Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cancelled my Switch pre-order, since I can wait til there's a bundle. On a different note, I used the spare funds to buy dat Eli figure.

317826.jpg

The Samsung 128 GB micro sdxc cards are $40 on amazon.

$65.60 for a 200gb scandisc

$145 for a 256gb Samsung Evo+

That's what you're looking to pay to upgrade your Switch memory to something still sub-standard in addition to buying the $300 Switch system.
To be fair, I'd rather take this than paying $100+ for 64gb on the Vita. I probably won't be picking up a Switch at $300, but maybe if it goes on sale for around $250 or cheaper. I'm really not expecting much from it, to be honest. It feels to me that Nintendo learned almost nothing and the console feels like it's going to be a combination of the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita. I'm more wondering if it's going to be able to play games at native 1080p while docked since the tablet form is a 720p screen. The Wii U already has a few games that can do 1080p so it would feel like a weird sidegrade or redo of the Wii U if it's not at least a more powerful console by quite a bit.

I watched like half the stream yesterday before I turned it off cause I got tired of them talking about motion controls and shit. I don't think anyone cares about that anymore. Really seems like Nintendo is fine being the 2nd console rather than trying to compete against the PS4 and Xbox One.

It's totally a Wii U sidegrade.  Four years after the Wii U failed.  It's a new system just for the sake of getting a re-launch do-over.  With the added benefit of being able to leave your house with the Wii U gamepad. 

This is almost basically a rebadge Nvidia Shield. I'm pretty sure Nvidia is jumping in joy finding somewhere to dump all those Maxwell Tegra X1 chip somewhere. Not surprise about the pricing at all since Nintendo + Nvidia. We should be glad Nintendo decided to "double" from the Shield 16GB of internal storage lol.
^

Yep, those chips are probably dirt cheap at this point. They're old and Nvidia is really thirsty to put Tegra somewhere as it is.

Maybe they've changed their tune, but most companies seem to get pretty pissed off after dealing with Nvidia for one cycle (PS3, OG Xbox). It's a shame AMD's 20nm ARM chip died.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-20nm-amur-and-nolan-will-probably-not-go-into-production/

Past that for the concept Nintendo was chasing there wasn't much a choice left but the Tegra... Although a newer Tegra was definitely an option.

Here's the Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer in various languages so you can hear the different voice acting. I loved the Japanese version when they played it on the conference last night (I think Hisako Kanemoto is voicing Zelda since it sounded like her so that would be a major plus for me) and after comparing it to the English dub I really hope the US version includes a Dual Audio. Very unlikely but you gotta believe.

English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yIHLQJNvDw

German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9IwYOxL48

French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vumJiWdxQSs

Italian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2tSpCSrPjQ

Russian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdfWY6UtWg

Latin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRto9v9dXno

Spanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofH5ptn5w-A

Yeah that's my big question.   What audio and languages are going to be included in the EU version of Zelda Switch?  specifically the SE I bought on Amazon France. 

Are all languages on the disc, or will it just let you pick one and then download the materials needed? Don't you think all of the EU copies of the game are the same UPC/version?

Past that for the concept Nintendo was chasing there wasn't much a choice left but the Tegra... Although a newer Tegra was definitely an option.
Either Nintendo couldn't wait for the Pascal Tegra, like some reports say, or Nvidia wanted an arm and a leg for them. Won't be surprised if Nintendo went with the cheaper option. Though the Pascal Tegra doesn't look like much of an improvement over the Maxwell ver. on the spec sheets.

Cancelled my Switch pre-order, since I can wait til there's a bundle. On a different note, I used the spare funds to buy dat Eli figure.

317826.jpg
Damn it had to be an Alter figure....so tempted lol.

Seriously??!! I've been looking for info on this and haven't found anything yet. Is the storage upgradable with a memory card swap?

I have a Switch pre-ordered because I want to play Zelda and Mariokart. But man does Nintendo keep getting even more draconian. They will never adapt with the times. This system is basically a re-launch of the Wii U, with specs from 2012.

The lack of storage thing irks me to no end. It's deliberate, and it's insulting. Memory is so cheap these days too. We were getting 500gb PS3s back in 2012. It's just unacceptable.

I couldn't agree more. They've created a $150 cost console in order to sell something at $300 and profit off it. There is nowhere near $300 worth of value in this console. But you have to pay the premium if you want their newest games.
I hate how Nintendo is trying to force digital media down our throats yet they do not give us a viable storage option for that media out of box. 32GB???? You're right, it is unacceptable!

Could be worse. After the announcement, I have 3 days of non-stop freezing rain here. I'm blaming Nintendo for this terrible change in weather. I went out once already this morning before I noped and went back home. At this point I'm stuck inside with nothing but ice outside covering everything. I feel like it's a sign while I wait for the inevitable loss of power at some point.
Snuggle in and stay safe!

source.gif

Anyone know if this gif is from Blue Exorcist btw?

You changed your signature.

Here's the Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer in various languages so you can hear the different voice acting. I loved the Japanese version when they played it on the conference last night (I think Hisako Kanemoto is voicing Zelda since it sounded like her so that would be a major plus for me) and after comparing it to the English dub I really hope the US version includes a Dual Audio. Very unlikely but you gotta believe.
Another reason for me to stick with the WiiU. I can just run a fan patch and get dub only like I did with TMS

My thoughts on the Switch have become my thoughts on the PS4. Only reason I will be buying a Switch is to play exclusives just like the only reason I still own a PS4 is for exclusives.

Plus I mean while $300 isn't the best price, I can stomach $300 especially with my tax return this year.

So, time limit has nothing to do with the story except for when it does. Gotcha. You do realize you had to beat dungeons by X date in both games, right? Granted it was only an issue on Persona 3 & FES on the PS2 if you had shit luck with AI teammates. You can force yourself into a corner, unable to progress. I actually did on my first playthrough of Persona 3 on the PS2 because I only kept one save due to my memory card being full and not deleting old data. Man, those were rough times.
you didn't have to beat dungeon floors by a certain date in p3 that is a fact. Tartarus only requirement is getting to the top at the very end of the good ending path if you choose that one for the final 4 bosses or whatever amount there was. And there's no time limit on that. They only gradually unlock floors after certain check points in the game sometimes has nothing to do with story at all. p4 wise yes they lock dungeon exploration via story dates and that you need to finish them by a certain point or you get reset. That is where the difference lies as unlike persona 4 atelier just throws you a bad ending. Now technically you can add rescue time limits in from p3p but that's optional stuff and only a few are social link related so it can be skipped. As for the ai yeah it sucked and thus why few people rec playing anything but p3p.

you didn't have to beat dungeon floors by a certain date in p3 that is a fact. Tartarus only requirement is getting to the top at the very end of the good ending path if you choose that one for the final 4 bosses or whatever amount there was. And there's no time limit on that. They only gradually unlock floors after certain check points in the game sometimes has nothing to do with story at all. p4 wise yes they lock dungeon exploration via story dates and that you need to finish them by a certain point or you get reset. That is where the difference lies as unlike persona 4 atelier just throws you a bad ending. Now technically you can add rescue time limits in from p3p but that's optional stuff and only a few are social link related so it can be skipped. As for the ai yeah it sucked and thus why few people rec playing anything but p3p.
I will defend the ai's honor and beat p3 fes on insanity mode one of these days.

3rd Annual Licensing Survey Mangagamer. Go fill out what you want localized...and they may do it. I choose Da Capo 3 and Imouto Paradise 2 last year and woot. Also helps if it's not licensed or is a company they already are releasing games for. You also have a chance to win Da Capo 3 for finishing the survey.

Link

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but there will be a lightning deal on the Blazblue Central Fiction LE at 7:35 pm central time

Guilty Gear Rev 2 announced, Baiken and Answer joining the cast!

Game is coming out on PS4, PS3, and Steam! Steam release will most likely be concurrent with the console release this time, which should make a certain Draekon very happy.

Arcade release will be first in the Spring, with no definitive date on the other versions yet. PS4 will get a physical rerelease, others will get a DLC option. It will also be cheaper than a full fledged game.

Maybe it'll go back down to $40 again, thanks.
I'm not even gonna hesitate this time, if it's anywhere near $50 I'll hit the button. Then we can play together!

I hope they continue with DLC updates for Guilty Gear. I think I might've bought it during one of the times it went on sale, not too sure. Was never too big of a Guilty Gear fan, but I liked Blazblue. I bought the first I think 4 iterations of it before I got sick of buying a new one every year. I don't care about the story though, so I guess other people who do would prefer how they did it. 

Baiken looks... attractive.

Definitely maiming her.

EDIT: I accidentally typed "maiming" instead of "maining", but... it actually ends up being a decent pun.

Outside of Gravity Rush 2, I don't think the rest of the thread as a whole is particularly hyped for the rest in general. Also AGDQ is over now and apparently had a pretty hype finale with Undertale which was preceded by the train wreck of a Super Metroid race. Not much else outside of [customspoiler='this creepy gif']
source.gif
[/customspoiler] that NeoGAF seems to get posted in every switch thread.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Hell Girls (Puzzle RPG)
- Unhack 2 (Visual Novel)
- Pleasure in Dream (SHMUP)

Weekly Releases (January 15th - January 21st)

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Does not have orchestral music like the JP version. Also has some new content and does include the voice acting.

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash / Musou

Gravity Rush 2
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Leaderboards/Ghosts for Challenges & Picture Hints only.
- Comments: Trash Bag Queen.

2064: Read Only Memories
- Genre: Adventure / Mystery / Visual Novel?
- Comments: Technically American dev. Digital only.

Hunter's Legacy
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Spanish dev. Already released on PC.

RWBY: Grimm Eclipse
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Online: Yes, co-op.
- Comments: Also not Japanese.

Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
- Platform(s): Vita
- Comments: Supposed to include a new quest about Dusk. Not sure how important it is in the scheme of things.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Online: Local co-op only.
- Comments: PS4 version is supposed to release at some point, but didn't see anything concrete saying it was releasing this week.

Queen Of Thieves
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Adventure / RPG
- Comments: I guess I should list Winter Wolves games on here too.

(VR)西汉帝陵 The Han Dynasty Imperial Mausoleums
- Genre: Exploration
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Da Capo 3 R
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Uncensored version available at Manga Gamer.

Wojdan - وجدان
- Genre: Adventure / Visual Novel
- Comments: Arabic language only. Why am I listing this?

Past Releases
January 8th - January 14th
January 1st - January 7th
December 25th - December 31st
December 18th - December 24th
December 11th - December 17th

There will be a lightning deal on Touhou Genso Rondo Bullet Ballet LE at 2:15pm central time today for those interested!

In case anybody is interested in viewing any of the AGDQ 2017 Speedruns that were had over the last week now that it's over, you can find them here:

http://gdqvods.com/event/agdq-2017/

Someone on Reddit also compiled a list of highlights that is a pretty decent list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5o6jrq/top_highlights_from_agdq_awesome_games_done_quick/

Of those I've seen Ducktales which is a crazy close race and amazing to watch, plus it's short. The Addams Family one is pretty short too and good as well since the runner had to do the entire game without taking damage which made it really tense. Some of the longer ones such as Super Metroid (Rotated 90 degrees) and Ori and the Blind Forest (Reverse Order) were pretty interesting too. I still need to catch up on a few which will take some time, but I definitely recommend checking some out.

Unfortunately this GDQs Super Metroid Race was pretty bad thanks to bad commentary, the crowd being obnoxious as hell and an idiotic outburst from a guy on the couch telling the crowd to get hit by a bus.

A few more amazon deals for later today:

Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls (vita) at 11:40 am central
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max (vita) 11:50am central
Hatsune Miku Project Diva X (ps4) 7:10pm central

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Comments: Does not have voice acting, but does have new extra content.
The North American version has full voice acting, but it's missing the symphonic score.

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star

Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
- Platform(s): Vita
- Comments: Supposed to include a new quest about Dusk. Not sure how important it is in the scheme of things.
Good week for the vita. I've got the LE for both preordered, though my shallie will have to wait till april since I preordered it with rose in the twilight. On another note, I found the PS3 Japanese LE of Atelier Shallie Premium Box at bookoff yesterday for $35. It has the 5 soundtrack cd for their 20th anniversary. Bought it just for that. It's gorgeous.

Well that's fine by me. We won't get it for a long time anyway. Maybe that PS4/vita exclusive label will be replaced with a Steam release soon.

Looking forward to English Fate/Extella tomorrow. Will be getting the PS4 version since the Vita version runs kinda slow and has less enemies, which makes sense but kind of takes away from the fun of the game.

So with all the Gravity Rush 2 stuff around the internet lately, I finally got around to playing my copy of Gravity Rush Remastered and beat it early this morning. It was pretty decent, but the story left way too many things open at the end which was a bit disappointing so I more or less left with confusion when the game just sort of ended. Hopefully the sequel gets around to answering those even though I'm sure I know the answer to a few.

Gameplay wise it was pretty good, but I think I would've preferred a button that would allow me to go into a more direct type of control movement so I could move a little more freely in aerial fights for positioning/dodging instead of relying solely on the gravity/kick/evade button. I think there also should be been a button to reorient your feet towards the way the gravity is naturally pointing without reverting back to normal gravity as I think it would be a good way to quickly remember which way is up/down for the times you may lose your bearings for however brief of a time. Other than that, hitboxes for many environments and objects are too big and I bounced off of them more times than I could count when I shouldn't have. That's not to say that there weren't times when it was more my fault than the games. I also managed to clip into the environment about half a dozen times throughout the game which forced me to quit to the menu and the continue losing recent progress that was rather annoying.

I'll likely get Gravity Rush 2 at some point, but not right away. Now I see my trash bag comment about her costume from that one picture isn't terribly far from the truth. Her new costume in the second game definitely does look better than the first one though, which had looked even more like a trash bag.

Finally I need to figure out what to play for the next 9 to 10 days until I can play Berseria. I'm not really liking Exist Archive, so I don't think I'll play much more of that anytime soon.

bread's done
Back