Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like DOA5LR Season Pass 4 didn't go on sale even though it's delisted next week. Maybe it'll show up in a weekend sale? (..Or just not go on sale at all)
A shame it doesn't seem like it won't be getting a sale but I'll hold out until Monday. If anyone plans to take advantage of using it with the PSN offer of spending $100 get $15 back there's a few other DOA5 DLC you can use it on to reach the $100 goal. There's some people who don't know this but there's a few costumes that aren't available in any of the Season Passes (nor on the Ultimate Content Set). These were mainly pre-order bonuses available from certain retailers (so you might own some of these already) which were later made available to purchase after the games release. Hopefully this will help anyone out who's looking into some filler items related to DOA5.

$7.49 - Honoka Debut Costume Set - Released same day as the game so Honoka could have some of the costumes the other girls had during the prior games DLC.

$5.99 - Ninja 2015 Costume Set - Pre-order bonuses from GameStop. This set is not included in any of the Ninja Clan Costumes 1 - 3 in Season Pass 1.

$24.99 - Last Getaway Costume Set - Pre-order bonuses from GameStop, Amazon, Walmart. Currently on sale for $19.99 / $17.49

$14.99 - Premier Sexy Costume & Movie Set - Excluded from the Ultimate Content Set which has the rest of the movies for the other girls. Currently on sale for $11.99 / $10.49

$11.99 - Showstoppers Encore Set - Pre-order bonuses from Best Buy.

I thought it would be "primarily" focus on Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. I would be flabbergasted if they didn't include Ike, largely because of his "star" power so to speak. He is easily one of the most recognizable characters of Fire Emblem at this point besides Marth imo.

They need some more girls. I'm not down for a sausage party besides the Fem OC and Fem Corrin. If they include Tharja and Cordellia, I guess I can forgive them for not including Lyn.
Yeah, from Siliconera: "Characters appearing will mostly be from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Fire Emblem Fates. It won’t be the kind of game where all the main characters from the entire series get together." Also, "The reason for this is because if you put a bunch of protagonists together then it’ll be nothing but sword-wielding characters." (http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/30/fire-emblem-warriors-will-mostly-feature-heroes-shadow-dragon-awakening-fates/)

So she might just to up the female cast, but they do want a variety of weapons, presumably to avoid the characters feeling to similar. I'd be very surprised if Cordellia wasn't in it, unless they want to make her ride her wyvern and can't get it to work. Though I do think they mentioned pegasus riders when talking about the weapon triangle in regards to archers, so maybe even that won't hold her back.

How is the God Eater series? Also is it better on the PS4 or Vita?
I enjoy the series for fast paced action and focus on story. It's a monster hunting game that is easy to get into more so than others since you don't need to get into the game's crafting (bullet) system in order to keep progressing. You can have up to three AI with you into battle if you feel like soloing.

As for the story, it certainly puts a lot of effort into it more so than others so there is plenty of content to go through. However, main negatives are the limited amount of enemies you face and their monster variants are tied to elements later as the game goes on. So new enemies are rarely fought and this series is the worst in that regard.

Lastly, I found the differences between PS4 and Vita to be minimal having played both. So it depends if you want portability or playing on a larger screen.
-

Hironobu Sakaguchi To Reveal New Mistwalker Game On June 22

Heroines of Dead or Alive 5: Last Round and King of Fighters XIV Join in Lovely Wallpapers

Sony’s Mobile Subsidiary ForwardWorks Joins Forces With Compile Heart for New Game

Atelier’s 20th Anniversary Commemoration Video Looks Back At The Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vTYSd1iT8g

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Shares A First Look At Upcoming DLC’s Master Trials Footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaE2anhRWzY

FuRyu Is Ripping Out Beyblade Burst God For Nintendo 3DS This November In Japan

Tokyo Clanpool details story, main characters

Yeah, from Siliconera: "Characters appearing will mostly be from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Fire Emblem Fates. It won’t be the kind of game where all the main characters from the entire series get together." Also, "The reason for this is because if you put a bunch of protagonists together then it’ll be nothing but sword-wielding characters." (http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/30/fire-emblem-warriors-will-mostly-feature-heroes-shadow-dragon-awakening-fates/)
So she might just to up the female cast, but they do want a variety of weapons, presumably to avoid the characters feeling to similar. I'd be very surprised if Cordellia wasn't in it, unless they want to make her ride her wyvern and can't get it to work. Though I do think they mentioned pegasus riders when talking about the weapon triangle in regards to archers, so maybe even that won't hold her back.
Her Super Lord form has Lyn using a Bow.

Edit: she probably doesnt use a horse. Lol

Nintendo highlights 2017 Switch and 3DS releases in new infograhic

21airfk.jpg

Switch currently has an attach rate of 1.60 in Japan, higher than Wii U

Nintendo heard about AM2R after Metroid: Samus Returns development started, creator not bitter

It may just be me, but that's a pretty nice year 1 for the Switch. 3DS looks nice as well with Monster Hunter Stories, Mario & Luigi, Pokemon and Metroid Returns (likely only buy on release). Good stuff. I wish the PS4 had such a nice library that first year. I remember after Infamous Second Son it was a huge drought until Destiny (and that was multi release, though PS4 stuff released first). I'll get a Switch next year.

God Wars: Future Past (PS4) is not even out yet and its already dropping in increments on Amazon.com.   Currently $30.28 (MSRP $49.99) which is even well below the Prime 20% off price of $39.99.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Wars-Future-Past-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MQ22AJE/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1497779956&sr=1-1&keywords=god+wars+future+past+ps4

Usually these incremental price drops happen to games that have been out a while - I've never seen it happen to one that hasn't even been released yet.  FYI, the Vita version is still $39.96 so technically the PS4 price is even better than the Prime 20% off discount for Vita.

good price almost got me interested in buying it but whenever i watched gameplay videos i felt bored an i love games like Final fantasy tactics.  something just felt off mit just be my perception an it a A+ game just getting ignored but going wait for a $20 or less price.

This weeks releases are fairly varied, but a few ports again this week. Ever Oasis looks the most interesting out of the bunch for sure. Though if you're playing Final Fantasy XIV, that expansion is probably pretty high for you. Besides those, God Wars does look slightly interesting and it's harder to pass up at its current Amazon discount. Oh and the Steam Summer Sale should start this Thursday.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Smashing The Battle VR (VR | Hack'n'Slash)
- Delphinia Chronicle (ARPG)

Weekly Releases (June 18th - June 24th)

River City: Knights of Justice
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only?

Ever Oasis
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Check it out. Try the demo.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (Expansion)
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: MMORPG
- Online: Only online.

God Wars: Future Past
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Strategy RPG

- Comments: Amazon's PS4 version is listed at about $30 right now. (MSRP $50)

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Limited Run Games physical release.

Cave Story +
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on just about every other platform.

Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously released on PC, PS4, Vita and XB1.

Dead Rising 4: Super Ultra Dead Rising 4 Mini Golf (DLC)
- Platform(s): Xbox One
- Genre: Action / Third-Person Shooter

Material Girl
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: 16+ Ages version, not 18+ I think.

埋葬 DIG A BOO
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Chinese dev? Early access.

VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI-
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on the Vita.

Libra of the Vampire Princess
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Supposed to be releasing this week.

The Maid-san's Caving Adventure - メイドさん洞窟探検 -
- Genre: Platformer

Past Releases
June 11th - June 17th
June 4th - June 10th
May 28th - June 3rd
May 21st - May 27th
May 14th - May 20th

It happens on occasion, but they're pretty rare on being more than 20% off.
Now it's down to $29.67...how low will it go? The good thing about it being a preorder is you should get the lowest price before release date without hassle per Amazon's policy.

good price almost got me interested in buying it but whenever i watched gameplay videos i felt bored an i love games like Final fantasy tactics. something just felt off mit just be my perception an it a A+ game just getting ignored but going wait for a $20 or less price.
I played the Japanese demo of it and wasn't impressed. It was like FFT but tediously slow in comparison.

I played the Japanese demo of it and wasn't impressed. It was like FFT but tediously slow in comparison.
Ah my Record of the Argarest War and War Zero flashbacks are coming back! Those games had decent stories and characters, but man was that battle system was slow as heck. Hopefully it's not to that extreme. Honestly my favorite TBS in the past few years was Stella Glow. Fun graphics with good characters and an alright story made me bum rush through it. Only negative is some character endings are impossible on the first run through as you have limited time points. Bad developers bad! I always hate forced replaying!

Amazon is really slacking.

I can't preorder the special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns and I also can't preorder the remake of FF XII which comes out next month. Since I have no real big singleplayer games coming out until Mario and Rabbids (excluding Splatoon since I consider that multiplayer) thought I would pick up FF XII. Not even the regular edition of FF XII is available which I would be fine with.

I can't preorder the special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns and I also can't preorder the remake of FF XII which comes out next month. Since I have no real big singleplayer games coming out until Mario and Rabbids (excluding Splatoon since I consider that multiplayer) thought I would pick up FF XII. Not even the regular edition of FF XII is available which I would be fine with.
Strange, I wonder what's up with FFXII, the pre-order has been up for awhile and the price was down to about 30% off.

Strange, I wonder what's up with FFXII, the pre-order has been up for awhile and the price was down to about 30% off.
I don't know. I mean I would pay whatever retail + prime discount is, not going to argue over a few bucks. I didn't realize it was that much off, but I have an email alert set though so hopefully they get either the reg or steelbook back in.

I don't know. I mean I would pay whatever retail + prime discount is, not going to argue over a few bucks. I didn't realize it was that much off, but I have an email alert set though so hopefully they get either the reg or steelbook back in.
I just checked camelcamelcamel.com it was actually only $8 off at it's lowest, so not even the 20% off for prime. I was actually thinking of Walmart, it was down to $33, but that was 18 days ago. I just checked, it's back up to MSRP.

I'm not sure what's up with FF12. I had an order for the standard edition before the steelbook was announced I forgot to cancel. At Best Buy I'm locked out of making changes to the standard edition and have been for a few weeks.

FF XII Steelbook back up on Amazon. $50 or $40 with prime. Grabbed a copy and I can't wait because it will give me something to play until late august. Plus I always did like the battle system, being a former WoW addict.

I have a question about Dead or Alive 5 Last Round DLC / Season Passes if someone can answer. You have to go through and also purchase all the 'packs' individually as well after buying a Season Pass (which makes their price 'free') right?

Is the same true for the 'Ultimate Content Set'? When I look up those packs like 'DOA5LR Hot Getaway' etc the price isn't 'free' so is just having the 'Ultimate Content Set' purchased enough unlike the Season Passes?

I have a question about Dead or Alive 5 Last Round DLC / Season Passes if someone can answer. You have to go through and also purchase all the 'packs' individually as well after buying a Season Pass (which makes their price 'free') right?

Is the same true for the 'Ultimate Content Set'? When I look up those packs like 'DOA5LR Hot Getaway' etc the price isn't 'free' so is just having the 'Ultimate Content Set' purchased enough unlike the Season Passes?
From what I can remember a lot of the ones for the Ultimate Content Set only showed the individual versions for Free and not the pack versions (so you'd have to download Kasumi Hot Getaway Costume then Ayane, etc). To make things easier I recall downloading them via the games store and going through the option where you can look at each of the characters individual costumes.

Thank you based SEGA. A physical release that I've been waiting for. If it doesn't get brought over to the West, I can just import it.

Day 1
If Future Tone DX has a separate trophy list (or even better, a platinum trophy), I'm also in.

Ditto on the .hack//G.U. remaster. :drool:

Sega has officially given up on doing anything new with the series so they'll just keep selling us the same songs over and over. Next year they'll do Future Tone DXX which includes all the songs from Project Diva X as well... :shame:
PDX did some new things. This just seems like a definitive version situation. No big deal and it's something people want.

I bought Future Tone digitally on JP PSN right around 1 year ago, wasn't worth rebuying when it got announced for US release just to have song names in english. If this gets physical copy makes it here, then I will double dip (physical + english = sweet)

bread's done
Back