any atm.

"The protagonist is Elmeluria Frixell, the daughter of Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland protagonist Rorona."

OK, WHO'S THE FATHER?! :whee:
1) Some new random guy that may or may not get a name and likely won't get a serious mention in the new game.

2) Sterk.

3) She's an advanced homunculus created through Alchemy.

4) Adopted an orphan who she found that has strong ties to Alchemy.

5) Lesbians making babies is now canon.

I'd wager #4 is the most likely.

While the Play Asia listing from a while back turned out to be a bust, at least this happening
DqSb4W1XcAEl8js.jpg

1) Some new random guy that may or may not get a name and likely won't get a serious mention in the new game.
2) Sterk.

4 is far and away the most likely based on the information that's coming out and GUST's inability to commit to pairings. Not to mention how mad the waifucreeps would get if she had a canon love interest. And new MC's childhood friend works in an orphanage.

4 is far and away the most likely based on the information that's coming out and GUST's inability to commit to pairings. Not to mention how mad the waifucreeps would get if she had a canon love interest. And new MC's childhood friend works in an orphanage.

2) Sterk.

Yeah, #4 makes a lot of sense now that you guys mention it.

Yeah, I'm also calling bullshit on NISAs end that it couldn't be implemented. Steam has a Workshop system that allows developers to tie games into to create and post shit like this (As well as the other 'missing online features'). They just didn't want to be bothered to actually create some new code for a PC port, which they've shown time and time again with their PC ports. Not to mention they didn't even have the decency to mention that this stuff was missing before release.
Yup. Their blog post confirming they removed that content (and had planned to remove it from the beginning) didn't go up until many hours after the game released. And their suggestion for people not happy? Request a refund through Steam if you have less than 2 hours played. Doesn't really help the people who pre-ordered or bought it when it unlocked and already put more than 2 hours in though.

Glad I didn't pre-order this one. I don't think I'll bother with NISA PC ports in the future until I'm sure they're decent and there are no surprises like this.

What happened with that?
1) Bugs.

2) They removed the English vocals. The English songs are great by the way and a big reason why the game is so great.

3) Bugs.

4) The reason they removed the English voice was because they were supposed to localize two extra chapters from the PS2 Japanese version we never got. The chapters were included in review copies, but never made it to the actual retail copies. Wat. (The chapters are of course in the Japanese version)

5) Bugs.

In the end I like NIS, but man do I come to hate NISA more and more. I don't understand why there are so many people who worship them so readily. They can't port worth a damn and they never fix their shit nor give proper responses to just about anything or bother to communicate prior to release on so many levels.

1) Bugs.
2) They removed the vocal songs. The songs are great by the way and a big reason why the game is so great.
3) Bugs.
4) The reason they removed the vocal songs was because they were supposed to add in two extra chapters from the PS2 Japanese version we never got. The chapters were included in review copies, but never made it to the actual retail copies. Wat. (The chapters are of course in the Japanese version)
5) Bugs.

In the end I like NIS, but man do I come to hate NISA more and more. I don't understand why there are so many people who worship them so readily. They can't port worth a damn and they never fix their shit nor give proper responses to just about anything or bother to communicate prior to release on so many levels.
I've never really liked NISA. I bought a few NIS games before NISA existed, and I feel like the quality of localization went down pretty sharply after NISA was formed. Granted, their marketing team is pretty pro-collector otaku, with all the random extras and nice packaging, but the programming and translation sides just never struck me as very competent. I'd rather they spend less on random stuff and more on delivering quality core products.

Also really glad I never went in on the DS Rhapsody now, and glad I grabbed the original.

Yea, I like them (ish), but I haven't even forgiven them for Witch and the Hundred Knight, with a bug that doesn't let you finish the game. Then they had the gall to release it on PS4, without ever patching the original. Then a sequel.

Oh, and Ar Tonelico.

Actually, thinking about it, they fubar up a lot.

Looks gorgeous. They're puttin' that blue reflection engine to work.

Looks like there won't be any time limits again.

This is sad. I got it for relatively cheap and I wasn't going to use those features so I don't really mind. But what kinda company just says we've disappointed you again, go get a refund if you're still in the window. Like they don't even care if they lose the sales.

I'm coming up on a 100 hours in DQ11 and just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed my time with it.  It scratches that jrpg itch just right regardless of the pacing and backtracking issues.  I'd say that it's actually the perfect length of a JRPG.  It can be 60-80 hours and you can stop when you want or else you can keep going and tidy up all the sidequest stuff.  There's plenty of gameplay.  I always get worried when I hear a new rpg is "roughly 50 or 60 hours" but DQ11 is so much more than that.  This is exactly the kind of relaxing, exploration-based, modern, full-fledged jrpg that I have been craving during the last couple of years.  Crafting and collecting the best equipment is one of my favorite aspects.  I love the appearance changing costumes.  Some people will get irritated with the extra text screens and confirmations, but all the nostalgic DQ elements and sounds are awesome.  I appreciate the graphics and the high production values in spite of everyone being cross-eyed :p  Awesome game; best TV console JRPG in awhile even if it's not perfect.  It's a solid 9.25/10. 

I appreciate the graphics and the high production values in spite of everyone being cross-eyed
Glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by this - worst offenders seem to be my dog and my wife.

But yes it's a great game, I couldn't put it down until I completely finished NG+, which isn't really NG+ but an alternate ending with lots of new content. File is at 110hrs and 81% trophies. Great experience, worth every penny.

I'm on to Valkyria Chonicles 4 now and that's another great recent jrpg release. Is better than I was expecting.

1) Bugs.

2) They removed the English vocals. The English songs are great by the way and a big reason why the game is so great.

3) Bugs.

4) The reason they removed the English voice was because they were supposed to localize two extra chapters from the PS2 Japanese version we never got. The chapters were included in review copies, but never made it to the actual retail copies. Wat. (The chapters are of course in the Japanese version)

5) Bugs.

Wow, that's crazy. I still have it in my backlog, but I guess now if I ever got around to it I'd stick to the PS1 version

The Atelier Arland collection went up on Steam and it shows full English audio, so Atelier dubs might not be completely dead.

That's a pretty fast release window. I was afraid we would skip a year of mainline atelier with Nelke coming out next year as well.

Between Nelke, Online, Arland DX, and Lulua, it really is the best time to be a gust fan.

For anyone that's looking for the best price for My Hero One's Justice on PC that comes out on tomorrow, here's what I found.

GMG -$53.99 - SAVE5 coupon = $51.29

Fanatical - $52.79 - SCREAM666 coupon = $49.27 (Fanatical price ends in 6 hours.)

That's exactly the same thing as the Premuim Box released in Japan.

THcNylL.jpg

Alright they swapped out an A4 metal poster for an acrylic stand but that's pretty much the same thing.

bread's done
Back