Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like this isn’t just a Square Enix model though. Everyone seems to be jumping on board the games as a service mentality. It makes more money.
I think it can be more or less egregious depending on the genre. JRPG being among the worst genre to these types of things with.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

It looks like this isn’t just a Square Enix model though. Everyone seems to be jumping on board the games as a service mentality. It makes more money.
Wouldn't really call FF15 a games as service kind of thing anyway, those types of games tend to build their whole game around keeping you around and pumping money into the game. FF15 is more just your standard rpg that has had some story (and a multi-player) episodes.

I mean yes they've had plenty of other content additions like limited time events and special weekly quests but literally 100% of that stuff was free, that's not how a "games as service" functions.

I guess it just comes down to whether you want more content coming over time or if it is good with what is shipped. It can be done well with expansions and what not but also poorly with unfinished stories completed through paid dlc. I’m sort of riding the wave here and hoping we get the better end of the deal for most games.

Now I'm confused, I thought Royal Edition is the "includes everything" edition? Was actually going to buy the Royal edition, but if a Sovereign Edition is coming next, I'm going to hold off.

I guess it just comes down to whether you want more content coming over time or if it is good with what is shipped. It can be done well with expansions and what not but also poorly with unfinished stories completed through paid dlc.
Well that is mostly what I was getting at with my first post, none of the additions they've made to the game really changes anything in a meaningful way story-wise. People waiting to buy the game when it's "complete" or whatever are pretty much just going to be playing the same game I played back when it first came out.

It's not like the dlc episodes add these huge swaths of missing content to the game or anything, the Gladio dlc is basically just some meaningless character building for him you can glean from the main game anyway, Prompto's episode had some additional backstory about the evil empire dudes that again is mostly meaningless, and like 2/3rds of the Ignis DLC is non-canon fan-fiction for people that wanted a different ending to the game (not even joking, legit 100% truth.) And then you have the multi-player stuff which doesn't really have any story and is just there for people that want to play a better version of the main game (aka me since I put almost as much time into it as I did the actual single player story.)

In my opinion the only major difference from playing the game at launch compared to now is the in-battle character swapping which is absolutely a meaningful change but that is un-related to the story/world stuff which is where most people's complaints seem to lie when it comes to calling the game in-complete or whatever.

Now that a Season 2 of FFXV is confirmed, I can skip the Royal Edition and wait for the next edition.
Yup. SE so dumb they shoot themselves in the foot.

Well that is mostly what I was getting at with my first post, none of the additions they've made to the game really changes anything in a meaningful way story-wise. People waiting to buy the game when it's "complete" or whatever are pretty much just going to be playing the same game I played back when it first came out.

It's not like the dlc episodes add these huge swaths of missing content to the game or anything, the Gladio dlc is basically just some meaningless character building for him you can glean from the main game anyway, Prompto's episode had some additional backstory about the evil empire dudes that again is mostly meaningless, and like 2/3rds of the Ignis DLC is non-canon fan-fiction for people that wanted a different ending to the game (not even joking, legit 100% truth.) And then you have the multi-player stuff which doesn't really have any story and is just there for people that want to play a better version of the main game (aka me since I put almost as much time into it as I did the actual single player story.)

In my opinion the only major difference from playing the game at launch compared to now is the in-battle character swapping which is absolutely a meaningful change but that is un-related to the story/world stuff which is where most people's complaints seem to lie when it comes to calling the game in-complete or whatever.
The point is that people want a complete game when they make a physical purchase.

We all have backlogs. FF15 isn't some ground-breaking GOTY contender that everyone has to play while it's still a new release. We can wait. Anyone who bought the Hitman or Life is Strange singular episodes instantly regretted it when the inevitable complete games released later. Same thing with the upcoming FF7 remake; I learned my lesson. I won't buy that crap. Not unless there's cool CE stuff I simply have to have. But we all know it will be ~$180, about twice as much as it should cost.

The point is that people want a complete game when they make a physical purchase.
That's my point though. Nothing they've added to the game is so ground breaking or earth changing that it warrants calling the game in-complete in the first place. All the updates and crap they've pushed out over the past year is basically meaningless fluff (with the one exception mentioned earlier.)

People seem to have this weird notion that like 2 years down the line when they are done updating the game it's going to be this completely different product, my whole point is that is not the case at all.

And lastly I am not arguing it's wrong to wait either, I buy most games dirt cheap because there are very few games I think are worth full price in the first place (I didn't buy FF15 for full price either for the record.) All I am saying is that people have a weird idea about what FF15 is that has no basis in reality. You comparing it to Life is Strange and Hitman is exactly what I am talking about, it has no comparisons to those games at all when it comes to actual content updates.

I think that’s why I don’t have any problem with FFXV. The season 1 stuff isn’t completing the game, just adding more to it if you want. I actually think that’s a positive for the formula. If they make an RPG or what not that is all episodes, ala Life is Strange, I don’t think I’d like that.

Yup. SE so dumb they shoot themselves in the foot.

We all have backlogs. FF15 isn't some ground-breaking GOTY contender that everyone has to play while it's still a new release. We can wait. Anyone who bought the Hitman or Life is Strange singular episodes instantly regretted it when the inevitable complete games released later. Same thing with the upcoming FF7 remake; I learned my lesson. I won't buy that crap. Not unless there's cool CE stuff I simply have to have. But we all know it will be ~$180, about twice as much as it should cost.
Problem with Final Fantasy XV is that there are so many timed event (Moogle Chocobo Carnival, Assassin's Festival, etc.) that are gone for good after it is over. And they need to be played in order too, you need the Dream Egg from Moogle Chocobo Carnival to get Master Assassin’s Robes in Assassin's Festival). In the end the best way for people to experience the game is buying it at release.

You can also bet that there will be a Limited Edition for each FFVII remake episode.

I think that’s why I don’t have any problem with FFXV. The season 1 stuff isn’t completing the game, just adding more to it if you want. I actually think that’s a positive for the formula. If they make an RPG or what not that is all episodes, ala Life is Strange, I don’t think I’d like that.
I actually don't have much of a problem with episodic games in general but it doesn't fit the RPG format well. I assume most people did not follow FF4 The After Years as it came out on WiiWare but it was pretty dumb. The best part of RPGs is seeing characters level up and get stronger over the course of the game and that is entirely lost when you stick with a character for like an hour and a half before everything just ends and the story focus changes.

I don't get why everyone is bitching about all the new DLC. No one is forcing you buy the DLC if you want to wait for the "full game" then wait. I like the fact the game keep going.

It's weird people think that any dlc at all being released = game was released unfinished
Yeah. There have definitely been some quality-of-life improvements that I feel should've been in the original FFXV release, but the character-centric episodes and Comrades were pretty clearly add-on content.

i don't mind the last child being moved back from spring to  summer cuz i just spent the money i had saved that i used to preorder it in december and do have the money atm lol

I don't get why everyone is bitching about all the new DLC. No one is forcing you buy the DLC if you want to wait for the "full game" then wait. I like the fact the game keep going.
My main problem with FFXV is they straight up admitted shortly after the game came out that they would be changing the ending of the game through a future patch. That basically told me to wait to buy it, so I could experience this "proper ending". It's been like a year now and I'm still waiting before buying. I'm not irritated or anything but it seems a little silly of Square

Anyways, any of you guys played the demo for the Fist of the North Star Yakuza game (Hokuto no Ken) yet? Seemed pretty fun from what I played of it. Can't tell if it's the Yakuza 0/Kiwami engine or the new one. Basically plays like a flashy version of Yakuza 0, which is awesome! ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

MH World rant:

I'm starting to get irritated with Monster Hunter finally.   Mostly annoyed with console gamers on these MMO-lite games.  Just sick of people carting and failing on hunts.  Like you have one job to do and that's stay alive.  The boss will eventually fall over, every time.  All your stupid little damage abilities don't matter if we wipe.  Literally nothing is a dps race, and EVERYONE spcs into full dps on tempered elder dragons.  They are all finesse fights.   So wear your extra health, eat your food, bring max potions in case you die once, wear your earplugs, wear your fire resistance, wear your miasma defense or whatever, and stop dying.  People spam flash bombs on Nergi when he's diving, putting him in perpetual divebomb mode.  I'm talking about the HR 49+ people.  Everyone is Rambo on consoles.   "well I never get hit with his breath".  Yeah, until you do.  

The other thing that's really frustrating is when people are determined to fight monsters in hallways and corridors.  Like can't you fucking walk 20 meters do your left so we can fight him in the room and people aren't dying to charges, breath attacks, and tail swipes.  It's the simplest, entry level, MMORPG 101 stuff and people fail at it miserably.  Just in the last week the quality level of players has dropped off considerably as many have likely moved on to new games. 

Also gems won't drop on tempered elders! :argue:  

Just in the last week the quality level of players has dropped off considerably as many have likely moved on to new games.
That all sounds pretty frustrating haha, but wouldn't the quality level of players get better over time, as only the hardcore would stick around? Or maybe they'd get burnt out and then you'd only be left with noobs, which is what is sounds like is happening to you

MH World rant:

I'm starting to get irritated with Monster Hunter finally. Mostly annoyed with console gamers on these MMO-lite games. Just sick of people carting and failing on hunts. Like you have one job to do and that's stay alive. The boss will eventually fall over, every time. All your stupid little damage abilities don't matter if we wipe. Literally nothing is a dps race, and EVERYONE spcs into full dps on tempered elder dragons. They are all finesse fights. So wear your extra health, eat your food, bring max potions in case you die once, wear your earplugs, wear your fire resistance, wear your miasma defense or whatever, and stop dying. People spam flash bombs on Nergi when he's diving, putting him in perpetual divebomb mode. I'm talking about the HR 49+ people. Everyone is Rambo on consoles. "well I never get hit with his breath". Yeah, until you do.

The other thing that's really frustrating is when people are determined to fight monsters in hallways and corridors. Like can't you fucking walk 20 meters do your left so we can fight him in the room and people aren't dying to charges, breath attacks, and tail swipes. It's the simplest, entry level, MMORPG 101 stuff and people fail at it miserably. Just in the last week the quality level of players has dropped off considerably as many have likely moved on to new games.

It is also annoying when the quest is in the arena and the Randoms feel the need to stay on the upper levels. Not only does it waste time since the monster keeps running back and forth, there's barely any space to properly fight.

My only hope is to join sessions with JP players, and even then most don't even read the quest title; "Capture _____ DO NOT KILL TARGET"

Now I'm confused, I thought Royal Edition is the "includes everything" edition? Was actually going to buy the Royal edition, but if a Sovereign Edition is coming next, I'm going to hold off.
I want a Sovereign(NX-73811) edition, where the game changes in to Trails of Cold Steel and includes Miku as a playable character, and takes place in the Star Trek universe, and comes with Miku figures, and is only on the Vita.

post-490570-0-82475200-1414029978.gif

No but seriously, I thought the Royal Edition was just the GOTY version of the Deluxe edition, which was just game + season pass. And that all the extra gameplay improvements were free.

Also, I haven't tried any of the new improvements/DLC, but I do think it's a pretty big deal and change over the standard game. Especially when they ended up changing Chapter 13, and someone mentioned being able to switch characters during gameplay now. And something about being able to free roam with the Regalia? All of these changes (whether cut from the base game or not) are gonna be huge improvements.

I think the problem I have with FF XV is that they are making major gameplay enhancements like 1-2 years after the game released. Yeah I bought it at launch, but I have not finished it. Now I want to wait till there is some complete edition of everything before I go back to it because why bother if they are gonna keep changing it.

Also WTF is up with Ni No Kuni II. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to that, but they really changed the whole game and not just made it a sequel. I kinda liked the pokemon ripoff of the first game, but oh well.

MH World rant:

I'm starting to get irritated with Monster Hunter finally. Mostly annoyed with console gamers on these MMO-lite games. Just sick of people carting and failing on hunts. Like you have one job to do and that's stay alive. The boss will eventually fall over, every time. All your stupid little damage abilities don't matter if we wipe. Literally nothing is a dps race, and EVERYONE spcs into full dps on tempered elder dragons. They are all finesse fights. So wear your extra health, eat your food, bring max potions in case you die once, wear your earplugs, wear your fire resistance, wear your miasma defense or whatever, and stop dying. People spam flash bombs on Nergi when he's diving, putting him in perpetual divebomb mode. I'm talking about the HR 49+ people. Everyone is Rambo on consoles. "well I never get hit with his breath". Yeah, until you do.

The other thing that's really frustrating is when people are determined to fight monsters in hallways and corridors. Like can't you fucking walk 20 meters do your left so we can fight him in the room and people aren't dying to charges, breath attacks, and tail swipes. It's the simplest, entry level, MMORPG 101 stuff and people fail at it miserably. Just in the last week the quality level of players has dropped off considerably as many have likely moved on to new games.

I am tired of these people too. The entered my quest against odogoran and it was a story mission. You get 3 continues in this match and they used them all giving me a gameover. If you're too bad and you're dying just leave the quest. Don't screw me over.

And most people don't even use/have their mics. It's ridiculous. I'm trying to talk to them or give instruction and I get nothing and they often don't follow my instruction. I'm the quest leader. If I want to capture instead of hunt then you need to not attack.

I'm not that far in the game as I've been playing just for fun mostly, online in expeditions and all - but that's grown boring.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker’s Memory is on sale for $39.99 with GCU. I know it’s not the greatest deal, but it’s there for anyone that doesn’t want to wait for it to drop more.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-playstation-4/5855713.p?skuId=5855713
Glad my pre-order copy from Amazon came with a super fucked up case. Returned it and decided to wait and just kept the DLC. Not like I would have had time to play it anyway

@nothing371 You need to find friends to play with, play with cags, or solo everything. It's sad, but true, you risk the chance of getting bad players when going with SOS. I've been playing mostly with my friends (who are veterans of the series, played practically every iteration since PSP) since I hit HR, and have learned to play as well as, if not better, than some of them.

@dead_batteries doesn't matter if they're JP players or not, my experience with JP players are about 50/50 when it comes whether they know what they're doing or not. Played with some who were downright terrible

@nagpo you can try to learn to do captures while they run if randoms keep ruining it for you or just try to capture anyway at the 'nest' spot. At your point in the story, they shouldn't be able to kill that quickly even if the skull pops up next to them on the map. Also, not everyone has a headset/mic, so you shouldn't be upset with people for that since you don't know their situation.

Also for all you guys mentioned, you can kick people if you feel they are ruining the quest for you if you posted the quest. I've kicked a decent number for silly things like carting twice, being idle, or being very rude/cocky and/or then wind up being useless.

Not really anything new this week. A few ports mostly and a few of those are worthwhile if you haven't played them (Darkest Dungeon & PuyoPuyo). Although I don't list RPGMaker games, there is a decent looking Touhou one releasing this week on PC named Oracle of the Forgotten. It has a demo and it seems to have more than the usual basic textures, so it might be worth checking out if you're into those kinds of games.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Revenant Saga (PS4 | RPG)
- Them’s Fightin’ Herds (Fighting)

Weekly Releases (February 25th - March 3rd)

Heroine Anthem Zero: Episode 1
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC. Not rated well on PC.

Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: ??? / Relaxing / Accidently Destroy All Humans
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC & Xbox One.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 - Extra Pack 2: Infinite History (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting

Moss
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Digital only.

ACA NeoGeo: Sengoku 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Brawler / Sidescroller

Arcade Archives: Star Force
- Genre: SHMUP

Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash / Mechs
- Comments: Previously released on Vita, PC & Mobile.

Darkest Dungeon
- Platform(s): Xbox One
- Genre: RPG / Roguelike / Difficult
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Vita, Switch, PC & Mobile.

Puyo Puyo™Tetris®
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & Switch.

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Eternal Dread

Radiant Melodia
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation

Yozakura Wizard VR
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Action / Stealth
- Comments: Seems to include English subs, but interface is still supposedly Japanese.

幻想四倍剣^2 悔悟棒の謎
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Japanese language only. Touhou indie game.

Past Releases
February 18th - February 24th
February 11th - February 17th
February 4th - February 10th
January 28th - February 3rd
January 21st - January 27th

Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but the JP store added two new free Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal themes.

One is actually family appropriate with good music. It will replace the RWBY one I’ve used for the longest time, aside from the KOF 14 Santa Girls theme during the Holidays, since my 9 year old also uses my ps4.

@nothing371 You need to find friends to play with, play with cags, or solo everything. It's sad, but true, you risk the chance of getting bad players when going with SOS. I've been playing mostly with my friends (who are veterans of the series, played practically every iteration since PSP) since I hit HR, and have learned to play as well as, if not better, than some of them.

@dead_batteries doesn't matter if they're JP players or not, my experience with JP players are about 50/50 when it comes whether they know what they're doing or not. Played with some who were downright terrible

@nagpo you can try to learn to do captures while they run if randoms keep ruining it for you or just try to capture anyway at the 'nest' spot. At your point in the story, they shouldn't be able to kill that quickly even if the skull pops up next to them on the map. Also, not everyone has a headset/mic, so you shouldn't be upset with people for that since you don't know their situation.

Also for all you guys mentioned, you can kick people if you feel they are ruining the quest for you if you posted the quest. I've kicked a decent number for silly things like carting twice, being idle, or being very rude/cocky and/or then wind up being useless.
Doesn't every ps4 come with a mic? I've bought two and both have come with a small little mic and ear bud.

Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but the JP store added two new free Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal themes.

One is actually family appropriate with good music. It will replace the RWBY one I’ve used for the longest time, aside from the KOF 14 Santa Girls theme during the Holidays, since my 9 year old also uses my ps4.
Cool. The other day I was thinking I would prefer themes centered on each team. I downloaded the free themes, and I'll buy Crimson Squad if it gets added to the US store. Ryobi is my favorite character, but Crimson Squad is my favorite team. I like everyone in it.

And I just saw a Bioshock Collection theme was added two months ago. I'll buy it when I start playing the remastered Bioshock Infinite. The transition is awesome.

Right now I'm using one of the free Nier: Automata themes because I'm currently playing it. I switch themes every couple of months, and try to use a theme for the game I'm focusing on. That's usually possible thanks to all the free themes. So far I've only bought Makoto's theme for Persona 5.

Awesome, thanks for the ends up.
I forget to check the jp psn store regularly for timed-exclusive free stuff.

but if a Sovereign Edition is coming next, I'm going to hold off.
I want a Sovereign(NX-73811) edition, where the game changes in to Trails of Cold Steel and includes Miku as a playable character, and takes place in the Star Trek universe, and comes with Miku figures, and is only on the Vita.

post-490570-0-82475200-1414029978.gif
qMuWBUi.png

You know @BRW...I'll bet that dude that helped mod the Cold Steel PC stuff "MikuTsubasa" (?) is probably working on sticking Miku into Cold Steel. But for a good Star Trek game? ... Yeah. Maybe in another reality. Oh well. :lol:

I'm honestly getting tired how Square Enix is milking FFXV to levels of insanity I thought I'd never see. Mobile edition, season pass stuff, Windows Edition...WHEN WILL IT EVER END? :whee: They might as well put it on Vita. And Switch. And Mac, Linux, and even PS3 and Xbox 360 for giggles.

Although I might buy the Windows Edition. Eventually. My PC can evidently run it nice and stable at 60FPS on 1080P and mostly stable 30FPS on 4K. Ignis' recipes never looked tastier!

Grabbed Tokyo Xanadu eX+ since it's on sale. Now I think I just need the Utawareumonos and Demon Gaze II for PS4 RPGs from last year that I still intend to get eventually. 

Well there was YS VIII but decided to get that on Switch.

edit: Forgot .hack. I don't know why it annoys me that it only has one platinum even though I'm not a trophy hunter lol.

bread's done
Back