Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiice. Now they can announce Sen no Kiseki III Zero no Kiseki Ys Vs. Sora no Kiseki Britt's secret project.

Eh, going against the popular opinion isn't anything new. So long as people backup saying why they dislike something, it's not a huge deal. The weight I place on something may not necessarily be the same as someone else. In the case of Breath of the Wild the poorly implemented durability and food/potion systems are what mostly did me in by the time I said I had enough and went to finish the last boss. I'll always have negative things to say on just about every game but it doesn't necessarily make it a terrible game and vise versa.

A friend lent me Valkyria Revolution when he visited last Wednesday though... I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about that game. Playing it feels like getting hit in the face with a frying pan repeatedly and I'm not sure I'll finish it prior to Mario Odyssey. If Mario hits first, I'll never touch the game again though. Not to mention the longer I look at the characters faces in Valkyria Revolution, the more I see them as some kind of very creepy uncanny valley because of their eyes.
Yup, for Drake to sound off an opinion like that (valid as it is) online you have intestinal fortitude greater than Nathan Drake himself. Which, speaking of Uncharted...I personally found the series a bit overrated. Especially 1 and 2. Still had fun though. But that's another forum post.

Yeah I only spent a few hours in Valkyria Revolution. Very dull. Except for the music. I loved the somber music that plays at the "menu" screen. Kind of enjoyed how you got to interact with that screen. Too bad the rest of the game wasn't like that.

https://youtu.be/KrO4eY-DMeo

I thought BOTW was pretty rad. Best Zelda since WW, which was the best Zelda since the Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Which are just the best Zelda games.

tl;dr Capcom made the best Zelda games.

I thought BOTW was pretty rad. Best Zelda since WW, which was the best Zelda since the Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Which are just the best Zelda games.

tl;dr Capcom made the best Zelda games.
Completely agree on the Oracle games, as those and Link's Awakening are my favorites in the series.

So in the span of about two weeks at the end of January we have:

Ni no Kuni II (CE) 1/18

Monster Hunter World 1/26

Dragonball Z Fighters 1/26

Dissidia Final Fantasy (Steelbook Ed.) 1/30

My Poor Wallet....

Uh, it's not exactly a reach or a bold move to say Zelda sucks. Lots of people have said that.
Well I'm not sure if Drake said it's bad...he just didn't like it as much as other people did. I think...not to put words in his mouth (though I think I might have, sorry man! :( )

Still trying to figure out why Zelda is so popular. It's like one of the great mysteries of life to me.

In other news, The Analogue SNES NT is releasing the original unreleased director's cut of Super Turrican, it'll be pre-loaded on the console.
It's a little disappointing that there won't be a physical cartridge. But I'm certainly not going to object to having a couple of free games getting pre-loaded onto the system I pre-ordered. Apparently, they are going to be including Super Turrican: Director's Cut, as well as Super Turrican 2. There will be a physical box, comparable to the original SNES boxes. But those are always paper, so it just isn't as nice as a hefty, physical cartridge. They already had me on the hook for the feature set and design of the Super NT, though. So all this is icing on the cake for me.

Seems fitting. Sony gets the mainline series Persona while Nintendo gets all the spinoffs: PQ, SMT, DeSu
I want to apologize ahead of time in case it just so happens that you're joking, because I honestly can't tell.

Shin Megami Tensei came out in 1992, Persona came out in 1996. Persona is the spinoff, not SMT..

I want to apologize ahead of time in case it just so happens that you're joking, because I honestly can't tell.
He's not.

417e7b9089bcc20c4909df8954c6e742.gif

Persona took over and is now the true mainline. Mostly because the audience grew up. Whereas SMT is about teenagers with katanas acting edgy and killing god Persona is about the slow death of apathy in society, man's inhumanity to man, and the eternal question as to whether it's better to fuck a maid teacher or a goth doctor. Adult stuff.

It looks like Nioh Complete on PC will indeed have real graphic options. The Action & Movie settings are just graphical presets like Low/Med/High. Sad that it has to be considered news since it's Koei Tecmo. Also as a side note, it looks like it won't have Denuvo DRM either.

Do I need to play the other Neptunia game to enjoy VII?
Not really. There's a couple of funny references if you've played the previous games, but ultimately each Neptunia game has their own story from beginning to end. The canon is actually all over the place. Neptune's pretty much the same character in each game without much or any character development, so playing her in VII is like playing her in anything else. There's also a couple of new important side characters like Uzume, in VII. There's some returning side characters too like always, IF, Compa, etc. but they do a terrific job explaining who each person is in every game.

I also wanted to say, I think Cyberdimension Neptunia is part of the canon. I didn't realize it at first, but it seems to be a sequel to VII and not a spin-off.

Yup, for Drake to sound off an opinion like that (valid as it is) online you have intestinal fortitude greater than Nathan Drake himself. Which, speaking of Uncharted...I personally found the series a bit overrated. Especially 1 and 2. Still had fun though. But that's another forum post.
Yeah, I'm a huge Sony fanboy, but I thought Uncharted 1 was super overrated. Uncharted 4 was so-so too. I also thought The Last of Us was kinda overrated. I think they are great games, but I didn't get that feeling of standing on top of Everest like others seem to get when they play them. Rather, I got that feeling from playing Persona 5, GTA V, and Nier: Automata.

teenagers with katanas acting edgy and killing god
Sounds kinda like Persona to me.

God damn it, I accidentally ordered the Switch version of the Nights of Azure 2 collector's edition. FML

Don't suppose anyone here would be interested in buying it?

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (Zwei II Plus) seems to be releasing next week on Halloween. Wow, barely eight days of prior notice. XSeed is going for a new no marketing record. Price is $30 with a 10% launch week discount and PC platforms are Steam & GOG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD4toLQwIf8

He's not.

417e7b9089bcc20c4909df8954c6e742.gif
O-oh.. shit.

Persona took over and is now the true mainline. Mostly because the audience grew up. Whereas SMT is about teenagers with katanas acting edgy and killing god Persona is about the slow death of apathy in society, man's inhumanity to man, and the eternal question as to whether it's better to fuck a maid teacher or a goth doctor. Adult stuff.
..Right..

-Snicker- Well, that's my cue.

Is the game inside still sealed? If you explain it to NISA you might be able to swap just the game / DLC codes, as I believe the other contents should be identical?
The game is still sealed, yes. Not sure about the contents being the same. I actually already ordered a PS4 version. Hoping to unload the one I have and maybe break even.

Weekly free PSN junk:

Gran Turismo Sport

PS4

- Scapes

Nights of Azure 2

PS4

- Bonus Costume: Timenoid Restrains

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle

Vita

- Burst Battle 4 Theme

South Park: The Factured but Whole

PS4

- Demo (Alt Link)

I forgot to list the Gran Turismo one last week, but it shouldn't be a limited time one so I didn't bother updating my list for it. As for sales, there's a NISA Publisher Sale going on that's pretty thread related. Some things are up to 90% off with a PS+ Sub, but most seem to be 60%-75%. Other than that you've got the Sale of the Dead Week 2 going on as well. It has a few thread related games too.

Not really. There's a couple of funny references if you've played the previous games, but ultimately each Neptunia game has their own story from beginning to end. The canon is actually all over the place. Neptune's pretty much the same character in each game without much or any character development, so playing her in VII is like playing her in anything else. There's also a couple of new important side characters like Uzume, in VII. There's some returning side characters too like always, IF, Compa, etc. but they do a terrific job explaining who each person is in every game.

I also wanted to say, I think Cyberdimension Neptunia is part of the canon. I didn't realize it at first, but it seems to be a sequel to VII and not a spin-off.

Yeah, I'm a huge Sony fanboy, but I thought Uncharted 1 was super overrated. Uncharted 4 was so-so too. I also thought The Last of Us was kinda overrated. I think they are great games, but I didn't get that feeling of standing on top of Everest like others seem to get when they play them. Rather, I got that feeling from playing Persona 5, GTA V, and Nier: Automata.

Sounds kinda like Persona to me.
Yu is the only katana user in the series to my knowledge. Ignoring that vanillas mc was a multi weapon. Miss being able to use a bus stop sign :/

bread's done
Back