Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'd mainly be playing in handheld mode, still playable or avoid?
Honestly I can't recommend it if it's handheld mostly, It reminds me of SAO Hollow Realization on VITA(Not saying the game looks as bad we're just talking frames) where if you can get used to the drops the game is playable... but most people will notice something is off.

They do a temp hold, but I swear it last for weeks. As I see it for extended periods each and every time I buy something online with them.
I can add to this. They put a temp hold when you first order it, then it goes away. It seems to randomly come back until the item is shipped. I guess it randomly comes back from time to time to make sure the funds are still there? I dunno. Just make sure you have enough to cover it from the time you pre-order until the release date.

I personally stay away from pre-ordering games from Best Best with a debit/credit card if they won't be released for a long time because of this.

I can add to this. They put a temp hold when you first order it, then it goes away. It seems to randomly come back until the item is shipped. I guess it randomly comes back from time to time to make sure the funds are still there? I dunno. Just make sure you have enough to cover it from the time you pre-order until the release date.

I personally stay away from pre-ordering games from Best Best with a debit/credit card if they won't be released for a long time because of this.
Yeah, that's probably sound advice. I've only ever preordered an Amiibo or two from them, so the hold amount has always been rather small. Otherwise, it very easily could have been an issue.

Well, I finished Summon Night 6 and I wasn't particularly keen on the game throughout pretty much the entire playthrough.

The story was extremely basic where it only actually went somewhere in the last four or five chapters. Prior to that the game literally went around in circles accomplishing damn near nothing just so it could add in more cast to the game itself. The ending was also extremely abrupt in how they portrayed it, leaving it rather unsatisfying after finishing. Oh and to top it off, it has absolutely zero impact towards the Summon Night universe. It's literally a fan game with no meaning beyond bringing a bunch of previous game characters together.

As for the voice acting, it a wholly unimpressive, unenthusiastic and basically monotone except for a few instances. It's almost akin to Chaos Wars with how incredibly boring it felt, but not quite on that level of so bad it's actually hilarious. There was nothing I could laugh at with this one, causing me to turn the voices off in options about 3/4ths of the way through. Granted that was mostly due to other reasons unrelated to story.

The translation is still very Vic Ireland. You've got a lot of what I'd consider poor translation or making an asshole into a complete and utterly terrible character. I'd also say the editing of the text was not particularly good either. Far too often I'd have to re-read things because the way it was written in a way that did not connect with me at all. Obviously I don't know what the original dialogue was, so I can't say how accurate the actual translation was, but it did not even close to right at all. It felt like the worst Vic Ireland translation from what I remember of his past works.

The graphics are more or less fine. It's a pretty colorful game in general, but that's the way the series typically is. It's nice seeing old characters in 3D as well, which to most of you would be the first time seeing them. They always use very simple designs that convey a fair amount of personality with just the design itself.

Gameplay is more or less fine for combat. If you're flanking or attacking from their rear, you'll do more damage and they'll have less chance of hitting you/countering. Height matters too, however more than a couple steps and your magic or other ranged attacks won't be able to even attack them. I found that a bit unfortunate as I think it would've added a bit more to positioning for certain maps. For the most part though, maps were pretty bland when it came to strategy. There were even a few interesting concepts were only used a handful of times, most of which were closer to the end of the game.

Spells were somewhat bland too. For the most part it's a typical strength/weakness system. However you could learn Unitization to bring out a physical summon into battle. Although they're entirely useless. They don't seem to be able to cast spells and can only initiate normal attacks. While they're out, nobody can cast spells from that summon either. Only the one who used unitization can call them back as well, using up another turn. They'd make decent fodder if it wasn't for the fact that they cost so much MP to summon.

I think the biggest issue with the gameplay for me was the feeling of everything needing to grind outside of the main story. Fishing? Mash a button to reel in. Enough fish pulled up you get a new rank which could be a new rod or lure. Other "achievements" with fishing will net you Summonite Leaves that can grant you party skills if you collect certain combinations. They had ones that went as far as getting all fish at their maximum weight and minimum weight.

Then you've got the "Endless Domain" that I went through 1/3rd of before I stopped bothering as the perks for going through that was one Summonite Leaf per level (most of the time) and some meager experience/money that slowly went up.

Quests were somewhat interesting, but really lacked any variance to the system. Level didn't really seem to matter in that after a certain point based on the enemies level. For example if an enemy was level 20 but you were 25, you'd deal and receive the same amount of damage as a level 99 character. Anything below 25 would deal less and receive more though. Once again though, the only real reason to do these are Summonite Leaves again, much like Endless Domain and Fishing.

Cooking was entirely useless I felt as was a real grind to actually obtain anything decent. You gain recipes through fishing by earning achievements. I didn't get all of them so I can't say if later ones are useful, but I put maybe two hours into fishing and all I have to show for it was a bunch of food that restored HP and MP for minuscule amounts. What am I supposed to do with food that restores 15 or 30 MP when spells cost anywhere from 15-150? Not even counting combo spells (I forget the term used for them).

I did somewhat enjoy a few random interactions during non-story events, but due to the translation and editing those were far and few between. I just can't recommend this game at all. It's not worse than Valkyria Revolution, but I'm honestly surprised I finished it. I suppose if I didn't let the game auto-play itself to store up experience while I was doing other things, I don't think I would have. If I were to recommend a game between 5 and 6? I'd say go with 5 all the way. It's a better game in every aspect.

tl;dr I did not enjoy it and would recommend Summon Night 5 over this any day of the week.

On to Demon Gaze II and Horizon: The Frozen Wilds expansion until Xenoblade Chronicles II releases I guess.

EDIT: Oops, wrote Valkyria Chronicles instead of Revolution.

Yeah, anything that Vic Ireland touches is instantly garbaged, from a variety of aspects.

I guess I don't have to worry too much about having not picked it up right away, and can just wait for a good price to snag a copy.

I'm sure by that time they'll have released another 5 variants anyways.

Well, I finished Summon Night 6 and I wasn't particularly keen on the game throughout pretty much the entire playthrough.

On to Demon Gaze II and Horizon: The Frozen Wilds expansion until Xenoblade Chronicles II releases I guess.
Thanks for the review and will remove it from the "Games I may play if I have nothing better to do" list.

Currently knocking out 4 Goddesses Online and this is a rather entertaining entry into the Neptunia lineup. Sure there are some rough spots but for this being their first run on the UE4 engine I am rather impressed with what they accomplished. Writing and humor has been pretty on point for the series and the new Noire voice is not too bad. Trying to wrap this up before Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out. Did not care for X1 or X2 but hey third times a charm?

Yeah, anything that Vic Ireland touches is instantly garbaged, from a variety of aspects.

I guess I don't have to worry too much about having not picked it up right away, and can just wait for a good price to snag a copy.

I'm sure by that time they'll have released another 5 variants anyways.
His earlier translations weren't as bad because everything we got back then was so god damn terrible. Now-a-days with Atlus and XSeed, it's just not remotely comparable. Hell, even NISA (bar Ys VIII) is better. I just don't understand why he insists on using low grade/uncommon terminology and pop culture references in everything he does. They sure as hell don't age and they don't really fit.

It's not entirely his fault though. The game itself just isn't that good beyond basic gameplay. It's too much of a fanservice game for people who've played the main Summon Night series. I can't believe the story literally goes in circles for like 80% of the game repeating the same damn thing over and over. "Someone's being attacked, we've got to save them!", "We've got to save XXX, they're being controlled!" or "I need to find the person I was with before I came here!" literally describes most of the game right there. Actual progress towards the main objective doesn't really exist until near the end. It's just... bad. I can understand why it's not well liked in Japan.

The story was extremely basic where it only actually went somewhere in the last four or five chapters. Prior to that the game literally went around in circles accomplishing damn near nothing just so it could add in more cast to the game itself. The ending was also extremely abrupt in how they portrayed it, leaving it rather unsatisfying after finishing. Oh and to top it off, it has absolutely zero impact towards the Summon Night universe. It's literally a fan game with no meaning beyond bringing a bunch of previous game characters together.

As for the voice acting, it a wholly unimpressive, unenthusiastic and basically monotone except for a few instances. It's almost akin to Chaos Wars with how incredibly boring it felt, but not quite on that level of so bad it's actually hilarious. There was nothing I could laugh at with this one, causing me to turn the voices off in options about 3/4ths of the way through. Granted that was mostly due to other reasons unrelated to story.

The translation is still very Vic Ireland. You've got a lot of what I'd consider poor translation or making an asshole into a complete and utterly terrible character. I'd also say the editing of the text was not particularly good either. Far too often I'd have to re-read things because the way it was written in a way that did not connect with me at all. Obviously I don't know what the original dialogue was, so I can't say how accurate the actual translation was, but it did not even close to right at all. It felt like the worst Vic Ireland translation from what I remember of his past works.

The graphics are more or less fine. It's a pretty colorful game in general, but that's the way the series typically is. It's nice seeing old characters in 3D as well, which to most of you would be the first time seeing them. They always use very simple designs that convey a fair amount of personality with just the design itself.

Gameplay is more or less fine for combat. If you're flanking or attacking from their rear, you'll do more damage and they'll have less chance of hitting you/countering. Height matters too, however more than a couple steps and your magic or other ranged attacks won't be able to even attack them. I found that a bit unfortunate as I think it would've added a bit more to positioning for certain maps. For the most part though, maps were pretty bland when it came to strategy. There were even a few interesting concepts were only used a handful of times, most of which were closer to the end of the game.

Spells were somewhat bland too. For the most part it's a typical strength/weakness system. However you could learn Unitization to bring out a physical summon into battle. Although they're entirely useless. They don't seem to be able to cast spells and can only initiate normal attacks. While they're out, nobody can cast spells from that summon either. Only the one who used unitization can call them back as well, using up another turn. They'd make decent fodder if it wasn't for the fact that they cost so much MP to summon.

I think the biggest issue with the gameplay for me was the feeling of everything needing to grind outside of the main story. Fishing? Mash a button to reel in. Enough fish pulled up you get a new rank which could be a new rod or lure. Other "achievements" with fishing will net you Summonite Leaves that can grant you party skills if you collect certain combinations. They had ones that went as far as getting all fish at their maximum weight and minimum weight.

Then you've got the "Endless Domain" that I went through 1/3rd of before I stopped bothering as the perks for going through that was one Summonite Leaf per level (most of the time) and some meager experience/money that slowly went up.

Quests were somewhat interesting, but really lacked any variance to the system. Level didn't really seem to matter in that after a certain point based on the enemies level. For example if an enemy was level 20 but you were 25, you'd deal and receive the same amount of damage as a level 99 character. Anything below 25 would deal less and receive more though. Once again though, the only real reason to do these are Summonite Leaves again, much like Endless Domain and Fishing.

Cooking was entirely useless I felt as was a real grind to actually obtain anything decent. You gain recipes through fishing by earning achievements. I didn't get all of them so I can't say if later ones are useful, but I put maybe two hours into fishing and all I have to show for it was a bunch of food that restored HP and MP for minuscule amounts. What am I supposed to do with food that restores 15 or 30 MP when spells cost anywhere from 15-150? Not even counting combo spells (I forget the term used for them).

I did somewhat enjoy a few random interactions during non-story events, but due to the translation and editing those were far and few between. I just can't recommend this game at all. It's not worse than Valkyria Revolution, but I'm honestly surprised I finished it. I suppose if I didn't let the game auto-play itself to store up experience while I was doing other things, I don't think I would have. If I were to recommend a game between 5 and 6? I'd say go with 5 all the way. It's a better game in every aspect.

tl;dr I did not enjoy it and would recommend Summon Night 5 over this any day of the week.

EDIT: Oops, wrote Valkyria Chronicles instead of Revolution.
I'm playing it now and have already started to skip the little skits. I see this as a game where I'll churn out a platinum, and then go onto another game. I got this in the mail and figured, "meh, why not." I wish I would have put it on the shelf and started Ys Origins or Ys VIII instead.

I'm playing it now and have already started to skip the little skits. I see this as a game where I'll churn out a platinum, and then go onto another game. I got this in the mail and figured, "meh, why not." I wish I would have put it on the shelf and started Ys Origins or Ys VIII instead.
All fishing orders, summonite leafs, and night conversations will take a bit of grinding. I'd also recommend waiting on Ys VIII until the re-translation patch hits too. Origins isn't a long game, but you may want to go through it two or three times for story reasons.

All fishing orders, summonite leafs, and night conversations will take a bit of grinding. I'd also recommend waiting on Ys VIII until the re-translation patch hits too. Origins isn't a long game, but you may want to go through it two or three times for story reasons.
Thanks for the insight. I churned out a ton of fishing on my lunch break earlier. Good mindless activity involved while I sit in my car for an hour, lol. I generally go into Falcom games knowing I'll have a few playthroughs, especially whenever a nightmare difficulty level is involved. I didn't realize they did such a bad job translating Ys VIII. I knew people had a lot of complaints, but I haven't looked into it too far. It's also not like I don't have tons of other games to play while we wait on the re-translating.

JastUSA released an uncensor patch for Eiyu Senki on steam.

https://www.jastusa.com/eiyu-senki-the-world-conquest-dlc

It is cheaper to buy it on steam plus the uncensor patch vs buying the uncensored version directly from Jast..

But at this time, the uncensor patch is missing the gallery mode of the full game. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Forgot to mention but Atelier Firis on Steam got a minor update last week that improved the 2D assets. Hopefully a sign of good things for the Lydie and Suelle PC port.

I wish they also made a LE for the PC version but I guess that's too much to ask for.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel PS4 Remaster Officially Announced with 4K and 60 FPS

Legend_Of_Heroes-3.jpg

ShinobiRefle: Senran Kagura Gets New Screenshots

Gotenks, Kid Buu, And Gohan Join The Roster In Dragon Ball FighterZ

Voez: physical version trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOaR_keF5s

Dynasty Warriors 9 Characters Announced: Cai Wenji, Ding Feng, Wei Yan, Zhang Jiao, and Zuo Ci

Attack on Titan 2 Shows How to Take Down a Titan in New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvkLjnV2hI

Here Are Shining Resonance Re:frain’s Limited Edition, Kirika Figures, And Store Bonuses In Japan

Looks like they're adding Turbo Mode, nice. Now we just need to wait for localization and see if Falcom added in the extra voice call hooks for XSeed to include all of the extra English dialogue that's in the PC version.

Seems like you'll be able to import a Cold Steel III save to act as if you're going through NG+ in both (?) games. That'd be nice for sure. Hopefully when XSeed brings it to PC, they add this in as well. That way I can go through all of them in order again whenever they release IV. If not, I'll just use a save file from someone else that at the very least allows for max bonding points.

[customspoiler='All I see when I look at that page']
rFT7gSC.gif
[/customspoiler]

oo32H4p.gif

Looks like they're adding Turbo Mode, nice. Now we just need to wait for localization and see if Falcom added in the extra voice call hooks for XSeed to include all of the extra English dialogue that's in the PC version.

Seems like you'll be able to import a Cold Steel III save to act as if you're going through NG+ in both (?) games. That'd be nice for sure. Hopefully when XSeed brings it to PC, they add this in as well. That way I can go through all of them in order again whenever they release IV. If not, I'll just use a save file from someone else that at the very least allows for max bonding points.
I couldn't be happier to see this get a release on the PS4. As a huge fan of Falcom and the Trails series, I look forward to replaying Cold Steel 1 & 2 after platinuming it on Vita. I'm waiting for a sale on Steam as I think my wife would beat me if I bought the PC port of games I already own at full MSRP. I love being able to import saves between the games. The save from CS1 to CS2 didn't break the game, but it was nice to start out with a few better items and some sepith to get things started. My biggest hope with the popularity of the series is that we also get the releases that never made it out of Japan along with new content.

My biggest hope with the popularity of the series is that we also get the releases that never made it out of Japan along with new content.
Would be nice. Cold Steel III pulls a a fair amount from all of the previous games I hear, which includes the Liberl (Sky) arc and the Crossbell arc (unlocalized). Not too surprising since there are multiple characters from both arcs that show up. While the editing for Zero is at around 60%, it still has a ways to go. Then you've got Ao/Azure that is still being translated was at 60% a few months ago I believe. Which of course you still have editing after that.

Can't wait for the Calvard arc to see what their intelligence agency does. There's a good chance the main character may be part of that as well given who's running it. After that then you've likely got the finale arc that will likely involve Leman State and the Principality of Remifera. Given what Kevin can do, that shit will probably be pretty crazy once the church goes full in.

Unfortunately, Tales of Berseria won't be $20 as I hoped at Gamestop for Black Friday. But Yakuza 0 will be 29.99 over there. So there is that. 

Wow Sekai Project just sent me an email that Root Double for Vita is in the final stages of QA and will be submitted to Sony in a few weeks. How long has it been since they acknowledged progress on any of their Vita ports?

Wow Sekai Project just sent me an email that Root Double for Vita is in the final stages of QA and will be submitted to Sony in a few weeks. How long has it been since they acknowledged progress on any of their Vita ports?
That's nice and all. But what about Grisaia Vita?

World End Econmica and Fault Milestone are playable at PSX and Rabi Ribi came out a week or so ago.

However, they aren't really forthcoming about these details.

You used to be able to count on GS for one. thing. That was $20 Tales games on BF!
At least Yakuza 0 is 29.99!

Some quick Overwatch news for those interested. Moira is now live on all platforms as of a few hours ago. With this the Mercy nerf and the Ana buff have gone live as well. Patch Notes. The new map still isn't on PTR and won't release until early next year.

I don't expect anything more until December 5th, when I'd wager the Christmas event kicks in for three weeks.

The Gamestop Black Friday ad is pretty damn good, best one I've seen yet.

The PS4 slim 1tb is only $150, (if you factor in the $50 GC.) I know there's a few of us in this thread who don't have one yet, I think Motaku96 and Chrislaustin, and this might be the time to get it.

And as Olengie mention, Yakuza 0 is $30, which is the cheapest I've seen, and the only ad I saw with it. Persona 5 is also $30, both Kingdom Hearts are $20 each, Dragon Quest Heroes is $25, and Everybody's Golf is $20. I thought I saw Nier: Automata for $25 but couldn't find it again, might've been another ad. Those are the niche games that stood out to me. 

Got a random hey don't forget to use $5 at Gamestop and it expires at the end of November. I'm going to decide if I want to get the Kingdom Hearts PS4 games buying them yet again. I may just get 2.8 or whatever it is. I'm tired of rebuying KH games for sure.

The Gamestop Black Friday ad is pretty damn good, best one I've seen yet.

The PS4 slim 1tb is only $150, (if you factor in the $50 GC.) I know there's a few of us in this thread who don't have one yet, I think Motaku96 and Chrislaustin, and this might be the time to get it.
Very true, and thanks for the heads up. As $200 and under for the 1TB is pretty sweet. I discussed here recently how I might wait on the Pro down the road, as I really don't have the time currently to start any PS4 games. And with my PS3/360 backlog, and my sons new NS, plus 3DS/Vita, I have more than enough to play currently.

I don't expect the Pro the get to $200 for a few years, so I still may grab the Slim this holiday or down the road. I just haven't looked much in to it currently, due to time issues.

When I bought Kingdom Hearts 2.8 off Amazon maybe around six months ago I got the EU veresion with the 'Pegi 16' plastered across the front of it.   Didn't want to waste one of my returns at the time, if you know what I mean by that.   But now I regret that I didn't send it back because it really bugs me that I have a EU version of the game for my collection.   Anyone else feel this same way? or ever have this happen? or am I crazy?

When I bought Kingdom Hearts 2.8 off Amazon maybe around six months ago I got the EU veresion with the 'Pegi 16' plastered across the front of it. Didn't want to waste one of my returns at the time, if you know what I mean by that. But now I regret that I didn't send it back because it really bugs me that I have a EU version of the game for my collection. Anyone else feel this same way? or ever have this happen? or am I crazy?
I've had this happen when buying through AWD. 4/5 of the returns I've done this year were because of that. I always just send them back immediately - if I buy an item from the US/ESRB listing for the item I think it's reasonable that I should expect to receive the US/ESRB version of it.

When I bought Kingdom Hearts 2.8 off Amazon maybe around six months ago I got the EU veresion with the 'Pegi 16' plastered across the front of it. Didn't want to waste one of my returns at the time, if you know what I mean by that. But now I regret that I didn't send it back because it really bugs me that I have a EU version of the game for my collection. Anyone else feel this same way? or ever have this happen? or am I crazy?
I ordered the PS3 version of Steins;Gate a while ago and it was the UK version. I didn't have either version, but I am assuming either way, I can still get the trophies on it. Doesn't bother me much.

Some quick Overwatch news for those interested. Moira is now live on all platforms as of a few hours ago. With this the Mercy nerf and the Ana buff have gone live as well. Patch Notes. The new map still isn't on PTR and won't release until early next year.

I don't expect anything more until December 5th, when I'd wager the Christmas event kicks in for three weeks.
Nice, didn't know she was coming out so soon. Can't wait to try her out later =)

Those with KH2.8 did 0.2 feel laggy af for you like it did for me? I could hardly stand it coming from silky smooth KH2 a year ago on the PS3 (even in 30fps it felt super smooth in comparison to 0.2 on the PS4)

Those with KH2.8 did 0.2 feel laggy af for you like it did for me? I could hardly stand it coming from silky smooth KH2 a year ago on the PS3 (even in 30fps it felt super smooth in comparison to 0.2 on the PS4)
I thought the lag was just me, but I'm surprised to see someone else felt the same type of lag in the game.

That is an insanely good deal. If i were in the market for another PS4, I'd jump on this without a second thought.

PS4 is the machine to have this game generation IMHO. Too many good exclusives. I'm sad I got it right away when there were a few decent games, and not getting it for super cheap like some will this BF.

I thought the lag was just me, but I'm surprised to see someone else felt the same type of lag in the game.
Phew that's a relief, I had asked on the KH reddit but they mostly were fine with it / owned PS4 pro's. Which I think is silly for a series like KH. They kinda reassured me by saying how short 0.2's development cycle probably was and that KH3 will be better optimized. I sure hope so

I don't expect the Pro the get to $200 for a few years, so I still may grab the Slim this holiday or down the road. I just haven't looked much in to it currently, due to time issues.
Personally think this is the cheapest the PS4 Slim will ever be if you factor in the $50 GC

Cowboom doesn't exist anymore for dem cheap console deals. </3

Personally think this is the cheapest the PS4 Slim will ever be if you factor in the $50 GC

Cowboom doesn't exist anymore for dem cheap console deals. </3
Yeah, I seriously can't see a PS4 going any lower--especially not the 1TB slim. I hate to remember what I spent for my 500GB fat model bundled with Arkham Knight (which I got on a deal--but nothing close to this).

Haven't seen Dragonball in well over a decade, but still very sad news that Bulma's seiyuu Hiromi Tsuru has passed away at 57. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXe8vqdvx4

RIP

bread's done
Back