Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill get Fighting Ex Layer when the physical release happens
If a physical release is, indeed, contingent upon the game performing well... I don't have very high hopes. Niche fighting games are a tough sell to the casual gamer.

I really hope that it does make its way to discs, though. Fighting games are my favorite genre and I want to own as many of them as I can.

If a physical release is, indeed, contingent upon the game performing well... I don't have very high hopes. Niche fighting games are a tough sell to the casual gamer.

I really hope that it does make its way to discs, though. Fighting games are my favorite genre and I want to own as many of them as I can.
wish they made a publishing deal with Sony

I just want to see a PC version of Fighting EX layer. While I do overall prefer PC due to the vast options and overall better versions of most games, there are two genres in particular that I like to see on PC: Shmups and fighting games.

I never want to have to hook up an old console, deal with nonsense updates, archaic interfaces, dead online from everyone being on the next gen platform, old controllers, etc, when I get an itch to play a fighter or a shmup for 30 minutes. For those two genres being able to play all of my favorites across any generation, with any controller, and with extreme convenience is very important to me. I think it's mainly the pick up and play aspect that makes me single those two out.

The last time I played a good Star Trek game was over 20 years ago.
TuKf61l.jpg

Grabbed Tokyo Xanadu eX+ since it's on sale.

Well there was YS VIII but decided to get that on Switch.
I think you'll like Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Well once you get through to the fact that it's like six hours of actual gameplay and 60 hours interactive visual novel.

As far as Ys VIII, I'm just going to wait for the PC version. Just so I can get through some other games like Xenoblade 2's postgame stuff, Persona 5, Monster Hunter World, Radiant Historia 3DS, and did I mention Xenoblade 2?

On that note, the Switch version may release before the PC one will!

I enjoyed playing Pocket Pool with Deanna Troi when I was 13. She was my first true love. But then Xena came on at 11:00 and they would occasionally have to battle for my affections.
Oh if only she could have read all our young brain waves! Or....maybe not. Hehehe.

FML, I missed the limited edition USB flash drive. Oh well. But....wow....it's even going to be in Hi-Res. O_O. YES!

giphy.gif

Off topic, but that made me want to share my favorite Big Enough video.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj90khPuWv8[/media]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum posts.

Sounds like multiplayer will be tacked on again as more of an afterthought rather than it being fully integrated. You'd think that them borrowing from Minecraft would lead to fully integrated multiplayer, but instead the Japanese will be themselves when it comes to half assed multiplayer. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but their track record is absolute shit when it comes to good multiplayer design. /rant

I guess I'll likely be waiting for a good discount before even considering this game.

Girls und Panzer English version is shipping from Play Asia.

Panzer vor!
Give impressions if you play it. I didn't order it myself since the game play looked really simple and it seemed like more of a multiplayer game, but I'd like impressions.

Think it's just going to be Super Robot Wars X and the Full Metal Panic game for Asian English releases for me this year so far. I love me some turn based games. Bullet Girls Phantasia looks super iffy, but I may get it on sale sometime.

Weekly free PSN junk:

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

PS4

- -Prologue- Demo (Temporarily removed from the store)

Critics Choice Sale

Since there has been mention about JP PSN themes and what not, I'll go ahead and list the last years free themes below as well. They of course require you to be logged into your Japanese PSN account for the link to direct you to the proper page.

(Direct link to JP PSN 'Free' Themes Page)

Valkyria Chronicles 4

PS4

- Demo

Hokuto Ga Gotoku

PS4

- Demo

Senren Kagura Burst Re:Newal

PS4

- Original Theme 1

- Original Theme 2

Border Break

PS4

- Original Theme "Amazing Trees"

限界凸城 キャッスルパンツァーズ

PS4

- Special Theme

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

PS4

- Jump March Featured

- Second Tenkaichi

Labyrinth of the Refrain: Coven of Dusk

PS4

- Theme

Phantasy Star Online 2

PS4

- Character Illustration 1 Theme

- Character Illustration 2 Theme

- Episode 5 Key Visual Theme

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle

PS4

- Christmas Theme

千の刃濤、桃花染の皇姫

PS4

- Momo Hana Theme

Gundam Battle Operation NEXT

PS4

- Theme 2

Dragons Dogma Online

PS4

- Season 3 "Flames of the Lost Kingdom" Theme

Dragon Quest XI

PS4

- Release Commemoration Original Theme

Armored Core

PS4

- 20th Anniversary Theme

Resident Evil: The Final Movie

PS4

- Release Theme

Some Nobunaga Game

PS4

- "The Day of Nobunaga's Hope" Memorial Theme (2017)

Let It Die

PS4

- Theme 1

Fate / Grand Order VR

PS4

- Mash Kyrielight Special Theme (PS+ Only)

- Artoria Pendragon Special Theme (PS+ Only)

Not much this week, but a fair amount from the JP PSN store since I haven't really linked anything from it in over a year more or less. There are two themes I linked that are PS+ only which probably interest people in this thread.

EDIT: Added a few more JP PSN Themes.

For anyone who was able to grab the Yakuza 6 demo. Apparently, there's a glitch in the US release that allows you to play the full game with trophies. There's no limit set in the demo.

Sega had already pulled it from the store. But if you purchased it before hand you can still download it from your download list, which is what I did.

Now to turn off automatic updates lol.

It's not a glitch, they released the full game for free by mistake.  :lol: I'm still keeping my Premium Edition preorder though. 

Still got my artbook edition on preorder as well to support the series. But now I can just play the digital version and keep my physical version sealed.

For anyone who's played the demo yet and got it to "unlock" , does your homescreen icon for the demo say "prologue" on it?

Mine does. I'm Wondering if it's a different download some received or did everyone get the full game.

Mine is a 36 GB download, so I must have gotten lucky =)
The demo is supposed to be the full game that is locked off until you buy the unlock key.

Even the JPN demo is 36 gb.

If you can enter Club Sega and/or play the Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter 5, thats the full game.

Anyone that cancels their order for their game because they got it for free must not care about the franchise's future.

I too got in on the free Yakuza 6 demo, but as others have said, I intend to keep my preorder because A) I like physical copies anyway and B) I want to see Kiwami 2 get localized too. I just look at this as getting to play it now instead of waiting two months.

Oh, and C) I would also want to see that Fist of the North Star game if at all possible.

PS Plus: Games for March, Additional Service Changes

Bloodborne (PS4)
Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Legend of Kay, (PS3)
Mighty No. 9, PS3 (Cross Buy with PS4)
Claire: Extended Cut, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Bombing Busters, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)

Starting next year on March 8, 2019, the PS Plus monthly games lineup will focus on PS4 titles and no longer include PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita titles. 

Final Fantasy XV’s Hajime Tabata Asks Fans If They’d Like New Endings for the Game [SPOILERS]

Sony’s Hokuto Ga Gotoku’s Trailer Is the Most Hilarious Thing You’ll See Today

Trailer comes with English subtitles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNiaaRXz2b0

Monster Hunter: World’s New Horizon Zero Dawn Quest Puts You Against An Extra Large Anjanath

Persona 5 the Animation To Start Airing On April 7, Gives Us A Look At Makoto Niijima

Kinda bummed I missed out on the Yakuza "demo", but that's ok. I'm really hyped for the premium edition I have pre-ordered.

Plus, I have physical copies for all Yakuza games (except 5, of course) and also imported half of them as well. One of my all time favorite game series.

bread's done
Back