Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
PlayAsia has the Miku Project Diva DX controller for $160 shipped, lowest price I've seen if anyone is interested.

Is it okay if I think Pyra is hot?

Warning: Sorta NSFW.

[attachment=27978:6301383+_bb40847f2e6e74b2b1f4d369b92046bd.jpg][attachment=27979:commission__homura_by_chechoski-dbfmti1.jpg][attachment=27980:e21.png][attachment=27981:pyra_by_ruminalumina-dbdr5iq.jpg]

None of these were made by me btw. Thankfully. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake. I mean a real one, and not one of those HD skin packs sold for $50 that the PS3 and 4 are known for. I also wouldn't mind them just concentrating on whatever comes after. I really don't want to wait another decade for P6.
Pfft we'll be lucky if we see p6 by the time the ps6 is out.

Seriously, and that's just WWE. I've seen NJPW just pull out entire gimmicks from anime.
You mean the obvious one?

c290ff8f2226bf78fe5a2be226eaebff1457042598_full.jpg

1280x720-0gS.jpg

I enjoy what little I see of njpw so much more than wwe.

i don't understand why XC2 is being called 'chibi' in its art style. i guess the MC looks very young and his armor is chunkier, but Pyra i mean sweet heavens.

I'm with you. Pyra is great. I haven't watched too much gameplay stuff, but from what I can tell she isn't directly playable since she more augments your abilities? That's a minor bummer.

DCapo4ZUQAAglcm.jpg
If it turns out you can only control the main guy on field/in battle my interest in the game will go from like an 8/10 to a 1/10.

Welp, keel me over...It's always said that the bad news rolls in on Fridays:

Looks like Xseed won't be working on Sen III next.

"it's not trails or even falcom, so no it's not becky and her scottish accent lol i cannot write the accent of my people very well sadly"

Full context:

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/908739554659594240

Now I feel like:

1vy0k8.jpg

Did I bet with anyone about the "secret project?" Anyone? No? Good. Don't owe anyone money then.

Alternate meme to make it worse:

1vy15z.jpg

If it turns out you can only control the main guy on field/in battle my interest in the game will go from like an 8/10 to a 1/10.
You can control any of the "driver" characters. Pyra and the other "blades" give the controllable characters different abilities and appear on the battlefield, but don't actually do any fighting.

Asking again, does anyone know how long it takes Ideafactory to charge your card for an order? My Mary Skelter is still in Awaiting payment and I don't see any charge on my card yet. The email said they would charge 7 days before release so it should have charged by now right?

Asking again, does anyone know how long it takes Ideafactory to charge your card for an order? My Mary Skelter is still in Awaiting payment and I don't see any charge on my card yet. The email said they would charge 7 days before release so it should have charged by now right?
Mine charged on Wednesday IIRC. If you don't see anything on your account yet, you may want to reach out to IFFY and make sure your payment wasn't declined - some cards block scheduled transactions for fraud prevention, and it tends to be worse if you haven't used the store before (or in a long time).

Week 4 of the release bonanza, but week 3 if you mostly just buy niche Japanese games. Not a particularly big week for anticipated releases compared to others and I threw in some more non-Japanese niche titles. Western wise, we have NBA 2K18 & Project CARS 2. There's also Thimbleweed Park on the Switch which I will recommend to those who enjoy old school Lucas Arts games.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Wo Yao Da 我要大 (Action)
- Short Stories Collection of Class Tangerine (Visual Novel)
- Citadale: The Legends Trilogy (Action Platformer)
- His Chuunibyou Cannot Be Cured! (Visual Novel / Early Access)
- Accel World VS. Sword Art Online (Action RPG)

Weekly Releases (September 17th - September 23rd)

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes.

Pankapu
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: 2D Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: French dev.

Caveman Warriors
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Spanish dev.

Mary Skelter: Nightmares
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon RPG

SteamWorld Dig 2
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Comments: Not Japanese. Releases on PS4 & Vita next week.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Online: Yes?
- Comments: Previously released on the PS4, XB1 & PC.

Pokken Tournament DX
- Comments: Previously released on Wii U.

Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Remake of the original game arcade game by Jaleco. Devs are US based where the game was originally Japanese.

Blackguards 2
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Muv-Luv Alternative
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Released to backers a few weeks ago. Vita version "eventually."

Eternal Lore
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Thai dev.

Unbalance

Mystic Melee
- Genre: Action Platformer / Physics
- Comments: Early access. Not Japanese.

Fight'N Rage
- Genre: Beat'em Up / Sidescroller
- Online: Local only.

Supersonic Tank Cats
- Genre: Racing
- Online: Kinda. Work-in-progress.

Megatronic Void

Super Hydorah
- Genre: Sidescrolling SHMUP

Tricolour Lovestory
- Genre: Visual Novel

Mirror
- Genre: Match 3 / Rubbing

GooHuebelets

Darkest Hunters
- Genre: Puzzle Roguelike / RPG
- Online: Yes?
- Comments: Polish Dev. Mobile port. Looks interesting.

Past Releases
September 10th - September 16th
September 3rd - September 9th
August 27th - September 2nd
August 20th - August 26th
August 13th - August 19th

I am, but I don't really like interceptions, especially how they grade it. Suppression missions aren't as bad. Story is more interesting than past games, but it does take a long while to get to the main typical Ys story which is a little disappointing. I was kinda hoping they'd do a fleshed out Ys story after I heard so much about this being much more narrative driven. Granted it's still better than what we typically get from Ys games.

It's also interesting seeing some past game characters and watch them potentially setup future characters as well. It's something they do well with their Trails series, so this could be pretty interesting going forward.

Character wise, I'm not a fan of two party members with how they feel combat wise. Those two are the first strike member and the second pierce member. The first one being way too slow for my liking and the latter one just didn't click with me. Oh and Dogi, what did they do to you? I've gotten used to your looks by now, but what the hell happened.

Next time Draekon posts the new release list, Blue Reflection will be on it.

#goty

#thanksgust

#focusonprotectingmyfriendsfirstinbattles

HLTB says Celceta is 23 hours, not too bad, will start it after Danganronpa 3 because I really want to experience YS VIII, heard it is great on the Vita like WoFF.

So does anyone still refer to their backlog as their "Pile of shame?"  I'm pretty sure I heard that term way back 10 or more years ago on this site and is my preferred term to the countless number of games I have that go unplayed lol.

So does anyone still refer to their backlog as their "Pile of shame?" I'm pretty sure I heard that term way back 10 or more years ago on this site and is my preferred term to the countless number of games I have that go unplayed lol.
I do. I don't care about beating everything because it's probably impossible. Instead I shoot for the attainable goal of at least opening/playing everything, then once I get a feel for it I assign it a rating to prioritize what I want to play. Helps you not feel guilty about it. I also like someone's tip from here, I think it was BRW, to just every now and then go through your collection and flip through art books, etc. I used to leave stuff sealed until I played it "that way in case I decide to sell it I could sell it for more", but it's so much better to just open stuff and enjoy it even if it's only for an hour.

If Japan ever trends away from bishoujo protagonists / fanservice games, or console games start going super DRM-heavy, I'll be happy I have the backlog then at least, but to say that I'm planning for something like that would just be lying to downplay a lack of self-control.

http://darkadia.com also refers to it as the 'pile of shame'

bread's done
Back