Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad Mary Skelter is coming to the west, can't get enough of DRPGs on my Vita, and have been hoping that this particular one gets localized. Will preorder it to show support.

4 excellent IFI announcements. I've wanted both Fairy Fencer F Advent on PC (refused to buy the other one) and Mary Skelter. Never heard of Dark Rose Valkyrie....but it looks good enough.

Hmm so no niche games or vita games for blackfriday so far. Theres still gamestop, they usually have a tales game or something niche on sale.
amazon usually has them on sale as well. Speaking of I wonder what they will have on sale this year. Last year was them clearing out their psp titles and dvd box sets of a couple shows I liked. I got so1 and 2, jeanne d'arc, valkyria 2, Ys 7, lunar and fft for 10$ and of course the famous back ordered for 9 months tactic ogre for 4$ haha. Along with daria, avatar last air bender collection and the first season of korra for 10$ Maybe this year they will clearance out their ds vita or wii games since those would be the next likely targets.

Would be sweet if they clearanced out ps3 rpgs as there's a number of atelier games among others I don't have yet. I'd even buy the ps3 version of zesty if it was 10$

I'm planning to preorder Atelier Shallie Plus LE from NISA. I've never ordered from them before. What do you guys do for shipping? Do I just have to find some fillers to reach $75?

I'm planning to preorder Atelier Shallie Plus LE from NISA. I've never ordered from them before. What do you guys do for shipping? Do I just have to find some fillers to reach $75?
You should also see if you can find any coupon codes or whatever. As I'm pretty sure they have those and people post them occasionally like they do with play asia.

As someone who own every NIS limited edition, I am pretty sure they don't have coupon code
Yeah, same here and I've never seen any codes. They do offer a points system that offers discounts once you build enough, so that may be what he was thinking of. But that requires that you have ordered from them in the past, so a first time buyer isn't going to be able to use points that haven't been earned yet.

Yeah, same here and I've never seen any codes.
Pretty sure the only codes they've had were when they changed their store system and had to transfer over any credit to the new store. Those were technically gift card codes though.

Also unrelated, but I tend to find the cheapest USPS shipping with NISA is usually the best. Packaging is fine and I'm pretty sure it's the most likely one to arrive before its actual release date. Assuming you actually want to play it when you get it anyways. UPS on the other hand rarely ever let packages arrive ahead of schedule if the shipper attached a specific arrival date to the package.

There's also a chance that we'll see the pre-order DLC available to everybody in a temporary store listing error like we have several times in the past with Atelier games. Koei Tecmo seems to be pretty bad at listing store items that are (temporarily/limited) free via codes but not meant to be publicly free. If they charge for it from day one for anybody who didn't pre-order though, I doubt it'll happen.

Thanks. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if NISA does any sales for Black Friday or holidays and find something cheap to bundle with it for the free shipping.

Thanks. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if NISA does any sales for Black Friday or holidays and find something cheap to bundle with it for the free shipping.
Agreed. I'm holding back because I feel their LEs are a bit on the expensive side, or for games I don't want like the Danganronpa or The Silver Case. I'm not sold on Birthday either, since I find Minecraft and similar games a bore.

Untitled66.png
My copy should be here on Monday, so excited! :)

Final Fantasy XV PS4PRO 4k & 1080P Comparison

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C59uuNwzJTQ[/media]

Nothing really exciting this week outside of Pokemon. Where's my new Shantae release damnit.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Culina: Hands in the Kitchen (Simulation / Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (November 13th - November 19th)

Pokemon Sun
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes
- Online: Yes

Pokemon Moon
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes
- Online: Yes

Ohayou! Beginner's Japanese
- Platform(s): Wii U
- Genre: Learning / Language
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

The Herbalist
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Logic Puzzle?
- Comments: Russian indie.

ENIGMA:
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery

Abduction Bit
- Genre: Action / Retro
- Online: Local only
- Comments: Some 1980s port as far as I can tell.

Last Days of Spring 2
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: The prequel, an Otome VN, is already on Steam.

Highschool Romance: Magi Trials
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Past Releases
November 6th - November 12th
October 30th - November 5th
October 23rd - October 29th
October 16th - October 22nd
October 9th - October 15th

Criminal Girls 2 is crazy hard. I finally am getting to possibly near end game and the bosses are very hard. The story for the girls is not explained as well this time. Think it was done better in Criminal Girls 1. Still alright but damn hard!

Criminal Girls 2 is crazy hard. I finally am getting to possibly near end game and the bosses are very hard. The story for the girls is not explained as well this time. Think it was done better in Criminal Girls 1. Still alright but damn hard!
That's one thing I do have to admit that I dislike about a lot of JRPGs is the fact that some bosses are completely unfair regardless of the level you reach. I guess there's a lot to be said for a more difficult boss and not four shot kill an end game boss like the older games. A good example is Final Fantasy 6 where I would get to Kefka and would roll him over like he was nothing. On the other hand, I've gone through Trails of Cold Steel, and am now doing a Nightmare run through 2. Even at lvl 140+ and completely blowing through enemies, some of the bosses are downright cheap and make my team look foolish.

Watching that FFXV video on my Samsung KS8000, i can definitely see the difference. (Watching the video through the native youtube app on the tv and with 100+ mbps download speed.)

The 4k High is noticeably crisper, while going down to the 1080 it is a little bit more blurry on a 4k screen.

However i wonder how much of that is due to the power difference in the ps4 vanilla vs pro and not just the resolution being upscaled for my 4k screen. 

The 4k High is noticeably crisper, while going down to the 1080 it is a little bit more blurry on a 4k screen.

However i wonder how much of that is due to the power difference in the ps4 vanilla vs pro and not just the resolution being upscaled for my 4k screen.
Generally speaking that's the difference from 1080P to 4k in PS4 / Pro. BF1 on the basic PS4 is a blurry mess but on the PRO it looks really sharp. I have no issues seeing targets at a distance in let's say a sandstorm, as opposed on the vanilla PS4 where they're just hard to spot. Period

Btw I'm not saying that's the only difference but it's the most obvious one at first glance.

I haven't been as excited for a new game IP in quite awhile as I am for Nioh.  It looks like a perfect Dark Souls derivative. 

Watching that FFXV video on my Samsung KS8000, i can definitely see the difference. (Watching the video through the native youtube app on the tv and with 100+ mbps download speed.)

I have the same TV! It was one of the few with decent input lag that also didn't spike when HDR was enabled. I'll have to check this out. I've been too lazy to watch the recent comparisons on the TV itself.

I did watch the Horizon Zero Dawn gameplay in 4K on it, and that was great - even for a stream.

Do you already have a PS4 Pro and have you played any of the Pro-enhanced games on it?

I haven't been able to pick up the console itself just yet. Hopefully there will be some kind of deal before year's end.

Project Diva X was listed as having enhancements in Japan. Hopefully they'll bring that patch over here too.

Also pretty hyped to see Gravity Rush 2, Atelier Firis, Last Guardian, and Fate/Extella on the list.

http://gematsu.com/2016/11/list-ps4-pro-enhanced-japanese-games

Ugg I reached another roadblock in Criminal Girls 2. Another boss mopped the floor with my team. So close yet so far. I also hate when you're doing well with regular battles but get mopped by bosses. I know I need to farm and do more motivation to finish off the skills in the current motivation and maybe get a level or 2. Another hour or so grinding....yay.  I'm determined to finish it within a few days or so, but it's wearing me down a bit. I do like all the girls though...so that's something.

Also found it hilarious that one boss spoilers near-ish end game below:

For one of the girls her shadow when trying to overcome her sin was exactly a copy paste of a Criminal Girls 1 boss. It didn't make sense that she had guild members in the fight since the Criminal Girls 1 shadow was a hardcore online gamer, so it made sense there. Just damn reused assets.

Just give me luck cause I feel like I really am becoming a masochist for trying to finish this game. So much grinding needed. I remember grinding in the first but it was mainly at the very end of the game. 

nitro, in CG1 the game prompts you to save before the true ending branching point so that the player does not get locked out of the true ending. Did they retain such player-friendly ending progression in CG2? I haven't started CG2 yet but was wondering if I need to look up the spoiler-free true ending requirements.

I just beat Nep Nep VII on the PS4 and got locked out of the true ending because I didn't want to refer to any guides until the end to avoid spoilers.

nitro, in CG1 the game prompts you to save before the true ending branching point so that the player does not get locked out of the true ending. Did they retain such player-friendly ending progression in CG2? I haven't started CG2 yet but was wondering if I need to look up the spoiler-free true ending requirements.

I just beat Nep Nep VII on the PS4 and got locked out of the true ending because I didn't want to refer to any guides until the end to avoid spoilers.
Maybe I'm very close to that point. I'll update when I get there, but I'm guessing it's similar.

New NISA store stuff. Today is Birthdays the Beginning LE.

Link

af62be81-4152-4fa5-91fb-589b85e698c3.jpg

bday-le_2.png

Limited Edition Includes:
• Birthdays the Beginning for PS4™
• World Guide
• Soundtrack
• "Avatar" Plush (approx. 7.25" tall)
• Navi Charm
• Collector's Box
• Mystery Item (TBA)

$59.99 PS4

Not my type of game but hopefully the new games are something I want to order.

Do you already have a PS4 Pro and have you played any of the Pro-enhanced games on it?

I haven't been able to pick up the console itself just yet. Hopefully there will be some kind of deal before year's end.
Havent picked up the pro yet.

Was waiting for BF ads to leak, but there arent any deals available for it (long shot i know).

ill most likely pick one up sometime before christmas. (Hopefully theirs a bundle/deal to be found for the holidays).

I see the light at the end of the tunnel for Criminal Girls 2. I feel i'm close to the regular ending at least. These boss fights are hard but not crazy hard...and then all of a sudden bam some monster that can take out my whole team in 2 hits. I'm so getting tired of this. I keep coming up to these roadblock monsters and know I can't really grind well and that I finished up at the current motivations so I can't even try for new skills. This is torture and I hope I can finish soon. These hard bosses they put up are getting annoying. I think I need redemption myself after killing myself with this game.

Did TOCS III get announced for PS3/PS4/Vita in Japan?

I caught a glimpse of it but couldn't read Japanese, waiting on you Supplice :lol:

bread's done
Back