Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
zRsPsUB.jpg

PlayAsia PS4 2 for $30 & VITA 2 for $20 Sale

I'll admit, playing DOA: Ultimate around '05 with college buddies was a blast. But I get much more into fighting games now than ever before thanks to online multiplayer.
online mutiplayer is the best part of shooters and fighters. i love the challenge of facing someone better than me.

Anyone play the Japanese DQH2? Is it difficult to get through if you aren't fluent in Japanese?
I've played the demo and can't read a lick of Japanese. There was a lot of text explaining controls but if you had a translation for that I'm sure you could make it through.

How very Japanese anime hero of you.
lol... i just think it's fun when you play against some high caliber players and your main goal is to not be perfected; what's that saying in the fgc "PERFECT DENIED". even more satisfaction if you could take a single round, but my original point was you don't get better by playing against the ai (even on the highest difficulty setting), you get better by playing against better players.

who is your avatar of?
an original character as far as i can tell. illustration by hiroyuki takahashi.

q1mHxRh.jpg

C6OQh0M.jpg

:ps4: Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 'Noble Phantasm' Edition $39.96

It's been hovering around this price for a while. Usually I'll wait until it goes lower, to maybe the lowest price point, but its starting to go up again judging by camelcamelcamel. So probably best to just cash the chips in and get it for this price before it suddenly shoots up. Probably the lowest price point too, cheaper than the lightning deal a few months back.

It's got that poster with Caster's huge bosom which I'm still not sure if it's proportionally correct... maybe dsman3717 will know.

lol... i just think it's fun when you play against some high caliber players and your main goal is to not be perfected; what's that saying in the fgc "PERFECT DENIED". even more satisfaction if you could take a single round, but my original point was you don't get better by playing against the ai (even on the highest difficulty setting), you get better by playing against better players.
I couldn't help, but comment. I immediately thought of Bleach where Ichigo would train and train to fight the hardest opponent, or they wouldn't fight unless both parties were 100%. I understand, though. Whenever I was younger and played sports, I always went against the guys older than me. That way whenever I was against people my age, I dominated them. Same really goes for games and getting your skills up.

:ps4: Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 'Noble Phantasm' Edition $39.96

It's been hovering around this price for a while. Usually I'll wait until it goes lower, to maybe the lowest price point, but its starting to go up again judging by camelcamelcamel. So probably best to just cash the chips in and get it for this price before it suddenly shoots up. Probably the lowest price point too, cheaper than the lightning deal a few months back.

It's got that poster with Caster's huge bosom which I'm still not sure if it's proportionally correct... maybe dsman3717 will know.
Yup, that poster of Nero and Tamamo realy shows off Tamamo's....qualities. lol

That's a pretty good price though for the extra stuff that comes with the game as well. Not sure if it will go down anymore, but I didn't expect it to drop almost half off so soon.

I have a question for those that play Fire Emblem Heroes. I'll preface it by saying that I'm not doing anything until the skill transfer stuff comes out.

Now then, I have a handful of duplicate 4 stars and am wondering whether it would be better to make them +1 4 stars, or plan on bumping them to 5.

Chrom, Tiki, and Boy Robin (×4) are the best ones in that list.

Tomorrow's Amazon Lightning Deals (All times in Eastern Standard Time)

:ps4: Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X 9:11 am (This game always felt a bit lackluster to me, maybe Future Tone is better since PDX did come out relativity early in PS4's lifespan)

:xb1: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Collector's Edition 9:36 am (Last Lightning deal for the PS4 ver. was $77, so look for around that price) 

Also, I highly recommend the DBZ XV2 collector's edition, get it even if you don't have an Xbox One and just sell the game. The statue is absolutely amazing, best video game collector's edition figure by far. Before this one, I would say Tales of Xillia (Millia figure), and Fate/Extra CCC (Bride Saber figma) were the best I've seen and this is like 100x better than those. The statue is gigantic, and super well detailed. In fact, Gamestop sells it separately for $100. 10 year old me would've loved this statue, and I would've put this one up, but it doesn't go along with the rest of my waifu figures (EdJericho can attest to that). Goku was never really into women either... I have no idea how Bandai Namco could even afford to sell the CE for only $150, along with a steelbook and artbook. I have a theory where they decided to lose money on this one, just to get people to buy the other Master Stars figures that they released alongside the Goku one.

Long story short, get this CE! The statue's quality is so good, it's as if Shenron blessed it himself. Someone out there found the 7 dragon balls and wished for the best CE statue ever made.

I have a question for those that play Fire Emblem Heroes. I'll preface it by saying that I'm not doing anything until the skill transfer stuff comes out.

Now then, I have a handful of duplicate 4 stars and am wondering whether it would be better to make them +1 4 stars, or plan on bumping them to 5.

Chrom, Tiki, and Boy Robin (×4) are the best ones in that list.
The +1 you get from merging a 4* guy goes away if you ever decide to promote him to 5*. Plus you can only +1 equal rarity characters. Only 4* + 4* or 5* + 5* to get a +1. So if you're keeping him at 4* then sure go ahead and +1 him as many times as you want. Otherwise it would be better to dismiss him for the feathers if you're not going to use the character much. The +1 just adds two stat points from what I have read. It doesn't seem useful to me unless you are merging a 5* onto a 5* and the one you're keeping has already shown good stat growth. Hope that helps.

:xb1: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Collector's Edition 9:36 am (Last Lightning deal for the PS4 ver. was $77, so look for around that price)
Wow, that figure looks incredible--I'd definitely spend $77 for that! One of my issues with many anime figures/statues is that they're so insanely overpriced and so small, but this one's impressive.

Can't believe I missed that PS4 lightning deal. I guess the Xenoverse 2 collector's edition has been off my radar because I didn't like the original game. Who'd have guessed they'd include such a high quality statue...

The +1 you get from merging a 4* guy goes away if you ever decide to promote him to 5*. Plus you can only +1 equal rarity characters. Only 4* + 4* or 5* + 5* to get a +1. So if you're keeping him at 4* then sure go ahead and +1 him as many times as you want. Otherwise it would be better to dismiss him for the feathers if you're not going to use the character much. The +1 just adds two stat points from what I have read. It doesn't seem useful to me unless you are merging a 5* onto a 5* and the one you're keeping has already shown good stat growth. Hope that helps.
I believe it also discounts the promotion cost by the amount of feathers it would give you if you dismissed it but I could be wrong.

Yes it does discount the feather cost, but that's such a weird system. I guess you can run with the upgraded 4* while you wait to evolve to 5. That's the only reason I can think of for why you wouldn't just sell it outright.

Also, I looked into my earlier question a bit further. It looks like the typical difference in atk at max lvl is around 5-6 points. It would take a lot of duplicates to make it a better option. Any unit worth duping would be better off just ranking up instead.

:ps4: Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star - 'Noble Phantasm' Edition $39.96

Thanks for the heads up. Price is as $39.67 now and seems to be hovering around $40. I bought it last night for $40.11 and purposely selected the 5 day shipping delay to get the $1 free digital credit. That way I could cancel the order in a couple days if the price continued to go down. Looks like Amazon caught on to my scheme as they sent it out within 3 hours, with a delivery by tomorrow (but at least I still got my $1 free digital credit lol).

Does anyone know if the Summon Night 6 Wonderful Editions ever got shipped out? I kinda lost track of it.
They should be shipping in May when the game is released to the other retailers.

I wouldn't wait on something like the Noble Phantasm edition.  The price is low enough at $40 and you're going to be kicking yourself if you miss out on getting one.  It's a nice box set and you're going to want one in good condition. 

So NIS is re-releasing Danganrompa 1+2 for PS4 this week for $40. My question is do I buy that or wait for a Steam Sale on the Steam Versions?

Also I played through the new Blaster Master this week and it was horribly disappointing. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad game but it's just way too easy. Even at the end of the game I had literally no trouble.

Glad you guys were able to get the Fate/Extella CE in, cause it's now shot back up to $54. See, there are good deals in this thread!

Other stuff that might tickle your fancy:

:ps4: Root Letter $24.99

:ps4: Aragami: Collector's Edition $15.35 (Not to be confused with Noragami...)

:ps4: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round $19.99 [Backordered]

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD Collection $11.48

:ps4: World of Final Fantasy $29.99/GCU $23.99

:ps4: / :xb1: Titanfall 2 $24.99/GCU $19.99 (Not niche but there are waifus in it. Also my pick for 2016 GOTY, even over Overwatch)

:waifu: Sword Art Online: Asuna Figma $69.99 $41.99 [It's Thinkgeek so you can use your Gamestop giftcards/trade credit]

Glad you guys were able to get the Fate/Extella CE in, cause it's now shot back up to $54. See, there are good deals in this thread!

Other stuff that might tickle your fancy:

:ps4: Root Letter $24.99
Damn, that's a really nice price for Root Letter. What was the reception like? I regret buying the Psycho Pass Collector's Edition, but part of me would rather get this one digital as PP has had some real nice digital sales already.

Not much going on with consoles & handhelds outside of the PS4 Danganronpa port & Chaos Code remaster. However PC has a few somewhat noteworthy things releasing this week for this thread. Since we're getting close, I may as well say that just three more weeks until Persona 5.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Bunny Bounce (Visual Novel)
- Fix Me Fix You (Visual Novel)
- A Foretold Affair (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (March 12th - March 18th)

Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Seems to just be a port to the PS4.

CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATASTROPHE-
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Remaster of the original Chaos Code on PS3.

Dead Rising 4
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Zombies
- Comments: Uses Denuvo. Already out on the Xbox One. PS4 coming much later due to one year Xbox exclusivity.

Yozora Rhapsody
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Monster Monpiece
- Genre: Strategy / Card Battle / Rubbing, Lots of
- Comments: No online features, but cards are uncensored. Also on the Vita, although censored with online.

Ecchi Sketch: Draw Cute Girls Every Day!
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Soul Saber 2
- Genre: Action / Third-Person
- Demo: Yes.

NieR: Automata
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: PS4 only.
- Online: Kinda. Dead bodies only.
- Comments: Uses Denuvo. Released on PS4 last week. Requires 3-5 playthroughs to see the whole story, but only the first two are similar. Rest are unique.

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs
- Genre: Visual Novel / Strategy RPG
- Comments: Previously released for the PS3, PS4 & Vita.

The Tenth Line
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Not Japanese, but the screenshots looked interesting enough to include it.

SENRAN KAGURA ESTIVAL VERSUS
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Previously released for the PS4 & Vita.

Past Releases
March 5th - March 11th
February 26th - March 4th
February 19th - February 25th
February 12th - February 18th
February 5th - February 11th

My fancy is so tickled right now that I should probably alert the authorities but I won't.
I feel like we have a lot of similar interests lately, Video Games, Kpop, Fast and Furious, Gal Gadot, EdJericho, etc.

So this is what Gladiolus did when he went away that one chapter? Kind of pointless seeing as how we already know what happens to him. At least the gameplay looks to be completely different.

Why can't we get some story DLC focusing on other characters than the ones we've already spent 99% of the game with? How about some Aranea DLC? Or maybe an all-girl spin off with Luna, Iris, Aranea, and Cindy? I'm already kind of sick of the current 4 protagonists.

And when is the live-action movie coming out with Keanu Reeves as Noctis?

I picked Lucina from the start in the Voting Gauntlet.  Spent all of my blue flags today on the final round, made it to 114,100 points and finished #3596. So I received 2600 feathers for that and about 4300 feathers total I believe.  That's huge because my guys aren't good enough to compete in arena anymore until I level some casters. 

Also, what do you get if you promote a 4* adult Tiki?

Wow I never thought Yakuza 0 would be this long. I am working on mini games (right now the cabaret club....probably another 2 hours to finish this one), but the story has been good if a bit predictable at times. It's pretty good overall, though sometimes I feel there are too many side quests sometimes. They generally are pretty decent diversions though. Also that disco mini game.....oh how much time and hurt fingers I spent on that!

I'm guessing i'll be finished with it in maybe 15 hours or so. I probably wont go crazy on the Kiryu real estate mini game, as I find it incredibly boring and somewhat enjoy the cabaret one. It's better than those horrible hostess mini games where you had to spend gobs on money to woo those expensive ladies. Makes money very easy to get.

After I finish I will need a palate cleanser before I likely play Nier. Maybe a VN or something. 

NieR: Automata was enjoyable, but man did it get repetitive. I managed to beat it sooner than originally planned thanks to a minor injury that hasn't allowed me to move around much this last week. Got the first three endings completely done. Technically I guess there are two more optional ones, but I don't feel like doing it right now. I can't really say much without giving anything away, but I will say that they could have and totally should have just made it one playthrough to the end instead of breaking it up in three parts. Oh and I never want to hear that la la la song again. It really annoys me for whatever reason.

I guess I'll move onto Atelier Firis since I'm waiting for a friend to get a switch to borrow it and play Zelda. Bought it on PC because I have all this Steam credit now and it was still discounted. Runs well and I'm using ReShade to give it some options it should have in the base game that the PS4 Pro has enabled. Also disappointed that they're using 1280×720 UI/localization assets still. They've said that they're going to fix it, but man Koei Tecmo really knows how to fuck up PC ports. I'll never understand how they do it damn near every time.

I guess I did kinda cheat in Firis since right after leaving the starting town, I intentionally got a game over so I can restart on NG+ to have the benefit of all costume effects work simultaneously no matter what costume I wear. I only lost like 30-45 minutes so it wasn't bad.

Nice ranking in the Voting Gauntlet, Nothing371.

I didn't do that well in the final round (I picked Lucina as well btw) only got like 22,000 points on that round.

I did get around 122,000 points total, which placed me at rank 32,248. At least I didn't end up being unranked. I spend all my flags and still didn't end up getting that many points....Probably because I kept forgetting to do a battle every 30 mins.

I spent most of my time trying to level up my people for that Ursula Hero Battle though, and finally beat the Lunatic map. I feel real good about that.

Anyways, console game-wise I'll be getting Danganronpa 1+2 Reload this week even though I already have the Vita versions. Love the series too much so I have to get them again. Still not decided about importing Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash yet, maybe if I find a good shipping deal.

Rest of Guilty Gear and Blazblue Costumes for Dead or Alive 5 revealed (Wow... 3 fighting games in one sentence)

Phase-4 as Mu, Makoto for Mila, Ramlethal for La Mariposa.

If you look at the comments, they mention a Team Ninja tweet that tells us the final 2, Marie Rose as Platinum and I think Helena as Nine.

This is cool.

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue Costumes Cross Over to Dead or Alive 5 Last Round

I'm guessing my waifu Marie Rose will either be Platinum or Rachel.
Hey look, past BRW was right! That's... 1 out of 16...

Our fellow PC friends (motaku96) will soon be able to play PS4 games.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash smartphone browser mini-game launched

PS4 games coming to PlayStation Now in 2017
Still not decided about importing Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash yet, maybe if I find a good shipping deal.
I've been considering importing it as well not just because I'd love to play it soon but with how slow it'll be to localize we won't see it until the Holidays and by then Splatoon 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be out.

bread's done
Back