Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, this damn Anjanath is kicking my ass, and I need it's parts to craft stuff I want. Does anyone usually grind and hunt a monster for it's parts even after you completed it's mission?
I haven't progressed the story in like two solid days of play now. I filled out my armor collection, and now I'm fleshing out my stock of weapons with different elements and effects. Also got a few arena quests waiting around.

That said, if you want the limited time HZD stuff, you'll want to get a little ways on with the story, if you're only just past your first Anjanath. The quest itself isn't hard, but you've got to repeat it a few times to get enough materials.

Yeah, whenever I matchmake at the start I usually just go into the CAG lobby, which is nice as I see a bunch of other people here on there too.

So fun fact, I see almost everyone playing as a waifu here. It's nice seeing other people's waifus. But The Handler is best waifu. I'd let her handle me anytime.

Also, this damn Anjanath is kicking my ass, and I need it's parts to craft stuff I want. Does anyone usually grind and hunt a monster for it's parts even after you completed it's mission?

Edit: To Texan, while the Soejima artbook is almost entirely pictures, there's a couple pages in the back with an interview. And that's all in English, which you can find a scan of if you need.
I saw you on earlier, I’m sorry I didn’t say anything. I was just pushing for the Horizon Palico stuff. Message me anytime here or in-game and I’ll help you when I’m able. That first Anjanath can be a pain, especially solo.

Yeah, whenever I matchmake at the start I usually just go into the CAG lobby, which is nice as I see a bunch of other people here on there too.

So fun fact, I see almost everyone playing as a waifu here. It's nice seeing other people's waifus. But The Handler is best waifu. I'd let her handle me anytime.

When you say CAG lobby, do you mean the Now Playing section in the community? I haven't used it much so I'm not sure if that's the term folks use.

Also to answer your question, most players do wind up hunting the same monsters since it's impossible to get everything you need from one monster. I'll hunt Anjanath with you tomorrow if/when you're on since I need parts myself, and others too if you want.

You're pretty close to rank 6 from what I can tell. Once you unlock the next area you're golden.

If you need Plates or Gems from a specific monster, do investigation quests with silver or gold rewards.
Make sure to Capture as well if you can, super easy way to get rare items when needed.

Oh my goodness thunderbug cages are the best once they're leveled up enough that you can request them. Your felyne can set them up anywhere, even places you can't normally set traps.

A lot of stuff this week. Almost varied enough to say a little something for everyone. I believe there was a game I missed last week, but I don't recall what it was unfortunately. Mercenary Kings is a fun co-op game though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Project LUX (PCVR | Murder Mystery / Anime)
- Tears - 9, 10 (Visual Novel)
- Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (February 4th - February 10th)

Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo Selects)
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Re-release as a Nintendo Selects title.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo Selects)
- Genre: Action-Adventure

Ultimate NES Remix (Nintendo Selects)
- Genre: Mini-Games / Challenges

Dandara
- Platform(s): Switch, PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer

Mercenary Kings: Reloaded Edition
- Platform(s): Switch, PS4, Vita, XB1 & PC.
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Will have an LRG Physical release eventually for Switch (and maybe Vita?). Free update for the PS4 & PC.

ACA NeoGeo: 2020 Super Baseball
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Sports
- Comments: Port of a NeoGeo game.

Aegis Defenders
- Platform(s): Switch, PS4, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer / Defense
- Online: Local only.

Arcade Archives: Crazy Climber
- Genre: Action / Arcade
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 and a bunch of older platforms. Port of a 1980 Taito game.

ATOMIK: RunGunJumpGun
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Previously released on PC & Mobile.

Mercenaries Saga Chronicles
- Platform(s): Switch, PS4
- Genre: SRPG
- Demo: Available on 3DS only for 2 & 3.
- Comments: eShop only. Contains the entire trilogy.

Dragon Quest Builders
- Genre: Action RPG / Sandbox Builder
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & Vita.

Bleed 2
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Shadow of the Colossus
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Comments: Remake.

Heroine Anthem Zero: Episode 1
- Genre: Action Sidescroller
- Comments: Previously released on PC. Did not review well.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia
- Genre: Action / Brawler
- Online: Battle Mode only.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]
- Platform(s): PS4, PS3, Vita
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Dragon Sinker
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: KEMCO Mobile Port. Previously released on PC, Mobile & 3DS.

Wangan Warrior X
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Racing

Fantastic Sea
- Genre: Simulation / Town Builder
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Crazy Appliances 疯狂电器
- Genre: Top-Down Shooter
- Comments: Chinese dev.

The Forbidden Arts
- Comments: Early Access.

Treasure Adventure World
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Based on the old indie game, Treasure Adventure Game (Freeware). Same dev.

Card Crawl
- Genre: Cards / Solitaire
- Comments: German dev. Solitaire style dungeon crawler.

冰封之门
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Comments: It is in English, despite its title.

The Seven Districts of Sin: The Tail Makes the Fox - Episode 1
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome / Dating Sim

Past Releases
January 28th - February 3rd
January 21st - January 27th
January 14th - January 20th
January 7th - January 13th
December 31st - January 6th

So how does the Horizon event quest for Monster Hunter World work? It's just the Wilds quest in the event section where you kill the dragon things right? I completed it but it didn't give me anything equipment wise. I got a watcher lens but I need a bunch to craft the weapon for my Palico. How do I get the rest of the exclusive items from the event?

When you say CAG lobby, do you mean the Now Playing section in the community? I haven't used it much so I'm not sure if that's the term folks use.
I access the CAG lobby from the squad search, and it seems to be a private lobby for just the people in the CAG squad, which only Draekon can invite you to. I'm not sure how the Now Playing section in the PSN community works, but I'm guessing it's when you make a new lobby, it'll show up there for others to join. Since I see a bunch of people have 1/16 lobbies listed there. So they are separate things, CAG Lobby is in the game, the Now Playing section just lists any lobbies a person in the community started (which can be the CAG Lobby.)

But yeah, I'm definitely down for hunting!

I saw you on earlier, I’m sorry I didn’t say anything. I was just pushing for the Horizon Palico stuff. Message me anytime here or in-game and I’ll help you when I’m able. That first Anjanath can be a pain, especially solo.
It's cool, don't worry about it. I was thinking of maybe using the Squad or Lobby chat in game to coordinate any hunts/monsters anyone is looking to grind. Or maybe put a message up in the PSN community or something.

So how does the Horizon event quest for Monster Hunter World work? It's just the Wilds quest in the event section where you kill the dragon things right? I completed it but it didn't give me anything equipment wise. I got a watcher lens but I need a bunch to craft the weapon for my Palico. How do I get the rest of the exclusive items from the event?

I access the CAG lobby from the squad search, and it seems to be a private lobby for just the people in the CAG squad, which only Draekon can invite you to. I'm not sure how the Now Playing section in the PSN community works, but I'm guessing it's when you make a new lobby, it'll show up there for others to join. Since I see a bunch of people have 1/16 lobbies listed there. So they are separate things, CAG Lobby is in the game, the Now Playing section just lists any lobbies a person in the community started (which can be the CAG Lobby.)

But yeah, I'm definitely down for hunting!

It's cool, don't worry about it. I was thinking of maybe using the Squad or Lobby chat in game to coordinate any hunts/monsters anyone is looking to grind. Or maybe put a message up in the PSN community or something.
If you do that “Lessons of the Wild” quest three times you’ll have 3 Watcher Lens’ which you can use to craft the two armor pieces and the weapon.

Yeah, now that I’m not rushed for time on the Horizon stuff I’m going to settle down and take my time. Enjoy the little nuances and things. I need to start exploring more too. That is until the new quest hits on the 15th, haha.

You get 1-2 lens per win. It takes 3 to craft everything. You can use any extra Watcher Lens at the Elder Melder as they're worth 50 points a piece, which is pretty decent for obtaining some things there if you can't craft them through normal means. Doesn't work for everything of course.

The Aloy equipment event should be coming up after this Watcher palico event.

Anybody can invite anyone to the CAG Squad Lobby from inside of it even if they aren't from the squad. It just sucks that only I can send out invites as the Squad leader and have to be in the same lobby to do it. Since I'm done with the 50 Guild Cards trophy, I generally hang out in that lobby when I'm on.

And yeah, I'm guessing that the PSN Community shows players who created their own lobby or stuck around long enough in a public one to become its 'leader' so to speak.

I started playing Monster Hunter World on Friday night for an hour or two.   Got up and started playing it again at 9:30am yesterday.  Only took a few hours of breaks, made some meals, took a shower, and didn't stop playing until 5am.  Game is that good.  I'm totally addicted.  Got my full Anjanath armor set made :whistle2:o  

Also got into the CAG squad thanks to Draekon.  You da man; I know it's not easy.  Look forward to seeing you guys online this week!

Yeah I found a used copy of MHW finally and used certs to get it for $8.  I played for about 3 hours last night, not sure when I will have more time but I'm really liking it so far.

I guess that's true, but it's an art book. I'd imagine the artwork should be enough for most people. Didn't think the translated notes/interview would merit the $200 price bump.
I think it depends on the person. The main reason that I got so into artbook collecting was for the interviews, designer notes, behind the scenes information, etc. The art is great, but it really realizes its true value in conjunction with those other written elements.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

I has rare fishies in MH. :)

Monster_Hunter_World_20180204163049.jpg

I think it depends on the person. The main reason that I got so into artbook collecting was for the interviews, designer notes, behind the scenes information, etc. The art is great, but it really realizes its true value in conjunction with those other written elements.
I can see that totally. I just really love the artwork, and don't mind reading the translations online. If I find a way to flip my copy I probably would.

Topic related:

Those redbox rental codes seem to still be working so I'll see if I can rent Monster Hunter a couple times and see what all the hype is about.

Just wanted to say, I was using my friends' palicos for the item gathering thing, and Midori's palico Delilah is the most adorable one yet!

You get 1-2 lens per win. It takes 3 to craft everything. You can use any extra Watcher Lens at the Elder Melder as they're worth 50 points a piece, which is pretty decent for obtaining some things there if you can't craft them through normal means. Doesn't work for everything of course.

The Aloy equipment event should be coming up after this Watcher palico event.
How do you get the Horizon guild card background? And how do you change the poses on those?

Those redbox rental codes seem to still be working so I'll see if I can rent Monster Hunter a couple times and see what all the hype is about.
I definitely recommend it. Going into this I wasn't sure if I would like it, but now became one of those games I can't stop playing, and can't wait to play it any chance I get. Last time a game was like that for me was Dragon Age Inquisition.

The multiplayer is great too, I've been playing with a few people in this thread and when a quest is posted, people usually join in and help out.

Just wanted to say, I was using my friends' palicos for the item gathering thing, and Midori's palico Delilah is the most adorable one yet!
Awww, hehe! She is modeled after my real cat, Delilah :) And the outfit was too adorable not to use :) I had to log off pretty much after I joined the CAG squad so I haven't gotten to do a safari yet with any CAG palicos. But I saw your palico on your guild card, and yours is so adorable lol.

I did not realize this. I might farm a little bit more since it's an easy quest, just to save them for a rainy day. I actually went in a third time to fight the flasher in a safe environment.

I'm really curious if those two Code Reaize limited editions will go up on best buy. GCU would make that just so much better!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

If anybody still needs to complete the Horizon Event in Monster Hunter: World for their Watcher Palico gear, they can hit me up this evening or tomorrow evening. I made an event for tomorrow evening regarding it yesterday, but I honestly don't really expect anyone to sign up. Figured I'd offer since the Watcher Palico Gear event ends Thursday.

I'm definitely part of the problem. I'll buy Neptunia as many times as they redo it (Excluding PC). Quite possibly even the LE each time.

Gotta love when remasters get remastered.
I love this series, but its starting to lose its appeal for me. Just finished Superdimension Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls and I just don't have it in me to get the remaining trophies for the platinum at this time. Currently sitting at 79%, but enjoying Dragon Quest Heroes 1. I'll more than likely go back and get the remaining trophies, but it'll be a long time before I start another one from the series.

I'm definitely part of the problem. I'll buy Neptunia as many times as they redo it (Excluding PC). Quite possibly even the LE each time.
Yep, same here. I never played the revised vita version, even though I bought it. So, I'm looking forward to playing this one. And even though I have curbed my LE/CE buying a lot(pretty much ran out of room), the Neptunia series is one that I buy every LE/CE still.

If anybody still needs to complete the Horizon Event in Monster Hunter: World for their Watcher Palico gear, they can hit me up this evening or tomorrow evening. I made an event for tomorrow evening regarding it yesterday, but I honestly don't really expect anyone to sign up. Figured I'd offer since the Watcher Palico Gear event ends Thursday.
Have they said that once this is gone it is gone? I'm only HR 3 but could probably get all the way to HR 6 by Wednesday night if I really need to. Mr Whiskers would look pretty sweet as a robo kitty...

Nice try Compile Heart. I'll just stick with the Hyperdimension Neptunia versions on Vita. Don't plan on rebuying the game for the 3rd time. Who do you think you are? ATLUS /Persona? Nah.

Have they said that once this is gone it is gone? I'm only HR 3 but could probably get all the way to HR 6 by Wednesday night if I really need to. Mr Whiskers would look pretty sweet as a robo kitty...
I honestly have no idea. People more familiar with how Monster Hunter DLC works could probably tell you more. However if anybody here needs help getting to rank 6 and finishing the event mission two or three times, I don't mind helping out. Better safe than sorry.

bread's done
Back