Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Over the months, you played 312 hours over 15 different games, while making the most progress in April with 72 hours of gameplay.

Top most-played games of 2017:

1: PERSONA 5 - 144 hours

2: YAKUZA 0 - 77 hours

3: NIER AUTOMATA  - 50 hours

In 2017, you earned a total of 136 trophies (Psst, that puts you in the top 10% off all trophy earners! Way to go!)"

April makes sense, that's when P5 came out.

203 hours over 54 games

Persona 5 - 44

Atelier Shallie - 36

Neptunia Four Goddesses - 28

So I pretty much spent less than an hour in at least 50 games (I'm not sure how much Sonic and Senran Kagura would take out of the remaining 95.) I think I shall retire from the CAG lifestyle to spend more time with my waifu. 

1300 hours over 49 games, with 184 in October.

Overwatch - 364
Persona 5 - 164
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (plat trophy grinded this) - 93

Pretty sure a solid chunk of those hours were spent idling in OW while watching anime.

Did manage to grab 767 trophies with 100 earned in July.

Hooray for stats!

Hatsune Miku VR Brings the Vocaloid to Steam VR in Early 2018

Limited Edition Valkyria Chronicles 4 PS4 Announced for Japan

Valkyria-_Chronicles-4-_PS4-_Model_01-18-18_001.jpg

Assault Gunners HD Edition for PS4, Wild Guns Reloaded for Switch, and Aragami for Xbox One rated in Taiwan

Your Four Knight Princess Training Story trailer #2

Monster Hunter World’s PS4 Open Beta Now Open: Time to Hunt Nergigante

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition for Nintendo Switch Gets First Action-Packed Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHnfWdRP3lw

New Metal Gear Survive Trailer Is All about Co-Op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOb020icOzk

Dynasty Warriors 9 Gets New Screenshots Showing Exploration, Hunting, Fishing and Gathering

Granblue Fantasy Project Re: Link Looks Amazing in First Direct-Feed Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odAeEqQTIrU

Your Four Knight Princesses Training Story Gets New Trailer Showing Praising and Action Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSDVfwQVE4

Attack on Titan 2 Shows Gameplay Running on Nintendo Switch and PS Vita in New Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5tJugVZtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqR5eQ2TyW0

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Gets New Trailer Showing Crossover Missions with Original Valkyria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLlmikrDLc

In the MH beta, I solo'd Nergigante with CB (Charge Blade). That dive attack of his caught me way off guard the first time. I'm looking forward to beating the MP version with friends later. :D

I also played the Metal Gear Survive beta. I did matchmaking with randoms on all the maps and it is really fun. I guess I  enjoy the crafting and the smooth gameplay.  Surprisingly, everyone in this beta is well organized and knows what to do. It makes it hard to top-score to get the best mats. :razz:

Here’s my stats. my 9-year-old uses the pstv, which is logged in under my name. #3 is about 95% him.

1st trophy - 1/1/17 overwatch “the friend zone”

371 hours over 92 games with 47 in January

1. Overwatch 53 hours
2. Minecraft Vita 26 hours
3. P4DAN 21 hours

304 trophies earned. 58 in February.

2017 wasn't my best year for gaming, even if it had some of the best games. So mine isn't super impressive. I think I may have also spent a lot of time leveling up alts in WoW or something, too.

My first trophy was in Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds -Overdrive- so shout out to Olengie.

347 hours over 95 different games (I did a lot of very briefly sampling games from the backlog this year)

Most progress in June with 80 hours.

Top 3:

Persona 5 82 hours

DiRT 4 50 hours

Samurai Warriors 4 32 hours

383 trophies, most trophies in July with 71.

Damn it all.... If it's any type of real cash microtransaction loot box bullshit this has gone from a must have day 1 buy from me to I'm never going to touch it as I hard line stance against any pay loot box mechanic cosmetic or otherwise.

Even if they are the non pay type, this is going to make me think twice about picking up this game anytime soon as I'm getting sick and tired of the industry trying to push these damn things as the norm.

It looks like avatar only. Im okay with that. Unless you guys want your avatar to look cool.
Even if it's just avatar stuff, if it's pay for I won't buy the game on principle.

Looking around a bit more it's looking like they're the non-microtrasnaction type, no real money involved. However it still looking awfully shady that they might have plans to implement pay for post launch down the line as if they're not why are they bothering having two different form of in game currencies for them.

Regardless my enthusiasm for this game has been taking down a notch or two.

Amazon has started some manner of February anime-themed sale, including games and manga. Hopefully, this will translate into some decent deals. At the moment, the only real bargain is the Gundam Vs. Deal. It's coming in around $25 at the moment, which is a very good deal. I feel a little silly having pre-ordered the game. (and still haven't played it properly) The holiday season was very busy. But the game has had a solid critical response, and is reported to be especially appealing for long-term Gundam fans. At $25 it is probably worth consideration.

Aside from that, I'm not seeing much in the way of deals.

I tried the DBFz beta it was a lot of fun even though I lost to all 5-10 people I played against lol

I think I miiight have won once during a rematch, at least

I also tried out the Dissidia beta and enjoyed it as well. Am I right in hearing people don't like it though? If so maybe I should try the originals on PSP which were well received. I've been playing FFV so it's cool to see the protagonist, Bartz, as a playable character

I tried the DBFz beta it was a lot of fun even though I lost to all 5-10 people I played against lol

I think I miiight have won once during a rematch, at least

I also tried out the Dissidia beta and enjoyed it as well. Am I right in hearing people don't like it though? If so maybe I should try the originals on PSP which were well received. I've been playing FFV so it's cool to see the protagonist, Bartz, as a playable character
I'm a big fan of the original Dissidia, don't care at all for the new one.

Even if it's just avatar stuff, if it's pay for I won't buy the game on principle.

Looking around a bit more it's looking like they're the non-microtrasnaction type, no real money involved. However it still looking awfully shady that they might have plans to implement pay for post launch down the line as if they're not why are they bothering having two different form of in game currencies for them.

Relax, all the loot box stuff is cosmetics. Most are for the in-game lobby system.
Also, the loot boxes use in-game currency, not real money. Even the "premium-z coins" are in-game.

Yep. The small stuff like loot boxes for simple lobby avatars is just the first step.

My enthusiasm was already down due to the character season pass and knowing there will be an extended release with everything down the line.

I honestly rather wait to see what these Loot Boxes are. Are they free? Do you unlock them with accomplishments? All someone said was "I got it from a Lootbox"

Is anyone buying The Lost Sphere physical release from Square Enix?

I want the game but do not like spending $50 on a digital game.

Just wish Amazon or Gamestop had it as I do not like going through them.

Is anyone buying The Lost Sphere physical release from Square Enix?

I want the game but do not like spending $50 on a digital game.

Just wish Amazon or Gamestop had it as I do not like going through them.
Yeah, I've got a Switch and PS4 copy coming. I don't take chances on releases like this. It's very possible that they'll have stock for half price next BF, but I'm okay with spending more for the piece of mind that I'm not gambling with missing it.

Yeah, I've got a Switch and PS4 copy coming. I don't take chances on releases like this. It's very possible that they'll have stock for half price next BF, but I'm okay with spending more for the piece of mind that I'm not gambling with missing it.
Great advice actually, as I was planning to do the same, and I'm years away from even getting an NS. As stated, it could be on clearance in 6 months, or gone in 6 weeks, just no way to tell. We can't all get a deal on every purchase, but buying this now is a good calculated risk.

I played I Am Setsuna on PC and will be getting Lost Sphere on it as well, but i'm likely in the outlier for that. I want that PS4 Secret of Mana though for the local multiplayer I believe.

Got my copy of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory (PS4) today, and been poking around to see if I could find the original Cyber Sleuth on there like Japan got. It doesn't seem to be there. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be? I never found any official confirmation one way or the other.

Got my copy of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory (PS4) today, and been poking around to see if I could find the original Cyber Sleuth on there like Japan got. It doesn't seem to be there. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be? I never found any official confirmation one way or the other.
are you asking if Cyber Sleuth is included with Hacker's Memory? Or all the stuff that was in Cyber Sleuth can be found in Hacker's Memory (Digimon, many of the maps/areas)

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/21/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-shares-side-story/

I actually just read people mentioing Japan got the original game too with this new one. Pretty neat, but people were making it sound like that was exclusive to the JP version. I'm not sure, because I didn't see many people talking about it, and it was the first I had heard about it. I also just found out apparently you can't play as a girl in this one :cry:

I loved the first one, so it was a day one buy for me regardless. I'm hoping Best Buy comes through with the DLC. They never had it listed on their site, but the support forums + namco's site both said BB was getting it =\

Hahahah. Ys VIII for PC has been indefinitely delayed again. Wow. Did they not test the PC version until after they gave a release date after the previous indefinite delay? Seriously.

EDIT: Damn, Supplice beat me by a couple minutes.

Has anyone been keeping up with how broken Monster Hunter Worlds is... I hope capcom can fix it in a week  :D/

ezgif.com-video-to-gif74794b47287949e5.gif

God GranBlue looks fucking gorgeous. I never played/watched/read anything else in the series, but its probably one of my most hyped games now.
I honestly had no idea what this game was until right now. It's like XC2 except it doesn't look and play like shit. Can't wait.

bread's done
Back