Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the votes all =)

I haven't played it on PC, but I've played the Vita and PS3 versions and would definitely say that it's better on Vita. The visuals in the PS3 version didn't look like they were optimized for a big screen to me.
I say Vita for Steins as well....can take anywhere and easy to read. Now eroge...you need pc for big screen for that!
For that price, probably the Vita since you can take it on the go. I have it for PC, but it's the boxed edition with the extra stuff included. Only go PC if you get a boxed copy for the free shit.
I'd be playing it on my PSTV at home though, is the vita version still better for some reason (other than it being a vita game)?

Nintendo News: Nintendo Details DLC Coming to Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for Nintendo 3DS

• Season Pass (May 19, $44.99, 22 pieces of content): The Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Season Pass includes all five DLC packs as they release. By purchasing the Season Pass, fans who want to receive all DLC will save more than 30 percent compared to purchasing all 22 pieces of content on their own.
  • DLC Pack #1 – Fledgling Warriors Pack (May 19, $7.99, three pieces of content): Ideal for early- to mid-game adventurers, this pack includes a new dungeon (The Astral Temple) and two new maps, great for gaining more items, money and experience points.
  • DLC Pack #2 – Undaunted Heroes Pack (May 25, $9.99, three pieces of content): In addition to a new dungeon (The Inner Sanctum), this pack also includes two challenging new maps that stronger, more seasoned heroes will want to tackle.
  • DLC Pack #3 – Lost Altars Pack (May 25, $14.99, 10 pieces of content): The mysterious dungeons included in this pack hold the power to upgrade characters to exclusive classes that don’t appear in the main game.
  • DLC Pack #4 – Rise of the Deliverance Pack (June 1, $12.99, four pieces of content): Discover the previously untold history of Valentia in this Prologue pack. Complete with new story content and additional voice acting that details the rise of the Deliverance in Zofia, this collection of challenging maps includes new support conversations between selected heroes, as well as the ability to take command of a character players won’t be able to control in the main game.
  • DLC Pack #5 ($5.99, two pieces of content): More information about this final DLC pack will be revealed in the future.

Is it any good?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I didn't think so, but I'm in the minority there. I just found the vast majority of the character detestable. I really only liked Daru. It's hard to get into a novel (and really that's all it is, a few choices here and there) when you don't care about the people.

I will say that it was kinda cool that the 'choose your own adventure' parts weren't slapped in your face like most conversation options in games. There wasn't an "A", "B", "C" choice screen. It kinda flowed more naturally,

Nintendo News: Nintendo Details DLC Coming to Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for Nintendo 3DS

• Season Pass (May 19, $44.99, 22 pieces of content): The Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Season Pass includes all five DLC packs as they release. By purchasing the Season Pass, fans who want to receive all DLC will save more than 30 percent compared to purchasing all 22 pieces of content on their own.
  • DLC Pack #1 – Fledgling Warriors Pack (May 19, $7.99, three pieces of content): Ideal for early- to mid-game adventurers, this pack includes a new dungeon (The Astral Temple) and two new maps, great for gaining more items, money and experience points.
  • DLC Pack #2 – Undaunted Heroes Pack (May 25, $9.99, three pieces of content): In addition to a new dungeon (The Inner Sanctum), this pack also includes two challenging new maps that stronger, more seasoned heroes will want to tackle.
  • DLC Pack #3 – Lost Altars Pack (May 25, $14.99, 10 pieces of content): The mysterious dungeons included in this pack hold the power to upgrade characters to exclusive classes that don’t appear in the main game.
  • DLC Pack #4 – Rise of the Deliverance Pack (June 1, $12.99, four pieces of content): Discover the previously untold history of Valentia in this Prologue pack. Complete with new story content and additional voice acting that details the rise of the Deliverance in Zofia, this collection of challenging maps includes new support conversations between selected heroes, as well as the ability to take command of a character players won’t be able to control in the main game.
  • DLC Pack #5 ($5.99, two pieces of content): More information about this final DLC pack will be revealed in the future.
Damn, that's a lot of money. Reading about what will be included, the only one that interests me is DLC pack #4. Everything else just seem like extra maps for the most part (and maybe characters...unless I read that wrong). Given the price on DLC pack #5, that also just seems like it'll be extra maps.

Yeah, that price is ridiculous. It's more than the games base MSRP. What the hell.

I have to wonder what's included in dungeons since they don't call them a map in the DLC description.

I usually don't like to argue about this kinda stuff;  but that $45 price tag is pretty shameless.   
Vote with your wallets.  

For $45 it had better be larger and better than the actual content I am paying for at $32.

lol. No thanks Nintendo. I don't need to buy DLC for fking Fire Emblem.

I think the Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates...blah blah blah had pretty decent DLC. Those seemed cheaper though, but I may have forgotten by now.

Do note the dlc will be discounted and some will be free as time goes on unless sov is a departure from the pattern awakening and conquest/birthright set up.

Thanks for the votes all =)
I'd be playing it on my PSTV at home though, is the vita version still better for some reason (other than it being a vita game)?
If you're going to play the Vita version on PSTV, I would actually probably recommend the PS3 version instead. The visuals aren't going to be optimized for the big screen either playing on PSTV, and the PS3 version actually runs faster than the Vita version, which makes a difference when you start skipping text to get all of the endings.

I didn't think so, but I'm in the minority there. I just found the vast majority of the character detestable. I really only liked Daru. It's hard to get into a novel (and really that's all it is, a few choices here and there) when you don't care about the people.

I will say that it was kinda cool that the 'choose your own adventure' parts weren't slapped in your face like most conversation options in games. There wasn't an "A", "B", "C" choice screen. It kinda flowed more naturally,
You didn't like Suzuha? She wasn't my absolute favorite character, but she came off to me as a character who would be difficult to dislike.

I agree with you on Daru though, I liked him a lot.

Ahh, starting Trails in the Sky the 3rd feels so good. In the first hour they've briefly referenced Arc en Ciel from the series next game, Zero no Kiseki from the Crossbell arc. Then went on to mention a bit about the Reinford group from Cold Steel. Plus you get to see someone mentioned in the Carnelia books briefly as well, which is a nice bit of nostalgia.

Time to get back on XSeed's wild ride fortwith. Good to see the game is the top seller on Steam right now, but you have to actually click the "See More: Top Sellers" for it to appear. I wonder what the difference is between the standard top 11 showing and the link listing. Maybe revenue versus actual sale numbers? I know the main one is revenue. Would be nice if it shows up on the main one.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like Moeka. She's one of my favorite characters of all time, and I find her really relatable. Actually, she's pretty much me in real life... :cry: Now that I think about it... same for Futaba... :cry:

But yeah, I agree with you and Commodore about Daru, a real right hand man.

If you're going to play the Vita version on PSTV, I would actually probably recommend the PS3 version instead. The visuals aren't going to be optimized for the big screen either playing on PSTV, and the PS3 version actually runs faster than the Vita version, which makes a difference when you start skipping text to get all of the endings.

You didn't like Suzuha? She wasn't my absolute favorite character, but she came off to me as a character who would be difficult to dislike.

I agree with you on Daru though, I liked him a lot.
You are correct, I did *not* dislike Suzuha. Though I cant say that I was that much intrigued by her either. Lukewarm is an apt description. Whereas as the main character, the genius girl, the gamer girl of Daru's dreams, and the mentally-challenged assistant (forgive me, it's been over a year and I've forgotten the names) I actively disliked. So in a sea of 'suck' Suzuha was a glimmer light of 'meh.' :)

BTW: Her's was the ending I got. Did not replay to get the others.

I just found the vast majority of the character detestable.
Even Mayuri?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAcNU8Xifrs

The exact opposite happened for me. I usually tire of visual novels because I find the characters so bland and cliche. Steins;Gate was one of the only ones where I actually liked most of the characters. Though, watching the anime first may have had a hand in that for me...

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like Moeka. She's one of my favorite characters of all time, and I find her really relatable. Actually, she's pretty much me in real life... :cry: Now that I think about it... same for Futaba... :cry:

But yeah, I agree with you and Commodore about Daru, a real right hand man.
My wife once texted my when I was in the same room with her (our living room, with only family so no sound restrictions) and I might have given her the look of death. That was beyond annoying to me. So nah. Mokea didnt do it for me initially and her role in the plot didnt make her any more likeable.

Oh Luka was cool too, I guess.

I guess I'll pick up Steins Gate for the vita. I was hoping for a discount on a physical version, but you can't beat $3. Still contemplating the digital for Senran Kagura, too. That's one series that does physical copies right. 

As much as I love Makoto in P5, I think she's now in 2nd place after maxing Futaba. 

If you want something on budget Detolf at IKEA are pretty much the go to option.

Speaking of Figs, this came in today:

16ljQAe.jpg
Do you personally have one? How's the build quality? Is it sturdy?

Do you personally have one? How's the build quality? Is it sturdy?
Yeah, super easy to setup & everything pretty much fit snugly no wobbling or anything like that.

I will add to The Dead Texans point about the dust, get some of that window strip foam if you want extra dust protection because it does have some small gaps. I put some all around the glass door and it's great, nothing gets in.

Also a nice LED set up is recommended if you want to show off at night :whistle2:

Yeah, super easy to setup & everything pretty much fit snugly no wobbling or anything like that.

I will add to The Dead Texans point about the dust, get some of that window strip foam if you want extra dust protection because it does have some small gaps. I put some all around the glass door and it's great, nothing gets in.

Also a nice LED set up is recommended if you want to show off at night :whistle2:
Hmm, $129.00 for shipping to my house from the IKEA website.

Steins Gate. 

Terrible first impression. All the characters are extremely unlikeable, from a chick who just says Tuturu all day long leading me to believe that she's mentally retarded, to the rest of the cast showing different representations of autism. The first like 3-4 hours were a huge slog.

That being said, once you actually get to the story, everything just sort of clicks. You get used to the supremely obnoxious self insert spouting crap and you start bonding with these characters. Knowing all of these people's pasts and how they got to know you and how much they're willing to try and stuff just gets the feels going. You realize all the first impressions you had were just these people's quirks and that they're great people. You start to like the crap out of them. You want to just carry it out.

I got so engrossed in the story. The first half I beat over the course of like a month because it couldn't hold my attention. The last half... oh man. I pulled an all-nighter finishing the game, and its definitely one of my favorite visual novels I've ever played. This was at the European import price of like $40. For $3? Jesus, just get it.

It is because they are very heavy. If I recall, I remember seeing something like 60-90lbs on the box. It is best picked up locally or find someone that wants to get rid of it. My cousin even got one for free since someone didn't want it anymore. He just needed to pick it up. Otherwise, they have been on sale for $39.99 on Black Friday before, but I haven't kept up anytime recently. I have 4, so I haven't looked at them for many years.

Detolfs are the most reasonably priced display stands out there, I spent a while looking for something cheaper and found nothing. Just so happened that an Ikea opened fairly close by when I resigned myself to getting a few.

You are correct, I did *not* dislike Suzuha. Though I cant say that I was that much intrigued by her either. Lukewarm is an apt description. Whereas as the main character, the genius girl, the gamer girl of Daru's dreams, and the mentally-challenged assistant (forgive me, it's been over a year and I've forgotten the names) I actively disliked. So in a sea of 'suck' Suzuha was a glimmer light of 'meh.' :)

BTW: Her's was the ending I got. Did not replay to get the others.
LOL! I'm not sure Mayuri was meant to be portrayed as mentally challenged, just innocent and cute, but I could definitely see why someone might think that of her as well. I have to admit that I disliked her too and always felt guilty about it because her character was just so darn nice. But her voice was so high pitched that it was ear-splitting for me, and I grew to dislike her largely because of that.

LOL! I'm not sure Mayuri was meant to be portrayed as mentally challenged, just innocent and cute, but I could definitely see why someone might think that of her as well. I have to admit that I disliked her too and always felt guilty about it because her character was just so darn nice. But her voice was so high pitched that it was ear-splitting for me, and I grew to dislike her largely because of that.
I absolutely adore Mayuri. In fact, she was the only one whose's lines I listened to completely, everyone else I just skimmed through the voice acting. I also love that the voices go on even when the next dialogue panel appears. Mayuri's "Tuturu" was actually my text ringtone for a while. I think there were a couple of mentions that she was a ditz and an airhead, but nothing like mentally challenged. I think it's more like she has a personality to be really naive and daze off a lot.

Also, I think I might've found something game-changing in Persona 5 no one has discovered yet... So everyone has a problem with Ryuji's instakill/ambush ability. And people seem to speculate that it triggers when your MC is at least 7 levels higher than the shadow. But I think it correlates with your Persona's level instead, and a low-level Persona might mean no instakill? Have to do a bit more testing.

I absolutely adore Mayuri. In fact, she was the only one whose's lines I listened to completely, everyone else I just skimmed through the voice acting. I also love that the voices go on even when the next dialogue panel appears. Mayuri's "Tuturu" was actually my text ringtone for a while. I think there were a couple of mentions that she was a ditz and an airhead, but nothing like mentally challenged. I think it's more like she has a personality to be really naive and daze off a lot.

Also, I think I might've found something game-changing in Persona 5 no one has discovered yet... So everyone has a problem with Ryuji's instakill/ambush ability. And people seem to speculate that it triggers when your MC is at least 7 levels higher than the shadow. But I think it correlates with your Persona's level instead, and a low-level Persona might mean no instakill? Have to do a bit more testing.
Na. I was using a level 34 persona and it was killing level 43s 95% of the time when I was 44.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the lower level Persona trick doesn't work. Most of my Personas are lower than my level by 10-15 levels but I still auto-end battles regardless if the encounter is about 7 levels lower than me.

Not a Japanese game but Korean-developed White Day: A Labyrinth Named School is coming to PS4 and PC this August through PQube Games physically and digitally. Thank you based PQube

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/white-day-labyrinth-named-school-ps4-pc-coming-west-august

Very excited for this horror game.
I thought this was White Album at first and got really excited. I've been wanting a localized version of that for a long time.

This looks interesting, too, though. I was wondering when PQube would announce their next project.

Can't you just let the shadows ambush you instead? They don't start running away from you unless you're like 10/20 levels above them. Not to mention that Futaba can position hack if you do this.

Can't you just let the shadows ambush you instead? They don't start running away from you unless you're like 10/20 levels above them. Not to mention that Futaba can position hack if you do this.
It's more that if you are playing on a higher difficulty, they could potentially kill the MC before you could do anything. Whereas if the game let you get an ambush, you'd be able to dispatch them with relative ease. Basically you're playing with fire on higher difficulties when you don't ambush, even on lower level fights. Even if you don't die, you're taking needless damage that could be avoided if it would just let you toggle his ability.

Years ago, I don't believe they even offered shipping, as most of their items are big & heavy, so I never bought anything from them in the past, as I didn't have a local store. They finally built one here in Vegas, but now I don't have the room to get these cases, but I will at some point in the future, or something similar, as their products are the best for the pricing.

So yeah, anything they are offering is super heavy, and will in most cases, cost more to ship, than the actual item cost. A friend of mine would plan trips around going to one of their locations when he would travel to a city where there was a store, so if you don't have one near buy, and may travel by car near one, that may be an option, but you'll need a truck or a bigger type vehicle to haul items.

bread's done
Back