Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was worried that my favorite crazy manager at my Best Buy had moved on since I haven't seen seen him in a few weeks.   Then I stumbled upon this in the store today:

5fcd26f2-7bbc-4495-8c72-c777996fe123_zpsdvxwgb8j.jpg

Nope he's still good!  So I've got a Saturday night deal for a couple of you.  I can hookup two CAG members with one game each.  Cost is $25 shipped through Paypal.   Shoot me a PM if you're interested.  Lurkers and scalpers need not apply; this is for JP niche thread regulars.  Thanks.

I was worried that my favorite crazy manager at my Best Buy had moved on since I haven't seen seen him in a few weeks. Then I stumbled upon this in the store today:

Nope he's still good! So I've got a Saturday night deal for a couple of you. I can hookup two CAG members with one game each. Cost is $25 shipped through Paypal. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Lurkers and scalpers need not apply; this is for forum regulars. Thanks.
You got PM!

I was worried that my favorite crazy manager at my Best Buy had moved on since I haven't seen seen him in a few weeks. Then I stumbled upon this in the store today:

Nope he's still good! So I've got a Saturday night deal for a couple of you. I can hookup two CAG members with one game each. Cost is $25 shipped through Paypal. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Lurkers and scalpers need not apply; this is for JP niche thread regulars. Thanks.
I'm interested if it is still available.

Meant to ask but completely forgot over the houses but as a person whose only ever played DBZ Budokai 3 and DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 1, 2, and 3 with the 3rd being my all time favorite that any other future DBZ game hasn't peeked my interest since, what is the expectation on Xenoverse 2? How was the first one? Does this seem like a huge improvement over the first game? I know there's a demo out soon which I might try out. Have some Videl booty figurine for your trouble.
Awesome! I'm a Bulma guy myself.

Actually I played all the Budokai/Tenkaichi games, except the first one. 2 was my first, so it's always my fav, but 3 and Ten-3 were spectacular. I haven't played Xenoverse yet, but I pretty much watched the entire game front to back from people on Twitch, and I thought it was really technical compared to the older arcade feel. I think Xenoverse 2 will be similar from what I've seen, but a lot more fun and expansive as well. I'd say go with the mindset of playing it like an Action-RPG rather than a fighting game. I remember you said the first time you played FFX it threw you off since you didn't expect that genre.

To answer it more directly, 1st one was great from what I've seen, but might not be watch you expect. 2 looks like a slight improvement, but not a huge game changer.

----

On another note!

Can we finally get Jubei?

Pm sent

Nope he's still good! So I've got a Saturday night deal for a couple of you. I can hookup two CAG members with one game each. Cost is $25 shipped through Paypal. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Lurkers and scalpers need not apply; this is for JP niche thread regulars. Thanks.

Pmed but probably gone by now. Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lookin' out.

Meant to ask but completely forgot over the houses but as a person whose only ever played DBZ Budokai 3 and DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 1, 2, and 3 with the 3rd being my all time favorite that any other future DBZ game hasn't peeked my interest since, what is the expectation on Xenoverse 2? How was the first one? Does this seem like a huge improvement over the first game? I know there's a demo out soon which I might try out. Have some Videl booty figurine for your trouble.
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is easily my favorite DBZ game, especially with the vast amount of character options and I loved the anime-accurate selection of special moves. I still dust off that game and play it. However, I may be in the minority here, but I hated Xenoverse. The entire game was a tedious, repetitive grind and the online play was abysmal. The character moves felt weak to me and the custom character options were unique at first, but the novelty wore off quickly. I definitely will not be playing Xenoverse 2. The game also lacked so many great features from previous DBZ games...the transformations were lame, no beam struggles, and the attacks lacked that trademark DBZ flare.

The only DBZ games that I enjoyed after Tenkaichi 3 were Raging Blast 1 and 2. There were elements I liked about each, and RB2 had an impressive number of characters to choose from--though not quite up to Tenkaichi 3's roster.

I'm also jumping on the "messaged Nothing about SMT" train. Dunno if you all consider me a regular or not, but I'm here pretty frequently and I pop in with a post from time to time.

The Silver Case, a Visual Novel and SUDA51's first game released on Steam in English last week. So did MegaTagmension, which I probably didn't list last week due to it not showing on Steam Upcoming Releases list until its release. Other than that, this is a pretty decent week. A decent variety of genres represented with titles that people are interested in playing. You've also got Gears of War 4 which is pretty big, but obviously not Japanese.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Treasure of a Blizzard (Visual Novel)
- The Silver Case (Visual Novel)
- True Love ~Confide to the Maple~ (Visual Novel)
- Secrets of Me (Visual Novel)
- MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (Hack'n'Slash)

Weekly Releases (October 9th - October 15th)

Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Seems to be digital only. Previously released on the PSP & PC.

Dragon Quest Builders
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Action RPG / Builder
- Demo: Yes.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Ultimate Experience
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter / Stealth
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Includes Ground Zero, Phantom Pain and all DLC. Nothing new about it, just a GOTY edition basically.

Hatsune Miku VR: Future Live
- Platform(s): PS4/PSVR
- Genre: Music
- Comments: Digital only. It's one stage that includes 7 songs or something along those lines.

Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: RPG / Top-Down Dungeon Crawler

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Action
- Online: Yes, competitive only.

DoDonPachi Resurrection
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: SHMUP
- Online: Local only.

Kisaragi no Hougyoku
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

Past Releases
October 2nd - October 8th
September 25th - October 1st
September 18th - September 24th
September 11th - September 17th
September 4th - September 10th

SO can not wait for dragon quest builders.

Im like 60 hours into DQVII and super happy that we are getting some DQ love.

Now cant wait for DQ8 and hopefully Dragon Quest MOnster Joker 3 I would be a very happy man.

SO can not wait for dragon quest builders.

Im like 60 hours into DQVII and super happy that we are getting some DQ love.

Now cant wait for DQ8 and hopefully Dragon Quest MOnster Joker 3 I would be a very happy man.
I am crossing my fingers for a PC port down the road. I think they would be silly to leave a minecraft esque game off the platform that created the minecraft sensation.

Damn I missed out on that deal with the crazy manager. I should really play the DQB builders demo. I just don't want to be forced to buy it in the hopes they'll decide to bring more main series over.

Ugg this week! Pre-ordered The Silver Case LRG physical (they don't make VNs like this anymore), have Criminal Girls 2 and Valkyria Drive this week and near the end of the month possibly World of final Fantasy and Root Letter. Friends also want to play Titanfall 2, so yeah....likely will  be an expensive month with FFXV and Steins 0 next month. I'm sure i'm missing something else...but yeah expensive!

Touhou Genso Wanderer and Touhou Double Focus launch February 7 in North America, February 10 in Europe - NISA LE

2uy17qg.jpg

• Collector’s Box
  • Touhou Genso Wanderer Game for PS4 (Physical Disc)
  • Touhou Double Focus Game for PS4 (Physical Disc)
  • 90-Track, 4-Disc Touhou Genso Wanderer OST
  • 26-Track, 2-Disc Touhou Double Focus OST
  • Full-color, 68-Page Hardcover Touhou Genso Wanderer Art Book
  • Full-color, 16-Page Softcover Touhou Double Focus Art Book
  • Acrylic Standee (6.5″ x 3″ x 2″)
  • Reversible cover

Dragon Quest VII Gets New Trailers for its Accolades and Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8NdzGvDVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddzV8UVQL8

Valkyria: Azure Revolution Will Get a Demo Available to Everyone

Touhou Genso Wanderer and Touhou Double Focus launch February 7 in North America, February 10 in Europe - NISA LE

2uy17qg.jpg

• Collector’s Box
  • Touhou Genso Wanderer Game for PS4 (Physical Disc)
  • Touhou Double Focus Game for PS4 (Physical Disc)
  • 90-Track, 4-Disc Touhou Genso Wanderer OST
  • 26-Track, 2-Disc Touhou Double Focus OST
  • Full-color, 68-Page Hardcover Touhou Genso Wanderer Art Book
  • Full-color, 16-Page Softcover Touhou Double Focus Art Book
  • Acrylic Standee (6.5″ x 3″ x 2″)
  • Reversible cover
Will be getting this since it's Touhou. I still remember playing Touhou 1 through 10 when I first started college. Good times.

This might not matter to anyone besides me (or maybe everyone already knew and I'm the last to find out), but apparently DQ Builders takes a roguelike-ish approach when you progress in the story:

However, there is one crack in the game's foundation that many players may stumble over. As mentioned, the title's split up into several chapters, and at the end of each act, you'll need to teleport to a different part of the world to continue the story. The only potential problem is that when you warp to a new location, you'll lose all of your items, equipment, and stat boosts in the process. In other words, everything that you've worked hard to attain during the previous chapter – barring your acquired crafting recipes – will be wiped away.
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/dragon_quest_builders

This is a bit of a turnoff for me, as I've never liked that aspect of roguelikes.

Those two new Toohoo fangames look so cheap. Is this going to be a thing now? Grab every Touhou fangame you can see and localize it for big weeb money?

Got my copy of Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) in the mail today, a day early. Popped it in the system, just thought I was going to install it and maybe watch the intro. 4 hours later, it's time for me to turn it off to go to bed. Pretty good so far. All the freedom and exploration of Terraria or Minecraft, with all of the charm and whimsy of Dragon Quest.

Hopefully the Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 isn't plagued by game breaking bugs like the first one. As much as I would love for Berserk to get a LE or CE I can't see it happening. 

I've been trying out the Valkyria Chronicles: Azure Revolution 2.0 demo. You can walk around the available HQ areas. Each character is individually leveled up instead of class leveling. The gameplay wheel to pick your attacks or ragnite skills does pause the gameplay. Other then that its a different style gameplay but interested enough for me to get a preorder in to get some Valkyria lore.

I've been trying out the Valkyria Chronicles: Azure Revolution 2.0 demo. You can walk around the available HQ areas. Each character is individually leveled up instead of class leveling. The gameplay wheel to pick your attacks or ragnite skills does pause the gameplay. Other then that its a different style gameplay but interested enough for me to get a preorder in to get some Valkyria lore.
If you have ZERO ability to read Japanese, is it worth even trying or is it just frustrating?

bread's done
Back