Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Persona 5 English DLC scheduled:
http://atlus.com/persona5/dlc.html
Persona 3 Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: April 11, 2017
Price: $6.99

Persona 4 Costume and BGM Special Set

Orpheus and Orpheus Picaro Set
Price: $2.99

Thanatos and Thanatos Picaro Set

Izanagi and Izanagi Picaro Set

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: April 18, 2017

Persona 2 Costume and BGM Special Set

Kaguya and Kaguya Picaro Set

Persona 5 Swimsuit Set
Date: April 25, 2017
Price: FREE

Shin Megami Tensei IV Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4: Dancing All Night Costume and BGM Special Set

Catherine Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: May 2, 2017

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Costume and BGM Special Set
Ohhh even know Persona is inflated with DLC how the times changed, hopefully they makes A Full Version years later

So, uh. I bought that $50 Steam Gift Card for $45 on Amazon's Lightning Deal the other day. I received a pack of 10 $50 cards...
Spend $45 get $450? Not too shabby ;)

First Persona 5 English DLC scheduled:
http://atlus.com/persona5/dlc.html
Persona 3 Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4 Costume and BGM Special Set

Orpheus and Orpheus Picaro Set

Thanatos and Thanatos Picaro Set

Izanagi and Izanagi Picaro Set

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 2 Costume and BGM Special Set

Kaguya and Kaguya Picaro Set

Persona 5 Swimsuit Set
Price: FREE

Shin Megami Tensei IV Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4: Dancing All Night Costume and BGM Special Set

Catherine Costume and BGM Special Set

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Costume and BGM Special Set
Hmm, pricey. Too bad the japanese DLC won't work with it. Still no mention of any of it being given free w/ a pre-order, so I guess no pre-order bonuses :(

Man that's a lot of DLC already for Persona 5.
Well, it's been out for quite some time in Japan, so it's to be expected.

Compile Hearts is asking the very important question:

Boobs or Butts? Every Vote Counts! :p
The answer is clearly, both.

giphy.gif

So the director for Nier Automata, Yoko Taro is going to be at a panel on Sunday at Pax East this year. I'm definitely going to attend that panel and get a picture taken with him and the 2B cosplayer they have there. Hopefully I can get him to autograph my Nier game as well. I'm looking forward to that.

SE_pax_east_2017_east_newsletter_05.jpg
cool, didn't know. I'll probably go check it out than.

Also, wow - Back in January I bought a PC mouse + Anima CE from Best Buy with the Visa checkout promo. I canceled Anima and they took back the $15 discount from the mouse I've had for two months now by charging my card for it, so even if one item ships I guess you're not safe if you cancel the others. I would've just kept the $30 CE if I knew they were effectively going to charge me the $15 when I canceled. o_O

Did you guys see the next update coming for Fire Emblem?

Additionally, the game has updated with a new notice revealing that its “Inherit Skill” feature that allows you to pass skills from one Hero to another, will be available in the game on March 16, 2017. The Inherit Skill will allow you to take up to 3 skills from a Hero at a time, and it will require x1.5 the amount of SP.

Read more at LINK

I vote for boobs myself...massive, DFC or anything in between.

Also on a less serious note, I'm not as happy about the turn based strategy RPG games being delayed to May/June. Now it has God Wars, Summon Knight 6, Utawarerumono and Fire Emblem: Echoes. I'm very likely just getting Summon Knight 6, and waiting for the others to drop (Wont happen quickly for FE!). Honestly i'm extremely iffy for God Wars now as it is. Also doesn't help Mary Skelter is coming out around the time too...and that I've been waiting for (never thought i'd say that about an IFFY game!).

Edit: Read some Summon Knight 6 reviews...yeah I'm passing on that. Sounds like a mix between an original story as well as a massive crossover with the previous Summon Knight games characters. Story sounds weak and battles way too easy. Pass for now. On that note Utawarerumono gets my vote. 

sorry, but legs > everything. (ass is kind of a natural extension of that).
Haha i'm a leg man myself....but boobs are a nice second...along with everything of the face third (I like lips and eyes). Is it pretty sad when you've seen enough kpop videos to see nothing but legs watching them. Serious sensory overload every time I watch another of those.

On another note after playing Yakuza 0 more and more (btw whoever earlier in the thread got the plat....you're crazy and I wonder how long it took!) it really has excellent depictions of all the characters. I mean all types young, old...anything...just excellent. Makes the environment feel very realistic and nice. When everything is so anime coming from Japanese games, it's nice to get realistic depictions of people. Course all the anime art in the game just makes it more authentic. Great games and yes I did spend about 2 hours doing the telephone club yesterday.....I did finish off those substories at least haha.

In FE HEroes news, I rolled another round and got a 4 star Seliph and 5 Star Marth.

As I watched my bf role a 5 Star Leo and Elisa. I already had Elise but he got two 5 Stars.

I know have 4 5Star and very happy about it.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on PS4 came in today, totally forgot this was a thing :whistle2:
X4JCAUP.jpg
Does it have a manual or double sided cover?
I wish they made a new art piece for the cover instead of just using the old art book's cover.
still nice thou.
also japan ps plus had a great month.

Does it have a manual or double sided cover?
I wish they made a new art piece for the cover instead of just using the old art book's cover.
still nice thou.
also japan ps plus had a great month.
comes with a 10 page comic. no manual. no double sided cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5IqAjdh3k

Well, I beat and somehow managed to platinum Horizon: Zero Dawn. It was a lot better than I was expecting. It doesn't really fit this thread, but I'll briefly give a short blurb on it. For me, it had some issues/annoyances such as:

• Inconsistent movement. Hills make you go a little slow when climbing them. Jumping is faster, sadly.
  • Sometimes small objects on the ground can stop you in your tracks, which is bad when you're fighting and moving backwards rather than forwards. Caused me to get killed a couple times because of it. It's also inconsistent on what will cause this as well.
  • Second half, the dialogue scenes had animation cuts from dialogue window to dialogue window that was rather jarring. I don't remember it being that present in the first half.
  • Facial expressions were a little stiff/awkward in my opinion. Could have used a wider range of facial expressions too.
  • Really needs more variety of enemies. Once you learn how to kill them, they become really easy. The only way to make it hard after that is to throw simultaneous enemies at you. Some slightly re-skinned types with some extra features would've been nice that had some different move sets too I think.
  • Human enemies are pretty bland with only a couple of real variations of them. AI is pretty much the same across all of them.
  • Sunglare out the ass. If you're traversing an area that makes you look towards the sun, it's really bad. Games need to stop this shit except with transitioning from a dark/artificial light area.
  • Resource & modification inventories are small, even after all the upgrades. There could have been some improvements to the inventory system as well. Also inventory upgrades should have focused more on machines than wildlife for things. Why do I need a Fish Skin to upgrade to the max capacity for an ammo type?

Despite that, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit as well as the story (Man vs. Machine). The game also looks really good and probably even better on a PS4 Pro with almost no instances of noticeable framerate drops. The final missions was rather fun too as you're given a new toy to play with and earlier sidequests will have a slight effect on the mission too. Final boss was unfortunately a bit of a joke. Especially if you found all of a certain type of item from various main missions to obtain the best defensive armor in the game.

I'd really recommend picking it up at some point if the gameplay interests you at all. Once you get the skills, it's fun sprinting, sliding and stealth stabbing things. Among other things.
I played probably 20-30 hours, doing everything on the right half of the map, missing only one encounter. My thoughts:

I didn't have the weird movement issues you did. Jumping is faster going up a steep hill, but that's all I noticed.

I did get stuck on corpses, but nothing else that I could remember.

Facial expressions didn't match what they said, which did bother me a lot.

Different enemy loadouts would have been nice. For the most part, you just need two ammo types. Maybe 3. Out of the dozen plus.

fucking finding 5 racoons total and still have 0 skins.

Modification inventory is too small. Resources are fine, once you realize how small stacks of similar items are.

Haven't played for a couple of days cause I've been too busy~

I was happy to play my first super robot wars game in English (not counting on for the gba) when they released the Asian edition English sub for super robot wars v. It is completely in English save for the VA. It is a really nice game so far.

I was happy to play my first super robot wars game in English (not counting on for the gba) when they released the Asian edition English sub for super robot wars v. It is completely in English save for the VA. It is a really nice game so far.
Cool I just got mine from play-asia myself. Going to finish up Yakuza 0 before I work on any other games though.

bread's done
Back