Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any updates on S;G 0 yet? Been waiting for months on something but can't find any new news
You just reminded me about my pre-order with Rice Digital. Does anyone know when they'll ship that and Valkyrie Bikini? I preordered both at the same time. Will they hold it and ship together?

Yomawari:Night Alone/Firelfly Diary for the Ps Vita or
Corpse Party Back to School for the 3ds.. Which game is worth picking up tomorrow..? And which game will not let me down as far as holding it's value longer and not making me feel like I just wasted $$$ on something that will be reduced in value quickly..
These are the questions people.. The super computer minds of cheapassgamers need to converge on this.. Maybe.

Corpse Party Back to School for the 3ds.. Which game is worth picking up tomorrow..? And which game will not let me down as far as holding it's value longer and not making me feel like I just wasted $$$ on something that will be reduced in value quickly..
These are the questions people.. The super computer minds of cheapassgamers need to converge on this.. Maybe.
I'm going to say go for Corpse Party just because I really like that game.

I have no opinion on Yomawari since I've never played it.

I'd say go for Corpse Party. Yomawari has both a standard and LE release and I suspect the standard version will drop in price beyond the usual 20% off (with GCU or Prime).

source.gif

Just poking fun here, no offense intended for either party. Sorry if I might have crossed the line and accidentally offended someone. No real thoughts on the matter as both sides provided excellent arguments.

Video Version

People that watch an endless stream of high school life, cutesy, moe, harem, comedy crap are going to sit there and rag on SAO? Just, please. A person could be even more critical of that stuff; it's been done a thousand times before. It's derivative.

People are drawn to things like Sword Art Online, AKA the stuck in a video game genre, because it's different from all the things they've seen before.

There is also a lack of adventure (or adult action tragedy, however you'd like to classify it) anime like Attack on Titan. So it's something new and interesting in the mature category for a lot of people.
.hack would like a word with you.

Speaking of .hack, is there ever gonna be another game/remaster/rerelease? I do not want to pay those absurd prices.
bamco says no there and that they are done with the series sadly. I would love more entries and psn digital releases for the people who don't have the 7 games.

See, I was WAITING on someone to actually bring this up, and this is a valid complaint about a show. :p Everything else is pretty much just commonplace anime tropes anymore. The fact that SAO randomly gets all super-sexual-creepy-rapey for no reason numerous times is why I gave the show up pretty quick. It's an awful plot device, and they keep going back to it from what I know.
The tentacles creep you out but not the out of nowhere "it's not really incest but it kinda is" stuff?

I've never actually watched past season one, but the latter part of the season is where it fell apart for sure. I'm just saying that it gets so much more criticism because of its popularity, because there are a ton of shows that are also have inexplicable harems and sexual assaults and whatnot. The games also seem to almost focus on the harem aspect to a ridiculous degree, so if you hate that part of it, then you won't like the games.

As an aside, I know this isn't true for mmorpgs, but in most traditional jrpgs we usually want to be the overpowered guy who inexplicably has the ability to save the world almost singlehandedly and who is liked by all the side characters. If the show were all about being trapped in an mmorpg as a normal character, what would they show, the endless grinding?

As an aside, I know this isn't true for mmorpgs, but in most traditional jrpgs we usually want to be the overpowered guy who inexplicably has the ability to save the world almost singlehandedly and who is liked by all the side characters.
That's a really overused trope that has gotten quite old. Also part of the reason why I like Atelier games as well as the Trails games. In Atelier you have a single goal and work towards it. You may help/save some people along the way but you aren't out there saving the world.

Trails on the other hand will thrown down in your face that you aren't the strongest person out there. Not even remotely close. Your character is decently strong and grows a bit stronger, but the story could also be resolved at a later date by people much stronger than them if it ever got too out of hand or if you weren't there. Everybody else has their own things simultaneous to the main characters or don't even know what's going on because they are somewhere else in the world. Unfortunately one of the problems I have with the series as well is how they overuse the "You're weak" moments. I don't mind it here and there, but man is it overused. Doesn't hurt much when you have a main character like Estelle who's just all around awesome though.

The other thing you mentioned that I don't really like much is that too many games go for the harem or choose-your-favorite route. They kind of did that in Trails of Cold Steel I & II. It's clear that Alisa is the main characters primary love interest and honestly should've been written that way into the story (It partially is) and then had the private events work around that. They were still good regardless, but I felt it made some of the party members feel... less than they could have been.

Both series are pretty saccharine in their nature, but thankfully nowhere near the ad nauseum levels of Tales of Graces.

EiHxj9O.png

I figured I'd try and post something not SAO related. Also getting more people to play the Trails series wouldn't hurt even though it probably won't happen.

All this talk of bad, popular anime and no one mentions the most recent offender, One Punch Man? SAO was better than OPM, because for all its faults, at least SAO didn't put me to sleep.

All this talk of bad, popular anime and no one mentions the most recent offender, One Punch Man? SAO was better than OPM, because for all its faults, at least SAO didn't put me to sleep.
...What. How does stuff like THIS

262424be8223ff768375a9dc20a078d3.gif
giphy.gif

put you to sleep?!

On the Corpse Party Back to School 3ds Vs. Yomawari Night Alone Ps Vita decision 2016..
You can check by zip code on Gamestop.com for availability of a game and I did that for both games.. Corpse Party 3ds has 86 copies within
100 miles and every zip code around has just as many copies available.. Yomawari Night Alone Ps Vita has Zip-Zero none available in any zip code that I checked. But it's funny as Yomawari will most likely see a price drop before Corpse Party

I kind of am not crazy about One Punch Man myself. Story is kind of nonsense though the animation is top notch. It is alright, but I don't consider it great myself.

Free weekly PSN junk:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
PS4
Additional Scenario 'The God of War, Surrounded' - https://store.playst...AN13SPSNA000004

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
PS4
Steve Aoki Pack (Remix Music Tracks) - https://store.playst...BXV2KEY45DLCSTV

Slightly unrelated, this terrible theme made me think of this thread, always judging. [customspoiler='This one']https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/witch's-lair-dynamic-theme/cid=UP2131-CUSA01736_00-RYMANWITCHSLA15D[/customspoiler] isn't bad for Halloween, but slightly outside of thread scope. And who the hell buys these kinds of themes? Finally, I'm pretty sure this one is what we'd get if Dragon Quest was still named Dragon Warrior over here and it was still the 80s/90s with their "remastered" box art for the west.

EDIT: Screw you links with apostrophes.

EDIT 2: Broke my post on the first edit. Ugh.

That FF XV Beanie hat + Season Pass bundle looks good, but I wish they had one that had the deluxe edition in it. I'd like that Steelbook + movie pack in the Deluxe edition has.

Guess I have to bite the bullet, because getting the season pass + beanie for $8 more than the Deluxe edition is pretty appealing.

An anime isn't bad just because you didn't like it.
This!

Same for games, everyone has different tastes and opinions. Just because it didn't agree with you doesn't make it bad. All the issues and complaints that were said about SAO and all the other anime that were "bad" I don't agree with. I can understand the point, but I can say that for every single game/anime. There's no perfect one and there will always be people who don't like even the best of the best.

It just boggles the mind that a lot of you do actually like "bad" stuff according to the general masses, yet hate on all the popular stuff. I might seem like a hypocrite since I generally don't get into the popular stuff either, but I can't say they are bad just because it wasn't for me. If everyone lists their favorites, I can probably tell you everything wrong with it to the point that it would look like garbage to someone not familiar with it. But that doesn't make it bad though.

Anyone who hates One Punch Man is my enemy. I tried to resist it and then binge watched it in 2 days, then watched the amazing dub. Not sure if I want to read the manga or just wait for season 2

The theme song is the ultimate hype up song.

There are two versions of the manga. ONE does the original which looks fairly bad but has its own charm, then the remake is him partnering with the guy that did the Eyeshield 21 series and matches more closely the look of the anime. If you want to read the manga I'd suggest doing the original version since it's a major arc further along even though ONE has been spending most of his time with Mob Psycho 100 which unfortunately isn't as good.

Having watched One Punch right after Prison School, it simply didn't stack up. Prison School was a much better show in my opinion.

HuGe3Lg.jpg

I am actually really annoyed at just now learning that there is a physical version of Atelier Escha and Logy Plus. That is going to be an absolute bastard to get now.

Also, as for Sword Art, I haven't watched it yet. But, based on some of the actual well thought out criticisms that I've seen (not the comment dwellers yelling on either side about how great or terrible it is), I think the complaints seem quite valid. I plan on watching it soon, though. If the criticisms that I have read about from sources that I trust are present, then the show has every right to be criticized. This is of course compounded by people claiming it's zomg the best animu ever.

I like all kinds of things that aren't very good because I like certain elements or find them interesting, but my liking them doesn't make them inherently good. And, while there is no true objectivity for reviewing something, some critiques are much more valid than others--can't stress this enough--and separating out liking something vs it being actually good is a skill that too few possess.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.

I am actually really annoyed at just now learning that there is a physical version of Atelier Escha and Logy Plus. That is going to be an absolute bastard to get now.

Also, as for Sword Art, I haven't watched it yet. But, based on some of the actual well thought out criticisms that I've seen (not the comment dwellers yelling on either side about how great or terrible it is), I think the complaints seem quite valid. I plan on watching it soon, though. If the criticisms that I have read about from sources that I trust are present, then the show has every right to be criticized. This is of course compounded by people claiming it's zomg the best animu ever.

I like all kinds of things that aren't very good because I like certain elements or find them interesting, but my liking them doesn't make them inherently good. And, while there is no true objectivity for reviewing something, some critiques are much more valid than others--can't stress this enough--and separating out liking something vs it being actually good is a skill that too few possess.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.
Criticizing is fine. Passing judgement is another thing altogether. Especially when you're into similarly weird shit yourself.

Criticizing is fine. Passing judgement is another thing altogether. Especially when you're into similarly weird shit yourself.
Very true. Even this season, I'm having a lot of fun with Keijo!!!!!!!! even though I know some people despise this kind of anime.

Having watched One Punch right after Prison School, it simply didn't stack up. Prison School was a much better show in my opinion.
I love Prison School. Been reading it for years, and the anime was pretty much perfect in its adaptation. How I feel about the manga the last few months is a completely different matter.

I watched One Punch Man and thought it was brilliant two episodes in. Then it just never changes. It's always the same exaggerated setup with the same kind of punchline. The animation is great, the characters are funny in their own right, but just stopped caring about it completely.

Very true. Even this season, I'm having a lot of fun with Keijo!!!!!!!! even though I know some people despise this kind of anime.
Fan service shows will always come out....I honestly don't mind them (I liked Hundred like two seasons ago) although I know I will likely forget about them after I watch them. I will likely watch the first episode of Keijo...heck if it's better than that one where it involved a game or something where they could fly with their shoes and touch poles to score or something....I just know I was bored out of my mind with it.

Since we're still talking about anime, did anyone else see Kizumonogatari Part 2 recently? I just went with a friend last night to see it and it was awesome! So much better than the first part. Plus the little flyer/art print they gave out was pretty nice too.

Since we're still talking about anime, did anyone else see Kizumonogatari Part 2 recently? I just went with a friend last night to see it and it was awesome! So much better than the first part. Plus the little flyer/art print they gave out was pretty nice too.
Yep! I had to drive an hour to see it, but it was worth it. I'm kind of tempted to go again before it's gone.

Speaking of Kizu, part 1 is up for preorder...$70. Thx Aniplex.

Yep! I had to drive an hour to see it, but it was worth it. I'm kind of tempted to go again before it's gone.

Typical Aniplex lol.

Want a movie? It'll be $70.

Want half of an anime (12 episodes out of 24)? That'll be $300.

:wall:

Typical Aniplex lol.

Want a movie? It'll be $70.

Want half of an anime (12 episodes out of 24)? That'll be $300.

:wall:
Yeah, it's disappointing. I cry inside anytime i see Aniplex gets the rights to a series I like.

Theater did have the little poster things for the movie this time, so that was nice. Disappointed I didn't get one when I went to see part 1.

I'm going to Wrigleyville to see it on Saturday when the cubs are playing to see it. Go Sox!

What was the art print they gave out?

Dear god the first hour of World of Final Fantasy is painful. I mean I get having a tutorial but do you really need to explain to me how a fuck ing save point works.

I will play more tomorrow when I am not so mentally bored from that tutorial/story that never seemed to end. Story seems fine but when thrown in with the tutorial, it's a snoozefest.

On the subject on Anime, I been watching Tiger Mask W this season and I am enjoying it. It's a wrestling anime but it's extremely over the top.

The tentacles creep you out but not the out of nowhere "it's not really incest but it kinda is" stuff?

I've never actually watched past season one, but the latter part of the season is where it fell apart for sure. I'm just saying that it gets so much more criticism because of its popularity, because there are a ton of shows that are also have inexplicable harems and sexual assaults and whatnot. The games also seem to almost focus on the harem aspect to a ridiculous degree, so if you hate that part of it, then you won't like the games.

As an aside, I know this isn't true for mmorpgs, but in most traditional jrpgs we usually want to be the overpowered guy who inexplicably has the ability to save the world almost singlehandedly and who is liked by all the side characters. If the show were all about being trapped in an mmorpg as a normal character, what would they show, the endless grinding?
They could of at least showed all the floor bosses and them killing laughing coffin members. Especially since they go oh yeah this happened a while back off screen a number of times.

That's a really overused trope that has gotten quite old. Also part of the reason why I like Atelier games as well as the Trails games. In Atelier you have a single goal and work towards it. You may help/save some people along the way but you aren't out there saving the world.

Trails on the other hand will thrown down in your face that you aren't the strongest person out there. Not even remotely close. Your character is decently strong and grows a bit stronger, but the story could also be resolved at a later date by people much stronger than them if it ever got too out of hand or if you weren't there. Everybody else has their own things simultaneous to the main characters or don't even know what's going on because they are somewhere else in the world. Unfortunately one of the problems I have with the series as well is how they overuse the "You're weak" moments. I don't mind it here and there, but man is it overused. Doesn't hurt much when you have a main character like Estelle who's just all around awesome though.

The other thing you mentioned that I don't really like much is that too many games go for the harem or choose-your-favorite route. They kind of did that in Trails of Cold Steel I & II. It's clear that Alisa is the main characters primary love interest and honestly should've been written that way into the story (It partially is) and then had the private events work around that. They were still good regardless, but I felt it made some of the party members feel... less than they could have been.

Both series are pretty saccharine in their nature, but thankfully nowhere near the ad nauseum levels of Tales of Graces.

EiHxj9O.png

I figured I'd try and post something not SAO related. Also getting more people to play the Trails series wouldn't hurt even though it probably won't happen.
atelier wise there are titles where you save the world just to note. Not all of them but don't act like its above that trope. Not like atelier doesn't have its own nest of problems to deal with.

and yeah harem elements in games definitely aren't helping them in any way. Its better when they make them a side element not part of the story scenes like persona does.

On the note of graces what makes it any worse than atelier or trails? Not saying its a good game writing wise as man it was cheesy and poorly written but all 3 of them have a number of things in common and their own problems. I don't I would say the writing or characters were good in any of them. Ignoring that they are all completely different in style. ateliers sliver of slice of life with item synth and skill compounding being at the forefront, trails cs is all about forced character drama of dried puddles with fie (the only one with a semblance of depth) snarking in the background at how stupid it all is. and tales of friendship is all about protecting your friends and richard wanting to bang assbell.

Wtf.  I just got a email from Bestbuy saying my Corpse Party order has been delayed a whole month.  I've had it pre-ordered since May.  Also the website says it's instock and available for 2 days shipping.  Dunno maybe it's just a glitch.  Didn't they have a similar glitch a month or two ago where the system was sending the same notices but everything was still shipping on time?  Don't know if I should wait to see if it sorts itself out or just cancel it and re-order.

bread's done
Back