Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is leaving Early Access on Steam and officially releasing on March 27th. When it officially launches it'll be priced at $19.99, but until March 12th it'll be on sale for $10.39. Just mentioning it in case anyone was interested in grabbing it before it goes up in price.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203630/Record_of_Lodoss_WarDeedlit_in_Wonder_Labyrinth/
Hopefully it gets a physical release later on since I love record of lodoss war

I was actually tempted to buy it even though I've never imported anything before, but guess I will just go digital instead. Not all that surprising I guess given Switch is way more popular than PS4 these days for these more limited physical releases. But I prefer playing on PS5 myself.

You are missing out. So many good games are digital only or limited physical. Almost every VN I play is digital. Just the way it is.
I appreciate this sentiment, but this is a hard-line for me. As I've said in other posts, I'm fully aware the future of video games is digital, and that physical discs will *eventually* become the super exception Until then, I'm glad publishers like 505, LRG, and iam8bit are around to continue to bring the games the "big boys" don't want to publish to physical form. That said, as physical releases further wane, prices are rising, too, since there are fewer manufacturers, resulting in less production and rising costs per production.

My line in the sand has always been that when video games go almost entirely digital - meaning the majority of games I want I can no longer buy in complete physical format - then I'm done. This still looks to be at least this generation away, but I do think we'll see a lot of publishers abandoning traditional retail as the years go on.

Hey, like everything in life, time marches forward and things change. I think folks like me all the know it's coming; but until then, still enjoying the ride!

I understand your position, sort of, but when a digital title is like $2 and it's worth much more than that, I don't see a problem with digital.

I'll almost never buy a digital game full price though.

My line in the sand has always been that when video games go almost entirely digital - meaning the majority of games I want I can no longer buy in complete physical format - then I'm done.
I was talking to my oldest son about gaming last night. He mentioned Gamepass possibly going to other platforms as a condition for the next Elder Scrolls game. We talked in detail about how that would even work. Would it just be a gamepass with native compiled games for each platform... or would they throw xbox exclusives on there and require them be played through the cloud? Whatever the case, I'm not down with either one. I will not pay a monthly fee for videogames (which sounds like what might happen with the next elder scrolls). I also will not buy a current console that has no option for physical release games. I couldn't cloud game even if I wanted to. Thankfully with a competitive market, it's unlikely anyone of the big 3 will burn out a large portion of their base by going digital only on console game releases.

Even the streaming video companies put a lot of their shows out on DVD (and some on BR) because they are still very common to find in homes and they know there's a market for physical media (for both the fans and those who can't or won't stream video). It's not like PC's where there's no universal cheap storage option to sell games on that the majority of PC's can use. Most PC's with disc drives only have DVD drives... and games have gotten too big for that. Heck they are often too big to make even jumpdrives a cost effective option. Then there's DVD drives even disappearing from new pc's...so the market to release games too has shrank which is why only a few games make that leap to physical and for many of them it's hidden objects and other casual games.

So... I think we are safe for a while. It'll take all three companies deciding to go digital only for it to even have a chance. If just one of them does it, a large portion of their base will revolt and go to the competition. I could only imagine that happening if the market shrinks so much that they know they wouldn't be able to get enough retail space. But at that point, going all digital would probably kill their business.

I was talking to my oldest son about gaming last night. He mentioned Gamepass possibly going to other platforms as a condition for the next Elder Scrolls game. We talked in detail about how that would even work. Would it just be a gamepass with native compiled games for each platform... or would they throw xbox exclusives on there and require them be played through the cloud? Whatever the case, I'm not down with either one. I will not pay a monthly fee for videogames (which sounds like what might happen with the next elder scrolls). I also will not buy a current console that has no option for physical release games. I couldn't cloud game even if I wanted to. Thankfully with a competitive market, it's unlikely anyone of the big 3 will burn out a large portion of their base by going digital only on console game releases.

Even the streaming video companies put a lot of their shows out on DVD (and some on BR) because they are still very common to find in homes and they know there's a market for physical media (for both the fans and those who can't or won't stream video). It's not like PC's where there's no universal cheap storage option to sell games on that the majority of PC's can use. Most PC's with disc drives only have DVD drives... and games have gotten too big for that. Heck they are often too big to make even jumpdrives a cost effective option. Then there's DVD drives even disappearing from new pc's...so the market to release games too has shrank which is why only a few games make that leap to physical and for many of them it's hidden objects and other casual games.

So... I think we are safe for a while. It'll take all three companies deciding to go digital only for it to even have a chance. If just one of them does it, a large portion of their base will revolt and go to the competition. I could only imagine that happening if the market shrinks so much that they know they wouldn't be able to get enough retail space. But at that point, going all digital would probably kill their business.
I agree with you that we're safe for at least the next few years. Sales of physical media are, as expected, declining at a significant pace year-to-year. While not a perfect analog, you may want to check out theDigitalBits.com; it's a blog run by Bill Hunt, a movie industry vet. He periodically writes about the state of physical media and shares sales numbers and perspectives from across the various media outlets. Most of us knew the tides towards streaming were building, but it seems evident now that Covid-19 hastened the pace, and with the big media companies going all-in on streaming, it's certain physical media is going to become even more niche, and may be faster than some might think.

One thing to keep an eye on is the number of disc manufacturers out there. Most people aren't aware that pretty much all of them have gone bankrupt or have closed down, save for I think ~3-4 manufacturers. It's why you're seeing difficulties and delays in restocking films and games once stores sell out. It's also a driving force in why publishers - movies or games - are not reprinting because marginal costs for production are rising.

I don't know what the premium ceiling is for physical media, but we'll find out as prices will surely rise when more and more publishers decide that the market isn't worth the time or trouble, and volume production continues its decline.

The effects will come slowly, as they always do, but I won't be surprised when the earlier rumors that Disney will stop publishing discs (which the company denied last year) turn out to actually happen for real in a year or two. It already looks like Disney is quietly stopping most reprints of their newly acquired Fox catalog.

Physical media isn't going away, but it's clear the big retailers have already seen the writing on the wall. Best Buy's recent decision last year to send most of all of its movies into the warehouse and remove/slim down their media aisles was a long time coming. I suspect Walmart will do the same very soon.

Video game aisles have slimmed as well, and as console makers push for more and more digital sales (which apparently already are now over half of total sales), I don't see any reason why retailers won't reduce those areas down even further. I can't imagine retailers are terribly happy to see Sony and Microsoft selling their consoles through their own websites this generation.

Consumers have already indicated they're fine giving up "ownership rights" to buy digital games and stream games/movies online. Publishers, of course, want this because it maximizes revenue by cutting out retail costs and other middle-men while eliminating the consumers' ability to resell. In all, digital is better for the corporate bottom-line.

So the march towards a full digital marketplace (or as close to it as reasonably possible) will be inevitable. In the interim, I try to support full disc/cartridge game releases, and buy movies or games I'm interested in from those small-mid publishers who are willing to keep the fading industry alive.

I suppose one silver lining to all this is that to expand and go more digital means having the infrastructure to do it. It means media companies and broadband companies have a strong fiscal incentive to invest and improve the ailing systems across the U.S. and other parts of the world. In other words, you may finally see all that investment into the infrastructure that many have talked about slowing down the transition.

According to VideoGamePlus Ninja Gaiden Master Collection will only get Switch Asian release, nothing for PS4/Xbox

Is currently playing a tall liar ronald mcdonald plus (atelier rorona) man it certainly shows its age.  I definitely miss the modern amenities like text auto advancing vs having to hit the button every time they finish speaking.  It also seems like there's a tiny bit of lag between text popping up and the voice work following. Only about 3-5 mississippi's give or take. 

Now that we've finally moved on to a new gen, it's amazing looking back at all the niche JP games to collect on previous systems.   I'm looking through and making a list of stuff that I need to own for my collection and deciding which PS4 and Swtich titles to scoop up.  Just look at what the Dragon Quest (VII, VIII, IV, V) are going for on DS now holy cow. 

Glad that I bought those and Etrian Odyssey titles when I did.  This old stuff is quickly becoming 'not cheap'.  This has been a nice lull and respite from new releases though.  I think I'm going to buy the DQ 1-3 Switch collection, Crosscode (PS4) CE, Final Fantasy twin-pack collection, and I am Setsuna this month.  There is so much past stuff to buy and check off the list...

Biggest mistake was not buying multiple sets of Trails of Cold Steel.   Those ToCS CE's are going to have massive trade value in the coming years. 

Past limited releases (at a good value) are really starting to dry up right now. 

Now that we've finally moved on to a new gen, it's amazing looking back at all the niche JP games to collect on previous systems. I'm looking through and making a list of stuff that I need to own for my collection and deciding which PS4 and Swtich titles to scoop up. Just look at what the Dragon Quest (VII, VIII, IV, V) are going for on DS now holy cow.
tfw i have all the ds dragon quest games. feels good man

tfw i have all the ds dragon quest games. feels good man
Ditto. In fact, I was able to acquire several of them on clearance from Target. (back when Target actually had decent clearance prices, ahh, those were the days) I was able to pick up most of them in the sub $15 range, brand-new. I still remember being able to get a copy of Dragon Quest IX for just $10, mint in packaging. Those were good times, between console generations when everyone was ditching the previous generation for the newer titles, and prices on the older games plummeted. Here's hoping we see similar reactions to the PS5-XBox switchover, but the current circumstances are likely going to delay any such reaction.

The thing is with the changing to PS5/XSX we actually get less production for the niche physical copies, so it is less likely now. I would love it though. DQ IX had a heck of a lot of copies though for sure.

It will vary depending on the game.  The one major difference being that ps4 games either get free upgrades or are bc so that gives less incentives to dump them for many people compared to previous generations. 

So this is kinda out of left field, but for those who’ve played it, what’s your favorite iteration/clone of soukoban? If you aren’t familiar with it under that title (it’s gone under several different titles in the west), it’s that super old school puzzle game where you’re pushing boxes to predetermined goal points. Used to play it on Game Boy when I was really young and I’ve been in the mood to play again. Retro or modern doesn’t matter.

FakeFrailEsok-size_restricted.gif

So this is kinda out of left field, but for those who’ve played it, what’s your favorite iteration/clone of soukoban? If you aren’t familiar with it under that title (it’s gone under several different titles in the west), it’s that super old school puzzle game where you’re pushing boxes to predetermined goal points. Used to play it on Game Boy when I was really young and I’ve been in the mood to play again. Retro or modern doesn’t matter.

Oh man I used to play the Gameboy version to death when I was a kid.

So this is kinda out of left field, but for those who’ve played it, what’s your favorite iteration/clone of soukoban?
I really enjoyed "Mad Age & This Guy" on switch. It's a combo of top down view sukoban and classic bomberman. Shame it got delisted. It's not perfect but it did enough new that I played every single level of it. If you haven't played this you may think that because of the bombs it makes things too easy, but that wouldn't be the case. The puzzle element is strong with trapping enemies and making paths through areas.

Second to that, "Fire 'n Ice" (aka Solomon's Key 2) on NES (also on Nintendo Online's NES app). It's side view sukoban with gravity but unlike Solomon's Key.. it's less action and more pure puzzle solving.

Then there's stuff like the Toki Tori and Adventures of Lolo series. Both have strong sukoban roots. I'm also a fan of the old Chip's Challenge series.

It will vary depending on the game. The one major difference being that ps4 games either get free upgrades or are bc so that gives less incentives to dump them for many people compared to previous generations.
This is very true. BC is going to help keep demand up for PS4 games, especially this early in the generation, when the number of PS5 games is still slim. Just in general it will likely reduce the effect, as people won't feel the need to sell their games along with their older system. Sell your old PS4, but keep the games you like the most.

The effect seems to be most pronounced for systems that didn't sell particularly well. We definitely saw it with the Wii U. Prices on that sucker drove off a cliff. If you're looking to stack up a Wii U collection, now's the time. Those games can be had for a song. I saw the same effect with the Dreamcast and Gamecube. There was a window where those systems could be bought for $25 per unit, and the games were no more than about $10 - $15 each.

For larger, more successful systems it takes longer for their prices to go down. The PS2 maintained its second-hand value long after the PS3 was out. The same for the XBox 360. The PS4 and XBox One were both solid sellers with extensive libraries. The prices likely won't drop off immediately. The current state of the physical retail space will only complicate matters further.

The ps2 benefitted from the ps3 being a dumpster fire at launch and devs still supporting the ps2 years in. Especially Atlus stuff like persona 3 and persona 4.

I think I played that on a Texas Instruments calculator.
Edit: Might have been something else.

I HIGHLY recommend Power Soukoban on Super Famicom:

power-soukoban.jpg

It was one of the last few games published by Nintendo for Super Famicom and features a story revolving around Japanese Yokai, a fantastic soundtrack, and Zelda-esque graphics!
The game-play is primarily inspired by Soukoban but there are also hidden items to collect and the main character has a fireball attack that is used to fight enemies & boss battles!

I picked it up a CIB copy/played it back when I lived in Japan (2005-2010) but it looks like a fan-translation was just released back in 2019 in case anyone wants to play it in English (I will probably replay it myself!).

Here's a full-game play-through on YouTube if anyone wants to check out the game-play/graphics/soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4KdUZE4yoA

Late to the discussion, but I just wanted to sprinkle a bit of optimism and say I don't think physical media will completely go away. Even if the next generation of video game consoles ends up being completely digital or 4K discs end up being the last generation of movie media, there will still be boutique companies out there licensing games or movies on disc. LRG is one for games and for films we got Vinegar Syndrome for exploitation and grindhouse films, Mondo, Criterion and Arrow and Indicator/Powerhouse in the UK. A move toward digital may even give rise to more niche companies like them. I wouldn't even put it past Sony or Microsoft to sell digital only consoles with external disc drives sold separately or sold through 3rd parties.

The only thing I am not sure about Ninja Gaiden is the Japanese/Asian version might have less blood and gore compare to US digital version

Just a note for everyone Saviors of Sapphire Wings/ Stranger of Sword City Revisited Nintendo Switch physical copy is sold out many places (Amazon, Gamestop, BB store only). Didn't see it on Target.com, and it's available only for shipping on Walmart.com. I was going to wait, but I'll just get it now. Also I like that Stranger of Sword City has more features than the Vita version. This is similar to what happened for Langrisser 1 & 2 for Switch (got 1 reprint I believe) and Ys IX Monstrom Nox. NISA is just not producing many physical copies nowadays it seems. I have Poison Control and that World whatever game pre-ordered for now.

Walmart

In addition to the regular Stranger of Sword City, the updated Stranger of Sword City Revisited was also released on Vita, although digital only I believe. Do you know if it has the same features as that, or if it added even more on top of that?

Three new classes, additional battle elements, an expanded character creation tool, three all-new dungeons with new endings, and more. This previous video lays them out.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNlOedzJYE[/media]

Ah, okay. I think it's just a port of Revisited on Vita in that case (revisited on Vita also has those three classes, guard counter, etc), which I have a digital copy of so I probably won't buy again. I just played Trails of Cold Steel I on Vita, so I have no problem sticking it out on Vita Island a bit longer :D

That being said I do also have an LE of the first game still and don't regret it just because the box and art are so pretty.

My usual VN news:

First of all Mangagamer released How to Live a Healthy Hentai Lifestyle. This is a nukige, but more of a WTF over the top nukige. I may have played most of it. I didn't like it and didn't finish off 2 of the routes. A bit too over the top for me and made me feel stupid with the premise of the game.

Their next game is Musicus! releasing on 04-08-2021. These Overdrive musical VNs are usually pretty awesome. I really liked Kira Kira and its sequel and I've heard DearDrops is good as well. I will likely wait for a sale, but I will play it eventually. 10% off for pre-ordering.

They also announced that they licensed Christmas Tina: Ephemeral Views of Winter from NekoDay. This is some story about a guy who fails his university exams and works a job he hates. He learns about Tokyo and decides to go there not knowing much Japanese. There is a girl also who had an accident and feels she needs to leave her hometown. They aim for the same job and there is only 1 job, but they both don't want to give up, so the boss suggests they do the job together. It's a Chinese VN I believe, but has Japanese voices. Looks like something I'd pick up on sale. It is all ages.

Mangagamer Blog (NSFW)

Mangagamer Healthy Hentai Lifestyle (NSFW)

Mangagamer Musicus! (NSFW)

Sekai Project/Denpasoft had 2 releases this week. The first is the English version of Love's Sweet Garnish 2. I really enjoyed the original although it was a bit too short. I am putting this close to the top of my VN backlog. 15% off currently. The second release is 9-Nine-:Episode 4. It is a well regarded series that I need to play. They are on Steam and also have 18+ versions on Denpasoft, as well as the 18+ free patches.

Steam Love's Sweet Garnish 2

Steam 9-Nine:Episode 4

Denpasoft Love's Sweet Garnish 2 (NSFW)

Denpasoft Love's Sweet Garnish 2 18+ DLC (NSFW)

Denpasoft 9-Nine: Episode 4 (NSFW)

Denpasoft 9-Nine: Episode 4 18+ DLC (NSFW)

JAST USA released World's Horniest Housewife - Rikky Horne. Looks like a well drawn nukige at least. is she really the horniest housewife? That's a mystery for sure. 10% launch discount. It looks like a fun one at least.

JAST USA (NSFW)

The pricing for Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is terrible.  Game + Dante DLC is $60, which is $10 more than PS2 version in 2003, or the same price as SMT V for Switch.

The pricing for Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is terrible. Game + Dante DLC is $60, which is $10 more than PS2 version in 2003, or the same price as SMT V for Switch.
if dante was on cartridge I would've paid. but now i dont care

Re:Zero CE back in stock at Amazon

Also Target B2G1 has a few Japanese-style games eligible for promotion

Ryza 2 PS4

Caligula 2

Akibas Trip

NIS Classics Vol 1

No More Heroes 3

Silver Case 2425

Mary Skelter Finale
Edge of Eternity (if this ever comes out) 

Hopefully Caligula Effect 2 is better than the first. That game had some cool concepts and great music, with an interesting story, but the gameplay was slow, the classroom system for recruiting was near garbage, and the battle system was overly complicated, yet also became very repetitive. I hate that Target is a bit inconsistent for niche release listing. Where is Mary Skelter for Switch? I know they tend to remove listings for things once they sell out. Annoying but eh it is what it is.

Wait they took him out of the game and are charging for him to be dlc? That's pretty sucky.
The license expired, to my knowledge there’d been no plans to offer him at all until this latest announcement. My guess is a bunch of people wrote in and Atlus worked something last minute out with Capcom, then threw him into the deluxe version. It’s not like he even matches the atmosphere of the game, so whatever.

I agree the game’s pricing is kinda borked considering the amount of work that seems to have gone into the remaster, though.

Re:Zero CE back in stock at Amazon

Also Target B2G1 has a few Japanese-style games eligible for promotion

Ryza 2 PS4

Caligula 2

Akibas Trip

NIS Classics Vol 1

No More Heroes 3

Silver Case 2425

Mary Skelter Finale
Edge of Eternity (if this ever comes out)
Looks like Ryza 2 PS4 went OOS earlier.

Akiba's Trip Switch version is eligible, but not PS4.

Same for NIS Classics Vol. 1

Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 might be some others options relevant to the thread.

Samurai Warriors 5 is also an option, but only Switch and Xbox versions. PS4 is excluded.

Robotics;Notes Elite & DaSH Double Pack for $29.99 too, only PS4 version is still in stock.

I totally thought the Akiba's Trip Hellbound & Debriefed was a remaster of Undead & Undressed. But apparently Undead & Undressed was actually Akiba's Trip 2 in Japan and this is a remaster of the first game (We never got?) That's neat.

How does Dante work if Raidou is still in the game? lol
From the Steam DLC page "Adds a mode where Raidou Kuzunoha is replaced by none other than Dante of Devil May Cry fame. *You can only select this mode when starting a new game."

Basically sounds like you're picking which version of the game you want to play when making a new file.

bread's done
Back