Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Granblue Fantasy x Platinum game better be good.

It looks better than Nier so far, but it also looks more straight up hack and slash.
Damn, I didn't know about this, so thanks for pointing it out! I really like the mobile game, so I'm pretty hyped. Probably wouldn't be possible, but imagine if they were able to have all the crossovers/events mixed in there? It'd be amazing. Either way I hope it turns out well. They better not screw this up! lol

Also, just FYI for anyone who isn't aware that you can play the JP version of the mobile game since it has an English option.

For the other couple people in this thread who play the Legend of Heroes games, here's some info on the Clear Game save importing into Cold Steel II since it's releasing in a couple weeks:

School Ranking

- A1: Silver Medal Accessory (Grants: +500 HP & +50 EP)

- A0: Golden Medal Accessory (Unique. Grants: +1000 HP, +100 EP & +10 STR/DEF/ATS/ADF)

Rean's Level

- 69 or Lower: 100 Sepith (Except Mass), 1x Attack 1 Quartz, 1x Zeram Powder

- 70 to 79: 300 Sepith (Except Mass), 1x Attack 1 Quartz, 1x Soul Blur Quartz, 1x Zeram Powder

- 80 or Higher: 500 Sepith (Except Mass), 1x Attack 1 Quartz, 1x Soul Blur Quartz, 1x Saintly Force Quartz, 2x Zeram Powder

The only way to get the Golden Medal accessory is through save importing with the highest school rank from the first game. It's a decent early game boost regardless of the difficulty. Leveling to 80+ on the other hand is quite grindy unless you use Shining Pom Bait DLC. That DLC will initiate a fight to battle shining poms and gives you one level for each bait you use. I think on my first playthrough I ended the game at around level 67 or so. NG+ in Cold Steel can get you higher if you carry over your level as well, but I'm not sure where you'd end up at.

Other than that, much like Trails in the Sky FC -> SC data importing, completing quests will change dialogue with all the NPCs you've done quests for from the previous game. The new part about this is that Rean's link level with your party members will change their early event scenes and dialogue as well if you can manage to get them up to 5. Maxing out everybody will require at least two playthroughs, potentially three for the hidden links of some characters that aren't directly in your party such as Towa or Sara should they have any effect as well.

Finally who you picked for a certain event in the final chapter also causes some dialogue changes in Cold Steel II I believe. I'm not as sure about the specifics of this as I am the rest though.

Do Japanese Vita themes work on US Vita accounts?
No because you can't get the theme onto the US Vita account. Vita, unlike the PS4 & PS3 only allow one account per memory card. To switch to another account you need to either wipe the memory card or switch to a different memory card.

So if all you do is physical games on Vita, just use a JP PSN account for the Vita. It's the only real way of doing it.

It's probably possible to get all the party members maxed in one playthrough.  The only characters I didn't get maxed was crowes from mine.  And it likely would of taken less time to max the characters if I had known about the books from the shop that increase your friendship with them.

sara towa and angelica are 3 of the characters you have s links with if I recall.  so it'd probably be close to impossible to max angelicas unless you do so while she's in the party and grind her since I don't recall her having any social link time spending options unlike sara and towa.

The digital code for Mighty No. 9 contained the digital version for the PS4. Anyone knows if this series is getting a sequel or not? I should probably sell the physical version on eBay

If you have a JP PSN account, there's a few free themes that are neat

Tales of Berseria PS4 PS3

tumblr_oc95msfj7l1tctta4o1_1280.jpg

Gundam Battle Operation Next PS4 PS3

tumblr_oc95msfj7l1tctta4o2_1280.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles PS4

tumblr_oc95msfj7l1tctta4o3_1280.jpg
Thanks!

Anyone know what might be the differences between the PS4 and Vita versions of Steins;Gate 0? Playing Steins;Gate on the vita now, I don't see how greater graphical capabilities would really do much, gameplay and everything seems really simple. I know that for games with a lot of action like Senran Kagura, consoles are preferred over handhelds if you're looking for power. But I don't see how it would really impact a visual novel. That being said, the PS4 version is $20 more expensive! So is the sequel no longer a VN? Maybe they added some free-roaming?

Basically I'm debating over which version to get, I know vita is life and what not, but is the PS4 experience that much better for $20 more? Thanks

Anyone know what might be the differences between the PS4 and Vita versions of Steins;Gate 0? Playing Steins;Gate on the vita now, I don't see how greater graphical capabilities would really do much, gameplay and everything seems really simple. I know that for games with a lot of action like Senran Kagura, consoles are preferred over handhelds if you're looking for power. But I don't see how it would really impact a visual novel. That being said, the PS4 version is $20 more expensive! So is the sequel no longer a VN? Maybe they added some free-roaming?

Basically I'm debating over which version to get, I know vita is life and what not, but is the PS4 experience that much better for $20 more? Thanks
It should be PSTV compatible since the JP version was.

So if you really want it on the big screen. :p

It's really just for the higher res images. I may go with the PS4 version (still debating if I'm willing to chalk up the extra cash for the LE).

Both Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth and Norn9 Var Commons are on my Amazon wish list and part of the current flash for the cost of $11.99 each. For Otome VNs are they worth it?

I was thinking about getting the Neptunia game too but I haven't even played through even Rebirth 1 on my Vita.

Thats not how it works. We got games that works on Vita TV in one region but not in other.
Taking into account that the first Steins;Gate they released was PSTV compatible, this one should be as well. Again, that is why I said "should". Since it's the same publisher, and the game has this capability too in its original form, stands to reason this release "should" as well.

Both Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth and Norn9 Var Commons are on my Amazon wish list and part of the current flash for the cost of $11.99 each. For Otome VNs are they worth it?

I was thinking about getting the Neptunia game too but I haven't even played through even Rebirth 1 on my Vita.
I haven't played Norn9 but Code: Realize was really good stuff. Really nice art and pretty decent story. Worth playing easily for all visual novel fans.

Norn9 is a good one too.

Characters are pretty solid, particularly the main character.

Of course, do not try to attach it to the anime in any form, because that was an abortion.

Fate/EXTELLA Gets 1080p Screenshots Showing New Servants and Stages

One Piece: Burning Blood Gets Screenshots For Rob Lucci And New DLC Costumes

Harvest Moon creator teases new game announcement

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana’s Demo Is Now Available For PlayStation Vita In Japan

Final Fantasy XV Gets A New Trailer Revealing Its English Voice Cast

Norn9 is a good one too.Characters are pretty solid, particularly the main character.
Norn9 suffers from a weak and unfulfilled story which makes its characters ride even more on their cliches. I would consider it one of the more weak otome games because of how rushed it is.

Norn9 suffers from a weak and unfulfilled story which makes its characters ride even more on their cliches. I would consider it one of the more weak otome games because of how rushed it is.
I agree. When I was on a Vita visual-novel binge (Code:Realize, Norn9, and Amnesia: Memories), Norn9 was easily the worst of the three. I just didn't care about any of the characters and the plot twists weren't very interesting. Also, if I remember correctly, there was one character route where it seemed like 35-40% of the dialogue was just "Tch".

Does anyone know how, or if it's even possible, to delay an Amazon shipment? I have several preorders on games coming out in the next few weeks and I'll be out of town. Is it possible to delay shipping until I return?

Does anyone know how, or if it's even possible, to delay an Amazon shipment? I have several preorders on games coming out in the next few weeks and I'll be out of town. Is it possible to delay shipping until I return?
You could contact them and ask, but even if they say "yes", I wouldn't believe them. Customer service, and the shipping dept don't appear to communicate with one another, so I would think it's almost impossible, although I'm sure they'll say they can do it.

The best thing I could recommend is signing up for the delivery notice service with UPS, USPS and FedEx, that way, once something is on the way, you get email alerts, then you can contact the shipping service and have them hold it, or delivery it to another address for you.

Although that might not work 100%, but it should, as that is a benefit of the service. I would say this is a better option than hoping Amazon can do anything for you, but you won't know until you ask.

Depending on the shipping method they use, you could just go to the post office, UPS, and Fedex office that they usually ship your packages from and tell them to hold your packages temporarily.

Here's the one for USPS,

https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

For USPS and Fedex, you will have to wait until you get a tracking number most likely before you ask for them to hold your package, but this you can do online or over the phone, but for USPS, it's actually pretty simple.

So I finally played through the Diva X demo this weekend.

[attachment=23376:20160820_233155.jpg]

I honestly think this game is going to be easier than Project Diva and F 2nd. I actually feel like the button maps follow the beats. Pretty easy to get close to perfect even on first try and without even knowing the song.

Diva F 2nd to me is like the waifu test - I can see a lot of people rage-quitting after a few songs on normal. I can't even survive "Doppelganger" on normal. If you get through everything though....hmmm...

[attachment=23375:20160820_232658.jpg]

Then I unlocked this module in the demo and thought of NeoMonk. 

20160820_233155.jpg

I honestly think this game is going to be easier than Project Diva and F 2nd. I actually feel like the button maps follow the beats. Pretty easy to get close to perfect even on first try and without even knowing the song.

Diva F 2nd to me is like the waifu test - I can see a lot of people rage-quitting after a few songs on normal. I can't even survive "Doppelganger" on normal. If you get through everything though....hmmm...

20160820_232658.jpg

It might be easier to play, but those who like to earn platinum trophies like me will apparently be in for a 100+-hour experience thanks to glorious RNG: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/hatsune-miku-project-diva-x/286286-estimated-time-platinum.html

It might be easier to play, but those who like to earn platinum trophies like me will apparently be in for a 100+-hour experience thanks to glorious RNG: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/hatsune-miku-project-diva-x/286286-estimated-time-platinum.html
That was kinda frustrating unlocking the same freaking module three times in a row. Plus I wonder if I hit a bug or something: I unlocked that cat module outfit and she was saying something like, "Nibbles I want nibbles! It's snacks or no singing!" after the song was over. I ran through another song starting with that module and after the song was over with another module on her she said the same thing and I was like, wait what?

20160820_233155.jpg

20160820_232658.jpg

I live for this and your avatar... much love :)

So if you really want it on the big screen. :p
Taking into account that the first Steins;Gate they released was PSTV compatible, this one should be as well. Again, that is why I said "should". Since it's the same publisher, and the game has this capability too in its original form, stands to reason this release "should" as well.
I asked about this a couple weeks ago and someone linked to a tweet from Pqube I believe confirming that the Vita version will be PSTV compatible.

I asked about this a couple weeks ago and someone linked to a tweet from Pqube I believe confirming that the Vita version will be PSTV compatible.
Mmhmm

The King of Fighters XIV Gets a Huge Gameplay Video from PlayStation Underground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeU_XaZATw

Rumor: Nights of Azure 2 announcement leaked

NiOh Gets Four Hours of Brutal Gameplay Footage from the Upcoming Beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXsBN0zjXg

Disgaea 2 coming to PC via Steam on January 30

Persona 5’s New TV Commercial Stars the Beautiful Anne

I'm shocked that's getting a sequel. The first one was an extremely subpar letdown. I hope they actually give this one the development time and attention that it needs.

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk

I'm shocked that's getting a sequel. The first one was an extremely subpar letdown. I hope they actually give this one the development time and attention that it needs.

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk
Gust churns out an atelier game every year. I don't think giving something time and attention is their forte.

HEY! Zestiria is back in stock at the bamco store. Go go go!

Damn. Did anyone grab extras of the Alisha DLC for steam? Apparently it was only given away in their european site.

bread's done
Back