Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Killer is Dead was also amazing, I can't really remember a flaw in that game, besides maybe it being a little too short, and the story ending on a cliff hanger.

Yeah, Lollipop Chainsaw was awesome! That game has one of the best soundtracks of all time, perfect match for the game. And it was also co-designed by James Gunn, and waddaya know, it parallels the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy.
Lollipop chainsaw is one of my favorite games of all time (I have a kind of odd list for my favs). Killer is dead was fantastic, no more heroes was amazing. Honestly I think shadow of thebdamned is lower on my list of his games ranked. not that it was bad but definitely not my favorite. His games just all have something for me to love

Lollipop chainsaw is one of my favorite games of all time (I have a kind of odd list for my favs). Killer is dead was fantastic, no more heroes was amazing. Honestly I think shadow of thebdamned is lower on my list of his games ranked. not that it was bad but definitely not my favorite. His games just all have something for me to love
Yeah, his games have really awesome looking designs and aesthetics. I mean there's always one or two obvious flaws to nitpick on, but also a lot of heart and style. The villain designs in No More Heroes is so unique and appealing, a really cool kind of sci fi/punk/anime style. I really recommend the Grasshopper Manufacture Art Book, it only has a Japanese release but there are portions translated into English, and showcases most, if not all of this work.

Yeah, his games have really awesome looking designs and aesthetics. I mean there's always one or two obvious flaws to nitpick on, but also a lot of heart and style. The villain designs in No More Heroes is so unique and appealing, a really cool kind of sci fi/punk/anime style. I really recommend the Grasshopper Manufacture Art Book, it only has a Japanese release but there are portions translated into English, and showcases most, if not all of this work.
I had actually pre-ordered it and have it sitting in my collection. Book was fantastic. Since the book was lacking in a lot of his older stuff I'm pumped for my LRG TSC CE to come in so I can check out that artwork. Kinda hoping for a future fullsized Let It Die artbook as well. I know Suda is trying to plan more remasters but I still just really want them to bring over & localize Michigan so badly

Metal Gear Rising's platinum trophy was so much fun to earn.
I think I got to only about 38% of earned trophies for that game. I enjoyed it, and played it twice, but didn't dare go above "Normal" difficulty. That Armstrong boss fight was just as amazing the second playthrough-and the soundtrack for Rising elevated the game beyond the typical Platinum game.

There will be an Amazon lightning deal for Azure Striker Gunvolt 3ds this afternoon if anyone is interested. I'm hoping it'll be $20! (But doubtful)

There will be an Amazon lightning deal for Azure Striker Gunvolt 3ds this afternoon if anyone is interested. I'm hoping it'll be $20! (But doubtful)
I'm looking forward to that myself, but not paying more than $20, so I might be wasting my time, but we'll see.

Really nice to finally see some Amazon gold box offers for things that people actually want!   I was very happy to pick up Senran Kagura PS4 Endless Summer ver $33.32, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2pack 3DS $20.39, and Digimon Cyber Sleuth PS4 for $19.99 today.  All of them right around the price points I was looking to pay for things I wanted to add to my collection, but not necessarily play in the near future. 

From everybody talking about Let It Die recently, I apparently didn't list it two weeks ago. Though I'm not entirely sure I would've since it's a free to play title. Regardless, this weeks highlight is more or less Stardew Valley sitting at the top. Seriously, buy it. I know there's some interest in Wild Guns as well.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES (Fighting)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist (Card Battle)

- Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel (Fighting)

Weekly Releases (December 11th - December 17th)

Mercenaries Saga 3
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only.

Stardew Valley
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Simulation / Action RPG / Adventure
- Comments: Digital only. Highly recommended if you like Harvest Moon and/or Animal Crossing. Should eventually get online co-op, possibly 2017 sometime.

Wild Guns Reloaded
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Gallery Shooter
- Online: Local only I *think*, but supports online leaderboards.
- Comments: I'm not entirely sure if the multiplayer on this is local or online, but it does have online rankings. You can find the physical NTSC version at playasia and potentially videogamesplus. Otherwise it's digital only as far as I can tell.

Natural - Beyond Nature -
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR-
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: Previously released on the PS4.

VR the Anime Girls Method / 全豚に告ぐ!これで痩せなきゃお前は終わりだ!
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Sports / Minigames / Verbal Abuse?
- Comments: Wat. No seriously, what the hell.

Time Leap Paradise SUPER LIVE!
- Genre: Music
- Comments: Might actually be free to play which I don't include in these lists, but the obvious signs aren't immediately there and I don't fully trust tags.

Moékuri: Adorable + Tactical SRPG
- Genre: Strategy RPG

LoveKami -Divinity Stage-
- Genre: Visual Novel

Past Releases
December 4th - December 10th
November 27th - December 3rd
November 20th - November 26th
November 13th - November 19th
November 6th - November 12th

Last edited by a moderator:
From everybody talking about Let It Die recently, I apparently didn't list it two weeks ago. Though I'm not entirely sure I would've since it's a free to play title. Regardless, this weeks highlight is more or less Stardew Valley sitting at the top. Seriously, buy it. I know there's some interest in Wild Guns as well.
'ay didja mention yugioh's release last week?

'ay didja mention yugioh's release last week?
No because it goes on this weeks listed as games from last week that had sudden releases. Meaning it wasn't listed with a static release date bare minimum at the time when I do my Sunday list. I did forget to put it up on this weeks list as somehow I missed it even though I remember it releasing last week.

this weeks highlight is more or less Stardew Valley sitting at the top. Seriously, buy it.
I might, but he confirmed the Switch would get a release and I generally prefer my Story of Seasons (Harvest Moon) on handheld. Maybe I won't be able to resist though, I do have that 20% off coupon. If only I had realized sooner I had to activate my Slim PS4 account as primary to get the $10 coupon.

Wait how are you guys getting more than 3? It won't let me order more. 

I ordered it last night and got all 3 already. No idea what I'm going to do with them, but whatever. 

Thanks whoever posted it. 

How are you guys getting these watches? I was only able to get two. Do you just add them to your cart and they come up free? I mean, you can't possible have any credit left.

How are you guys getting these watches? I was only able to get two. Do you just add them to your cart and they come up free? I mean, you can't possible have any credit left.
I just ordered 3 last night (shipped today) and had no issue. I had used my credit as soon as they made them available to get my original watch too.

Just putting it in the cart and see if its free. I thought I didn't have any credit left, but apparently I do since the 3 I put in the cart came up as free

I actually ended up having to pay like $1.70 for one of them, with $1 digital credit. Still, 9 is enough to host my own nonary games. Now to find 9 victims friends.

bread's done
Back