Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any point in getting that with the new one releasing next month?

https://www.amazon.com/Guilty-Gear-Xrd-REV-PlayStation/dp/B06XKD1NT4/
If you are wondering if there is any content that the original Rev has that REV 2 doesn't, I don't think there is any. Usually Aksys fighters old versions have a different story mode than the updated versions, like Sign and Revelator, and the Blazblue games, but I have only heard them adding story chapters and not revamping the story.

The update is $20 though, so with this you'll get it for $35 in total for the updated version, rather than $40 for the standalone. You'll have a physical copy regardless, just a preference of if you want to pay $5 for all the content on the new disk.

unlike the P4 cast.
6TrNZPg.gif

Wow, I wasn't expecting much from an article by a site called "oneangrygamer" but this article is really well written. There is a ton of supporting info and references, all the quotes are clearly laid out, the timeline is easy to follow, and the central argument is sound and well supported. Unlike the Kotaku articles that seem like opinionated blog posts. Kudos to them for keeping journalism integrity.

A little surprising is that the user metacritic score for P5 is lower than the reviewer one. Most of the games on metacritic keeps that trend, but I'd expect for a niche game like this to have a more supporting and direct community.

Is it good?
I didn't really like it compared to the Senran Kagura games. It feels a lot more rigid, and lacks the crazy/chaotic nature of the SK games. The number of enemies on screen are a lot less, and special moves are less flashy. The game is also a lot more technical, which isn't a bad thing, requiring dashes, combos, and a system where you can track your enemy through air dashes. The art is really nice though. Overall, it's a lot more complicated than the SK games, and not just a simple button masher. Not a bad game, it might not be what you expect if you've played SK and Neptunia U/Blanc Zombies.

Wow, I wasn't expecting much from an article by a site called "oneangrygamer" but this article is really well written. There is a ton of supporting info and references, all the quotes are clearly laid out, the timeline is easy to follow, and the central argument is sound and well supported. Unlike the Kotaku articles that seem like opinionated blog posts. Kudos to them for keeping journalism integrity.

A little surprising is that the user metacritic score for P5 is lower than the reviewer one. Most of the games on metacritic keeps that trend, but I'd expect for a niche game like this to have a more supporting and direct community.
The backlash that P5's translation has been getting is absolutely bizarre. There's been a handful of weird lines and people are acting like Atlus is robbing people. Although it's interesting to note that the people who are really pushing that side of the argument defended Fire Emblem Fates translation.

You did get me curious about the reviews though so I checked the low ones and it's mostly just people that either have no interest in the genre, think that P5 looks dated or want to complain about the streaming restrictions (like saying the CEO should be fired for it).

Quite a few games this week with Puyo Puyo Tetris finally hitting the states to wash out this bad Ubisoft aftertaste. List is a little long since I added about 4 or 5 extra that weren't exactly asian developed, but they had themes that kinda fit the thread. Also it looks like Shiness from last week seems to have turned out pretty worthwhile.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- NEKO-NIN exHeart (Visual Novel | 18+ Patch)
- Fantasy Farming: Orange Season (Farm Sim | Brazillian)
- 猫肉「Cat Meat」 (Platformer)
- The Charming Empire (Visual Novel / Otome)
- Uncharted Waters / 大航海時代 (RPG | JP Only)
- Taikou Risshiden / 太閤立志伝 (RPG | JP Only)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms Ⅴ with Power Up Kit / 三國志Ⅴ with パワーアップキット (Strategy | JP Only)
- Games&Girls (Visual Novel)
- Army Gals (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (April 23rd - April 29th)

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on the Switch and PC.

Dragon Quest Heroes II
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Musou / Action
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: About time it has online co-op. Switch version is currently JP only with no word on localization.

Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Finally out in English.

Little Nightmares
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Puzzle-Platformer / Horror
- Comments: Swedish Dev. Published by Bamco.

Kamiko
- Platform(s): Switch eShop
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Digital only.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Racing
- Comments: Updated version of Mario Kart 8. Some DLC Karts from the original will be unlocked in-game.

BlazBlue Centralfiction
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: 2D Fighter

Agatha Knife
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Spanish dev.

de Blob
- Genre: Platform-Puzzle
- Comments: Previously released on the Wii. Technically not Japanese.

Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol.1
- Genre: Kinetic Novel

Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol.2
- Genre: Kinetic Novel

Blossoms Bloom Brightest
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri

Super Red-Hot Hero
- Platform(s):
- Genre: Side-Scroller / Platformer
- Comments: Spanish Dev. Kickstarter title.

Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch. 5 Meakashi
- Genre: Visual Novel

PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & Vita.

Moe Mekuri SP - 萌めくりSP -
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: JP only.

Past Releases
April 16th - April 22nd
April 9th - April 15th
April 2nd - April 8th
March 26th - April 1st
March 19th - March 25th

Is there a penalty for multiple love interests in P5? Or will I be slut shamed like I was in P3 and P4 Golden?
Dating doesn't really have an effect on the story in any way. You get a scene on a certain day no matter how many you date or even if you don't date anybody. There's a usable (useless) item associated with that day and that item will carry over to NG+ but has no real bearing on anything. So if you date multiple, someone might take pity on you.

I didn't really see nothing bad about P5's localization. I honestly thought it was great. There are some questionable things. But overall, it is enjoyable. Just trying to stir up drama for dem clicks.

There are a number of translation errors in the dialogue so its definitely not "great".  Its ok and the errors are negligible but its not on par with p3 and p4 which didn't seemingly have these issues.  Of course people on both sides just make things over exaggerated.

I do have to kinda side with the jpn specific questions stuff being present though.  I do think stuff like that should be either changed during the localization or put the answers in game since I shouldn't have to google things like in digimon cyber sluts.  If its so culturally important then why not let the players learn about it in game then?  It'd actually make the school setting have a purpose for once instead of just being there as an annoying backdrop that forces you to do crap and wastes the players time.  At the very least all school related social links should be auto increased since you spend time with these people AT school.  But that's just me going on a tangent of how horrible their time system is in the series.

I do have to kinda side with the jpn specific questions stuff being present though. I do think stuff like that should be either changed during the localization or put the answers in game since I shouldn't have to google things like in digimon cyber sluts. If its so culturally important then why not let the players learn about it in game then? It'd actually make the school setting have a purpose for once instead of just being there as an annoying backdrop that forces you to do crap and wastes the players time. At the very least all school related social links should be auto increased since you spend time with these people AT school.
If you have networking features enabled, you can just press the touchpad on PS4 (not sure about ps3) for a survey of what players picked as their answers. The right answer has a clear majority from every question I've seen, so I've never had to use Google once. The game basically gives you a cheat sheet if you choose to use it. And as for teaching you material and testing you on it, they do test if you retain your knowledge of the lectures during midterm exams, where historical/cultural questions are on material that they mentioned in class. So yes, they teach you a lot of cultural info and test you on it, as if it was like a class. The Shogi question didn't since I guess it would be common knowledge to most players in Japan, similar to asking American players about chess pieces. I guess they didn't localize/change these parts completely since it would completely ruin the setting of the game. It would be an utter disrespect if they changed all the historical mentions of Shoguns and Japanese eras in the game to George Washington and the American Revolution. I do understand your point though, that it's confusing for anyone outside Japan, but it is a Japanese game first and foremost.

I get the notion of wanting school links to be automatically increased, but really only Ann and Mishua are in your class, Ryuji and Makoto are in different classes, others are in completely different schools. I guess they can interact at lunch time or something, but I think we're just nitpicking at that point. Might as well ask for increased knowledge when the Protag reads magazines on the toilet, and guts when he jerks off with Morgana in the room.

There are a number of translation errors in the dialogue so its definitely not "great". Its ok and the errors are negligible but its not on par with p3 and p4 which didn't seemingly have these issues. Of course people on both sides just make things over exaggerated.
I do have to kinda side with the jpn specific questions stuff being present though. I do think stuff like that should be either changed during the localization or put the answers in game since I shouldn't have to google things like in digimon cyber sluts. If its so culturally important then why not let the players learn about it in game then? It'd actually make the school setting have a purpose for once instead of just being there as an annoying backdrop that forces you to do crap and wastes the players time. At the very least all school related social links should be auto increased since you spend time with these people AT school. But that's just me going on a tangent of how horrible their time system is in the series.
Someone clearly hasn't played very much if they think school is wasting your time in the game.

Might as well ask for increased knowledge when the Protag reads magazines on the toilet, and guts when he jerks off with Morgana in the room.
Lmao!

I always find the school stuff interesting. Even though I usually just look up the answers, I always like learning about the different things they teach you. Without the school setting, Persona wouldn't be the same (obviously).

I think by waste he means boring. I can't disagree there.
I always found school to be a bore, so I guess they got the setting right perfectly.

Lmao!

I always find the school stuff interesting. Even though I usually just look up the answers, I always like learning about the different things they teach you. Without the school setting, Persona wouldn't be the same (obviously).
There are some pretty crazy and interesting stuff that they teach you though. Never heard of the 4-color theorem, and didn't know about the television and dreaming in color relation. Actually, that part blew my mind.

I also love when they include background info on the lore, like how they talk about the historical figures behind the Personas, like Captain Kidd, Goemon, and Joanna. I feel like that part is done really well, and is similar to the Pirate knowledge tidbits from Uncharted 4. It could be a great learning experience, and maybe one day incorporated into the education system. I'd probably learn more about historical figures if I played games like these than going to lecture or reading a damn textbook.

There are some pretty crazy and interesting stuff that they teach you though. Never heard of the 4-color theorem, and didn't know about the television and dreaming in color relation. Actually, that part blew my mind.

I also love when they include background info on the lore, like how they talk about the historical figures behind the Personas, like Captain Kidd, Goemon, and Joanna. I feel like that part is done really well, and is similar to the Pirate knowledge tidbits from Uncharted 4. It could be a great learning experience, and maybe one day incorporated into the education system. I'd probably learn more about historical figures if I played games like these than going to lecture or reading a damn textbook.
That's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. A lot of the things they mention in the game aren't things you would ever learn normally in real life.

Someone clearly hasn't played very much if they think school is wasting your time in the game.
you haven't played p3 or p4 very much if you think school was doing anything but wasting your in game time. It was actually nice in 4 that you could choose to cut classes at the beginning of moons link. Honestly I'd rather do that every school day and increase an s link than waste in game time.

you haven't played p3 or p4 very much if you think school was doing anything but wasting your in game time. It was actually nice in 4 that you could choose to cut classes at the beginning of moons link. Honestly I'd rather do that every school day and increase an s link than waste in game time.
What's the point. Not like you get more time in the summer because you don't go to school. You still only get afternoons and evenings to use time. If anything, school was better because you could at least sometimes read on the train on the way there.

Makoto is your senpai. :lol:

Is there a penalty for multiple love interests in P5? Or will I be slut shamed like I was in P3 and P4 Golden?
This. I have a bunch of high rank females that i will have to make a decision on during the next rank up event... Want to do all so i can just get rank 10 and leave them be
You can date everyone at the same time.
But when Valentine's Day comes. You're fked.

What's the point. Not like you get more time in the summer because you don't go to school. You still only get afternoons and evenings to use time. If anything, school was better because you could at least sometimes read on the train on the way there.
Yea, this part pissed me off, cause I was expecting extra time in the summer. You're telling me that doing laundry takes from morning to evening, but traveling from city to city takes no time? And hitting 5 baseballs take all day? Time management is a joke in the game, and impossible to predict without a guide.

And it doesn't matter if you do a palace on the first day or the last possible day. They just have fixed events anyways. Ok, literally sleep for a month, you-know-who.

And stupid me, thinking the game telling you that you need
dauntless guts early in the game meant you would be wasting your time trying to get it. Guess that's level 2 guts. *get level 2* Nope, guess it's level 3. *gets level 3* Nope, just fucked myself on the other stats.

Time management is a joke in the game, and impossible to predict without a guide.

And it doesn't matter if you do a palace on the first day or the last possible day. They just have fixed events anyways. Ok, literally sleep for a month, you-know-who.
Every single thing that passes time in the game will tell you it passes time before you do it, though. Hell, the tutorial messages are still popping up for me 60+ hours into the game. I don't think the game could be any more clear on its parameters. The things the game lets you do to save time is a huge help, too. Temperance confidant is a must for this.

Summer doesn't open up an additional time slot, but it gives you seemingly endless opportunities to level up your confidant and social parameters every day.

Clearing the palace in a day is really just for your own benefit. P4 followed the same rules where you wait until the person "recovers" from TV Land. Doing well in palaces is just so you free up your days on upping stats or confidants.

Every single thing that passes time in the game will tell you it passes time before you do it, though. Hell, the tutorial messages are still popping up for me 60+ hours into the game. I don't think the game could be any more clear on its parameters. The things the game lets you do to save time is a huge help, too. Temperance confidant is a must for this.
Yea not sure why some people are complaining about not having enough free time/wanting more time. Its the same time system that was used in P3 and P4. And like you said, in P5 there's so many ways to save time (Temperance and Fortune confidants, social stats going up when hanging out with a confidant, etc.). I read that some people even had a couple of weeks of free time towards the end of the game since they were done with all the confidants.

I like how Persona 5 feels new and fresh yet they didn't tamper with the tried and true formula.  It's a Persona game just like everybody knows and loves.   They didn't try to reinvent the wheel like Square does with new Final Fantasies just because "turn based combat is outdated" or something. 

I like how Persona 5 feels new and fresh yet they didn't tamper with the tried and true formula. It's a Persona game just like everybody knows and loves. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel like Square does with new Final Fantasies just because "turn based combat is outdated" or something.
That's probably why I loved Cold Steel 1&2 so much. I've never gotten into the Persona series (please put out the torches and return the pitchforks to the shed), but I feel like it doesn't matter as much that turn based fighting is used if they present a good story that stays with you. I sometimes think they try and put too much into graphics, and being different than presenting a journey for us to go on. I want to feel like I personally went on an adventure when I'm done.

bread's done
Back