Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
GPB_qV4a8AAe9UI

Game from mailbox, and Rilakkuma from Round1

Sisters: Last Day of Summer has released from JAST USA and has a 10% discount for a few more days. It is on Steam and the JAST USA store. There is an 18+ patch for this one. What makes this special is it's a fully animated visual novel similar to School Days/Shiny Days. I'll likely play this some time during the summer.

Steam
18+ Patch (NSFW)
JAST USA (NSFW)

JAST USA will be the English publisher for Uberich: Advent Sinners.

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune announced it will release Geminism from CRAFTWORK. This one is about twin sisters fighting and two men observing them. I have no idea, but the art style looks cool.

VNDB (NSFW)

Doukyuusei 2 Remake will be released in English.

VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project announces Wagamama High Spec OC from Madosoft. This is a fan disk to Wagamama High Spec. Sekai Project/Denpasoft are so slow nowadays, so I hope this comes out in a timely manner.

VNDB (NSFW)

Mangagamer has announced Steam Prison - Beyond the Steam a fan disk of Steam Prison. I've heard good things about the original, and the art is great.

VNDB (NSFW)

So I've got about 35 hours clocked in FFVII Rebirth, about to enter Mt. Corel, and it feels like the game's been spinning its wheels. I'm having fun, but the story has just completely stalled. Chapters 1-4 were pretty amazing, then chapter 5 hit a bit of a snag with the Queen's Blood tournament. I love Queen's Blood, and the jokes on the ship were pretty great, but it just felt like filler. Finally, I get to Costa del Sol and chapter 6, proceed to crash into everything on my wheelie, laugh my ass off, then get absolutely bodied by endless minigames that mostly sucked (Run Wild can go straight to hell). Of course, I know the original game's story really starts picking up when you get to Mt. Corel, so I'm sure this game will pick up, too, but the original game was smart to not linger too long in Junon and Costa del Sol to keep the narrative tight. I'm starting to get the vibe that Rebirth is going to end up being way too long and just drag the story for the sake of padding that runtime and justifying turning a 40 hour PS1 JRPG into a massive trilogy. I got the same vibe playing Remake: while I appreciated how it expanded on the Avalanche characters, it didn't need to be nearly as long as it was.

Basically we have:
First 5 hours of OG = 40 hour Remake
Remainder of first disc of OG = 150 hour Rebirth
Second and third discs of OG = ? (don't know how much they're going to change the story and how that could shorten or lengthen the final game, but we'll see)

That's...that's a lot, man. I swear, games are either too short or too long nowadays.

So I've got about 35 hours clocked in FFVII Rebirth, about to enter Mt. Corel, and it feels like the game's been spinning its wheels. I'm having fun, but the story has just completely stalled. Chapters 1-4 were pretty amazing, then chapter 5 hit a bit of a snag with the Queen's Blood tournament. I love Queen's Blood, and the jokes on the ship were pretty great, but it just felt like filler. Finally, I get to Costa del Sol and chapter 6, proceed to crash into everything on my wheelie, laugh my ass off, then get absolutely bodied by endless minigames that mostly sucked (Run Wild can go straight to hell). Of course, I know the original game's story really starts picking up when you get to Mt. Corel, so I'm sure this game will pick up, too, but the original game was smart to not linger too long in Junon and Costa del Sol to keep the narrative tight. I'm starting to get the vibe that Rebirth is going to end up being way too long and just drag the story for the sake of padding that runtime and justifying turning a 40 hour PS1 JRPG into a massive trilogy. I got the same vibe playing Remake: while I appreciated how it expanded on the Avalanche characters, it didn't need to be nearly as long as it was.

Basically we have:
First 5 hours of OG = 40 hour Remake
Remainder of first disc of OG = 150 hour Rebirth
Second and third discs of OG = ? (don't know how much they're going to change the story and how that could shorten or lengthen the final game, but we'll see)

That's...that's a lot, man. I swear, games are either too short or too long nowadays.
Disc 3 of OG was just the final dungeon because of all the FMVs, so there's not that much left.

After beating Rebirth's story, I'm curious to see how SE finishes this "remake trilogy" because...I was overall not a fan of the ending.

I actually liked that they expanded on the areas, but I suggest that you just move on to the next story beat if you feel it has stalled. Most of the side quest and mini games are not mandatory, and if they are, you just have to get the bare minimum score or requirement to move on. I would normally do a bunch of the side quest for the area then moved on to the next story beat once I start feeling the grind.

Disc 3 of OG was just the final dungeon because of all the FMVs, so there's not that much left.
True, but they managed to pad the Midgar intro into a full game so the Norther Crater could be stretched pretty damn far lol
I actually liked that they expanded on the areas, but I suggest that you just move on to the next story beat if you feel it has stalled. Most of the side quest and mini games are not mandatory, and if they are, you just have to get the bare minimum score or requirement to move on. I would normally do a bunch of the side quest for the area then moved on to the next story beat once I start feeling the grind.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the optional parts. That'd be pretty silly, and I've been enjoying most of it. I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of mandatory padding that's kind of stalling story progression. But Remake had this problem, too, and like I said, I'm about to enter Mt. Corel, and I'm really interested to see how they handle that part. I'm definitely having fun overall.

I loved the game to death up to Gongaga- after that, it felt a bit too daunting to do everything gameplay wise but still did a lot of it, but there's so much that's just too tough for me (the final Chadley summon battle, a lot of the VR battles with enemies that can easily one-hit kill you, the final... Island or whatever after you get all the protorelics) but I am pretty proud of myself for getting As on all the piano songs.

I just started Chapter 14, clocked in at 110 hours, and guessing I'll be done tomorrow or Saturday. Really curious to see how this plays out...

Got the platinum trophy for Gal/Grim Guardians: Demon Puge. The first playthrough is a solid Castlevania 3 clone, but they pull a Ghouls and Ghosts and make you replay the game again to get the last stage & endings. Which wasn't a problem since the gameplay is good. It gets pretty perverted out of nowhere though during the second run. So I can't really recommend it to everyone. Fun game, but do some research on it before you buy.

I get most of my RPGS on PS4/PS5 now. Saga Emerald was a phone game as well, so I'm sure the Switch will be fine. I'll wait till more Asian English or Japanese with English releases I want are going to come out before I order with Play-Asia to get their free shipping. I do own all the ones currently available for the Saga games. Also can we please get a Saga Frontier 2 remaster or something someday? That was my favorite on the PSX for the Saga games for sure.

I get most of my RPGS on PS4/PS5 now. Saga Emerald was a phone game as well, so I'm sure the Switch will be fine. I'll wait till more Asian English or Japanese with English releases I want are going to come out before I order with Play-Asia to get their free shipping. I do own all the ones currently available for the Saga games. Also can we please get a Saga Frontier 2 remaster or something someday? That was my favorite on the PSX for the Saga games for sure.
Probably later this year or early 2025: https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/aki...mastered-you-wont-be-disappointed-if-you-wait

According to reviews on Play-Asia, they actually use compressed files for some of the Saga Frontier games on switch carts, where the data on the cart is say like 80gb total rather than the ~240gb from the full digital download. Meaning you are getting graphics and music with quality loss.

This is what has kept me from buying several of those Saga game cart imports.

Kind of hilarious for compression for freakin' SNES games Romancing Saga 2 and 3.

It's crazy too because even though they updated Romancing SaGa 2, the end result is only 1.4GB. But they went and compressed it down to under 500MB to get the cheapest cart. Which is crazy. It's not like this was an expensive cart at 2GB.

I loved the game to death up to Gongaga- after that, it felt a bit too daunting to do everything gameplay wise but still did a lot of it, but there's so much that's just too tough for me (the final Chadley summon battle, a lot of the VR battles with enemies that can easily one-hit kill you, the final... Island or whatever after you get all the protorelics) but I am pretty proud of myself for getting As on all the piano songs.

I just started Chapter 14, clocked in at 110 hours, and guessing I'll be done tomorrow or Saturday. Really curious to see how this plays out...
You are ahead of me now. I am still on Chapter 12. I am terrible at rhythm based games and there's no way I am going get those kind of rankings on the piano songs or that gym.

You are ahead of me now. I am still on Chapter 12. I am terrible at rhythm based games and there's no way I am going get those kind of rankings on the piano songs or that gym.

On the Piano, one tip that helped me was to increase the speed- I think it's at 1 by default but try it at 3, 4 or 5. That way, it's more like QTE- you see what you have to press and you press it vs needing to time it if it's at the default speed. A few other things that help are to mute the game (your mind will want play keys based on what you think the music is, muting it avoids this) and just realize that you have quite a bit of leeway for error (for example, if the key is to press down, you don't have to perfectly press down). The thing that continued to mess me up is how when the keys or tones or whatever they're called change for a press and the color of the circles change.

On the gym game, I got nothing for you. I got all of them on the first or 2nd try, except the last one which took me 5 tries.

Atelier Ryza 3 PS5 $29.99 woot

Some other games dropped in price at woot.
Atelier thyza 3 ps5 alchemist of the end and the secret key 29.99

Octopus traveling ps4 24.99

Fate samurai remnant switch 34.99
Ps4 31.99
Ps5 34.99

P3r ce xbox 99.99

Rune factory 3 switch 31.99

Gran blue fantasy relink deluxe edition ps5 49.99

Megaman battle network ps4 29.99

P5r 1 more ce 49.99 ps5
69.99 switch

Disgaea 7 ps5 24.99

P5 tactics xbox 19.99

Crymachina ps5 de 29.99

Inescapable no rules no rescue switch 19.99

Utawarerumono (aka under water ray romano) monochrome mobius rights and wrongs forgotten de 24.99 ps4
29.99 ps5

Inescapable is one of those games I need to play only touching it a bit on release (did beat the demo which lead me to buying it). Should have waited to buy, but it was pretty aight for what I played.

Yeah, $20 is my buy price for most physical games I am remotely interested in. For example, didn't touch Inescapable at $24.99 but gladly picked it up when it fell to $20. Now I just need some more stuff to drop to tempt me.

Just beat Rebirth. 112 hours. I kinda get what they did with the ending but definitely had to have a few things pointed out by IGN's summary that makes things are lot clearer. I'm definitely amped to see what they do in Part 3. The first 3/4s of the game are a sold 9.5, the final quarter is 8-ish. Overall I'd say it's a 9.

My final thoughts on the game are:
1. Cait Sith sucks donkey ass to use. They just need to scrap him and focus on making Cid and Vincent actually worth using.
2. The third game will be called Reunite.

Last edited:
Just beat Rebirth. 112 hours. I kinda get what they did with the ending but definitely had to have a few things pointed out by IGN's summary that makes things are lot clearer. I'm definitely amped to see what they do in Part 3. The first 3/4s of the game are a sold 9.5, the final quarter is 8-ish. Overall I'd say it's a 9.

My final thoughts on the game are:
1. Cait Sith sucks donkey ass to use. They just need to scrap him and focus on making Cid and Vincent actually worth using.
2. The third game will be called Reunite.
I’m almost certain the third game will be called Return because (1) “return to the planet” is a recurring phrase in FF7 and (2) it falls into the dumb-subtitle category that SE loves.

I picked up Sword Art Online (PS5) Dying Light 2 (PS5) and few more games. Damaged $170 after taxes. The Legend of Heroes is good deal but the framerates is suck. Need new patches

I’m almost certain the third game will be called Return because (1) “return to the planet” is a recurring phrase in FF7 and (2) it falls into the dumb-subtitle category that SE loves.

I thought Return too for a while but in the ending where
Zack is sitting at the church, he says something along the lines of worlds uniting, which makes me think all the various timelines or whatever are gonna be one again, or reunite to what it should be. And hopefully he reunites with Aerith, Zack deserves a W.

Thats a good price for Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II after only a few months. Do I buy it now or risk it going even lower?

bread's done
Back