Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about Root Double. I’m definitely excited about it finally getting released and giving it a playthrough.

I love that the Vita is still getting VN released on it, because nothing beats playing a VN on the Vita.

When you want news of anything Falcom being localized to...well...anywhere but all you get is news of a mobile app. Welp I'll just

tenor.gif

When you want news of anything Falcom being localized to...well...anywhere but all you get is news of a mobile app.
Don't worry, the trailer seems to spoil some Crossbell stuff as per the usual Falcom trailers where they can't resist spoiling older games in the series.

Falcom: Let's name it Trails in the Sky, tack on Kizuna, say that we're putting in Cold Steel characters and then show a trailer with nothing but Crossbell characters and spoilers.

The actual game doesn't seem to be canon, so we're good there at least. "Space-time distortions" etc. Business as usual.

Just random impressions for the Alliance Alive 3DS demo.

First of all this feels a lot better than Legend of Legacy did (I only played the demo for that but it was pretty boring). The story seems simple but nice in a way. The graphics were clean and the battle system felt similar to Legend of Legacy but clean. Skill learning is the same with using a certain weapon's skills will sometimes cause you to learn new ones, or upgrade the skills. I'm not sure about multiple protagonists. Overall I think this will be a simpler throwback RPG in the Romancing Saga style that looks a lot better than its predecessor. I'll get the game somewhere down the line.

If you beat the demo (about an hour or hour and a half to beat) you get 4000 skill points for passive skills and whatever skill points you earn up to 2000 I think. I recommend that if you are going to get this game.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but it looks like Amazon might not attach the Prime preorder discount to the Draconic Launch Edition for Shining Resonance:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YQKVFH/ - $49.99, no discount

https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Resonance-Refrain-Standard-PlayStation-4/dp/B079YHQVHX/ - $49.99, $39.99 Prime discount displayed (Standard Edition)
No discount for the standard Switch version (yet?) either. That goes for a lot of Switch game preorders.

Meanwhile, Yakuza 6 is pretty fun. I'm on Chapter 8
lucky I wish I would have gotten that. Not like I would ever play it considering I still have 4 unopened in my backlog from when I bought my ps3 >.>

I am having a lovely time with fire emblem echoes shadows of valentia at least. Minus how much of a giant stuck up bitch the princess is. Makes me miss estelle and natalia from tales of. or the one from cold steel.

Claire isn't too likable either though at least you can just blame that on her being dumb and having limited interaction with bumpkins. At the very least she shows some respect to alm.

Also is the peddler a cameo from path of radiance or is it just similar character design? Because he looks an awful lot like the oldest brother from that game.

Nice to see est palla and catria again. Wish caeda was here to show the girls how a real lady fights though.

Darn it, Play-Asia emailed me to say the Asian (English subs) version of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 isn't available. Did they have fewer than 10 copies of these games or something? :bomb:

As if my Monday couldn't get worse....

If this is gonna be based off that Sonic movie then

giphy.gif

But if it's Sumo Digital announcing Sonic & All Stars Racing 3 we might have something good.

Now if they'll just make Outrun 3....
I have it on good authority that the next Sonic Racing game will be specific to the Sonic franchise (not All-Stars), that it will include a build-your-own track feature, cost $39.99 and feature buckets of DLC. Releasing some point this year, initially scheduled for spring.

They're all really nice. I like 1, 2, 3 and 6. All just really gorgeous scenery. I also narrowed it down to 1 and 6, but ultimately went with 6.

Quick Lol at square for charging $15 for the royal edition content for FFXV, which is supposed to be the "proper ending" on top of the $25 dollar season pass. (And not including the incoming season pass 2)

Will wait till the royal edition is $15 on BF to resell the disc and get the dlc for free.

It still makes me laugh, regarding the crappy cover art that Falcom/Xseed/Dotemu (I'm assuming that it's Dotemu holding the rights) chose to have LRG release on Ys Origins.  It's like they purposely wanted them to have really crappy cover art.  Look at those Ys VIII choices; every single one of them is much better.

They should've just used the Japanese PC cover, but eh, the primary one is fine. I doubt the game has even a quarter of the official artwork that Ys VIII has. NISA is still probably trying to garner favor for the huge clusterfuck they had with the PC version along with the original translation (Which I hear hasn't improved much). At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the Switch version released before the PC version. Now that would be hilariously sad.

Free weekly PSN junk:

Horizon: Zero Dawn

PS4

- Anniversary Dynamic Theme

- Anniversary Avatar Pack

Sprint Vector

PS4

- Theme

Real Farm

PS4

- Sexy Fern LVLR Avatar

- Sexy Mammoth PP4+ Avatar

- Sexy Rival PH-4 Avatar

March PS+ Games

Still no Yakuza 6 demo since they took down the mistake it seems. Decided to add the Sprint Vector stuff since there were a bunch of free avatars for the hell of it. Since I added those, I figured I should add in the Real Farm avatars as a joke since they also released for free this week. Man do they look bad. I can't believe some of the stuff that can pass off as an avatar honestly.

Ultimately, I went with 4, because 6 would look better as a poster instead of a game cover.

1 and 6 would be better as posters, 2 is ok but too plain for something not Heavy Rain, 3 is too generic Western cover, 5 looks like it belongs on the inside of a steelbook.

Girls in Glasses Impression:

I'll be honest, this visual novel is not super impressive. It is a doujin effort, and it sounded interesting enough. Honestly it's a very simple game where you play a guy and are kind of bored in school, and it's spring and you meet 3 girls with glasses and have a friend with glasses.

The story is really very simple where you interact with said 3 girls and your friend and start up some romance and such. I actually somewhat liked the simplicity.

The visuals were honestly pretty well done other than one girl having a big forehead. It's not as noticeable later, but it is at first. The other 2 are decently cute and well drawn though. It honestly felt somewhat like something I would see in Majikoi or Da Capo or a bunch of other school based VN.

The music is pretty forgettable and  I had to turn it down as the voices weren't loud enough. It was annoying but not terrible. The voices were well done, though the main guys childhood friend has a pretty annoying voice.

The game is very short and I pretty much completed everything in about 6 hours or maybe less. The stories were OK for the most part, with a bit of slice of life and some drama here and there. The problem was it didn't have a good epilogue or stuff showing more about the relationships. It also commits the cardinal sin of ending where the story should begin and open up. Also hoodie girl's route had an error in it that messes up a scene. You can still see her ending by skipping the scene. Hopefully Denpasoft patches that.

I would recommend the game for super cheap like $2 or so, but honestly it's more of a pass. It's not deep enough, and the stories zoom by after completing the first one. They also could have had maybe 1 or 2 more routes too as 3 was not enough. Wasn't expensive, but not worth its full price. 

5.5/10

Watch Senran Kagura’s Creator Play Gal*Gun 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZ23D2y0Ng

Fate/Extella Link Karna, Iskandar, Archimedes, and Altera short gameplay videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2C8Vdc1P9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTaMKQfoPMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewiydWUzHE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoTI029G4lU

Record of Grancrest War Has Events And Battles From The Novel With Your Own Tactics

PS Plus Japan Gets Bloodborne, Downwell, And Metal Slug Anthology For March 2018

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/971172798126174208

Do note that it's considerably more expensive than it was when it released in japan(12,870yen or approx $120+shipping).

But it's pretty much sold out everywhere now and the places that do still have it are charging more than this.

Wow, that Purple Heart figure is pretty expensive....even if it is 1/7th scale.

I've kinda held off on buying scale figures for a while since I don't have any more room for them lol.

I believe the last one I got was last year in August, I think? (the 1/8th scale sleepy Nep with the dogoo pillow thing)

I also haven't recently seen any figures that I NEED, which is kinda good since that used to burn a huge hole in my wallet....

Now I can just focus that money on adding more games to my backlog, that I will never get to play  ;)

bread's done
Back