Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gust churns out an atelier game every year. I don't think giving something time and attention is their forte.
yeah them and tecmo are both not known for making a complete game as its cheaper to leave it unfinished just enough to make a profit then maybe fixing after feedback from their "beta selling" and releasing a plus version, i gave up on gust since ni no kuni, game started out mostly fun, then it seemed they just pulled staffers and gave up, worst and most obvious game they gave up half way through, i have mostly stopped preordering anymore since the trend is everywhere, best to wait till reviews and videos then decide, did pick up the last azure but only recently when i saw it clearance for under 20 new, looks great on my shelf with the other ps4 games waiting for a ps4 to show up so they can be used

Damn. Did anyone grab extras of the Alisha DLC for steam? Apparently it was only given away in their european site.
You aren't missing much by not having the DLC. I was rather underwhelmed with it and the dungeon was pretty annoyingly designed. I'm sure Steam will have it really cheap at some point though.

yeah them and tecmo are both not known for making a complete game as its cheaper to leave it unfinished just enough to make a profit then maybe fixing after feedback from their "beta selling" and releasing a plus version, i gave up on gust since ni no kuni, game started out mostly fun, then it seemed they just pulled staffers and gave up, worst and most obvious game they gave up half way through, i have mostly stopped preordering anymore since the trend is everywhere, best to wait till reviews and videos then decide, did pick up the last azure but only recently when i saw it clearance for under 20 new, looks great on my shelf with the other ps4 games waiting for a ps4 to show up so they can be used
Ni no kuni was made by level 5

I'd adore for this to come stateside.

Also, the Valkyrie Drive collector's edition just came back in stock at Rice Digital. I caved, like the pathetic slut that I am.

Boobs, though.
You, fuck. I wanted Steins Gate, and getting more things at once is like getting a shipping discount on that $30 charge. So I just wasted $280...

Man you guys really love your LEs. I think the only expensive LE I ever got was the Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition, of which had a really cool book and little plushy guy.

Man, those LEs are tempting....

But I can't afford to spend that much anytime soon. Also, I realize I've been spending more time/money on smartphone games than console games.....

What's happening to me?  :whee:

You, fuck. I wanted Steins Gate, and getting more things at once is like getting a shipping discount on that $30 charge. So I just wasted $280...
...that's exactly what i told myself. It's not so bad if I'm paying $15 per item for shipping!

How'd you end up with $280, though? You buy 3 games?

Man you guys really love your LEs. I think the only expensive LE I ever got was the Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition, of which had a really cool book and little plushy guy.
I kinda hate them... and love them. It's a pretty fucked up relationship, man.

According to their Twitter, it looks like Aksys got shipments of the ZTD watches in. Said they're giving it to their retail partners who will update you about the status on them.

According to their Twitter, it looks like Aksys got shipments of the ZTD watches in. Said they're giving it to their retail partners who will update you about the status on them.
So what, we should be getting these in a few months now? LOL

This should be good, let me get ready for the incoming shit storm!

Looks like the bonus they promised is the digital booklet that steam users got. Kind of disappointing.

Looks like I'll be getting this, and passing on the more deluxe version since Rice is the only place to get that currently(and I don't wish to deal with them if I can help it).

Looks like the bonus they promised is the digital booklet that steam users got. Kind of disappointing.
You weren't really expecting some cool physical item where you? I knew whatever it would be, it was going to be something where cost wasn't really involved, and this pretty much fits the bill.

Gals Fighters lives again! (With a PS4 theme)

It says the theme costs a penny, but I just went through checkout and it changed to free.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-dynamic-theme-'gals'-fighters'/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-0000KOF14THEME03

3867_front.jpg

Looks like my future self's plan to send a D-mail to me to prevent myself from buying the Amadeus edition has worked. Muahahahaha! Now if only I can change the divergence enough so that this worldline has Amazon or Bestbuy selling the LE...
Obviously SERN got to BRW because we're still stuck on the sucky Rice digital exclusive worldline.

I have the Ni No Kuni Le too, had several of them in fact, put the down payment on the house using the profit. JK

Seriously though, these LE's are like an abusive relationship. You say gonna leave, but then a boobie mousepad comes walking in and you start throwing money around like a frat boy in Vegas.

If you're going to buy Zestiria on bamco's online store, there's a coupon for 15% off your first purchase. It's too late for me lads.

BNE15OFF

Yay finally beat at least once Criminal Girls 1....I know I got more endings and post-game stuff...but for now I will wait. It was really good though. It got a bit grindy near the end, but frankly it was pretty fun. I'm so glad that pink fog junk wont be back for Criminal Girls 2, and I will buy and play that, but will go for a Criminal Girls 1 Platinum later.

Yay finally beat at least once Criminal Girls 1....I know I got more endings and post-game stuff...but for now I will wait. It was really good though. It got a bit grindy near the end, but frankly it was pretty fun. I'm so glad that pink fog junk wont be back for Criminal Girls 2, and I will buy and play that, but will go for a Criminal Girls 1 Platinum later.
The platinum comes naturally when pursuing the true ending, which I always do for JRPGs. Hence it remains my only platinum until now.

I will always try to pursue true endings, but got no patience for plats. Don't know how CAGs go for plats while also hoping to keep up with their backlog. I can barely keep up and I always put the game away immediately after I finish it, just to not lure myself back into the time sink that is "cleaning up trophies".

The platinum comes naturally when pursuing the true ending, which I always do for JRPGs. Hence it remains my only platinum until now.

I will always try to pursue true endings, but got no patience for plats. Don't know how CAGs go for plats while also hoping to keep up with their backlog. I can barely keep up and I always put the game away immediately after I finish it, just to not lure myself back into the time sink that is "cleaning up trophies".
I platted One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 partially because I found the gameplay soothing and it helped me unwind to just smash things to bits. Plus I can play a game like that while I'm on the phone if it's a particularly dull call and nobody has to know.

I thoroughly enjoyed Criminal Girls. It was one of the games I started and finished without playing anything else. The battle system was unique and made me strategize to an extent. So it wasn't just me spamming the same attacks/heal the entire time. I look forward to #2 as I've had it pre-ordered since it opened. September is going to be a full month of games. I'm holding out on a lot of them for price drops, but Criminal Girls 2 was a sure buy.

...that's exactly what i told myself. It's not so bad if I'm paying $15 per item for shipping!

How'd you end up with $280, though? You buy 3 games?
If I'm going to spend an insane amount of money on a LE, and that LE comes on 2 systems, why not get both. I'm already hurting myself anyways :wall:

I thoroughly enjoyed Criminal Girls. It was one of the games I started and finished without playing anything else.
I love when that happens, but sadly, it's not often enough. But that's when you know your playing a great game, as there are no other distractions, and the game keeps your attention above all else.

I actually just completed Rise of the Tomb Raider(360)last night, and that was the first game in awhile I played in this manner.

"I am Setsuna" may be getting a sequel according to Gematsu. Surprising, if this is indeed true, considering Tokyo RPG Factory recently posted a $2.4 million USD loss. Good to see they apparently have the support of Square to try their hands at another title, if again, this turns out to be a squeal to the game or another title made by the studio.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/square-enix-trademarks-kimi-kiri-no-labyrinth-japan
This is a week late, but I still wanted to point out that the 2.4m USD loss was announced back at the end of March as a fiscal year ending report, not "recently." I am Setsuna released in Japan on 2/18, so the end of March was after less than a month and a half of sales. Additionally the game released here in July, so in March part of that 2.4m USD loss was probably at least part of the localization costs.

For sales here, Steam shows 20-28k owners of the game; at 20k owners and $40 apiece, that's $800k in sales since July. I'd be interested to know how well sales have done since then, but between PC/PS4 here and PS4/Vita in Japan, I really doubt that the game didn't turn a profit once it was given a bit of time to do so.

Looks like most of the Diva X trophies are the same social trash that the first two games got stuck with. The songs are great and super fun to play, but the trophies all being about spending time with the characters is pretty annoying. Such a shame; a list of challenge trophies would fit the game better and would actually feel worthwhile.

I have a funny feeling that Amazon will put these watch editions up for sale as new items rather than send the watches to previous preorders as they should be doing. Guess we will find out soon but I still don't see how Amazon will reactivate all these closed orders that they closed out when they sent the game by itself.

I'll be waiting for that LE pre-order announcement. :)

Any predictions on what that LE will contain? The Blanc+Zombies one had the little Blanc figure, Neptunia VII had the Umio plush, Neptunia U had the dakimakura, Rebirth;3 had the regular mousepad and papercraft Neptune, Rebirth;2 had the desktop calendar, and Hyperdevotion Noire had the wallscroll. Not sure what else they can do that has not been done before. Hmm...

bread's done
Back