Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll love it. Such an incredible experience.

Speaking of Nier, I finished the PS3 version the other night with all the endings. I have such a weird love/hate relationship with it now that it's over. It certainly gave the world I experienced in Automata a fresh perspective, but there's just more questions than there are answers. Not to mention that a lot of the storylines and even the final ending make little to no sense to me with regards to the decisions you make as a player. I liked the tonal shift in NG+ with the new context for your actions, but it's still a little uneven storywise.

I guess I need to look to all the stage plays and canonical short stories to fill in the gaps of Automata. I've tried watching those Nier and Drakengard analysis videos by clemps for more lore bits but I find him completely insufferable.

I did love all the homages to other games there. (Zelda, Resident Evil, Baldur's Gate, text adventures)
I've not played Automata yet, but I did beat Nier a few years ago. I felt like most of the problems caused by the NG+ changes (especially those in the final ending) were caused by the writers going for whatever events would cause maximum pathos, without stopping to consider whether or not they actually made sense in context?

No English be VA for Atelier is the lamest. They could have at least waited for the next trilogy to start before doing that.
The English dub for the Atelier series were never as complete as the JP one. I remember lots of side quests and character quest and scenes not having voices in English, but does so when I switch to Japanese.

The English dub for the Atelier series were never as complete as the JP one. I remember lots of side quests and character quest and scenes not having voices in English, but does so when I switch to Japanese.
While it's true that the English VA only has about 30% of the voiced lines that the Japanese VA had if I remember correctly, it still sucks that they decided to end it in the final game of the Mysterious trilogy rather than sticking it out for one more game. For the people who prefer the English VA, it's kind of a dick move to suddenly cut it off at the end of a trilogy.

It is what it is though and it's likely a financial decision.

No English VAs in the new Atelier kinda sucks since I've been playing all the previous ones with English voices.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Japanese voices as well, but this is pretty disappointing since I spent so much time with English voices.

I critical hit your Monster Hunter new release for 64 damage.

Eirika.jpg
I actually managed to summon Eirika last night, so I am pretty excited haha :D

I get that it's expensive to dub and that they probably don't sell that well. I can fully appreciate that. I really wish that they would have at least finished the current trilogy before making this change. Then we'd have a new cast of characters and not be stuck with a jarring change at the end of the story. 

So my Target preorder of Dissidia NT shipped early and arrived today.

"Awesome!" I thought. "I can play early."

Unfortunately though, they did not ship the steelbook version, even though their site clearly displays that version in all of the images. Has this happened to anyone else?

So my Target preorder of Dissidia NT shipped early and arrived today.

"Awesome!" I thought. "I can play early."

Unfortunately though, they did not ship the steelbook version, even though their site clearly displays that version in all of the images. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes. When I ordered the FF12 Steelbook, I only got the standard edition. I chatted with the online support, and they gave me a gift card for the price I paid ($26.99).

However, I am unsure if the steelbooks for Dissida are supposed to be separate shipments.

Nah, they probably do separate releases like XII. I do see different listing for NT labeled Steel and non-steel at Amazon and GS.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Target customer service made it sound like it's a separate item, but they didn't seem all that confident, so I guess it will remain sealed after all :/

Is the Dragonball Fighter Z Day One Edition DLC worth more than $10?

I had a few extra bucks so I thought I would grab it.  Amazon is apparently all out of day ones, and they just have standard editions. So I am debating keeping my prime discount order or going to hunt down a day one copy this weekend.

Is the Dragonball Fighter Z Day One Edition DLC worth more than $10?

I had a few extra bucks so I thought I would grab it. Amazon is apparently all out of day ones, and they just have standard editions. So I am debating keeping my prime discount order or going to hunt down a day one copy this weekend.
Isn’t the pre-order bonus only early access to SSGSS Goku and Vegeta and two exclusive lobby avatars? Sounds to me like that isn’t worth $10.

Isn’t the pre-order bonus only early access to SSGSS Goku and Vegeta and two exclusive lobby avatars? Sounds to me like that isn’t worth $10.
I didn't know if they were Pre-order DLC like Eliza in Tekken 7 or if they would be released as free characters. I don't care waiting.

I didn't know if they were Pre-order DLC like Eliza in Tekken 7 or if they would be released as free characters. I don't care waiting.
I don't know about the lobby avatars, but the Goku and Vegeta Blue characters are early unlocks, not DLC characters. You can unlock them in-game as well.

I can't imagine those lobby avatars are worth $10.

I don't know about the lobby avatars, but the Goku and Vegeta Blue characters are early unlocks, not DLC characters. You can unlock them in-game as well.

I can't imagine those lobby avatars are worth $10.
Oh, didn't know that. Could honestly care less about the lobby avatars. Thanks.

Will wait on Amazon copy to arrive. since I got Monster Hunter tomorrow anyway.

I've not played Automata yet, but I did beat Nier a few years ago. I felt like most of the problems caused by the NG+ changes (especially those in the final ending) were caused by the writers going for whatever events would cause maximum pathos, without stopping to consider whether or not they actually made sense in context?
Yeah, just about everything you experience in the second part of the game is really just manufactured tragedy. Spoilers:

At its core, I liked that your actions as Papa Replicant Nier only further dooms humanity because you're rebelling against the only cure to actually getting rid of the shades. It's almost like Ocarina of Time in a sense with its time skip, but you're not saving anything, you're really just leading the world to the calamity portion of the timeline.

What I had a real issue with was Ending D. As Papa Nier you've spent the entirety of the game doing just about anything to save Yonah. You've killed several boss shades, helped kill Emil's sister, completely destroyed The Aerie and all the shades and innocent people who lived there, but now after killing Kaine's shade you're going to believe the disembodied voice you've never heard of before and just take it at its word that by erasing yourself from existence you'll save someone you sort of kind of know. I'm not diminishing his relationship with Kaine when saying that, because there clearly were romantic undertones in their interactions especially towards the end, but it makes no sense for him to blindly surrender his existence when his only reason for living up this point has been Yonah.

Having said all that, I still loved all the characters. Kaine especially. I didn't know Emil was supposed to be gay until I researched it. He's supposed to have a crush on Nier apparently, but it just comes across as paternal love to me when I think of all the scenes they shared. People point to him asking about Nier's wedding as a way of knowing, but it's completely different to what's present in the Japanese version where he just outright says he wants to marry him.

Edit:

Forgot you haven't played Automata so I removed those story bits from my post.

Turns out, I cannot speak/write/post after a day of coding :wall:

tenor.gif

Yay, I finally scored a Ys VIII limited edition on PS4 from NISA after a few months of checking.  The item page went down within the last couple of days so I got worried and checked again tonight.  Thought it was strange that it had stayed up this whole time since release, never becoming available again.

It's in-stock and for sale on both PS4 and Vita.  0-5% stock remaining

Yay, I finally scored a Ys VIII limited edition on PS4 from NISA after a few months of checking. The item page went down within the last couple of days so I got worried and checked again tonight. Thought it was strange that it had stayed up this whole time since release, never becoming available again.

It's in-stock and for sale on both PS4 and Vita. 0-5% stock remaining
Damn it, if only they put this up the same time as they put up Demon's Gaze 2 LE, there goes that $8 shipping

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm also really interested in Code Vein. Anime Dark Souls sounds just fine, but that formula is hard to pull off right. They will need engaging, extremely balanced combat, very careful and intentional level design and enemy placement, good AI, etc etc. There's just so much to get right. And, as much as I find the God Eater series to be pretty cool, the combat is just not compelling. That and the reuse of areas and enemies is the main reason that I dropped the first game a little bit after getting the first 'ending'.

"Maximum Pathos", I like that. That's honestly why I never played Nier or Automata, I played Drakengard and one Drakengard was already too much for me. I'm not sure the context matters though, I'm pretty sure the whole thing runs on multiverse theory with multiple contradictory endings being canon.

I have found all three Drakengard games to be mediocre to downright awful for a litany of reasons. On the flip side, the first Nier was basically a life altering experience, and I'm currently working through the first path of Nier Automata. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is, don't let Drakengard put you off of Nier. You absolutely do not need to play them first, they are quite different, and they are of a much lower quality. 

"Maximum Pathos", I like that. That's honestly why I never played Nier or Automata, I played Drakengard and one Drakengard was already too much for me. I'm not sure the context matters though, I'm pretty sure the whole thing runs on multiverse theory with multiple contradictory endings being canon.
sorta. the ending they make A game from become canon. the rest judt sit there for trophys

I have found all three Drakengard games to be mediocre to downright awful for a litany of reasons. On the flip side, the first Nier was basically a life altering experience, and I'm currently working through the first path of Nier Automata. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is, don't let Drakengard put you off of Nier. You absolutely do not need to play them first, they are quite different, and they are of a much lower quality.
Curious to hear your thoughts on Automata after you've completed it. Nier is one of my favorite RPG's all time and Automata was a complete let down for me personally.

Curious to hear your thoughts on Automata after you've completed it. Nier is one of my favorite RPG's all time and Automata was a complete let down for me personally.
Man, I'm still so curious about how I'll feel about Automata, too. The music is fantastic, but it's not as good as the prior game. The gameplay is much, much better. The story hasn't grabbed me nearly the same, but I'm not far enough in to make that call definitively--and this is what I'm most curious about. They are doing an excellent job with world building, though, and I find that every extra conversation or side quest are really adding to my immersion in the world. Time will tell, I guess!

I know this is just Weeb Souls, but I hope it turns out well. I loved Freedom Wars and this might be some kind of extension to that given the dev team. Some of the action gameplay looks stupidly slow, though.
I'm also really interested in Code Vein. Anime Dark Souls sounds just fine, but that formula is hard to pull off right. They will need engaging, extremely balanced combat, very careful and intentional level design and enemy placement, good AI, etc etc. There's just so much to get right. And, as much as I find the God Eater series to be pretty cool, the combat is just not compelling. That and the reuse of areas and enemies is the main reason that I dropped the first game a little bit after getting the first 'ending'.
Code Vein is looking very promising in my eyes. I'm happy to see that their putting a good amount of effort into world-building and lore, which is stuff that I love about games. The more I read about it, the more it's becoming a Day 1 purchase for me. I'm a person that can overlook a few minor gripes about the gameplay if the lore and world-building is on point (like Witcher 3, which is my personal game of the generation so far).

The odds of a Persona 3 Remake keeps getting bigger
I find it interesting that they're also trying to gauge reactions to farming out the franchises more to other companies.

Though it's an odd question to answer, since my thoughts on any of them would depend on what company is involved. My thoughts on a fighting game would be completely different between releases by Arc System Works, Namco, Capcom, etc.

Got Monster Hunter World in the mail from Best Buy today and did not receive the Steelbook. A chat and call to customer service claimed that it should have automatically added an extra item to my order but it didn’t.
They also are saying they have not received the steelbooks and do not expect them until mid February. Good job Best Buy.

Got Monster Hunter World in the mail from Best Buy today and did not receive the Steelbook. A chat and call to customer service claimed that it should have automatically added an extra item to my order but it didn’t.
They also are saying they have not received the steelbooks and do not expect them until mid February. Good job Best Buy.
I had a backorder email about the steelbook saying February, but it shipped today.

I did create a squad named CAG earlier this morning in Monster Hunter. Though if anybody else wants to do it, I can disband it and you can go ahead and create it instead. It looks like you can only invite people to the squad if they're in the same lobby as you, which is rather disappointing. Though I guess anybody in the squad can send invites to anybody, so it's not just restricted to the creator. EDIT: It looks like only leaders can send squad invites. What a pain in the ass.

Seems like all of the multiplayer worthy gameplay stuff is unlocked by story mission 3 as well. No Palico missions that early yet though.

bread's done
Back