Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone know it's Juvia, duh!

My :vita: Atelier Shallie+ came in today, I can't bring myself to open it..

q5zYxmz.jpg
+1 unless she's in her phantom lord costume as that outfit with the rolled up hair is just awful. Though my current favorite is brandish. Her trolling skills are easily deserving of main character status.

Names Cana, but you can call me Daddy Issues.
and in need of a liver donor. people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones though. You like lucy after all and she was the original daddy issues. Ironically they only addressed said issues after they wrote him off.

Alcoholic chick with a barely there badass father? Interesting choice.
Some people like to set their goals realistically for what they can obtain :B

These guys get it. Juvia and Levy are top tier, lol.
also +1 for levy. Her magic is cool and underutilized. Its a shame her and frede don't get more screen time as I like their fights due to how creative they can use their magic.

Anybody else's preorder for Gravity Rush 2 get delayed on Amazon? With prime it says it won't be there until the 27th, and that is ridiculous. 

So is the Gravity Rush 2 pre-order bonus only available in Amazon? I was planning to pre-order it on Best Buy with the Visa checkout promotion but I don't see the pre-order bonus in the games description.
Friendly reminder that Raven's story DLC will be available for free in March

Anybody else's preorder for Gravity Rush 2 get delayed on Amazon? With prime it says it won't be there until the 27th, and that is ridiculous.
prime is only worth it for the discount. They rarely ever get things shipped to you in a timely manner. The 2 day shipping is misleading. Its only for 2 day delivery after an item ships. Doesn't mean an item will get shipped 2 days after ordering. I've preordered games the day they started taking them and didn't get them shipped till 2 weeks or more after release. People don't order from amazon expecting their ce's to come in good condition or games to come on time.

That's bizarre, because every time I pre-order through Amazon, at least with Prime, it arrives the day of release. And I order a lot through Amazon.
Same. I have Prime and have next to no issues with shipping. I get maybe one package a year late by a day or two that's actually Amazons fault. I don't actually have Gravity Rush 2 pre-ordered though, so I can't comment on that.

I just noticed Aksys is localizing Tokyo Xanadu with the eX+ announcement and not XSeed like usual with Falcom stuff.
Yeah, XSeed probably has way too much on their plate to have localized it anytime in the next year or two. I'm hoping Aksys does a good job localizing it so that it's at least remotely comparable to XSeed as the game as a lot of text similar to the Trails games. Meaning that most NPCs if not all will have a lot to say over the course of the game.

EDIT: Also a random [customspoiler='Tokyo Xanadu eX+ screenshot']
20161030203245.png
[/customspoiler] I nabbed from NeoGAF that has someone familiar to those who've played Trails of Cold Steel. No relation obviously, but they have the same name.

prime is only worth it for the discount. They rarely ever get things shipped to you in a timely manner. The 2 day shipping is misleading. Its only for 2 day delivery after an item ships. Doesn't mean an item will get shipped 2 days after ordering. I've preordered games the day they started taking them and didn't get them shipped till 2 weeks or more after release. People don't order from amazon expecting their ce's to come in good condition or games to come on time.
My Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 'Noble Phantasm' Edition came in a bubble mailer.
Surprisingly, it wasn't damaged. (not surprise it came in a bubble mailer)

Originally, I wanted to order the game from Best Buy but it was never in stock (I probably missed the 1 hr window that it was live)

My Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 'Noble Phantasm' Edition came in a bubble mailer.
Surprisingly, it wasn't damaged. (not surprise it came in a bubble mailer)

Originally, I wanted to order the game from Best Buy but it was never in stock (I probably missed the 1 hr window that it was live)
Same here! Mine came in a bubble mailer and was absolutely destroyed, there were tears and rips all over the bubble mailer and I was prepared to send it back. However it was in pristine condition with the exception of a slight ding on the lower left corner on the back which I can live with.

The Noble Phantasm edition was never in stock at BBY so you made the right choice.

EDIT: Meant to say the bubble mailer in came in was destroyed.

Same here! Mine came in a bubble mailer and was absolutely destroyed, there were tears and rips all over the bubble mailer and I was prepared to send it back. However it was in pristine condition with the exception of a slight ding on the lower left corner on the back which I can live with.

The Noble Phantasm edition was never in stock at BBY so you made the right choice.
Mine came in a small box but I had 2 other tiny add-on item with the package. I don't order enough CE/LE games from Amazon to really comment but I know Best Buy does the exact same shit. I know my Bravely Second CE got absolutely destroyed because they sent that in a bubble mailer.

I know Supplice posted this earlier, but Nioh's Last Chance Trial is available to download/preload now. It goes live only this Saturday and Sunday to earn rewards for beating it that transfer over to the main game. Here's an excerpt from the PSBlog on what you get:

"For those who have the skill to make it through the Last Chance Trial, a number of extra rewards for the final game await you. Beating the Main Mission will net you the Ogress Headgear, whereas completing the Twilight Mission will give you a last chance to secure the Mark of the Conqueror and Mark of the Strong from last year’s Alpha and Beta."

So basically up to 3 different looking headgear, two of which were rewards from the alpha & beta demos.

On another note, it looks like we're getting Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception this spring and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth this fall from Atlus. They're Visual Novel / SRPG hybrids and both will be physical/digital releases for the PS4 as well as the Vita. Kind of surprised we're getting one, let alone both to be honest. It looks like Mask of Deception will have an edited scene because of the depiction of physical discipline to a child.

On another note, it looks like we're getting Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception this spring and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth this fall from Atlus. They're Visual Novel / SRPG hybrids and both will be physical/digital releases for the PS4 as well as the Vita. Kind of surprised we're getting one, let alone both to be honest. It looks like Mask of Deception will have an edited scene because of the depiction of physical discipline to a child.
It is quite surprising. I'm guessing they do make a decent amount for there effort even though it's quite niche? I just hope this increases the chance they will localize Dungeon Travelers 2-2.

So basically up to 3 different looking headgear, two of which were rewards from the alpha & beta demos.
Uh, another one?? I already got the alpha and beta reward. I don't have enough space on my PS4 for another game right now....lol.

I'm very happy that  Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth are being localized. Just know that this is a sequel to the original PC Utawarerumono game. It is available fan translated so I'll seek that out before the localizations come out. I'm also excited that God Wars has a release date now. I likely wont get it on release cause of job uncertainty, but that and Summon Night 6 and these 2 Utawarerumono games are making 2017 a great year for turn based strategy games.

I also will be giving some opinions on Da Capo 3 likely sometime this weekend. I will be playing that one right away.

man the P5 soundtrack sounds amazing if you listen to this 10min compilation. This has got to be one of the best video game soundtracks ever. We all know how we already feel about P3 & P4. The new one definitely seems to go above and beyond anything with all of the samples that I've heard so far. I think I'm just going to have to drop the 100 bucks and buy all three soundtracks from Amazon JP: P3, P4, and P5.

Also..Lucy Heartfilia, soooo hot. The English voice actress (Cherami Leigh) does a great job with her appeal.

I refuse to use the word "waifu" but I already know who my favorite P5 girl is going to be: Makoto Niijima. Liked her the most even before the reveal of her voice actress.
So I'm terrified to listen to the compilation link. I love the P3 and P4 soundtracks. I play them when driving, running, lifting, cleaning, just about anything. But it not really the type of music I would normally listen to. I think I like the music because of the feelings they evoke from the game. In a vacuum, I'm afraid that the P5 music would just be "ehh."

As an aside, when I worked for an electronic company, in their "International" (read Japanese) automotive area, one of the ladies, who was taking Japanese thought that the 'Japanized' version of my name (Jeremy) would come out "Cherami" (Cheer-a-mi). Random 90's memory.

More Fire Emblem is good. Guess in 2018 i'll have my Switch. Hopefully the SMT game will be done by then too. Also hopefully there will be a BF bundle....would be hilarious if it's just MK8 again.

I will be getting and playing all easily. These games are always quality....even the mobile game. I always play F2P games until the F2P aspects outweigh the fun and it turns into an ultra grind. I intend to do it for this one as well!

Also first years for systems are rarely ever good. I remember not caring much for the early PSX, PS2, PS3, PS4, 3DS...etc... games around release. I bought the PS4 on release and was pretty much like so I'm stuck with just these type of games. Little choice and really it was until Infamous came out and later Bloodborne that the PS4 was really starting to go in stride.

Switch would be the same with me getting Zelda and possibly Mario at the end of the year.....maybe FE Warriors. But that would be it. I'm sure they will all be good games, but if I wait till next year.....I'm sure the number of releases will be way more awesome. Honestly though with how much talk about the Switch, the software releases for the first year look very decent. Maybe not great but very decent. I was scrounging for PS4 games that first year easily, and this looks a lot cleaner for the Switch. Still wont make me buy the Switch right away, but there are a lot of first party goodness this year at least.

That is a lot of FE in a relatively short time frame. I realize KT is making FE Warriors but that's still 2 actual FE games in less than 18 months. Haven't done that since Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn. 

Just the way I like em :twisted:

But she was granted one of the 3 great Fairy magics for a reason, so she has huge potential
true with the addition fairy glitter she's at least got a decent attack now. though when she did combo magic with lucy like juvia in the past their combo was pretty potent.

Huh, the character artist for Fire Emblem Echos is the same character artist who did the Atelier Dusk series (Hidari). Also surprised to see a remake/reimaging of Fire Emblem Gaiden. That is probably the last game in the series I expected to be remade. Especially with them bringing back the gameplay features that were unique to that game in the series.

I remember a time when Fire Emblem localizations were accidentally announced by Reggie as an afterthought. Oh, how far we've come.
Nah, you can say that after Nintendo actually does something useful with Metroid.

Looks like that Fire Emblem Heroes game will be another mobile game that ends up taking my money.....

Gotta summon the best girls.

I was so excited that my systems broke at work so I was able to watch the direct.

Super excited about the new Fire Emblemness and added more games to my 3DS collection and making the switch a must buy for when Fire Emblem game is released and SMT.

A little sad that it is coming to Android first.

I hope its not a Pay to Play game and more like Pay one price and get the game.

A little sad that it is coming to Android first.

I hope its not a Pay to Play game and more like Pay one price and get the game.
Nintendo announced on their twitter that it will launch on iOS and Android on the same day :) Guess they didn't get that finalized for the direct.

Based on the footage, it's going to be a free to play gacha style game, definitely not a one time purchase. How free to play friendly it will be is the big question now.

Well, the next Overwatch event starts next Tuesday. That came sooner than I thought it would. This event will be themed on the Chinese New Year which takes place on January 28th.

Direct Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/821900007649329153

And [customspoiler='Overwatch Korea's twitter']
OCF0pMT.jpg
[/customspoiler] used D.Va in her new skin for their little intro video. Asian characters such as Mei, D.Va, Hanzo and Genji are pretty much guaranteed to have a skin. There's some speculation based on a small image found in-game that Winston may get a skin for Sun Wukong, the Monkey King.

EDIT: Switched Overwatch Korea's twitter link to a static image of the skin.

I like the gamecube virtual console I've made for myself on my original Wii a lot more.

If N really wanted this to happen in the Switch's future, why wouldn't they give you more than 32gb* of data? If you buy Zelda digitally it takes more than half of the available data on the Switch, too.
I thought it wasnt happening due to no analog triggers. Most likely have to buy a separate controller or controller (joy cons) im calling it now
No new race tracks in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Joy-Con Grip included with Switch doesn’t charge the controllers

Reggie on lack of bundled game with Switch, approach to pricing, 1-2-Switch and Wii Sports comparisons

tumblr_myng3zBWPC1srbyoyo1_400.gif

As much as I love the inclusion of Splatoon in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe asking for $60 with no new tracks is crazy. I guess I'll forgive them IF they include Block Fort and Double Deck as part of the new Battle Mode stages. Those two stages were too ahead of it's time in Mario Kart 64 but now with 16 players online they need to make a comeback (yes I know Block Fort was in Mario Kart DS but it didn't have online so it was wasted potential).

It's from Manabi not so Straight

1200241025920_zpsmxcn08iy.jpg

Lyn started the Fire Emblem waifus craze before Fire Emblem became all about waifus so if she's not included it'll be an insult to her.

I always have a hard time reading your posts, there's just so many lovely distractions that I can't focus on your post. It's like when NeoMonk had his Overwatch gifs.

bread's done
Back