Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Square Enix just put up the 3.0 hoodie for 350 reward points. Hefty, considering steelbooks are 30 points and last year's hoodie was 75 points.
Makes sense, they're probably trying to get people to rewards point dump because they never release any new rewards ever and people are probably sitting onhuge stashes. I know I am.

For those still looking for Mad Rat Dead (Switch), Bull Moose still has copies in stock for $37.99 plus free shipping.  Its the last major retailer I know of that has it in stock and at a decent price.

For those still looking for Mad Rat Dead (Switch), Bull Moose still has copies in stock for $37.99 plus free shipping. Its the last major retailer I know of that has it in stock and at a decent price.
I want to know how someone ended up with that name. Does it at least sound better in natural Japanese?

I want to know how someone ended up with that name. Does it at least sound better in natural Japanese?
A little. The romanji of the Japanese title is "Maddo Ratto Deddo" so they've got the slant-rhyme thing going for them, but the words "Mad", "Rat", and "Dead" in sequence still aren't exactly prime marketing material.

I saw it on a few "Best of 2020 lists" from sources I tend to have similar tastes to, though, so it's relatively high on my to-play list regardless.

I don't think I'll ever sell off any of my niche Japanese physical games again. There are some that I got rid of years ago and want to rebuy but the prices are insane. I don't know if it is because of the Covid bubble or if it's because they're scarce now and physical games don't get high print runs anymore so this might be the norm.
For example I typed out "Disgaea 4 Switch" > clicked on shopping tab on google > I see that one is 9.1 miles away from me but it doesn't say where > click on compare to 5+ stores > I see that it shows one available 9.1 miles away in Long Beach. I looked at "Gamestop Long Beach" and called one of the stores there and asked if they had it. They said no but the other store in Long Beach had one.

I don't think I'll ever sell off any of my niche Japanese physical games again. There are some that I got rid of years ago and want to rebuy but the prices are insane. I don't know if it is because of the Covid bubble or if it's because they're scarce now and physical games don't get high print runs anymore so this might be the norm.
Definitely low prints for some. Mostly Nisa and Atlus stuff and anything older fire emblem wise. Especially switch releases since they seem to be getting weirdly smaller prints yet are the more vied for versions due to the portability. Fairy tail and atelier ryza 1 both shot up past msrp.

I've waffled with the decision to sell the .hack games and fire emblem path of radiance quite a bit over the last few months since fire emblem alone hit over 350 which is a crap ton of money for an old videogame. I think at one point it was even going close to 400-500 for complete copies and 600-700 new.

I mean I feel dumb for selling my new Xenoblade 2 CE last year. The price has at least double now.
I just payed crazy price for the CE version a day or two ago. $205? I think. Complete...

Also the Torna version is crazy expensive as well just got a new copy off of Amazon from third party for $125.

Nintendo LEs tend to hold their value for sure and go up. They are good investments if that's what you tend to do. I'm still going to sell my niche games I consider lesser even if they may go up in value. Do I really care if these Iffy PS4 games go up in price? Not really and while I've enjoyed enough Dragon Star Varnir, other than the extremely annoying grind fest that is the devour sub game, I'm probably not going to miss Omega Quintet or Dark Rose Valkyrie. Frankly those games are not terrible, but quite boring without a decent story so far.

At the same time, most premium games don't even get that expensive on the video game collector's market when compared to other hobbies and collectables.  All of those PS1 jrpgs that many of us like to collect are like $50-$150 still and that's nothing.  Compare that to like guns, art posters, or even Pokemon cards.   Video games are still easily purchasable for the most part.  And if you want to subsidize buying old premium games with the sales of new collectors items then you can easily do so.  You just have to be able to identify the right items to pre-order. 

I mean I feel dumb for selling my new Xenoblade 2 CE last year. The price has at least double now.
So... what exactly is going on? Standard Xenoblade 2 copies are going for like nearly $100, Torna going for over $100. Is this bc of Pyra/Mythra being added in Smash?

Decided to check out the prices of some of my games after the PS store shutdown rumor.  Might sell my new Devil Summoner 2 LE sometime.

So this is kinda out of left field, but for those who’ve played it, what’s your favorite iteration/clone of soukoban? If you aren’t familiar with it under that title (it’s gone under several different titles in the west), it’s that super old school puzzle game where you’re pushing boxes to predetermined goal points. Used to play it on Game Boy when I was really young and I’ve been in the mood to play again. Retro or modern doesn’t matter.

FakeFrailEsok-size_restricted.gif
There are a series of cheap hentai games on steam like this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1509090/Seek_Girl/

My Best Buy copy of Balan Wonderworld is delayed. No idea why or when. I seem to recall it had mediocre previews anyway though.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1375991031867400194

Blue Reflection Second Light announced.

There's also a Japan only Mobile/PC game

Also an anime.

careful about buying 13 sentinels from gamestop on this sale. they gut their games again. 

2 copies on display in my store with no artbook or nothing.

I really liked Blue Reflection and will never sell the copy I own. While the story is really good the gameplay is rater lacking and pretty janky. That's not to say it doesn't have it's moments but it is a game carried by the story, especially the tail end of the game. Glad to hear that it is getting a sequel as I thought it more or less flopped. 

I have a new, sealed copy. Do you have any good anime BDs for trade, pika pi?
Maybe lol most of my duplicates are Sentai stuff I rebought for the dub or smaller sets like log horizon/higurashi/Oregairu/Disney Ghiblies or old DVD sets I upgraded to BD later. I do need to go through my stuff to see what I don't care for anymore though. I have been slowly listing things on Mercari though not as much anime the last few months.

Is this Nothing371 from BD forums :p?

A single "new" copy of Death End Re;Quest 2 popped up online at GS for $30. I had to grab it. For some reason Iffy didn't print a whole lot of this game, already sold out everywhere so price could start shooting up.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

A single "new" copy of Death End Re;Quest 2 popped up online at GS for $30. I had to grab it. For some reason Iffy didn't print a whole lot of this game, already sold out everywhere so price could start shooting up.

The Switch version goes on sale on the 1st. Limited run style

It isn't discounted, but Iffy's Online Store still has copies:

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/death-end-request-2-SE/

I'm really surprised to see Blue Reflection's price shoot up.

I enjoyed that game a good amount and got the platinum.

Sometimes you just wanna be a schoolgirl and rock out to that battle theme ya know

It isn't discounted, but Iffy's Online Store still has copies:

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/death-end-request-2-SE/

I'm really surprised to see Blue Reflection's price shoot up.

I enjoyed that game a good amount and got the platinum.

Sometimes you just wanna be a schoolgirl and rock out to that battle theme ya know
Shoot up? It is still---Oh I see. Yikes. I only played up to the first boss, but I did enjoy it and the music. I'll have to put more time into the game.

Your JRPG releases for April 2021:

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (Switch)
- SaGa Frontier Remastered
- Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack
- Nier Replicant Ver.1.22474487139...
- Death end re;Quest (Switch)

https://www.siliconera.com/ps3-vita-and-psp-playstation-stores-will-close-in-july-and-august-2021/

It's nice that the download list will still work, even if that thing is atrocious on Vita. Have fun scrolling through years of every purchase on every platform (oh, and all your PS+ games getting put at the top of the list if that renews) to get to old Vita purchases.

I think I have pretty much ever digital only game for those platforms I want already, but I do need to go through and see if I want to grab any DLC. I like the OP weapons and armor in Neptunia games, so maybe something like that for the Superdimenion Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls crossover game.

Some digital only niche games that come to mind people may be interested in considering. Not an exhaustive list, but stuff I noticed in my own collection:

PS3:

Eiyuu Senki (also has enhanced Steam releases)

Battle Princess of Arcadias

Darkstalkers Resurrection (also on Xbox 360)

Legasista

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (also on Steam)

Class of Heroes 2G (physical copies were extremely limited)

Lots of PS2 Classics games.

PSP:

Black Rock Shooter

Brandish: Dark Revenant

Summon Night 5 (physical copies were extremely limited)

Vita:

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3

Monster Monpiece (also on Steam with the censorship removed)

A.W. Phoenix Festa was digital only, but has already been delisted (asia English versions exist)

Senran Kagura Bon Appetit (and expansion DLC)[Also on Steam], Ray Gigant (also on Steam) had LRG releases, but were digital only prior to that.

Not much else is coming to mind, most of my games are physical. I like costume DLC so I'll want to grab some for old Dynasty Warriors games I haven't played yet maybe. Dungeon Travelers 2 is pretty tough and has some DLC that can help / extra characters.

The whole announcement is kind of making me feel more positively about Steam, weirdly. The platform has come a long way for niche game fans as Sony seems to care less (just opinions). I've always kind of liked consoles and physical media, and will probably continue to like physical media but I am liking Steam more and more.

bread's done
Back