Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
ReCore
- Platform(s): XB1, Windows 10 Store
- Genre: Action-Adventure / Third-Person Shooter
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Partially Japanese? I honestly don't know, so I'll just include it since Comcept was involved.
I kind of want this, but I wonder what the odds of it being bad are.

>_> Anyone get their watch super jacked up... i notice scratches and my thing fell off the watch.......I want to complain but I got the ZTD order through someone else and don't feel like bothering them
The scratches are part of the design.

There are issues with missing/broken buttons and dials that isn't supposed to be on purpose though.

I got both of my Zero Time Dilemma watches in. I even cracked one of them open and adjusted the time and date correctly. They're pretty nice. The band is silicone rubber, and the body of the watch itself is fairly heavy-duty steel. This gives it a nice heft, and makes it feel pretty durable. It also does a good job of matching the look of the device from the game. It has more functionality than the device in the game, but that's an extra feature. A watch that only ever showed you the time of day in 24-hour format and nothing else wouldn't be nearly as useful.

I really want to pick up the new re-releases of Dead Rising. But I'm waiting to see some evaluations of their quality. Not all re-makes or re-releases or re-masterings are made equal. Sometimes you get a worthwhile version with improved performance. Sometimes you get the Silent Hill collection. Capcom has been a bit better about this sort of thing, their re-releases of last-generation titles have generally tended to be solid, if not exceptional. But I would still like to see a critical appraisal before dropping my money.

I kind of want this, but I wonder what the odds of it being bad are.
I don't think it'll be bad, but I have doubts that it'll be particularly great. I give it 50/50 on being decent or good. Though the Windows 10 Edition may come with its own set of shitty problems.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05G0Mua0MTE[/media]

The Main Menu screen for Persona 5

The problems never end.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/11/reshipment-limited-edition-zero-time-dilemma-watches-arriving-customers-damaged/

I should get mine tomorrow. Hope it's not a lemon and I can close the case on this disaster once and for all.
wait i thought the scratches on the watch was on purpose to give it an authentic look but from reading the article, "However, when those first sets of Limited Editions first shipped, the watches were damaged in transit and had to be returned to the factory" it sounds like they just salvage whatever watches they could and repackage them back to us and just say that scratches is part of the charm lol

wait i thought the scratches on the watch was on purpose to give it an authentic look but from reading the article, "However, when those first sets of Limited Editions first shipped, the watches were damaged in transit and had to be returned to the factory" it sounds like they just salvage whatever watches they could and repackage them back to us and just say that scratches is part of the charm lol
Thanks. I should probably learn to scroll down...
They actually mention the scratches in the article further down though.

Also, sorry Vinny, couldn't resist. ;D

Cool persona unboxing video.  I'm still thinking of purchasing one of those for the soundtrack and the extras. 

I always wonder why there's so much English on the boxes of these 100% JP games.   The cover of the art book and the game box has only English.  Doesn't that seem odd?

Cool persona unboxing video. I'm still thinking of purchasing one of those for the soundtrack and the extras.

I always wonder why there's so much English on the boxes of these 100% JP games. The cover of the art book and the game box has only English. Doesn't that seem odd?
I ordered the famitsu crystal dx 20th last night, not sure if I want to keep it as it's pretty expensive, but the soundtrack and extras are very tempting.

Think of english over there just like a foreign language would be on some of our media. It's done to look cool and exotic (amongst other reasons).

Cool persona unboxing video. I'm still thinking of purchasing one of those for the soundtrack and the extras.

I always wonder why there's so much English on the boxes of these 100% JP games. The cover of the art book and the game box has only English. Doesn't that seem odd?
eh japan likes english for whatever reason.

Ugh, The Last Guardian was delayed again, this time to 12/6: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/last-guardian-delayed-december-6

Does Sony just not care about their exclusives, so they send both this and Gravity Rush 2 to die against FF XV?
They really need to either bump up Gravity Rush 2's release date or delay it.
Pretty much. I'd buy Gravity Rush 2 over the others but I know I'm in the minority for that
I for one already did pick Gravity Rush 2 over those games. Really hope I'm wrong about this but I just got a bad intuition that GR2 may get delayed again due to the crowded market. Just how Sony pushed Sly 4 back to February and it actually made the top 10 chart for the first week or so because of that.

One last little note: In the five years the game's been out (on Vita) it's funny no one actually (successfully) ripped the game's formula.

I'm the idiot who has FF XV, Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian preordered and won't cancel any of them. :whee:
I have GR2 preordered and was debating on cancelling FFXV after I saw Kingsglaive, but watching the Brotherhood episodes made me change my mind. I need to beat Ico and SoTC before I get The Last Guardian.

I have GR2 preordered and was debating on cancelling FFXV after I saw Kingsglaive, but watching the Brotherhood episodes made me change my mind. I need to beat Ico and SoTC before I get The Last Guardian.
Continuing my idiocy, I want to finish the other PS3 Final Fantasies I haven't played (FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns) and Gravity Rush Remastered before their respective "sequels" release. :joystick:

BTW, I just went back to my preorders...whoops...I DO have The Last Guardian CE preordered. Hmm...

Continuing my idiocy, I want to finish the other PS3 Final Fantasies I haven't played (FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns) and Gravity Rush Remastered before their respective "sequels" release. :joystick:
Eh, given your level of gaming you can probably push through the whole story in six hours or less. Eight to ten including the campaign, all the story DLC, and races (none which are hard if you level Kat up). And knowing you, I think you'll have the platinum trophy by hour twelve. Anyone wanna bet on how fast Vig will get the platinum? :D

BTW, I just went back to my preorders...whoops...I DO have The Last Guardian CE preordered. Hmm...

Eh, given your level of gaming you can probably push through the whole story in six hours or less. Eight to ten including the campaign, all the story DLC, and races (none which are hard if you level Kat up). And knowing you, I think you'll have the platinum trophy by hour twelve. Anyone wanna bet on how fast Vig will get the platinum? :D
I'm not worried about GRR--it's the pesky 50-70+-hour JRPGs that might make things difficult.

I never usually get anything early, but this arrived a few minutes ago:

attachicon.gif
MeiQ.jpg
Got mine today as well, (plus a Planeptune shirt!)

I'm pretty far along with it, but I think it'll be a couple days before I beat it still. Laura is even more godly than the last game. Taurus Master Quartz + Domination Quartz + 50% STR buff you say? Her S. Craft does 150k+ damage you say? To shreds you say. Who needs strategy when you have Laura. Oh and I guess Fie having 100% unbuffed dodge also helps should they get a few attacks in prior to the buffing.

Though in the end, Cold Steel length individually doesn't really quite compare to Dragon Quest VII that's releasing this Friday. Pretty sure the main story alone in that is more than a single completionist playthrough (Not counting multiple playthroughs) of Cold Steel I or II.

I accidentally pre-ordered Dragon Quest VII twice. Not going to cancel the extra copy. I have a friend who that copy would make an excellent gift for.

Like Trails of Cold Steel I? Yeah my little bro finished NG+ last week in the middle of the night. He's already finished Act II of CSII. And I just finished CSII's prologue. :-({|=
I'm pretty far along with it, but I think it'll be a couple days before I beat it still. Laura is even more godly than the last game. Taurus Master Quartz + Domination Quartz + 50% STR buff you say? Her S. Craft does 150k+ damage you say? To shreds you say. Who needs strategy when you have Laura. Oh and I guess Fie having 100% unbuffed dodge also helps should they get a few attacks in prior to the buffing.

Though in the end, Cold Steel length individually doesn't really quite compare to Dragon Quest VII that's releasing this Friday. Pretty sure the main story alone in that is more than a single completionist playthrough (Not counting multiple playthroughs) of Cold Steel I or II.
I'm about 30 hours into ToCS 1 now and am taking my time. It's the first game in along time I'm actually looking forward to a second playthrough. Of course, most of it was due to missing out on a lot of the hidden quests, and some of the books. I'm even more excited to start ToCS 2. Laura and Gaius are definitely my top partners in this one, but I have to say they did a good job in the character development, and gathering Intel on side characters interesting.

I'm about 30 hours into ToCS 1 now and am taking my time. It's the first game in along time I'm actually looking forward to a second playthrough. Of course, most of it was due to missing out on a lot of the hidden quests, and some of the books. I'm even more excited to start ToCS 2. Laura and Gaius are definitely my top partners in this one, but I have to say they did a good job in the character development, and gathering Intel on side characters interesting.
Characters that don't get much development in the first one will get more in the second one. It still could improve in various areas regarding story events, character interactions and most importantly trope usage.

As for going into Cold Steel II after, you could certainly do a second playthrough of the first game first. Mainly to get characters link levels up high enough before heading into the second game. I'm not sure if this is a bug or done purposely but because I either have all the character trophies from the "final event scene" or because I have everyones link level up to a certain point, my first dialogue encounters between the characters acted as if I saw the final event scene with each and every character. It was a bit weird for sure.

Of course if you're playing through on the PS3, you're always welcome to use my saves for Cold Steel II import or for the final event scene trophies (as they can be tedious to obtain).

...And as for missed books and recipes. You can purchase them at the pawn shop if you missed them. Those items will randomly appear there after you've missed them. Sometimes they don't show up and you need to close his shop menu and re-open it by speaking to him again. This doesn't work in NG+ since the pawn shop works off of your notebook and it is already filled out for things you've previously obtained in the first playthrough.

Characters that don't get much development in the first one will get more in the second one. It still could improve in various areas regarding story events, character interactions and most importantly trope usage.

As for going into Cold Steel II after, you could certainly do a second playthrough of the first game first. Mainly to get characters link levels up high enough before heading into the second game. I'm not sure if this is a bug or done purposely but because I either have all the character trophies from the "final event scene" or because I have everyones link level up to a certain point, my first dialogue encounters between the characters acted as if I saw the final event scene with each and every character. It was a bit weird for sure.

Of course if you're playing through on the PS3, you're always welcome to use my saves for Cold Steel II import or for the final event scene trophies (as they can be tedious to obtain).

...And as for missed books and recipes. You can purchase them at the pawn shop if you missed them. Those items will randomly appear there after you've missed them. Sometimes they don't show up and you need to close his shop menu and re-open it by speaking to him again. This doesn't work in NG+ since the pawn shop works off of your notebook and it is already filled out for things you've previously obtained in the first playthrough.
Thanks for the info. I knew that it was important to make sure you maxed everything out before starting the second game. I'm sadly playing this on the Vita, but I appreciate the offer. I might download it one day and play through it on the PS3, lol. Lord knows I'll snag both games once they're cheap enough and own 4 copies. (Six when III comes out, unless they decide to give us the Valkyrie Chonicles treatment.)

So when you had the final scene, it went through each person individually, as if in character order to get each reaction?

So when you had the final scene, it went through each person individually, as if in character order to get each reaction?
There is an event scene in the final chapter and you can select one character to do the scene with based on their link level as well as some other factors on top of it. In total that's around 12 choices possible, but you need to fulfill certain requirements to get their names to appear. Then in NG+ there is an extra option, but that one doesn't give a trophy.

To re-do the scene you have to load up a previous save prior to the event (the game prompts you to save right before it). To change the selection you have available for the scene, you have to have saved before some stuff that takes place prior to the final final dungeon (and thus requires you to re-do the entire final dungeon again). Though if their link level isn't up to a certain point (different for each character), then it won't matter. It takes two playthroughs minimum for everybody to potentially be available.

The event in question will also cause some dialogue after the event to change slightly depending on who you pick.

It's kinda a pain in the ass to do all that for the trophies though. I did it more out of curiosity since I met requirements and was still in normal for my NG+ run which let me re-do the final dungeon very quickly. Especially with the fast forward button.

NG+ is also handled a little bit like Tales games. You get 5 points and can select various things. You can carry over everything without an issue and the extra selectable stuff that you can't afford yet is basically costumes and max bonding points that would allow you to see all character events each time they happen.

NG+ for Cold Steel II is more or less the same, however there is a new NG+ only quest and a boss at the end of that as well. It also has an 'event scene' like the first game too somewhere at the end of the game. I don't know much about that one yet though.

As for importing into Cold Steel II, being level 80 on Rean for the sepith is nice because you're going to need a lot if you want to be optimal (not necessary really unless doing a Nightmare run). The accessory for hitting A0 rank is also really good for quite a long time. The rest of more or less fluff. Just make sure that if you're importing the NG+ Clear Save data that is has the A0 rank in the latest playthrough or it won't count towards that. It's not a huge deal if you don't have it, but you're essentially missing out on the accessory and a fair bit of alternate dialogue from people you've previously helped.

tl;dr You can just read the GameFAQs guide for that scene after beating the game and it'll make more sense because you have the context via the playthrough experience.

There is an event scene in the final chapter and you can select one character to do the scene with based on their link level as well as some other factors on top of it. In total that's around 12 choices possible, but you need to fulfill certain requirements to get their names to appear. Then in NG+ there is an extra option, but that one doesn't give a trophy.

To re-do the scene you have to load up a previous save prior to the event (the game prompts you to save right before it). To change the selection you have available for the scene, you have to have saved before some stuff that takes place prior to the final final dungeon (and thus requires you to re-do the entire final dungeon again). Though if their link level isn't up to a certain point (different for each character), then it won't matter. It takes two playthroughs minimum for everybody to potentially be available.

The event in question will also cause some dialogue after the event to change slightly depending on who you pick.

It's kinda a pain in the ass to do all that for the trophies though. I did it more out of curiosity since I met requirements and was still in normal for my NG+ run which let me re-do the final dungeon very quickly. Especially with the fast forward button.

NG+ is also handled a little bit like Tales games. You get 5 points and can select various things. You can carry over everything without an issue and the extra selectable stuff that you can't afford yet is basically costumes and max bonding points that would allow you to see all character events each time they happen.

NG+ for Cold Steel II is more or less the same, however there is a new NG+ only quest and a boss at the end of that as well. It also has an 'event scene' like the first game too somewhere at the end of the game. I don't know much about that one yet though.

As for importing into Cold Steel II, being level 80 on Rean for the sepith is nice because you're going to need a lot if you want to be optimal (not necessary really unless doing a Nightmare run). The accessory for hitting A0 rank is also really good for quite a long time. The rest of more or less fluff. Just make sure that if you're importing the NG+ Clear Save data that is has the A0 rank in the latest playthrough or it won't count towards that. It's not a huge deal if you don't have it, but you're essentially missing out on the accessory and a fair bit of alternate dialogue from people you've previously helped.

tl;dr You can just read the GameFAQs guide for that scene after beating the game and it'll make more sense because you have the context via the playthrough experience.

I greatly appreciate you typing all of that out. Sounds a lot like the ending for Criminal Girls where you have to have maxed affection, and then you pick one of the girls to become a Knight. You get to do the ending dialog and battle 9 different times, plus a few other endings. Though, it sounds like ToCS is more in depth with your selections, and takes a little more precision on your choices. I'm using the FAQ now, but haven't read ahead to avoid spoilers. Thanks again for the explanation, I just started Chapter 4, so I'm looking to hopefully have the first completion done by this weekend. More than likely will grind level everyone before the Nightmare run.

More than likely will grind level everyone before the Nightmare run.
Level grinding in this game isn't really possible without Shining Poms. So don't forget that the Shining Pom DLC is free until tomorrow if you haven't already bought it. Using it after level 65 makes it simple to hit 80. Without it, leveling to 80 really, really sucks. Latest point in the game you can use it is the final dungeon. After it, you can't use it unless you do NG+ and are in a field (at which point you can re-claim the DLC again and gain even more Shining Pom bait from your DLC tab). There's no real point in going further, even for Nightmare difficulty. I've heard Rean's level will reflect the HP of your enemy in the final battle on Nightmare difficulty, which can make the fight pretty annoying.

NG+ with level transfers for the most part makes Nightmare pretty easy based on what I know.

Guys Sony's TGS conference is 3 am est tonight

Someday I hope that rumored Xenosaga HD collection comes true, I'd like to try the series

And I hope for Nier Automata release date at TGS

NieR: Automata Gets Emotional New Trailer Revealing Japanese Release Date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXS5_YrA9Q

Final Fantasy XV Gets Gorgeous Limited Edition PS4 Slim and New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awtZ4O1JSE0

Danganronpa V3 Gets New Trailer and Japanese Release Date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7O-bRYsY8

Koei Tecmo Reveals Musou Stars at Tokyo Game Show 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGnKY37EKyo

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 launches January 12 in Japan, January 24 in the west

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKAR0uRZZ0

PS4 Exclusive Gundam Versus Announced by Bandai Namco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QaPe6YDFo

PS Vita Exclusive SaGa Scarlet Grace Gets New Trailer and Japanese Release Date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uRGEJsb9Y

Summer Lesson Gets New Gameplay Trailer and Japanese Release Date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qM65dNhFPk

Granblue Fantasy Project Re: Link By Cygames And Platinum Games Announced For PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YlEY0QFBY

Earth Defense Force 5 Announced For PlayStation 4 In Japan In 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWHIy9pR9s

Nioh To Release Worldwide On February 9, 2017

What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? VR Announced

Hideo Kojima Shares More on Death Stranding at TGS 2016

PS Vita Silver and Metallic Red color variations announced for Japan

New Fortune Street Game Brings Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest To PS4 And PS Vita In 2017

That's a nice looking LE console, but unlike the Xbox One S, unless you really need a quieter PS4 (not that I wouldn't understand that sentiment) there's really no reason to get a slim if you have a PS4 already.

A musou mashup? Could be fun.

Now to wait for the inevitable SE store exclusive CE for KH 2.8...

While the thought had crossed my mind quite a few times I never ended up picking up any of the Gundam Vs. games. Depending on the mobile suit list, maybe I'll grab this one though...

Granblue Fantasy seems pretty popular (and has some nice character designs), but as far as I'm aware, still isn't coming over here, so maybe this one will. Hopefully it will have Uematsu's music :)

bread's done
Back