Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
D3 Publisher Teases A PS4 And PS Vita Fantasy Game With An Orc-Dating Sim

New Gal Gun game playable at TGS 2017

Atelier Lydie & Suelle, Dynasty Warriors 9, Fire Emblem Warriors Lead Koei Tecmo’s TGS 2017 Lineup

Konami announces TGS 2017 lineup

Sun Ce, Ma Chao, And Jia Chong Shown Off For Dynasty Warriors 9

Otome Game Les Fleursword Offers Many Bachelors In An Age Of Swords & Magic

Crystal, Red Crystal, Blue Crystal, Steel Black, And Midnight Blue DualShock 4 Colors Revealed

Elise Revealed As A Playable Character For Fire Emblem Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNN1Z8RBB8

NieR: Automata And NieR Gestalt & RepliCant OST Vinyl Records Release This December In Japan

DIn_JRn_FUQAEk3oc.jpg

I want a Catherine re-make like they did for the iOS port of 999, all the story, none of the puzzles at least as an option. I was starting to get interested in the story, but I found no fun in the block puzzles, and I generally like puzzle games.

Did anyone see if there is a way to reverse the camera axes in this? I didn't see it but maybe I missed something.
You mean invert the X or Y camera axis? Yes, it's in the options. Can also rebind all the keys, which is something more console games need to include.

[customspoiler='Screenshot']
FhSKcOG.jpg
[/customspoiler]

The last boss level in Catherine, whoo that one was a doozy.  That took me several tries before I was able to beat it.   The rest of the block levels were a piece of cake though.  But I know what you guys mean.  I feel like it was more the overriding aura of doom and despair that made the block levels more anxiety-inducing that they needed to be. 

Perhaps they would have done a little better using lighter themes instead of having a nightmare tone when it comes to those levels. 

That arcade machine tho... whew those levels were tough.  I hardly progressed in that. 

I loved Catherine just the way it was. I thought it was the perfect blend of puzzle and story. I actually started it up recently again to see the other endings. It was one of my favorite games from last gen. I hope it stays fairly similar, although I'm sure they would want to build on the idea in some way.
Hands down, Catherine's my favorite Atlus game. Loved everything about it.

NA PSN Pax Sale just went live.

Some pretty good deals on there. Tales series, YS, FF classics, Catherine.

Think I'll get Steins;Gate 0.

This is kind of random, but if anyone still hasn't redeemed the DLC code in the P4DAN:CE, it expires on 9/29/17, so the end of this month. In case anyone still has their's unopened, or were looking to sell theirs, or forgot/too lazy to redeem it, or even was waiting for a sale to get it, should probably do so asap. Has 14 costumes and bonus song.

And better female characters as the romantic options in that game were ass. The waitress was the only decent one but there's spoilers why you wouldn't romance that one. Ignoring the waitress is child hood friends with most of the cast.
Can you even consider it as "romancing" them? I thought it was just choosing which ending you wanted. You barely interacted with either, and when I think of romancing I think more of like the social links in Persona, or the dates in GTA San Andreas. This one was just, pick your poison.

I beat the game once and never got to the other endings. But I did read all the ending synopsis online, and some of them seemed really awesome. The side characters are pretty interesting, like Roy Mustang, and they get involved in the endings too. So more on that front in the sequel would be nice.

Is anyone else finding the Gundam Versus beta to have extreme lag when playing online? It's definitely not my internet connection, plus I'm playing with an ethernet hook up. I'm absolutely loving the offline portions of the beta, but it's some of the worst online lag I've ever seen.

Is anyone else finding the Gundam Versus beta to have extreme lag when playing online? It's definitely not my internet connection, plus I'm playing with an ethernet hook up. I'm absolutely loving the offline portions of the beta, but it's some of the worst online lag I've ever seen.
Haven't tried the online portion yet, but most betas are going to have lag issues. It's to be expected.

While on the subject, I too am enjoying the offline portion even though controls take some getting used and are not really explained. Better than the dissidia beta though, with that, I still have trouble playing in general since I find the controls awkward and the targeting system aren't properly cycling through the targets.

Week 2 of the release bonanza and I forgot to list Everybody's Golf last week. For western releases this week, it's pretty much just Destiny 2. This is a pretty heavy week from just the sheer number thanks to Steam as usual.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Yandere School (Action) [Not Yandere Simulator]
- Four Horsemen (Visual Novel)
- Wonderful Everyday Down the Rabbit-Hole (Visual Novel)
- Sangokushi Eiketsuden / 三國志英傑伝 (RPG | JP Language Only)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII with Power Up Kit / 三國志VIII with パワーアップキット (Strategy | JP Language Only)
- NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Reppuden with Power Up Kit / 信長の野望・烈風伝 with パワーアップキット (Strategy | JP Language Only)
- Xtrike (Strategy / Early Access)

Weekly Releases (September 3rd - September 9th)

Crystareino
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: KEMCO Mobile Port. Likely digital only.

Monster Hunter Stories
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Demo carries over progression into the full game. You get bonuses for carrying over from the demo.

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Strategy RPG
- Comments: Direct sequel to Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception.

Knack 2
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Co-op is local only.

Senko no Ronde 2 旋光の輪舞2
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Fighting/SHMUP Hybrid
- Demo: PS4 Only.
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Should be releasing for the PS4 this week.

Drive Girls
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash

Splatoon 2 Neon Green/Pink Nintendo Switch Console (Console Bundle)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter / Console Bundle
- Comments: Comes with a Splatoon 2 themed carrying case as well as a digital copy of Splatoon 2.

Double Dragon IV
- Genre: Beat'em Up / Brawler
- Comments: Previously released for the PS4 & PC.

NeuroVoider
- Genre: Twin-Stick Shooter / RPG
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC. Reviewed fairly well on those platforms.

SCHOOL SIMULATOR MULTIPLAYER
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Simulation
- Comments: Another facepalm worthy game.

ProjectM : Daydream
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Comments: Korean dev. There's another free-to-play version of this on the store.

Edge of Atlantis
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Chinese dev. Early access.

A Robot Named Fight!
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Not Japanese. Literally a straight up metroid clone.

Bunka no Kenkyu - Revival of Queen Leyak -
- Genre: Visual Novel

Salty Fish Go!
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Guardian
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Triple Otakus Puzzle
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Trash tier game.

Legion Tale
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Indonesian dev.

Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: MangaGamer published. Can never unsee those Steam page screenshots.

Alchemage
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Chinese language only. Early access.

MeiMeiDance
- Comments: Chinese language only.

仙剑奇侠传四-Chinese Paladin 4
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Past Releases
August 27th - September 2nd
August 20th - August 26th
August 13th - August 19th
August 6th - August 12th
July 30th - August 5th

Well this is the beginning of it folks.  Week after week of multiple new quality releases right through early November.  Hope you worked a lot of overtime over the summer ;)

I've got Drive Girls and Utawarerumono: MOT coming in this week and am debating Monster Hunter Stories just because of how much fun I had with the demo.

Idea Factory’s Otomate announces several new otome visual novels for PS4, PS Vita

• Cendrillion phalikA (PS Vita)
  • Charade Maniacs (PS Vita)
  • Collar x Malice: Unlimited
  • Diabolik Lovers PS4 (Tentative) (PS4)
  • Piophiore no Banshou (PS Vita)
  • Shinku no Homura: Sanada no Ninpouchou (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Shiritsu Verbara Gakuen: The Rose of Versailles Re*imagination
  • Shiro to Kuro no Alice New Title
  • Tengai Ni Mau, Ikinahana (PS Vita)
  • Triangle Project (PC)
  • Variable Barricade (PS4, PS Vita)

Kamen Rider: Climax Fighters announced for PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kD_u7PNVFw

Catherine was great, and it makes me sad hearing there are people who want less game with their game.
Did someone say that? Sounds like people just want more variety. The story (the thing that drew pretty much everyone to the game) took a huge backseat to the block puzzles. The ratio of being able to walk around and interact with people to block puzzles was not good. The game definitely needed more variety and hopefully if a sequel happens, there is.

Since Kiwami has come out and I've actually gotten around to playing the series seriously for the first time, I've realized I'm not sure I like these games.

They make me too hungry.

Man that Secret of Mana Remake gameplay looks pretty poopy. Slow and so-so art. Really lacks the character of the original. I'm pretty disappointed.

Decided to preorder the Mary Skelter LE. I like the art enough that I think I'll enjoy the artbook and stuff.
I did the same, as I've been trying to cut down on these CE, but that one looked really good. So now I'll probably end up selling some of my most recent buys, that I don't want as much, as I'll now need some extra funds. LOL

Man that Secret of Mana Remake gameplay looks pretty poopy. Slow and so-so art. Really lacks the character of the original. I'm pretty disappointed.
Eh, the actual combat looks pretty damn similar to the original at the beginning of the game. The person I split purchases with actually bought it on PSN the moment he found out it was announced. So I'll likely give it a shot come February regardless of what's shown. I'll try and withhold judgement until I get actual hands on.

Did someone say that? Sounds like people just want more variety. The story (the thing that drew pretty much everyone to the game) took a huge backseat to the block puzzles. The ratio of being able to walk around and interact with people to block puzzles was not good. The game definitely needed more variety and hopefully if a sequel happens, there is.
You did, actually.

If they make another Catherine it needs more story and less block puzzles. I felt like I was just forcing myself to get through the block puzzles to see more of the story, which there wasn't nearly enough of.

The balance could be more persona-like, where it feels like the ratio is 70% real world 30% dungeon, depending on your ability. Like in P5 where you could either spend just one or two days in the palaces, or many days

Re: Secret of Mana remake

We'll see how faithful it is if they keep the tiger boss stunlocking your party to death, and then you stunlocking everything else to death afterwards.

Re: Etrian Odyssey

Expected, but still sad. Maybe they will do side-by-side on the Switch instead.

bread's done
Back