Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Ocean 5: An impenetrable RPG chasing mainstream success

Japan didn't like it; will streamlined mechanics be enough for success in the west? (Ars Technica)
Funny. Weren't they saying SO5 would be a return to roots before the game came out? I remember how they were going back to older SO's for inspiration. They just keep flipflopping on this game. First the panties and now this. I'd rather they just stick to their guns 'this is how we made it and this is how it'll be' instead of all this PR bullshit.

Does that game only have 6 songs? Every trailer is the same songs...
The songs in the trailer aren't that frequently used. I didn't recognize the first one. Or are you making a jab at all of them sounding alike.

Gust Teases New Atelier Game to Be Announced on May 24th

Gust opened today a new teaser website mentioning the announcement of a new game of the Atelier series on May 24th.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters cross-media project officially announced

Caligula ‘Students of Mobius’ gameplay video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAbZYvJEEpw

Smash Bros. version 1.1.6 now available

The patch only applies changes to Bayonetta

Etrian Odyssey V ‘Reaper’ and ‘Necromancer’ class trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_-bdEN6_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ESry5hhmU

Pokémon Sun & Moon Will Feature Multiple Islands

Dragon Quest Heroes II gameplay shows Atlas vs. Drakulard battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV4Ul6UPI8I

New Taiko Drum Master Game Has Guests From Touhou, Monster Hunter, Kirby, And More

Final Fantasy XV Shows Hammerhead In A Day And Night Cycle Time-Lapse Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTGan39yi4

5pb. Festival 2016 set for July 3

I actually like the Misaka-focused Railgun anime, but I will completely agree that we need the next season of Index.

It's been so long since Index season 2 aired!
The author around a month ago apologized there hasn't been a Season 3 yet but said not to expect one soon. Index Season 2 aired back in 2011 and so far we haven't even finished the first series of Index while the New Testament series is currently at Volume 15. Even if Season 3 finishes covering the rest on the first series it's still gonna be way behind especially since Index Season 1 and 2 covered around 6 Volumes each. I would love to see Railgun Season 3 however as I've been dying to see the Misaki arc animated.

NISA has a poll to add a character to Touhou Genso Rondo. It started yesterday (5/18) and closes June 1st.

Straight to the poll.
This poll should be a crime for not having Cirno.

003b8deaf4e99ce6ec4df44a587698c5_zpsvz9judld.png

Might I suggest a smattering of classic literature? I'd personally recommend a little H. P. Lovecraft for someone on a budget. All of his work is part of the public domain, and can be acquired legally at no cost.
Of course there's always your handy dandy library card. ;)

When it comes to science-fantasy, Piers Anthony is my go to. He has dozens of books in several series and they all read quick. A little teenage 'finding yourself', but little of the high school drama.

Surprisingly, I also got sucked into Orson Scott Card's Ender-verse. I know some think he's a douche for his political views, but that is not reflected in his writing. Indeed, just based on his writing, you might think him sympathetic to the other side. (The Lady doth protest too much?) But yeah, it has been said that there are only seven basic stories anyway, so I agree with judging them on execution.

Docu-dramas (think The King of Kong) are fun too. Currently reading Console Wars.

A New Gungrave Game is Announced … for Mobile

The game is an official mobile spinoff, utilizing a license for the name from its original developer, Red Entertainment.

Sega is “Very Interested” in Bringing Atlus Games to Europe

Meet Three Brand-New Characters From Azure Striker Gunvolt 2

Here’s a look at the characters Xiao Wu, Mytyl, and Nori with extra information from Inti Creates.

One Piece: Great Pirate Colosseum announced for 3DS

Good Smile Company Offers A First Look At The Phoenix Wright Figma

Tekken 7: King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 Announced For North America
The tournament “aims to bring together the top Tekken players from around the country for the largest ever Tekken tournament in North America.

Get Hyped for Combat with New Trailer for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJD48GsHqE

Funny. Weren't they saying SO5 would be a return to roots before the game came out? I remember how they were going back to older SO's for inspiration. They just keep flipflopping on this game. First the panties and now this. I'd rather they just stick to their guns 'this is how we made it and this is how it'll be' instead of all this PR bullshit.

The songs in the trailer aren't that frequently used. I didn't recognize the first one. Or are you making a jab at all of them sounding alike.
Well no, they said they were looking back at star ocean 3, which wouldn't be the roots.
Aren't they sticking to their guns by going in a direction that fans weren't expecting?
Star ocean 1 was a 40 hour game, star ocean 2 was 60 hours, 4 was the longest of the three I played and maybe that wasn't for the best. I see no problem with 5 being a 50 hour game.

I am still keeping up hope for Star Ocean 5.  The games have always been polarizing with many people hating them, and I always like them way more than most people, even jrpg fans.  Definitely debating cancelling the SE store LE pre-order though. 

I am still keeping up hope for Star Ocean 5. The games have always been polarizing with many people hating them, and I always like them way more than most people, even jrpg fans. Definitely debating cancelling the SE store LE pre-order though.
I'm playing through 1 right now and I have to say so far its better than 4 was outside the older combat which is still good for what it is. Quite like the opening too. 3 had my favorite combat system though due to fury. 4 had nice ranged characters and pretty good move sets for most of them sans edge the main character who seemed like an afterthought. meracle was the first time they put a character who can actually combo well and she could aerial juggle. but 4 suffered from making combos more limited than 3 due to the fury system being removed. If they had allowed you to at least fill all 4 slots on both l and r triggers that would of been something. But nope they cost for assigning moves is stupidly there for no reason so at best you can only assign the same move 8 times. If it wasn't for the cost system you could probably fill each slot with a unique move which is a step up from so3 move count wise.

I'd really hope by 6 if they make a 6th game each character has a average sized move pool of 15 (with more or less for the main and optional characters of course). And that they remove casting times on spells so mages won't be so nerfed compared to melee. Maybe bring back mp damage for them and freeze shattering so they can be more viable if they want to leave things as is.

Oh and heads up gohastings has a 44% off sale which drops alot of rpgs into 25 or less territory.  I snagged pokemon y for 19$ and fire emblem fates conquest for 22$  

disgaea d2 9$

guided fate paradox 9$,

atelier escha and logy 9$,

atelier totori 12$,

atelier ayesha 14$,

tales of graces 17$

kh ddd 15$

3d dot game heroes 4.50

so4 6$

eternal sonata 7$

lost odyssey 11$ 

lost dimension vita 23$ https://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Lost-Dimension/sku/297611894.uts

ff13 13-2 and 13-3 down to 9$ each tales of vesperia for 15$, project xzone 2 for 18$, valkyria chronicles remastered for 18$, pokemon diamond and pokemon mystery dungeon gates to infinite for 18$, bravely second for 22$, yokai watch for 22$, xenoblade new 3ds 22$, tales of zestiria ps3 for 14$

And note sometimes a few of these will still be new and sealed like vesperia. I've ordered 2 copies from them in the past and both were new and sealed still due to them converting games to used.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ‘Hyped for Combat’ trailer
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-hyped-combat-trailer
https://youtu.be/psJD48GsHqE

Airship Q’s Official English Patch Has Been Released
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/20/airship-qs-official-english-patch-released/

Super Mario Maker Update 1.43 Slightly Alters Searches
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/20/super-mario-maker-update-1-43-slightly-alters-searches/

A Shiny Yveltal Distribution Has Now Begun In North America
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/20/shiny-yveltal-distribution-now-begun-north-america/

Oh and heads up gohastings has a 44% off sale which drops alot of rpgs into 25 or less territory. I snagged pokemon y for 19$ and fire emblem fates conquest for 22$

disgaea d2 9$

guided fate paradox 9$,

atelier escha and logy 9$,

atelier totori 12$,

atelier ayesha 14$,

tales of graces 17$

kh ddd 15$

3d dot game heroes 4.50

so4 6$

eternal sonata 7$

lost odyssey 11$

lost dimension vita 23$ https://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Lost-Dimension/sku/297611894.uts

ff13 13-2 and 13-3 down to 9$ each tales of vesperia for 15$, project xzone 2 for 18$, valkyria chronicles remastered for 18$, pokemon diamond and pokemon mystery dungeon gates to infinite for 18$, bravely second for 22$, yokai watch for 22$, xenoblade new 3ds 22$, tales of zestiria ps3 for 14$
What's the point of a sale if everything is out of stock..

What's the point of a sale if everything is out of stock..
Most of it goes out of stock right as the sale hits then magically pops up after the sale ends :whistle2:k But alot of it was in stock this morning when I was searching. It goes quick once slick deals and such find out.

Does anyone have a Play-Asia coupon that I could use? I'm looking to buy some JP PSN cards for Hatsune Miku PD Future Tone.

I don't know if I'll receive a coupon after my purchase, but I'd be willing to share it back if I get a code. 

Does anyone have a Play-Asia coupon that I could use? I'm looking to buy some JP PSN cards for Hatsune Miku PD Future Tone.

I don't know if I'll receive a coupon after my purchase, but I'd be willing to share it back if I get a code.
I posted one a while ago. Nobody ever told me they used it (which is no guarantee), but here's the code in case it's still live:

NU-*AE-OY*

* = the letter between U and W.

Don't worry about giving me a code back if mine works and you get another one (I don't order from Play-Asia very often), but feel free to post it in this thread and keep the karma wheel going.

I posted one a while ago. Nobody ever told me they used it (which is no guarantee), but here's the code in case it's still live:

NU-*AE-OY*

* = the letter between U and W.

Don't worry about giving me a code back if mine works and you get another one (I don't order from Play-Asia very often), but feel free to post it in this thread and keep the karma wheel going.
Thanks, but the code doesn't work. I appreciate it though.

I think I might have a Play-Asia code you can use.

I'll be sure to post here again once I get home from work and find it. :)

I had one but it expired in april... totally forgot about it, now I might need one soon :wall:

This Miku Game really snuck up on me.. Didn't think it would come out so soon.

Since we're talking about this, anyone have any recommendations besides Play-Asia for JP PSN cards or is that the best option?

Man I almost forgot about that. I wish AmiAmi was stocking the English version. Im sure the price would be jacked up if you tried to get it via Amazon, so I had better order soon.
It's already jacked up in price...$69.99 plus shipping. That's why I want a code...but I do love turn bases strategy games so I better bite the bullet.

Too bad everyone's coupons from buying DOAX3 have expired. Btw, if you're giving a code to someone, why not pm it to him and mention it in the thread. That way no lurkers get it.

Well, I just got my PSN codes from Play-Asia. They have pretty fast service.

Also, apparently they are aware of where the coupon code came from. I had to receive a phone call from them to verify my order, and they told me dsman3717's name associated with the account  :shock:

Also, apparently they are aware of where the coupon code came from. I had to receive a phone call from them to verify my order, and they told me dsman3717's name associated with the account :shock:
Creepers.

Also, apparently they are aware of where the coupon code came from. I had to receive a phone call from them to verify my order, and they told me dsman3717's name associated with the account :shock:
Yeah, that's weird. As long as it all worked out in the end, it's all good.

Should have added an order of a few Lewd Dakis to his account :D/

That story title irks me. "Saving us from a Digital-Only Future." I'm glad somebody, Limited Run Games, is making an attempt to bring digital games to physical media. As a "anotherpoorgamer," digital only is probably going to be my future since I refuse to pay the premium reseller prices for physical media.

I just wish there was a company similar to Limited Run Games that would reprint digital games to physical media by demand. I'm sure there are plenty of CAGs that missed out on the limited physical print runs that would have paid full retail price just to have the option.

I would rather support the developer/publisher more than the reseller.

Those Sekai Project and Mangagamer announcements at the con were kind of lame imho. Mangagamer it's mainly hardcopies and some new nukige game and a prequel to that new Morgana game and Sekai has some i'm unsure of visual novel and some doujin looking action game. Least a while back Imouto Paradise 2 was announced...I need that game.

MangaGamer Announcements (NSFW)

Sekai Project Announcements

Also I would recommend if you want a Shiren the Wanderer Vita copy I'd recommend you order now. It seems sold out for pre-orders at BestBuy, Gamestop doesn't seem to have it in their system/site, so Amazon or others is your likely choice. Something tells me this will be a small physical print run, and I really like these games, so I wont take a chance.

Was just looking and noticed some price drops on amazon.

Senran Kagura 2 Deep Crimson - $18.41(dropping)

MGSV(PS3) - $14.02

Tales of Zestiria(PS3) - $17.70(sold by woot)

Is Zestiria fine on the PS3? It's that or PC for me. But I'm not sure I could run the PC version well enough.

bread's done
Back