Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Limited Run says they are gonna work on a US release for .hack//GU since they have previous working relationship with bandai namco for one of their previous releases, here's hoping

Limited Run says they are gonna work on a US release for .hack//GU since they have previous working relationship with bandai namco for one of their previous releases, here's hoping
they technically don't since bamco didn't localize ray gigant. bamco published it in japan. acttil localized it in na and eu. so limited run games relationship would have been with them not bamco.

Bamco America is not the bomb diggity
well, I can't really hate them for it since it's not like the .hack games sell really well. But I am disappointed it wont get a physical release. And the odds of limited run games being able to do a physical version are 0 since bamco doesn't let people touch their stuff.

All we can hope for is an english asian release like cyber sluts had. Or if they do a sequel/remake of the quad and include the trilogy with it for free like how cyber sluts is included in its sequel.

Quick summary of Sekai Project announcements Anime-Expo

Baldr Sky Dive 1/2 will be one package releasing early 2018. These are huge games so this is big news. I hope there will be a Denpasoft version.

Wagama High Spec coming July 25th (buying from Denpasoft woot...this and Princess Evangile W...going to be a good July...not buying anything else).

Dracu-Riot

Eternal Project

Island Diary

Nanairo Reincarnation

Ninja Girl and the Mysterious Army of Urban Legend Monsters ~Hunt of the Headless Horseman~

Senren Banka

Fata Morgan developer creating new game Narkarma EngineA and Sekai localizing it.

My thoughts on all the linked games.

Dracu-Riot was average. I already played it and while the graphics are nice...the story is pretty overbearing and got boring when it explained too much. It's alright though.

Eternal Project and Island Project and Ninja have little known. I would get island project at least, but they look interesting at least.

Nainairo Reincarnation looks interesting but kind of adult oriented from some multiple person scene i saw a screenshot of. I hope Denpasoft announces this too, as I'll get it there. It looks OK.

Senren Banka looks awesome and is also very long. I also hope Denpasoft releases this, though I think this a bit more vanilla for the love scenes.

Pretty nice announcements overall. Bladr Sky announcement is huge for me and makes that a day 1 purchase. Those are very highly regarded and long games, so it will give you a good bang for your buck. Dracu-Riot! is pretty meh, but i'll try the rest.

I don't know anything about "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" at all, other than the fact that I absolutely love this girl.

f9734f1cf812c294f02f7f8fc87ecd19.jpg

It's the niche thread, but I recommend The Witcher 3 over anything else, one of my favorite games ever, and imo one of the greatest games ever made. Story Telling, Graphics, Polish, Depth, Replayability, Gameplay, it nails everything and is one of the few perfect 10s out there. I have a hard time even trying to come up with a flaw, maybe the world is too large, or combat can few unbalanced at times, but it's really a perfect game.

Max discount of $30 is cheap, shouldn't even be a 95% off coupon. The best discount you can get is with like a $32 item...
This pic alone made me want to watch the anime. Just checked out the first episode. It's kinda cringy and silly and ridiculous. IOW - I'm totally in! I could also see how it *could* make a good game.

This pic alone made me want to watch the anime. Just checked out the first episode. It's kinda cringy and silly and ridiculous. IOW - I'm totally in! I could also see how it *could* make a good game.
the show actually gets pretty exciting & action packed and less goofy the later half of the season.

also .hack isn't getting a EU physical release?

450 dollaroos
Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

Most of the statue is just the mech too, which isn't even the part I want. I just want Bae.by D.va.

That's a good cosplay. Tomia is def my fav of the sp cats
Thanks for the source! I've been meaning to find out who it was for a while.

The pic alone made me want to marry her. But yeah, I'm really interested in the anime now as well.

Jast USA Anime-Expo announcements:

Majikoi

Machine Child

Also Flowers - Summer is 80% translated and set for Winter 2017.

Majikoi is a very good VN. It's wacky and over the top, which puts it slightly less IMHO, but it's very good. Pretty big announcement, though Jast USA is slow as always.

Machine Child looks like a Princess Maker game....sign me up. Coming out as a global release, which is always cool in this day and age.

Not much, but didn't expect much. 

Denpasoft Anime-Expo Announcements:

Alpha’s Adventures
Dracu-Riot!

Island Diary
Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki

Miko no Kanata: Curious Tale from the Shrine -Chapter Rin-
Nanairo Reincarnation

Real Life Plus Ver. Kaname Komatsuzaki
Senren Banka

Tenshin Ranman

Also Fallen Doll some weirdly realistic VR thing...with a girl who does some dances or something...yeah...that's pretty adult.

Alright... as noted many Sekai Project games announced were announced as 18+ versions here. Dracu-Riot!, Island Diary, Nanairo Reincarnation and Senren Banka (yes on these last 3....Dracu-Riot! has OK eroge scenes). Good for a guy like me who prefers the 18+ versions.

Tenshin Ranman was previously announced a few years ago or so by Sekai Project, but is now getting an 18+ release. Sweet!

Miko no Kanata and Real Life Plus are both new titles announced from Fan-na. They both look like short interesting romps about the relationships you develop. Koi Ga Saku is about love through time with shrine maidens (hot) and Real Life Plus is the relationship development with a childhood friend (also hot). These are both releasing by end of 2017....i'll support them.

Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki was previously announced I believe. It looks pretty nice and is coming out this year!

Alpha's Adventures is coming next year, and looks like some odd game about some muscular girl building a Yuri Harem. I will likely pass, but who knows when it actually comes out.

Honestly there were only 3 original titles, but I'm glad Denpasoft is doing more of the Sekai Project announcements. There are many fanboys crying about the Baldr games not having their 18+ content. Heck i'm still waiting for the last part of the Labyrinth trilogy (please....hurry up). I think it's not mentioned but also Wagamama High Spec is coming out next month, and Denpasoft has the 18+ version for it. I believe it's a simultaneous release with the non 18+ version.

Pretty good conference with good games. I'm also glad Tenshin Ranman is getting the 18+ treatment. If they would have said Baldr was getting 18+ i would have freaked though. Pretty much buying everything here other than the Alpha's Adventures.

Was waiting for that D.va statue, but not for $450 fucking dollars. The thing better light up, have sound effects, and act as a girlfriend replacement.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Anime Expo 2017 off-screen gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKZsEZGc8E

Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct set for July 6

Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade adds ‘Lunar Subterrane’ stage from Final Fantasy IV on July 12

Blue Reflection Final Fantasy XV collaboration costume DLC launches July 10 in Japan

Earth Defense Force 5 Ranger and Wing Diver weapons gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-s2Qz3hymc
Was waiting for that D.va statue, but not for $450 fucking dollars. The thing better light up, have sound effects, and act as a girlfriend replacement.
To be fair it can do one of those.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/881568319966523392t

.hack GU digital only in the US. Time the import.
01daa591337834422679c36bf0d7624a.jpg

Well hopefully they'll do it. Otherwise I guess I'll import it cause their is no way I'll buy it digital.

Well hopefully they'll do it.
It's entirely possible that it will happen. But even if it does happen, don't be surprised if it takes a while. LRG has a waiting list, and has to release the games it already has contracts for before it can release other new titles. Chances are good that any LRG release for the game will happen after the digital release. Be ready to be patient.

Free weekly PSN junk:

Tokyo Xanadu

Vita

- Free Item Set 1

- Free Item Set 2

- Free Item Set 3

- Free Item Set 4

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

PS4

- Theme

Monster Hunter World

PS4

- Announcement Avatar 'Rathalos' (Alt Link) * Seems to have disappeared.

- Announcement Avatar 'Hunter' (Alt Link) * Seems to have disappeared.

July PS+ Games (Not all are properly 'discounted' yet as of posting this)

Yeah, I know Crash isn't Japanese. Figured I'd add it to the list anyways since it probably has a fair bit of interest in this thread. Also doesn't look like any new sales this week, just a continuation of the Mid Year Sale from last week.

EDIT: The Monster Hunter World Avatars seems to have disappeared from the store currently.

EDIT 2: PS+ games are now all up and showing proper discounts.

It's entirely possible that it will happen. But even if it does happen, don't be surprised if it takes a while. LRG has a waiting list, and has to release the games it already has contracts for before it can release other new titles. Chances are good that any LRG release for the game will happen after the digital release. Be ready to be patient.
Yeah waiting isn't a problem. I'm still waiting on Cosmic Star Heroine from them. It's not like I was planning on playing it anytime soon. This is CAG after all, if you don't have a huge backlog your doing it wrong. Hell I haven't finished the first .hack series yet. :lol:

Glad for Demon Gaze 2....will eventually get that...likely not LE...well maybe I have the original LE. Penny Punching Princess seems OK too.

Just a quick reminder for the couple of PC gamers here. The Steam Summer Sale ends tomorrow when the store updates, which is a little less than 15 hours from this post.

In regards to those games related to this thread that are on sale on steam at the moment, have any of them ever gotten bundle sales in any sites? 

For anyone interested, Rune Factory 4 is on sale for $20 at gamestop and amazon price matched them

~Worth it!~

Also Happy 4th for those here in the US

In regards to those games related to this thread that are on sale on steam at the moment, have any of them ever gotten bundle sales in any sites?
Visual Novels (And RPG Maker Games) get bundles with a decent frequency or at least ones that are a bit more obscure/indie so far. Though I don't think I've seen ones for visual novels that are a bit more well known in their specific genre, but nitrosmob would know more than me with that. However other games from the more well known publishers/localization teams tend to not do as much in the way of bundles from what I can remember. There are some rare cases, such as Ys Origin being bundled roughly three years ago once and I think Zestiria, Gurumin (x2) and Neptunia Re;Birth1 were also in a bundle at one point. I don't think they're particularly common as their niche corner seems to be self-sustaining as a business.

If you're using the Enhanced Steam addon, then when you visit a Steam store page it will tell you if its been bundled before as well as the lowest discount price that has been seen.

EDIT: Also here's a link to a search parameter of "Japan" and "Anime" for bundles to date. It should give you an idea on whats been bundled to figure out what is more commonly bundled.

Hey ,

I did a unboxing of the Limited Edition of Tokyo Xanadu for psvita. If anyone was interested in it's collector's edition. I know you guys appreciated my Birthdays the Beginning unboxing, so I thought this would be helpful.

https://youtu.be/dmAspwwRlK4

I do agree VNs from higher profile companies are rarely if ever bundled.

Mangagamer has done I believe 2 or 3 Indiegala bundles, mainly for older games. Jast USA did a Groupees bundle or two (I doubt anyone is wanting to specifically do Groupees bundles anymore). Sekai Project has had 1 bundle very recently on Humble. They are very rare and in between, and usually involve older titles, so don't be afraid to support them on their sales on Steam or regardless. Other various indie VNs usually on the non doujin variety are bundled fairly often. Doujin VNs.....not so much.

This is similar with games like Princess Maker, Neptunia games, Senran Kagura, etc... They just are rarely bundled, so support the good sale prices too. Hopefully this helps some people making last minute Steam sale or future sale purchases.

Hey ,

I did a unboxing of the Limited Edition of Tokyo Xanadu for psvita. If anyone was interested in it's collector's edition. I know you guys appreciated my Birthdays the Beginning unboxing, so I thought this would be helpful.

https://youtu.be/dmAspwwRlK4
Uh....anyone actually playing TX? I can't believe I already sunk 18 hours into it this weekend. Considering I highly doubt the PS4 version is going to be updated from your Vita save (eX+ has an epilogue chapter to finish off the story I think). And I promised myself I'd get back to Persona 5 :whistle2:(

Considering I highly doubt the PS4 version is going to be updated from your Vita save (eX+ has an epilogue chapter to finish off the story I think).
There is no cross-save or save importing in any capacity between Tokyo Xanadu & the eX+ version. There's too many new changes on top of the new content for it to be feasible.

Yeah, I bought Tokyo Xanadu for the collection only. It seems bonkers to play it with the updated one on the way.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I bought Tokyo Xanadu for the collection only. It seems bonkers to play it with the updated one on the way.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
So did I. Though, I'm a sucker for Falcom and Vita releases. I'll probably pass on the PS4 LE whenever it is released.

Same price for non-Prime members.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition - $44.32

The game isn't even out and it's already getting a discount.

post-490570-0-82475200-1414029978.gif
You sir win the forum for the day!

riker.gif

So did I. Though, I'm a sucker for Falcom and Vita releases. I'll probably pass on the PS4 LE whenever it is released.
But don't you want that White Shroud figure?

Eh...

Yeah....

I swear if they'd gone with an Asuka or Sora figure the PS4 LE woulda been sold out in minutes.

I'm not sure that paying $44 for a shitty looking fighting game is a good deal.   I think I'll buy it at $20. 

On NisAmerica.com with recent announcements for Switch .. Which Switch games on NISA are going to be the only way to obtain a physical copy of them..? I'm guessing "Penny-Punching Princess" & Nights of Azure 2".. Release date for Penny-Punching Princess is a long way off still.. but don't want to miss out if quantities are actually lower than usual games..

bread's done
Back